Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

RE: Go North East
Re the 71. It just runs backwards and forwards all day as a stand alone service.
There were comments on the old gne facebook discussion board about linking it with the Seaham bus.
My thoughts are that as it was/is - it is neglected. Passengers for however many years along the route, were used to a decker continuing to Hartlepool or Newcastle as a 231, 735 or 21a for however many years.
Curtailing it at Chester le Street and stopping the Sunderland section of the route seems to confirm my thoughts.
There isnt going to be another bus from Chester le Street to Newcastle, but passengers are left with an substandard service in the mean time.
When the ex-london darts were used, GNE found that the service suffered with overcrowding, so introduced the mpd's onto the route and then in turn reduced its mileage. Make what you can out of that.

Re X10 to Leeds. There did used to be a Northern service to Leeds. But as pointed out, a train would be quicker and tacho laws nowadays would restrict driving hours.

RE X7. I said weeks ago, that if GNE were so determined to make this a success, newer buses would have been used.
As it is, spare vehicles from the fleet have been alocated and despite them being reliable engines, seem to be having problems. Parked up in a layby last week, one screamed past me up the incline from Castle Eden on its way to Peterlee.
If GNE continue using these vehicles, then passengers are not going to build up any loyalty towards the service. Missing Dalton Park was a mistake, using unsuitable vehicles is an even bigger mistake
(07 Apr 2013, 3:37 am)Andreos1 wrote RE X7. I said weeks ago, that if GNE were so determined to make this a success, newer buses would have been used.
As it is, spare vehicles from the fleet have been alocated and despite them being reliable engines, seem to be having problems. Parked up in a layby last week, one screamed past me up the incline from Castle Eden on its way to Peterlee.
If GNE continue using these vehicles, then passengers are not going to build up any loyalty towards the service. Missing Dalton Park was a mistake, using unsuitable vehicles is an even bigger mistake

Okay, explain where newer buses could have come from? Answer - nowhere. It was the B10BLEs or nothing! All other buses are already tied up with a route (and before anyone says the OmniCitys at Percy Main, those are already earmarked for the 19 and the 9). And I will repeat what I said previously, start low to aim high - otherwise the X7 will end up like the X3, up for withdrawal within less than two years after it started!
Also, missing Dalton Park wasn't a mistake. I have been through there on an Arriva 24 before at half 4 in the afternoon once, and there was nobody there waiting for either that nor the 61 that came in behind us and went straight back out again. Go North East chose the quickest route between Peterlee and Sunderland which also allowed them to cut the 202 back to Seaham.
As for the B10BLEs, give them time - it might only be teething troubles that can be easily sorted.
Site Administrator
Merit 8264 rather disappointingly taking the place of an articulated Solar Fusion on 40As today... Hopefully will be replaced - I shall keep you posted.
(07 Apr 2013, 7:37 am)Kuyoyo wrote
(07 Apr 2013, 3:37 am)Andreos1 wrote RE X7. I said weeks ago, that if GNE were so determined to make this a success, newer buses would have been used.

Okay, explain where newer buses could have come from? Answer - nowhere. It was the B10BLEs or nothing! All other buses are already tied up with a route (and before anyone says the OmniCitys at Percy Main, those are already earmarked for the 19 and the 9). And I will repeat what I said previously, start low to aim high - otherwise the X7 will end up like the X3, up for withdrawal within less than two years after it started!
Also, missing Dalton Park wasn't a mistake. I have been through there on an Arriva 24 before at half 4 in the afternoon once, and there was nobody there waiting for either that nor the 61 that came in behind us and went straight back out again. Go North East chose the quickest route between Peterlee and Sunderland which also allowed them to cut the 202 back to Seaham.
As for the B10BLEs, give them time - it might only be teething troubles that can be easily sorted.

I understand there werent spare vehicles. That was pretty obvious. What Im saying is that if GNE were convinced it would be a success and their planning forecasts identified loading capacity - then newer vehicles would have been used and it would have had a massive launch just like other new routes had in recent years.
The vehicles being used could have gone onto another route with a similar pvr and swapped - even temporarily. Several of the Scanias on the M1 would have been ideal, bearing in mind similar vehicles have covered the X9/X10 and are supposedly being taken off the M1 later this year anyway. A handful of the cascaded Volvos appear on the M1 daily too.

