You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

RE: Go North East
(08 Apr 2013, 9:43 am)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen the conversation on the GNE twitter feed about the childs fare to Chester le Street from Houghton?

A single, without a key card apparently costs £3.15!
Is it just me, or is that ridiculous?

Yea, I retweeted one of Andy's tweets and got mentioned in the last one of the conversation.

Single fares are just being pushed to the point they'll become obsolete. It's almost that way with a 'cheap' day return now. You might as well pay the extra 20p or so to get a day ticket, which is ultimately what GNE will want you to do. The reason I say that is because it will increase the average fare on the data they provide for the formula which is used to calculate the concessionary travel reimbursement.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
Regarding the "Wear Tees Xpress" Renown which had a bump not so long back:
This is also said to have had a minor collision with a vehicle on Arriva's X66 service in Middlesbrough Bus Station.
(08 Apr 2013, 7:05 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 9:43 am)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen the conversation on the GNE twitter feed about the childs fare to Chester le Street from Houghton?

The reason behind it being so expensive is due to the boundary for county durham at Picktree and the Cricket ground at Chester le Street.

So basically you have the fare from Nexus as far Picktree for example then whatever the fare is on the County Durham side is, but for a child that is expensive. Think it's over £4.00 for an Adult.

The County Boundary coming from Houghton is at Fencehouses Railway crossing.
I use the 20/20a to Durham once every two weeks and from Houghton to Durham for an adult fair, isn't far off the quoted childs fare to Chester le Street. So the Nexus fare, carries the child 2-3 miles (10mins due to the route the 71 takes) and then GNE charge the rest for a 20min journey.
Profiteering at its highest level

(08 Apr 2013, 7:23 pm)aureolin wrote

Yea, I retweeted one of Andy's tweets and got mentioned in the last one of the conversation.

Single fares are just being pushed to the point they'll become obsolete. It's almost that way with a 'cheap' day return now. You might as well pay the extra 20p or so to get a day ticket, which is ultimately what GNE will want you to do. The reason I say that is because it will increase the average fare on the data they provide for the formula which is used to calculate the concessionary travel reimbursement.

Judging by the comments on the tweet, GNE have lost the fare of one child and at least one adult tomorrow for an alternative and cheaper option using the Pop Card.
Cant say I blame the guy.

Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know how the Network Tickets or Pop card works?
Do the bus companies get a share or percentage of each ticket?
(08 Apr 2013, 7:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote

The reason behind it being so expensive is due to the boundary for county durham at Picktree and the Cricket ground at Chester le Street.

So basically you have the fare from Nexus as far Picktree for example then whatever the fare is on the County Durham side is, but for a child that is expensive. Think it's over £4.00 for an Adult.

I use the 20/20a to Durham once every two weeks and from Houghton to Durham for an adult fair, isn't far off the quoted childs fare to Chester le Street. So the Nexus fare, carries the child 2-3 miles (10mins due to the route the 71 takes) and then GNE charge the rest for a 20min journey.

Judging by the comments on the tweet, GNE have lost the fare of one child and at least one adult tomorrow for an alternative and cheaper option using the Pop Card.

Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know how the Network Tickets or Pop card works?

The Pop Card is for under 18's, was 16's which enables to travel on day a ticket for £1.10 anywhere in Tyne and Wear, Single fare is between 50p and 80p I believe. I believe if the Ticket is purchased on a GNE bus for example then they get the cost of that fare. As for the Network Tickets I have no idea.
(08 Apr 2013, 8:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote

The Pop Card is for under 18's, was 16's which enables to travel on day a ticket for £1.10 anywhere in Tyne and Wear, Single fare is between 50p and 80p I believe. I believe if the Ticket is purchased on a GNE bus for example then they get the cost of that fare. As for the Network Tickets I have no idea.

The 'Pop' card is 60p for a single ticket and £1.10 for a all day ticket. I'd imagine they would get a share/percentage of each ticket...
(08 Apr 2013, 8:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote

No more than an educated guess, but I'm assuming the ITA pay everything above the 90p fare in the form of a reimbursement to the operator. My thinking around that comes from the fact Durham County Council no longer "fund" such fares.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(08 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm)idiot wrote On another matter - is there any need to quote a quote of a quote when replying?!

