Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Pages (40) Previous 126 27 2840 Next
Tom

24 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm #521
(24 Mar 2014, 9:19 pm)Dan I won!

£19.50 plus £4.50 postage - more than I'd expected to pay, but hey! Would have been £60 in the shop.

Ah brilliant Wink
Tom
24 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm #521

(24 Mar 2014, 9:19 pm)Dan I won!

£19.50 plus £4.50 postage - more than I'd expected to pay, but hey! Would have been £60 in the shop.

Ah brilliant Wink

Wellsey18

24 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm #522
(24 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm)Tom 3 X ''North Tyne Links'' MPD's.
I saw a B10BLE and a Lolyne doing the 17A.

Phoenix should have started today shouldn't they?
Wellsey18
24 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm #522

(24 Mar 2014, 8:33 pm)Tom 3 X ''North Tyne Links'' MPD's.
I saw a B10BLE and a Lolyne doing the 17A.

Phoenix should have started today shouldn't they?

Tom

24 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm #523
On the 17A? Thought it was only the night time 17's?
I haven't saw the 17, but the 40/41/17A cycle had 3 X MPD's, a B10BLE and a Lolyne from what I saw, certainly doesn't justify it. 548, 567 and 569 were on the 40, while 5153 and a Un-ID Lolyne was on the 17's.

EDIT: Just checked, Phoenix are only operating the short 17's (Churchill Street-Cramlington), not the 17A too. Apologies, I thought you mean the Wallsend-Whitley Bay 17.
Tom
24 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm #523

On the 17A? Thought it was only the night time 17's?
I haven't saw the 17, but the 40/41/17A cycle had 3 X MPD's, a B10BLE and a Lolyne from what I saw, certainly doesn't justify it. 548, 567 and 569 were on the 40, while 5153 and a Un-ID Lolyne was on the 17's.

EDIT: Just checked, Phoenix are only operating the short 17's (Churchill Street-Cramlington), not the 17A too. Apologies, I thought you mean the Wallsend-Whitley Bay 17.

Wellsey18

24 Mar 2014, 10:02 pm #524
(24 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm)Tom On the 17A? Thought it was only the night time 17's?

No no I meant the rose hill cramlington one, I saw high back seated solo at wallsend at abut 17:45 then as I was passing through forest hall i saw one of them little tiny solo sr's didn't know if it had just came off the k1/2
Wellsey18
24 Mar 2014, 10:02 pm #524

(24 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm)Tom On the 17A? Thought it was only the night time 17's?

No no I meant the rose hill cramlington one, I saw high back seated solo at wallsend at abut 17:45 then as I was passing through forest hall i saw one of them little tiny solo sr's didn't know if it had just came off the k1/2

Tom

24 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm #525
(24 Mar 2014, 10:02 pm)Wellsey18 No no I meant the rose hill cramlington one, I saw high back seated solo at wallsend at abut 17:45 then as I was passing through forest hall i saw one of them little tiny solo sr's didn't know if it had just came off the k1/2

I think Michael was right about it being confusing Wink
I'm guessing the Solo from the K1/K2 would be used, the ASDA rider from the A1/A2/A3, and the plain white solo from the Blyth locals. A lot of dead mileage Undecided
The 19 would be operated by whatever worked the 333.
Tom
24 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm #525

(24 Mar 2014, 10:02 pm)Wellsey18 No no I meant the rose hill cramlington one, I saw high back seated solo at wallsend at abut 17:45 then as I was passing through forest hall i saw one of them little tiny solo sr's didn't know if it had just came off the k1/2

I think Michael was right about it being confusing Wink
I'm guessing the Solo from the K1/K2 would be used, the ASDA rider from the A1/A2/A3, and the plain white solo from the Blyth locals. A lot of dead mileage Undecided

Wellsey18

24 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm #526
(24 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm)Tom I think Michael was right about it being confusing Wink
Probably not a bad guess haha, just hoping I can still scan my get around weekly ticket on them, been assured by gne I can, whether or not this is true remains to be seen!
Wellsey18
24 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm #526

(24 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm)Tom I think Michael was right about it being confusing Wink
Probably not a bad guess haha, just hoping I can still scan my get around weekly ticket on them, been assured by gne I can, whether or not this is true remains to be seen!