Your 24 and the 61 - where did that come from/go to? I made the point previously that unless you live in Seaham (or anywhere along the Stockton Road corridoor from Sunderland), then getting to Dalton Park (which is soon to be extended to include a cinema etc) from anywhere else on public transport, is very difficult. No wonder buses are dead if every few minutes a Seaham bus trundles in and out.
I dont live that far from Dalton Park (in what is a massive catchment area for the biggest retail park of its type between the Tyne and Tees). Previously it took two buses to get there and one of those was on the 203, which went via the world and Seaham. Now it is 3 buses, which involves a change at Seaham or Hetton. It is the same for those on the X7, to get there, involves a change at Peterlee or Seaham, or like me they just dont bother...

As for the X3 - there hasnt been a bus between Sunderland and Newcastle via Newcastle Road/Boldon that has worked yet.
(07 Apr 2013, 7:37 am)Kuyoyo wrote Okay, explain where newer buses could have come from? Answer - nowhere. It was the B10BLEs or nothing!

No need to get so arsey about it Blush. It's a fair comment that's been made. It must be completely embarrassing to Go North East to launch a new route, and then for it to be plagued with breakdowns.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
(07 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm)BusStop wrote
(06 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Theres a few more snaps of the x40 artics on Focus Transport (taken by Sean Blair):

http://www.focustransport2011.blogspot.c...ed-on.html

Which stop is this service going to be using on Blackett Street?

I can see it being carnage.

According to Nexus, it's the western-most bus stop which shares with the Stagecoach 12 -

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/08NC23.pdf
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm)Wellsey18 wrote How do you get these bus stop things a was looking on the nexus website and a couldn't find how to

Déjà vu, anyone? Wink
See this post, haha.
(07 Apr 2013, 1:11 pm)Brandon wrote
(07 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm)BusStop wrote
(06 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Theres a few more snaps of the x40 artics on Focus Transport (taken by Sean Blair):

http://www.focustransport2011.blogspot.c...ed-on.html

Which stop is this service going to be using on Blackett Street?

I can see it being carnage.

According to Nexus, it's the western-most bus stop which shares with the Stagecoach 12 -

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/08NC23.pdf

So a Double Decker and a Bendy will be attempting to use the stop (Monday to Friday) at

Then at 56 minutes past the hour until 1556.

And on a Saturday

0836 and at 56 minutes past until 1556.

I wasn't joking when I said it wasn't a good route to use and this timetable proves it in my opinion.
(07 Apr 2013, 11:11 am)Daniel wrote Merit 8264 rather disappointingly taking the place of an articulated Solar Fusion on 40As today... Hopefully will be replaced - I shall keep you posted.

That is the allocation for 40A, bendies on X40 only.
Site Administrator
(07 Apr 2013, 8:16 pm)park5354 wrote
(07 Apr 2013, 11:11 am)Daniel wrote Merit 8264 rather disappointingly taking the place of an articulated Solar Fusion on 40As today... Hopefully will be replaced - I shall keep you posted.

That is the allocation for 40A, bendies on X40 only.

Yes, I understand that now.
I completely disregarded Brandon's theory that it wouldn't be a Solar Fusion because of the tight bend.
Ticket Prices
Has anyone seen the conversation on the GNE twitter feed about the childs fare to Chester le Street from Houghton?

A single, without a key card apparently costs £3.15!
Is it just me, or is that ridiculous?
(08 Apr 2013, 9:43 am)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen the conversation on the GNE twitter feed about the childs fare to Chester le Street from Houghton?

That is a ridiculous fare, for both child and adult alike. For a mere £5.35 more, I have travelled down to London on a coach with leather seats, plug sockets and wifi.

I hate the whole key card thing. Fair enough, getting towards 15/16 it may be difficult to ascertain how old the child is but 11 year old's still look like, well, children. To me, a child is someone who is still of school-age and therefore should be entitled to the customary subsidised fare. I remember back in the day getting issued with a green-coloured travel pass thing which proved you were still at school. Something like that should be produced for all school children across the entire country. Surely, that would be better than the Key Card, the POP card, Arriva's equivalent, Stagecoach's equivalent and so forth.
Its bonkers.
Thats a good deal to London - but my 99p flight to Prague 7 years ago takes some beating haha.
I only paid a few pence more than the £3.15 fare myself on the X1 from Newcastle to Houghton a few months back

As pointed out in the twitter conversation, it is cheaper to get a Tyne Tees Day Ranger and hop on and off the train all day across the entire North East for the 11 year old, than it is to spend half an hour in each direction on the bus to and from Chester!
The £8.50/£10.50 National Express fares between Newcastle and London are available most days. I've been on it quite a few times over the past year and have always managed to get two seats to myself. It doesn't seem to get full despite it stopping at Durham, Darlo, and, on a couple of occasions, Leeds.
Hi all,

Me and Brandon were chatting on Facebook last night, and we have suggested the 17 will be branded 'The Centurion'. I was told it will be branded this, but what does everyone else think?
The ex-Beeston Volvo B10BLE 4993: S590 KJF has been withdrawn due to chassis problems.

such a shame to.

