You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(01 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm)Tom wrote Still ridiculous. For example, it's £1.40 from Battle Hill to North Shields on the 306, yet it'll be £2 tomorrow on the 310.

And why do you think Arriva have set the price so low on their service which competes with the Cobalt Clipper? They want to take some of the competition's passengers away!

Some would say it's a daft move by Go North East to be so much more expensive, but many people are still actually prepared to pay the extra price - whether it's down to reliability, frequency, seating capacity, on-board features... I don't know.
Site Administrator
Excuse my cock up with the posts - tried to merge them and I managed to merge them with a completely different post from another thread! Sorry.

(01 Apr 2014, 6:23 pm)G-CPTN wrote Stagecoach fares (at least those from Carlisle) rise on 14th April.

The fares in the North East are frozen. There was a poster on-board a Shields-based E300 saying how the online fares have been frozen for two years now too.

(01 Apr 2014, 6:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Fares will be going up across the GNE Network no doubt as I seen a Notice on the Loop 93 and on the M2 Yesterday, I personally think £1.50 Single from Lambton to Washington Galleries is Disgusting, Would rather Walk or Bike it there.

They are, including BuzzFare tickets. We discussed this a few days ago in which I described the fares which had risen to my knowledge, and nk55 informed of us an example of a £1.00 single staying the same price.

(01 Apr 2014, 6:40 pm)Tom wrote Can't agree more, a single from Rosehill to Wallsend is disgusting too. Surely if the 5p fares was a issue they could reduce rather than increase?

What's the chances of that happening? Do any other operators reduce fares, or is it more common for the fares to be increased?
I think we should all step back and realise how many fares are staying the same, how some fares are still a lot cheaper than the competition, etc...

(01 Apr 2014, 6:44 pm)aureolin wrote I can't see anything on their Facebook page or their website? I did notice a poster earlier, but wasn't close enough to read it properly.

I don't think the prices for the single ticket price increases have been noted on the website yet, but I do think they should be advertised on every branded vehicle at the very least.

If memory serves, the BuzzFare ticket price increases have been clearly noted on the BuzzFare price section. Positive gtom posted a link to it when we discussed this the other day.
All of those complaining about price rises (and the younger ones about to feel the force of CAT passes expiring - have hopefully changed your vote in favour of the more balanced and cheaper pricing structure that QCS offers Wink.

Have a neb in the QCS thread and get that vote changed, cos I am not too sure these extra 5p or 10p's GNE are charging won't be sent anywhere but the shareholders back pockets.
eezypeazy may be lurking in there in an effort to take you back to the dark side, but me and 21 other QCS supporters will support you and back you all the way.

Fuel hasn't increased nor have wages. The insurance deals in place are reputed to be saving a fortune and cost cutting measures are in place to increase profit margins - all available to read on the Go ahead shareholder website.

*makes sure bullet proof vest is fastened tightly and securely, whilst the anti-QCS people fire a stack of bullets and try to justify the price rises.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Apr 2014, 6:56 pm)Dan wrote I don't think the prices for the single ticket price increases have been noted on the website yet, but I do think they should be advertised on every branded vehicle at the very least.

If memory serves, the BuzzFare ticket price increases have been clearly noted on the BuzzFare price section. Positive gtom posted a link to it when we discussed this the other day.

Hopefully the info will appear on the website soon. There appeared to be a bit too much info to digest at a glance, and probably won't be on another GNE bus till next weekend now.

I did note the bit about the 5p increase being sold as a solution to the problem of drivers having no 5-pence pieces to give as change. As Tom quite rightly has said, the solution could have been to round downwards instead of upwards to the nearest 10p (although unlikely). Whether I agree with it or not; if you're going increase fares by 5p, then just do it. Trying to it as a benefit to customers is going to get their back up.

(01 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote All of those complaining about price rises (and the younger ones about to feel the force of CAT passes expiring - have hopefully changed your vote in favour of the more balanced and cheaper pricing structure that QCS offers Wink.