Whats wrong with it?
To me the Tyne Tees Express would be ideal for an Oxford Tube style vehicle but as Rob says its a Heworth to Boldon for some
(08 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm)Andreos1 wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm)idiot wrote On another matter - is there any need to quote a quote of a quote when replying?!

Whats wrong with it?

Makes the posts incredibly long. Some would say bad forum etiquette and some I frequent don't allow it.
There are more Nexus tenders out for starting on 28/07/13 and 02/09/13, have been sent the details but I'm on the bus to work so can't remember exactly what was what but they're mainly for GNE routes.
Site Administrator
(09 Apr 2013, 9:55 am)Andreos1 wrote Also, there was a Drifter Cadet working on the x35 this morning.

I know before the recent changes, the X35 interworked with the 61/38, thus meaning it had a "Drifter" Cadet each morning.
Not sure if it still does this though..!

The departure from Park Lane was before 08:00am though, as I used to see it every school morning when I went in early rather than late!
Never knew they interworked on a Morning - this would have been around 8.30 (ish) not far from Houghton, so it is possibly still the case.

Just after 7 tonight, there was a 20a pulling into Park Lane worked by a Fab 56. Ive seen those vehicles covering the Prince Bishops a few times including a time I was using it - so not that unusual.
Regular
38 interworks with 238 and ran by deptford depot it is cheaper than running it than peterlee depot due to mileage incase anyone is interested yesterday a Washington Street Shuttle was on M1
Site Administrator
(09 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm)korn90 wrote 38 interworks with 238 and ran by deptford depot it is cheaper than running it than peterlee depot due to mileage incase anyone is interested yesterday a Washington Street Shuttle was on M1

As far I was aware, the 38/238 do not interwork? I mean, I could be wrong (as I often am), but I'd say the timetable suggests that they don't interwork as well.
I was going to use logic to dictate that it wasn't, given that the 38 does not go under a brand and the 238 goes under the "East Durham" brand, but you know... 38/61, from before the changes.

38s depart Park Lane: 09/29 mins past each hour.
38s arrive/depart Tunstall Bank: 33/53 mins past each hour.
38s arrive Park Lane: 59/19 mins past each hour.

If the 38s were to interwork with the 238, they'd have 30-40 mins waiting time in Park Lane as the 238 departs 49 mins past each hour.

It seems that many Deptford drivers are still using the same vehicle allocation as they were using from before the changes though - "Drifter" branded Cadets! Every day this week, a "Drifter" branded Cadet has been used on the 38, leaving the 61 stuck with "Northern" branded Cadets. I don't believe any "Drifter" branded Cadets have been used this week, and if there has been any used, it's only been the one... An unaccounted for Cadet was on "Drifter" service 60 yesterday too - something which, before a few weeks ago, was quite rare!
Site Administrator
Correction as to what I said yesterday...
I'm assuming the 61/X35 do still interwork on one board only. It must arrive before 8am, but departs at 08:05am on a Doxxy Park short.

Drifter Cadet 58 is on that bored today - which was also the one that was on the 38s yesterday!
Im trying to think where the X35 was when I saw it - I know it was after 8, but before 8.30 (Im no good on a morning) and it was heading away from Sunderland.
Either way, looking at the timetable - it has to be the short working to Doxford.

At least the mystery is solved!
(08 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm)cbma06 wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm)Michael wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 6:23 pm)aureolin wrote
(08 Apr 2013, 4:29 pm)Michael wrote B0002400/447 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Sunderland Park Lane Interchange and Usworth Coach Road Estate given service number 73 effective from 02-Jun-2013.

Interesting. Teal Farm left without a single bus service again.

It will probleys change to a diffrent company, sure i seen on VOSA it was compass (not 100% though), once again... NEXUS change a contract service and we cant use our GNE passes....

Yes, It will be nexus doing the usually secured contracts again as Arriva secured 26A will be withdrawn from the same date aswell, possible the GNE would possible making there North Side Sunderland changes from that date aswell?.