VOSA changes...

B0002400/447 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Sunderland Park Lane Interchange and Usworth Coach Road Estate given service number 73 effective from 02-Jun-2013.

PB0002400/466 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Roker Gladstone Street and Doxford Interntional Technology park given service number 592 effective from 02-Jun-2013.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(08 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm)AdamY wrote The £8.50/£10.50 National Express fares between Newcastle and London are available most days. I've been on it quite a few times over the past year and have always managed to get two seats to myself. It doesn't seem to get full despite it stopping at Durham, Darlo, and, on a couple of occasions, Leeds.

I think the difference is National Express have competition between the North East and London, hence the attractive fares. GNE can charge what they like and if people don't have an alternative - they're stuck.

Personally, I prefer the train to London, but can't argue with a good deal like that. Potentially getting to London for not much more than a kids journey to Chester le Street and back says it all for me.

(08 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm)Michael wrote The ex-Beeston Volvo B10BLE 4993: S590 KJF has been withdrawn due to chassis problems.

such a shame to

That explains why it was in Saltmeadows for so long. It seems strange it had been playing up mechanically leading up to being put up on the ramps - mentioned on here it was spotted in Durham on a 50 playing up and I saw it struggling on a 28/28a.

(08 Apr 2013, 1:06 pm)W179SCU wrote Hi all,

Me and Brandon were chatting on Facebook last night, and we have suggested the 17 will be branded 'The Centurion'. I was told it will be branded this, but what does everyone else think?

Is it right the old West Durham Swift vehicles are being used?
If so, it would make sense saving on a repaint, with the old Centurion vehicles being red
Site Administrator
I still don't think that the "Centurion" branding will be restored to the yellow dual-door B10BLEs.
Despite drivers discussing this with enthusiasts, we all know from past experience not to take what drivers say as gospel.

As these B10BLEs are supposedly due for withdrawal at the end of this year, I've always thought that, if they were to receive branding, it would be a relatively cheap brand to be applied as it's only until the end of this year anyway.

The Omnicitys are being used on services 9 and 19.
(08 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm)Michael wrote B0002400/447 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Sunderland Park Lane Interchange and Usworth Coach Road Estate given service number 73 effective from 02-Jun-2013.

Interesting. Teal Farm left without a single bus service again.
(08 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm)Michael wrote B0002400/447 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA

It will probleys change to a diffrent company, sure i seen on VOSA it was compass (not 100% though), once again... NEXUS change a contract service and we cant use our GNE passes....
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Compass Community Transport are taking it over - I'm sure Scott (tyresmoke) made a note of this not so long ago.

EDIT: Yes, see here.
(08 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote It will probleys change to a diffrent company, sure i seen on VOSA it was compass (not 100% though), once again... NEXUS change a contract service and we cant use our GNE passes....

Yep, that's the problem. I resent the fact I can't use my GNE pass on the 37 to Doxford, when I'm forking out £100 a month. Thankfully I only need to head over that way 1 or 2 days a month now.
(08 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote

It will probleys change to a diffrent company, sure i seen on VOSA it was compass (not 100% though), once again... NEXUS change a contract service and we cant use our GNE passes....

Yes, It will be nexus doing the usually secured contracts again as Arriva secured 26A will be withdrawn from the same date aswell, possible the GNE would possible making there North Side Sunderland changes from that date aswell?.

(08 Apr 2013, 9:43 am)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen the conversation on the GNE twitter feed about the childs fare to Chester le Street from Houghton?

The reason behind it being so expensive is due to the boundary for county durham at Picktree and the Cricket ground at Chester le Street.

So basically you have the fare from Nexus as far Picktree for example then whatever the fare is on the County Durham side is, but for a child that is expensive. Think it's over £4.00 for an Adult.