Have a neb in the QCS thread and get that vote changed, cos I am not too sure these extra 5p or 10p's GNE are charging won't be sent anywhere but the shareholders back pockets.
eezypeazy may be lurking in there in an effort to take you back to the dark side, but me and 21 other QCS supporters will support you and back you all the way.

Fuel hasn't increased nor have wages. The insurance deals in place are reputed to be saving a fortune and cost cutting measures are in place to increase profit margins - all available to read on the Go ahead shareholder website.

*makes sure bullet proof vest is fastened tightly and securely, whilst the anti-QCS people fire a stack of bullets and try to justify the price rises.

Young persons in Tyne and Wear have always got a cracking deal with fares, and so they should. In addition, operators offer some cracking commercial products to young persons over 18 but still in Full Time education. To me, this is the morally right thing to do. We should provide as much support to people in education as we possibly can.

It's when you become ineligible for those products (and pay full fare) when you start to question whether you should take your wallet out or drop your pants when it comes to paying your fare.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:15 pm)aureolin wrote Hopefully the info will appear on the website soon. There appeared to be a bit too much info to digest at a glance, and probably won't be on another GNE bus till next weekend now.

I did note the bit about the 5p increase being sold as a solution to the problem of drivers having no 5-pence pieces to give as change. As Tom quite rightly has said, the solution could have been to round downwards instead of upwards to the nearest 10p (although unlikely). Whether I agree with it or not; if you're going increase fares by 5p, then just do it. Trying to it as a benefit to customers is going to get their back up.

I can't remember actually reading on the poster I saw that the 5p increase in fares were to combat the change issues... I simply said that I'd imagine this would help (see post on link below):
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=475&pid=36621#pid36621
(01 Apr 2014, 7:21 pm)Dan wrote I can't remember actually reading on the poster I saw that the 5p increase in fares were to combat the change issues... I simply said that I'd imagine this would help (see post on link below):
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=475&pid=36621#pid36621

Sorry, I wasn't writing that in relation to what you wrote. The poster makes some reference to the 5p change issue. Unfortunately it's not available for me to read in my leisure (online), so I'm unable to link to a source.
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote All of those complaining about price rises (and the younger ones about to feel the force of CAT passes expiring - have hopefully changed your vote in favour of the more balanced and cheaper pricing structure that QCS offers Wink.

Without getting this onto Quality Contracts, I must say that I do feel that those in the 16-18 group still get some pretty good deals - whether it's on all modes of public transport or just the one...
Granted, there's an increase of about £200, but there will be young people in that age range who are thinking about getting a job...
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:23 pm)aureolin wrote Sorry, I wasn't writing that in relation to what you wrote. The poster makes some reference to the 5p change issue. Unfortunately it's not available for me to read in my leisure (online), so I'm unable to link to a source.

Ah - I'm assuming that they've changed the posters then. I certainly can't remember reading anything other than prices and I was sat fairly close to the front of the bus.
I should be able to get a photo of one of the notice boards on a Laser, Drifter or SimpliCity tomorrow - will upload a shot as soon as I can.
(01 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm)Dan wrote Ah - I'm assuming that they've changed the posters then. I certainly can't remember reading anything other than prices and I was sat fairly close to the front of the bus.
I should be able to get a photo of one of the notice boards on a Laser, Drifter or SimpliCity tomorrow - will upload a shot as soon as I can.

I'm pretty sure it was on one of the two red Solars I used on Monday. One on the 50 and one on the 2A. The poster referenced something about bringing Transfare prices in line too?
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:32 pm)aureolin wrote I'm pretty sure it was on one of the two red Solars I used on Monday. One on the 50 and one on the 2A. The poster referenced something about bringing Transfare prices in line too?

I mentioned that the other day too. Tongue
(30 Mar 2014, 9:24 am)Dan wrote Quite notably, the standard Teen Card fare from Arriva rose from 90p to £1.00 last Sunday. Go North East's 90p fare has been frozen at this price - and has done for over a year now.
Whaa?! I've never seen anything about it; I have a Northumberland one (north and west of the Tyne) - I do believe there is a south-of-the-Tyne one too?
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm)northern156 wrote Whaa?! I've never seen anything about it; I have a Northumberland one (north and west of the Tyne) - I do believe there is a south-of-the-Tyne one too?