Tom

24 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm #527
(24 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm)Wellsey18 Probably not a bad guess haha, just hoping I can still scan my get around weekly ticket on them, been assured by gne I can, whether or not this is true remains to be seen!

Phoenix drivers are usually very nice, unlike the Arriva ones.
Tom
24 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm #527

(24 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm)Wellsey18 Probably not a bad guess haha, just hoping I can still scan my get around weekly ticket on them, been assured by gne I can, whether or not this is true remains to be seen!

Phoenix drivers are usually very nice, unlike the Arriva ones.

Wellsey18

24 Mar 2014, 10:56 pm #528
(24 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm)Tom Phoenix drivers are usually very nice, unlike the Arriva ones.

Whenever I used to get the 19 they were always lovely blokes, can tell they must be taxi drivers as well haha
Wellsey18
24 Mar 2014, 10:56 pm #528

(24 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm)Tom Phoenix drivers are usually very nice, unlike the Arriva ones.

Whenever I used to get the 19 they were always lovely blokes, can tell they must be taxi drivers as well haha

Michael

25 Mar 2014, 8:23 am #529
56 currently going from stand T because of an ambulance parked in stand S, this is at park lane.
Edited 25 Mar 2014, 8:45 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Mar 2014, 8:23 am #529

56 currently going from stand T because of an ambulance parked in stand S, this is at park lane.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

25 Mar 2014, 10:34 am #530
5333 x7 timed coming into Sunderland interchange in a few minutes is full, no standees though.

cbma06
25 Mar 2014, 10:34 am #530

5333 x7 timed coming into Sunderland interchange in a few minutes is full, no standees though.

Andreos1

25 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm #531
http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/prud...-1.1108708#

I was looking for something completely different, but stumbled across this.

Having never needed to use the services mentioned, I have no opinion or experience of them.
What was quite humorous, was that despite the bad experiences of passengers, quotes from councillors and a wish to return to previous services, the guy from GNE insists that what they are offering, is better than the previous operator.

Prior to Christmas, I came across a similar story, outlining passengers concern and quotes from them, explaining bad experiences on the three services mentioned

Apart from the GNE rep apparently being blind to some of the issues put to him, what else do passengers need to see or do, so that their opinions (even if it is just some) are listened too, acknowledged and/or accepted, so that changes are made?

No matter how much money is spent on buses, that can accommodate wheelchairs and pushchairs (I am sure the previous operator would have sorted out a full fleet of accessible buses by now), unless passenger needs, wants or desires are accepted (even in part), then I am not sure there is any point in a rep attending these meetings.

Are there any regular passengers from those services on the forum, who could share their views?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm #531

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/prud...-1.1108708#

Having never needed to use the services mentioned, I have no opinion or experience of them.
What was quite humorous, was that despite the bad experiences of passengers, quotes from councillors and a wish to return to previous services, the guy from GNE insists that what they are offering, is better than the previous operator.

Prior to Christmas, I came across a similar story, outlining passengers concern and quotes from them, explaining bad experiences on the three services mentioned

Apart from the GNE rep apparently being blind to some of the issues put to him, what else do passengers need to see or do, so that their opinions (even if it is just some) are listened too, acknowledged and/or accepted, so that changes are made?

No matter how much money is spent on buses, that can accommodate wheelchairs and pushchairs (I am sure the previous operator would have sorted out a full fleet of accessible buses by now), unless passenger needs, wants or desires are accepted (even in part), then I am not sure there is any point in a rep attending these meetings.

Are there any regular passengers from those services on the forum, who could share their views?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

eezypeazy

25 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm #532
(25 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/prud...-1.1108708#

Yes, I'm a regular user of these services, and my experience is quite the reverse of this report - my buses are usually on time, every time, regardless of the time of day I travel - I can recall just one occasion since Christmas when a bus has been late, and even then it made no difference to my arrangements. My daughter also uses the same services to and from school and I'm not aware of her ever being late for school or late home.

In my limited experience, councillors don't ask bus companies to attend meetings to heap praise on them, but rather to relate some horrendous stories of people being let down, notwithstanding how rare such things are. And newspapers like to publish such stories.