On VOSA today :-

PB0002400/491 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: SUNDERLAND PARK INTERCHANGE
Finish Point: WASHINGTON GALLERIES BUS STATION
Via: CASTLETOWN, CONCORD, BIDDICK
Service Number: 73
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 02-JUN-2013
Other Details: Monday to Saturday ( except public holidays )

Note that it runs Park Lane - Galleries.
Site Administrator
(10 Apr 2013, 7:06 am)Daniel wrote Correction as to what I said yesterday...
I'm assuming the 61/X35 do still interwork on one board only. It must arrive before 8am, but departs at 08:05am on a Doxxy Park short.

Drifter Cadet 58 is on that bored today - which was also the one that was on the 38s yesterday!

It would seem that it was the 38 that the X35 interworked with before, and not the 61. 8258 was on the 16:09ish 38 departure. Easy mistake to make, given that the 38 and 61 used to interwork also - prior to the recent changes!
That said, I'm making this assumption on the fact a "Drifter" branded Cadet hasn't replaced a vehicle working the 38s each day (and I'm sure you'll agree one of those is more unlikely than the other)!

Also, "Laser" Scania 4946 is on the 61 today. I haven't seen it during the course of my day at school, and, being situated on Stockton Road, I usually have a good eye for the allocations through the day on services X7, 42, 60 and 61. This would suggest in my eyes (though it may have gone by unnoticed while I've been working in a lesson) that it wasn't originally allocated for today, and was a replacement for a vehicle that was originally on there - perhaps the President which I saw on the 08:02 departure (will verify timings when I get back home to prove this) as I didn't see that later in the day either!
What is of more significance is the fact it has a broken destination blind, yet it does not carry a piece of paper with the service it is operating on it. I told the driver, and he was already aware. It's times like these that odd allocations are really bad. If you can only view the side-blind on a vehicle, what really is the point if the service is on the same route as other services which it could get mixed up with? Its doors are also broken. Driver had to get out on three occasions to open/close them in the short time I was on the bus.
The vehicle itself wasn't fit for purpose, which makes you wonder why a more suitable candidate wasn't chosen from the depot!
No idea why as traffic was fine on the A1 but all the Pronto's were coming through Low Fell & Birtley this afternoon.

6034 had a broken audio which happily announced 'The next stop is the Angel of the North' at every single stop. Driver said only an engineer could turn it off
New Website
Simplygo.com has had an update, the main changes are to the Homepage also it seems GNE have made the site more simplistic for those who use the Keycard/M-Ticket and for those using Mobile/Tablet Devices whilst on the move. More info on this link. http://www.simplygo.com/news/welcome-to-...implygocom

Also only a small piece of fleet news Volvo Olympian 3922: R281 LGH has been sold to North East Bus & Coach, Stockton.
(10 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm)Liam wrote X40 broken down on John Dobson Street now.

Tut, thats a good start. One of the bendies was it?
Site Administrator
In general, I can't say I'm a fan of the new website. I'm basing my reasons for this primarily because of one reason, but shall explain my views in this post nevertheless.

Though the homepage to me does appear to be "cramped", packed with full of information, I do like the new style. The sheer amount of things on there does make me dislike it, but the "curvey" rectangles are what makes it for me. It has a little bit more style, and looks more modern. Having said that, it irritates me a little that the company Go North East use to design their website have not changed one bit of coding whatsoever.

I'm still not certain what the function of the "Places to Go" page is. I've always seen massive potential for this page, and it seems like it has been devoted to applications for customers' mobile devices, rather than for ideas of where to go! On the radio station Sun FM's website, a page devoted to "Half Price Days Out" has been created. I've always imagined a similar page for Go North East to have huge potential. In my mind, this page could have included a few places where you can get to (with the kids, perhaps) and which buses you can use to get there - also listing of any discounts you can get if you travel by bus (i.e. Beamish Museum).

