You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(28 Mar 2014, 9:41 am)robisdave wrote Riding on B7TL 7494 - x93 into Middlesbrough 0945 at present? Very impressed. Will Redcar be able to keep them this way?

In a word, No.
(28 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm)robisdave wrote It's fact that Stagecoach do not appear to do much in the way of wholesale service changes, from my experience, sadly limited unfortunately, they do seem to attempt to maintain what is the essence of a service, namely continuity and reliability, as such taking action where individual and specific issues arise. The last one such that I read about was regarding the works at Newport and how these would affect services operating across that corridor? That idea seems to make sense rather than continually swoping and changing things; if there is a clear and identifiable problem on a particular service/route such as late running or overloading then deal accirdingly. It seems sensible as the relative information can, as far as I'm aware, be sourced directly from both the drivers and ticket machines.

Totally agree Robisdave.
Thanks Tyresmoke for your reply re the 5/5a services, totally agree/understand with what you say, particularly the operating of some journeys non-stop between the bus station and Brambles
Farm. ThIs would cause controversy but then passengers are well served in those areas by other services and it's fair for those travelling further to benefit from faster journeys.
Regarding the X4 "Seasider" Again I agree but will never be able to comment further as I don't intend travelling into Boro to catch it nor intend travelling through to Loftus without the guaranteed connection I've commented on before.
And onto the B7TL saga. Like I say I was impressed with 7494 this morning but the gloss goes off hearing that 7485, which I though I spotted this morning also, failed! It's been stood at Redcar (!) for at least 10 days with supposed 'electrical prproblems' Might just be a touch cynical here but it doesn't bode well!
If Arriva are looking for a genuine replacement for the X93, the 57 reg lowlanders will be the best option. I went on one on the X21 yesterday and it was a lovely ride considering the age of the vehicle oh, and plenty of power too!
(28 Mar 2014, 8:41 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote If Arriva are looking for a genuine replacement for the X93, the 57 reg lowlanders will be the best option. I went on one on the X21 yesterday and it was a lovely ride considering the age of the vehicle oh, and plenty of power too!

Can't agree more, those Lowlanders are fantastic. Cope really well with the X18.
(28 Mar 2014, 8:42 pm)Tom wrote Can't agree more, those Lowlanders are fantastic. Cope really well with the X18.

Shame there's only 4 of them!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(28 Mar 2014, 8:41 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote If Arriva are looking for a genuine replacement for the X93, the 57 reg lowlanders will be the best option. I went on one on the X21 yesterday and it was a lovely ride considering the age of the vehicle oh, and plenty of power too!

There's not enough though - X93 needs 6 deckers this summer plus unlikely the new vehicles for the X18 will be here by May 24th.
(28 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm)tyresmoke wrote Shame there's only 4 of them!

Think they'd be fantastic on the 20/X20 myself, a huge upgrade could hopefully increase passenger numbers. I think they could last past their 15 year lifespan.
(28 Mar 2014, 8:42 pm)Tom wrote Can't agree more, those Lowlanders are fantastic. Cope really well with the X18.

Funny when half of them spend most of the time on 35/35a or X21 these days (even seen one allocated to the 34, which means also doing school work).
(28 Mar 2014, 8:46 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Funny when half of them spend most of the time on 35/35a or X21 these days (even seen one allocated to the 34, which means also doing school work).

I agree with that, but when I rode one from Newcastle to Alnmouth last summer and coped very well. They are also on the 14/X14 quite often too.
(28 Mar 2014, 8:48 pm)Tom wrote I agree with that, but when I rode one from Newcastle to Alnmouth last summer and coped very well. They are also on the 14/X14 quite often too.

I think they'll either be on 14/X14 or 20/X20 once the new E400s arrive for the X18 (note here, word coming from a manager at Ashington, neither Volvo or Wrightbus can delivery a vehicle with long-range fuel tanks in the time Arriva would like them to be, a time scale of 18 months being mentioned).
(28 Mar 2014, 8:45 pm)Tom wrote Think they'd be fantastic on the 20/X20 myself, a huge upgrade could hopefully increase passenger numbers. I think they could last past their 15 year lifespan.

Would agree with putting them on 20/X20. Though the 14/X14 is worth a shout too.
Will be interesting to see if Ashington end up with all of the Enviro 400s, Arriva seem to have standardised on these for all future orders.

Well put it this way, they'll last as long as the Palatine 2's did. They're also very smooth. How did Ariva manage to get them from Kent? Did Kent no longer require them?
(28 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm)tyresmoke wrote Would agree with putting them on 20/X20. Though the 14/X14 is worth a shout too.
Will be interesting to see if Ashington end up with all of the Enviro 400s, Arriva seem to have standardised on these for all future orders.

Maybe the three ''Coast and Castles'' E400's could remain in that livery, and be used on the 14/X14?
(28 Mar 2014, 8:54 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote Well put it this way, they'll last as long as the Palatine 2's did. They're also very smooth. How did Ariva manage to get them from Kent? Did Kent no longer require them?

