You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

RE: Go North East
(21 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm)gtomlinson wrote I don't suppose anyone has an inkling for the Waggonway replacements yet?

Seen an interesting mix the past few days, assume some of the WW are poorly again.

I've yet to be on a bus that can cope with Long Bank in Eighton Banks

I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the Solars currently on the MetroLink are replacing The Waggonways & the Lambton Worms when the new Citaros come.

I live beside the Long Bank and I too have never saw a vehicle cope with it. Even coaches with their more powerful engines struggle quite badly.
(21 Apr 2013, 7:16 pm)Adam wrote
(21 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm)gtomlinson wrote I don't suppose anyone has an inkling for the Waggonway replacements yet?

Seen an interesting mix the past few days, assume some of the WW are poorly again.

I've yet to be on a bus that can cope with Long Bank in Eighton Banks

I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the Solars currently on the MetroLink are replacing The Waggonways & the Lambton Worms when the new Citaros come.

I live beside the Long Bank and I too have never saw a vehicle cope with it. Even coaches with their more powerful engines struggle quite badly.

More likely be Scanias onto a B10BLE route ('Lime' anybody?) with the 28 and 34 being upgraded to B10BLE. Those routes won't justify Scanias straight off the bat.
Wonder what other buses GNE will get

The citaro's for the metrolink, are these new or from a diffrent company?

Wonder if any of the new buses are heading for Sunderland, i think the streetlites were mentioned on here, if so they probley's end up on the 39.

Which services are planned for new decker's?

Rob, How many would u say is on order in total, that'f if u can say? =)

I agree, Scania's will probleys end up on the lime (ugh horrible colour for them) and the B10's from lime on to Waggonway and lampton worm, rest of the B10's from Lime probley's end up Northen
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
For a prominent brand, I'm amazed that Lime is still using life expired B10BLEs, surely it's built up enough of a profit to justify newer stock now?? Bit like Fab56!
Just to play devils advocate here, the Lambton Worms were only repainted last year, so I can see them sticking around for another year or two - rather than being replaced just yet.

It would be ironic the Scania's replacing the B10s on the 78/8, seeing as they replaced them when new on the 194.

What is the pvr for the M1 compared to the 78/8? Would the current fleet be able to do a straight swap/drop in onto the 78/8 routes?

(21 Apr 2013, 8:52 pm)tyresmoke wrote For a prominent brand, I'm amazed that Lime is still using life expired B10BLEs, surely it's built up enough of a profit to justify newer stock now?? Bit like Fab56!

Im convinced the 56 will be getting newer vehicles sooner rather than later. It may even help with the Scanias needed for the Lime routes...
(21 Apr 2013, 9:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote Just to play devils advocate here, the Lambton Worms were only repainted last year, so I can see them sticking around for another year or two - rather than being replaced just yet.

It would be ironic the Scania's replacing the B10s on the 78/8, seeing as they replaced them when new on the 194.

What is the pvr for the M1 compared to the 78/8? Would the current fleet be able to do a straight swap/drop in onto the 78/8 routes?

BIB: 4820-2/63/7 were all repainted last year as well, but they've all now been withdrawn (4820/1 have even partway to being tin cans). So, just because they have been repainted, doesn't mean they are safe.

As for the M1 PVR, I believe it's 12 but there's only 11 branded Scanias. While there are 13 B10s on the 8/78.

As for the 56, there are 16 Scanias branded, so pontential there to use the 11 off the M1 plus two off the 56 if those Scanias are replaced this year.
I think part of the order for Gemini's will end up on the 56, even if it was like the red arrows before it went to full Decker.. 7 deckers, rest Scania's just for example. the 56 and many other services do need bigger buses.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
I see the 'mysterious lack of 5p's for change' posts has reared its head on the facebook page again this morning.
Wonder how much money the company is making by not giving the drivers enough of the little silver things in their floats?
Drivers don't get issued float every day, so if you run out of 5p's on Monday then Tuesday you start with none/very few, used to be a massive problem at Stagecoach but now I work for Arriva I always have too many given all of our fares are rounded to nearest 10p.
I emailed about when the results will be out for the X3,9,26,36,99.

Reply -

Hello

We are working to make the results available as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Go North East
Customer Services
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Apr 2013, 11:26 am)Andreos1 wrote I see the 'mysterious lack of 5p's for change' posts has reared its head on the facebook page again this morning.
Wonder how much money the company is making by not giving the drivers enough of the little silver things in their floats?

No surprise. I was on the 21 this morning and every other passenger had the 5p problem. Driver was apologetic but it did delay us at each stop.

It'd be easier to have put them up 10p after the initial complaint died down.
Fleet News...

Dennis SPD 8214: V214 ERG has been withdrawn from service at Deptford.

The last ex-London Volvo Olympian in stock, 3906: R264 LGH, has been sold to West Kent Buses, West Kingsdown.

3910: R553 LGH has not now been sold to Thurbin, Gravesend and has instead been sold to Alpha Recovery, Weetslade.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
re 5p debate

within the last 3 weeks i've personally gone through £6 in 5ps. copper is greatly accepted by all drivers but this means our travelling public carrying change. Something most passengers dont like carrying.
Being looking at pictures of lothian's volvo Hybrid 7900's.. they are the best looking buses ive seen in a while, i really hope GNE had these on the green bus fund!