I'm not sure if the page existed before, but the "About Us" page is brilliant. It provides a good read (mainly for the enthusiast) but provides statistics for potential passengers - perhaps coming from another town or something, which could persuade them to use GNE's buses as opposed to another operator's.
I don't think it did exist before, because the map on that page was the first "new website" image to be uploaded. See URL below:
http://www.simplygo.com/uploads/ImageRoo...s/1948.gif
Numbers before 1948 don't work - they direct to the home page (with the exception of those images that remained from the old website).

"Our Services"... here's the fun one!
I detest how Go North East are using these paper bus-style drawings on everything. I like how GNE are becoming uniform with both their website and the timetables, but dislike the use of the actual drawings. Just in case anyone doesn't understand what I mean by 'paper bus-style drawings', an example is given below:
[Image: 1998.gif].
I have previously e-mailed Go North East about updating the previous images that were used (see example on link below - they have been replaced with the newer style image now, so can't give a direct image from their website):
http://d.pr/i/6zDN
A lot of the images were outdated, and I (rather kindly) offered for Go North East to use images from my Flickr photostream. This offer was made after I was told by someone who lives in Isle of Man that my images were 'professional' and I should consider contacting the Marketing Department to see if they wanted to use them, while I would be making a little bit of cash (or ticket alternative too)! I did actually offer for GNE to use them free of charge though. No reply to that e-mail - but I'm going to e-mail again!
On the "Angel" service page, a map for "Toon Link" services 11/11A is given.
On the "Blaydon Racers" and "Crusader" service pages, the Euro 2 image has remained, despite their upgrade to Euro 5 (see below):
[Image: 1365.jpg]
"Tyne Tees Xpress" uses Euro 3 vehicles - did you know?
[Image: 1333.jpg]
The "Route 19" brand remains, despite now being defunct.
And finally, those service pages without any image whatsoever include: "Great Park X40", "North Tyne Links", "Route 19", "The OK Way", "The OK Express Way" and "The Waggonway".

Anyone else have any opinions? Or perhaps know any mistakes I haven't spotted..?
(10 Apr 2013, 4:39 pm)Daniel wrote In general, I can't say I'm a fan of the new website. I'm basing my reasons for this primarily because of one reason, but shall explain my
Anyone else have any opinions? Or perhaps know any mistakes I haven't spotted..?

There's still no brand for the X7... Wear Tee's XPRESS.

Post from park5354

On VOSA today :-

PB0002400/491 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: SUNDERLAND PARK INTERCHANGE
Finish Point: WASHINGTON GALLERIES BUS STATION
Via: CASTLETOWN, CONCORD, BIDDICK
Service Number: 73
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 02-JUN-2013
Other Details: Monday to Saturday ( except public holidays )

Finnaly.. Nexus has listened to people, i did email them to extend it to the galleries, i also had the idea on this forum (i think), looks like a few other people has emailed them the idea.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
I'd also like to know where the image of the Drifter branded Cadet is!
Versa's there for the 60 - but what about the 61? Wink

EDIT: Really, an image like this would be more suitable, as it shows both kinds of vehicles that operate the 60/61. Having said that, the Cadet just had to be operating the 60 as opposed to the 61, on that occasion! (danielgrahamm)
Odd workings today:
5324 on the X3
8319 on the X35
8273 on the 38
4946 on the 61
I like the rebranded site, I hate the key app, its hopeless so adding functionality for mobiles to your main site is a good move as most people accessing it will now be on the move so to speak.

The only pointless thing for me is the Video page on the front
Regular
(10 Apr 2013, 6:43 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote Odd workings today:
5324 on the X3
8319 on the X35
8273 on the 38
4946 on the 61

Loop 5226 on the 27
Coaster 5251 on the 309
One glitch or problem I have just found, is the 'plan your journey' bit.
Never really used the old website, but I had seen it had been re-jigged so had a quick look

The plan your journey section obviously uses some sort of link using key words in the timetables, rather than other similar sites that uses different methods.
So a journey from Houghton to Fencehouses isn't found. A journey from Houghton to Fence Houses is found.

Also, because of the link to the timetables, if you want to find a journey from Houghton to Castletown to pick up your car from its MOT say - then because there isn't a direct bus between the two places, your search returns no results.