7453-6 were new to Alnwick in early 2008 (about the same time as 7501-13 arrived).

(28 Mar 2014, 8:55 pm)Tom wrote Maybe the three ''Coast and Castles'' E400's could remain in that livery, and be used on the 14/X14?

Only 2 'Coast and Castles' E400s at present - 7507 and 7508.
(28 Mar 2014, 8:52 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I think they'll either be on 14/X14 or 20/X20 once the new E400s arrive for the X18 (note here, word coming from a manager at Ashington, neither Volvo or Wrightbus can delivery a vehicle with long-range fuel tanks in the time Arriva would like them to be, a time scale of 18 months being mentioned).

Oh well, lets hope they manage to negotiate a good deal with Alpha Recovery!
(28 Mar 2014, 9:01 pm)Tom wrote How many Omnicities will be released from Stockton when the Streetlites arrive?

As I understand it, they won't be released when the Streetlites arrive. The Streetlites are replacing 10 of the remaining 14 Prestiges (the remaining 4 are replaced by 4 of 6 Stockton-bound B10BLEs).
(28 Mar 2014, 9:03 pm)Kuyoyo wrote As I understand it, they won't be released when the Streetlites arrive. The Streetlites are replacing 10 of the remaining 14 Prestiges (the remaining 4 are replaced by 4 of 6 Stockton-bound B10BLEs).

Thanks! Smile
So if the 20/X20 does receive Lowlanders, could the three DAF ALX400's be transferred to Jesmond for the 43/44/45 to replace some more B10BLE's
(28 Mar 2014, 9:06 pm)Tom wrote Thanks! Smile
So if the 20/X20 does receive Lowlanders, could the three DAF ALX400's be transferred to Jesmond for the 43/44/45 to replace some more B10BLE's

No, 8 of Jesmond's B10BLEs are being displaced by 1524-31 (the new Pulsars for the 306). Ashington's will be displaced by the new 'Sapphire' E400s.
But the part about waiting 18 months, I'd take quality over quantity anyday. The B9TL is a far superior bus compared to the E400 and DB300 when it comes to long distance and endurance routes. They are built to last and despite the odd few breakdowns on the TTX, 6043 to 6048 have been very good so far and they're coming up to 2 year old now. The only time several of them have been VOR was when they were coming towards their first annual MOT.
(28 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote But the part about waiting 18 months, I'd take quality over quantity anyday. The B9TL is a far superior bus compared to the E400 and DB300 when it comes to long distance and endurance routes. They are built to last and despite the odd few breakdowns on the TTX, 6043 to 6048 have been very good so far and they're coming up to 2 year old now. The only time several of them have been VOR was when they were coming towards their first annual MOT.

They wouldn't be B9TLs if they went for Volvo still with the long wait - any orders for Euro5 vehicles must be delivered before the end of this year - so basically they've gone for something that is already used on the route and can be delivered this year.
Lets not forget the orders for this years deliveries will have been placed in 2013!

(28 Mar 2014, 9:29 pm)Kuyoyo wrote They wouldn't be B9TLs if they went for Volvo still with the long wait - any orders for Euro5 vehicles must be delivered before the end of this year - so basically they've gone for something that is already used on the route and can be delivered this year.

I bet Davey will be happy Tongue
Well out it this way, Arriva would be better off paying Thorntons to give the 4 57reg lowlanders a thorough refurb and keeping them on the X18 for another few yeara until someone can come up with a true heavyweight double deck vehicle designed for rural and endurance routes.
Is it possible that all of the MPD's (including 1800/01), could be withdrawn in the next couple of years? With the huge amount of new arrivals, maybe the 33/57/57A/X14 could be upgraded to Solo operation? It's just a question, as I don't know.
(28 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote Well out it this way, Arriva would be better off paying Thorntons to give the 4 57reg lowlanders a thorough refurb and keeping them on the X18 for another few yeara until someone can come up with a true heavyweight double deck vehicle designed for rural and endurance routes.

Do you not understand - we won't see a heavyweight decker again. We are now in the times that vehicles will be getting lighter and lighter, simply due to the emission levels required.
(28 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm)Tom wrote Is it possible that all of the MPD's (including 1800/01), could be withdrawn in the next couple of years? With the huge amount of new arrivals, maybe the 33/57/57A/X14 could be upgraded to Solo operation? It's just a question, as I don't know.

I'm not sure you'll see the newer minis replaced just yet, there are none on order this year for example. Next year may be a different story, who knows? Certainly likely (dependent on contract specifications) that there will be some Solos being freed up later this year when Durham Park & Ride is re-tendered.

(28 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm)tyresmoke wrote I'm not sure you'll see the newer minis replaced just yet, there are none on order this year for example. Next year may be a different story, who knows? Certainly likely (dependent on contract specifications) that there will be some Solos being freed up later this year when Durham Park & Ride is re-tendered.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. However, I don't know if the X14 or 57/57A would cope with the loadings on a Solo, as they are both busy services. Centros would be perfect, but sadly not possible