I've been on the lookout for notices on board Arriva buses for it, but I've still not seen anything about it other than on the website...

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/content.aspx?id=34359742825
(01 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm)northern156 wrote Whaa?! I've never seen anything about it; I have a Northumberland one (north and west of the Tyne) - I do believe there is a south-of-the-Tyne one too?

Yeah, on both. There was posters on the 52/X10 on Saturday.
(01 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm)Dan wrote I've been on the lookout for notices on board Arriva buses for it, but I've still not seen anything about it other than on the website...

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/content.aspx?id=34359742825
(01 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm)Tom wrote Yeah, on both. There was posters on the 52/X10 on Saturday.
Well that's a bit crap! Yeah it's only 10p but why the hell did they not put any sort of notice up on the 685 (or other routes which Dan has been looking out for)?!

Normally it is a case of me giving the driver a £1 coin but if I only have 90p in loose change, I'm snookered!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Site Administrator
(01 Apr 2014, 7:46 pm)northern156 wrote Well that's a bit crap! Yeah it's only 10p but why the hell did they not put any sort of notice up on the 685 (or other routes which Dan has been looking out for)?!

Normally it is a case of me giving the driver a £1 coin but if I only have 90p in loose change, I'm snookered!

I've been on the lookout for it on my fave service.. the 23 (and occasionally the 24)! Tongue

Didn't spot anything when I was on the Quorum Express over the weekend either, but I was in a bit of a huff when it turned up about 20 minutes late...
(01 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm)Dan wrote I've been on the lookout for it on my fave service.. the 23 (and occasionally the 24)! Tongue

Didn't spot anything when I was on the Quorum Express over the weekend either, but I was in a bit of a huff when it turned up about 20 minutes late...

Not seen any notices on ours either, mind I don't think (unless I've not noticed it!) we've even had a staff notice...
The teen cards are all one now though, valid across the region, and obviously the fares are capped at £1, there are several below that

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(01 Apr 2014, 11:03 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Is southtyne side bus fares going up 2 are not

Most single fares will increase by 5p, yes. The majority of fares already at £ x.x0 will remain at that price though.
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2014, 5:57 am)aureolin wrote Poster on buses. Apologies for the bad quality.

[Image: a8udaduj.jpg]

Completely changed to what I had seen on Saturday. Had a brand logo and then a list of the prices. Barely any other text.
The Angel has an Angel specific fare rise poster with the Angel Saver price and the 5p rise on it as well.
(02 Apr 2014, 6:08 am)Dan wrote Completely changed to what I had seen on Saturday. Had a brand logo and then a list of the prices. Barely any other text.

that only for branded ones
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
From the 12th April, Go North East and Alba Travel will be operating the AD122. Go North East will be operating it from Hexham to Waltown, while Alba Travel will be operating it from Hexham to Carlisle/Penrith. Glad to see the AD122 in operation this year, wonder what GNE will use on it?

For the timetable, see here
(02 Apr 2014, 7:58 pm)Tom wrote From the 12th April, Go North East and Alba Travel will be operating the AD122. Go North East will be operating it from Hexham to Waltown, while Alba Travel will be operating it from Hexham to Carlisle/Penrith. Glad to see the AD122 in operation this year, wonder what GNE will use on it?

3963 with a vinyl photo of eezypeazy dressed up in a Roman Gladiator outfit? Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02 Apr 2014, 7:58 pm)Tom wrote From the 12th April, Go North East and Alba Travel will be operating the AD122. Go North East will be operating it from Hexham to Waltown, while Alba Travel will be operating it from Hexham to Carlisle/Penrith. Glad to see the AD122 in operation this year, wonder what GNE will use on it?

Try this
(02 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote 3963 with a vinyl photo of eezypeazy dressed up in a Roman Gladiator outfit? Wink

You never know Wink

They could use 524, as that is parked up in riverside but could transfer to Hexham
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.