And again, in my limited experience, GNE is pretty good at listening to its customers.

If you want to compare the TEN with the old 602 and 604 from Arriva, then it's quite clear that the service is better, not just in terms of vehicles.
eezypeazy
25 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm #532

(25 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm)Andreos Constantopolous http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/prud...-1.1108708#

Yes, I'm a regular user of these services, and my experience is quite the reverse of this report - my buses are usually on time, every time, regardless of the time of day I travel - I can recall just one occasion since Christmas when a bus has been late, and even then it made no difference to my arrangements. My daughter also uses the same services to and from school and I'm not aware of her ever being late for school or late home.

In my limited experience, councillors don't ask bus companies to attend meetings to heap praise on them, but rather to relate some horrendous stories of people being let down, notwithstanding how rare such things are. And newspapers like to publish such stories.

And again, in my limited experience, GNE is pretty good at listening to its customers.

If you want to compare the TEN with the old 602 and 604 from Arriva, then it's quite clear that the service is better, not just in terms of vehicles.

MurdnunoC

25 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm #533
(25 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm)eezypeazy If you want to compare the TEN with the old 602 and 604 from Arriva, then it's quite clear that the service is better, not just in terms of vehicles.

In your opinion, why (and how) is it clear that the service is better than before?

When the TEN was running to Hexham every 20 minutes (with the 11 running to Prudhoe every half-hour) then I can see how the service could be perceived as better as more buses ran than previously.

Now that the TEN operates every half-hour (the same frequency as the 602) between Hexham and Newcastle, with the 10B supplementing the service between Prudhoe and Newcastle (albeit with the same half-hour frequency as the 11 and 604), it seems that the level of service, in terms of frequency at the very least, is more or less the same as before GNE took over the route in 2010.

So what makes this service better than before?

Is it the timing of the service? Better (or cheaper) ticketing options? Newer buses which are more reliable? Better connections with services at either end? Friendlier drivers?

Conversely, what problems did you previously experience when Arriva operated services in the area?

I accept that GNE has improved the level of service between Newcastle, Corbridge and Hexham with the introduction of the X84/X85, so this is not a pop at GNE. However, the rest of the network in the Tynedale area (which is mostly ran with financial assistance from Northumberland County Council) seems pretty much the same as before.
Edited 25 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
25 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm #533

(25 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm)eezypeazy If you want to compare the TEN with the old 602 and 604 from Arriva, then it's quite clear that the service is better, not just in terms of vehicles.

In your opinion, why (and how) is it clear that the service is better than before?

When the TEN was running to Hexham every 20 minutes (with the 11 running to Prudhoe every half-hour) then I can see how the service could be perceived as better as more buses ran than previously.

Now that the TEN operates every half-hour (the same frequency as the 602) between Hexham and Newcastle, with the 10B supplementing the service between Prudhoe and Newcastle (albeit with the same half-hour frequency as the 11 and 604), it seems that the level of service, in terms of frequency at the very least, is more or less the same as before GNE took over the route in 2010.

So what makes this service better than before?

Is it the timing of the service? Better (or cheaper) ticketing options? Newer buses which are more reliable? Better connections with services at either end? Friendlier drivers?

Conversely, what problems did you previously experience when Arriva operated services in the area?

I accept that GNE has improved the level of service between Newcastle, Corbridge and Hexham with the introduction of the X84/X85, so this is not a pop at GNE. However, the rest of the network in the Tynedale area (which is mostly ran with financial assistance from Northumberland County Council) seems pretty much the same as before.

eezypeazy

25 Mar 2014, 2:33 pm #534
This isn't my opinion - this is fact:

Fact: The evening service to Hexham is now hourly - when Arriva ran it there were large gaps, making a night out in Hexham impossible from places east of Corbridge.

Fact: GNE now offers four buses per hour to Metrocentre, all deckers, therefore more seats Prudhoe - Metrocentre than ever before. Arriva provided two bph.

Fact: In the morning peak, there's a bus every ten minutes between Prudhoe and Newcastle, including the two 11A journeys on bendys.

My observation: Arriva's reliability on the old 604 was notoriously poor.
Edited 25 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm by eezypeazy.
eezypeazy
25 Mar 2014, 2:33 pm #534

This isn't my opinion - this is fact:

Fact: The evening service to Hexham is now hourly - when Arriva ran it there were large gaps, making a night out in Hexham impossible from places east of Corbridge.

Fact: GNE now offers four buses per hour to Metrocentre, all deckers, therefore more seats Prudhoe - Metrocentre than ever before. Arriva provided two bph.

Fact: In the morning peak, there's a bus every ten minutes between Prudhoe and Newcastle, including the two 11A journeys on bendys.

My observation: Arriva's reliability on the old 604 was notoriously poor.

Tom

25 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm #535
(25 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm)dans_bus_photos Is it really necessary to post stuff like this?

I don't see a problem with it... Undecided
Tom
25 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm #535

(25 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm)dans_bus_photos Is it really necessary to post stuff like this?

I don't see a problem with it... Undecided

S813 FVK

25 Mar 2014, 4:01 pm #536
(25 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm)Tom I don't see a problem with it... Undecided

I know, it is a forum for latest news. I suppose its a bit like people posting the fleet updates from the Go North East website although we will or most of us will check the website ourselves. Its just to get a discussion going so rather than having a nag at people for posting stuff that may not be relevant to you doesn't mean they cant post at it at all.
S813 FVK
25 Mar 2014, 4:01 pm #536

(25 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm)Tom I don't see a problem with it... Undecided

I know, it is a forum for latest news. I suppose its a bit like people posting the fleet updates from the Go North East website although we will or most of us will check the website ourselves. Its just to get a discussion going so rather than having a nag at people for posting stuff that may not be relevant to you doesn't mean they cant post at it at all.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm #537
(25 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm)dans_bus_photos Im not getting at anyone just purely pointing out. Whats to discuss about a bus temporarily having to use a different stand in a bus station? Ive noticed no-one has decided to have a discussion about it?

So while were on the subject: in Shields the other day the X20 couldnt pull into its normal stand because the 27 was parked up there- it caused so much confusion to the passengers having to walk 10 feet to the bus! I probably should have posted it on here really so we could all have a big discussion over it!

I'm not being funny or anything, but I'm pretty sure we did have a recent discussion on the layout of bus stations the other day? Must have been at least two or three pages long... Tongue
Dan
25 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm #537

(25 Mar 2014, 5:02 pm)dans_bus_photos Im not getting at anyone just purely pointing out. Whats to discuss about a bus temporarily having to use a different stand in a bus station? Ive noticed no-one has decided to have a discussion about it?

So while were on the subject: in Shields the other day the X20 couldnt pull into its normal stand because the 27 was parked up there- it caused so much confusion to the passengers having to walk 10 feet to the bus! I probably should have posted it on here really so we could all have a big discussion over it!

I'm not being funny or anything, but I'm pretty sure we did have a recent discussion on the layout of bus stations the other day? Must have been at least two or three pages long... Tongue

S813 FVK

25 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm #538

Its latest news and may affect people travelling on the service that are registered to this forum. Simple as, I just couldn't see why you were practically saying that the post was needed. Now, since I have stated my point and you have stated yours, lets just leave it at that before anything bigger happens.

EDIT: Aiming at the section in bold, sarcasm isn't the way to get round this.
Edited 25 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
25 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm #538

Its latest news and may affect people travelling on the service that are registered to this forum. Simple as, I just couldn't see why you were practically saying that the post was needed. Now, since I have stated my point and you have stated yours, lets just leave it at that before anything bigger happens.

EDIT: Aiming at the section in bold, sarcasm isn't the way to get round this.

Adrian

25 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm #539

The beauty of a forum is that anyone can post what they want (within reason) and others can join in if they want to. No one is forced to participate in any one topic.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm #539

The beauty of a forum is that anyone can post what they want (within reason) and others can join in if they want to. No one is forced to participate in any one topic.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

25 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm #540
Has 4931 moved? Chester depot looked a bit empty as I drove past.
MilkybarKid
25 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm #540

Has 4931 moved? Chester depot looked a bit empty as I drove past.

Pages (40) Previous 126 27 2840 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average