Still waiting to see what will be coming to the north east from the green bus fund.. not just GNE, for stagecoach (as its stagecoach in my area) and Arriva and the other companies.

Edit: Just read its May for when the list of companies who have won the green bus fund and what buses they are getting...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Regular
(22 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm)Michael wrote Being looking at pictures of lothian's volvo Hybrid 7900's.. they are the best looking buses ive seen in a while, i really hope GNE had these on the green bus fund!

Still waiting to see what will be coming to the north east from the green bus fund.. not just GNE, for stagecoach (as its stagecoach in my area) and Arriva and the other companies.

Edit: Just read its May for when the list of companies who have won the green bus fund and what buses they are getting...

Arriva more than likely will not recieve new green bus funding buses due to having had some this year for Darlington and Blyth

Stagecoach might be in with a shout i would have some for Sunderland and South Shields 3/4/16 need upgrading

Go North East will be ideal too they will probs put the hybrids on X21 and put the pronto deckers to Northern livery they have had the angel examples on there in evenings and Sundays and early mornings so there is a possibility as for single deckers i would say 43/44 would be ideal and put them citaros on Lime 8/78/78A
(22 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm)idiot wrote
(22 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm)Michael wrote Details on the Sunderland Marathon 2013 has being posted.

http://www.simplygo.com/service-disrupti...thon-2013/

Should be fun

Disgrace I reckon.

What is this bus gate?!

Ive got images of a tubby, middle aged
marshall in a yellow hi-viz stopping the runners
to let buses through. The whole concept of a race like the GNR is
something Sunderland Council have wanted
for years, you cant have it running past the bus
station though. Poor planning by race
organisers I think

(22 Apr 2013, 1:21 pm)gtomlinson wrote
(22 Apr 2013, 11:26 am)Andreos1 wrote I see the 'mysterious lack of 5p's for change' posts has reared its head on the facebook page again this morning.

No surprise. I was on the 21 this morning and every other passenger had the 5p problem. Driver was apologetic but it did delay us at each stop.

or put them down by 5p...
(22 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote

It'll probably be increased by 5p, they won't put fares down when the cost of operating has gone up.
(22 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm)Kuyoyo wrote
(22 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote

It'll probably be increased by 5p, they won't put fares down when the cost of operating has gone up.

Putting it down is just what First in Manchester have done right across the Greater Manchester area - guessing their operating costs have gone up too. They also have competition...

I put the link up in the other parts of the country section
Yessssss new buses for the 56, it need's bigger buses, would only see decker's for it, will u be nice and tell us... is this from the green bus fund or GNE own money?

The artics seems to of flopped since arriving, which is a shame but can only say, they were only built for london.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm)Michael wrote Yessssss new buses for the 56, it need's bigger buses, would only see decker's for it, will u be nice and tell us... is this from the green bus fund or GNE own money?

The artics seems to of flopped since arriving, which is a shame but can only say, they were only built for london.

In York, they have similar aged Citaro Bendies and they seem to be lasting well
tbh the 57reg are not bad, only problem for me is the screeching from the bendi part. as for the 54reg ones they are awful.

As for the 56 if it is getting Deckers, it's about time in my opinion, I would think the service may see a Frequency decrease to every 15 minutes which additional journeys at Peak Times and on Matchdays etc. Thats what I may happen.
(22 Apr 2013, 8:35 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote tbh the 57reg are not bad, only problem for me is the screeching from the bendi part. as for the 54reg ones they are awful.

As for the 56 if it is getting Deckers, it's about time in my opinion, I would think the service may see a Frequency decrease to every 15 minutes which additional journeys at Peak Times and on Matchdays etc. Thats what I may happen.

I dont think the 56 would see a reduction in frequency just because bigger buses would be used. Every time i've seen a 56 coming out of gateshead its had a good load.
If it is reduced when it gets new buses hopefully its every 12 or something instead of 15 but GNE did reduce the TEN when it got deckers... I think it will start off like the X1.. 7 deckers and rest scania or something like that, if it keeps at every 10 mins. Which i think will happen, its one of thier most popular routes.. Shame it takes so long or it could of gone to the galleries haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(22 Apr 2013, 9:04 pm)nk55 wrote
(22 Apr 2013, 8:35 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote tbh the 57reg are not bad, only problem for me is the screeching from the bendi part. as for the 54reg ones they are awful.

I dont think the 56 would see a reduction in frequency just because bigger buses would be used. Every time i've seen a 56 coming out of gateshead its had a good load.

Think 10...
Either way, GNE are going to have almost 30 10-12 year old Scania's going spare by the end of the year from the M1 and 56.
This has to be the end of the majority, if not all of the SPD's.
Although it was mentioned last night, for such a demanding route - you vary rarely see a replacement working a 78/8 covering for a B10. Although it can be argued the Lime is a flagship route, Im not sure replacing them with a Scania not much younger, is the better option. Is it worth hanging onto them and seeing what else is going to be cascaded later?

The Whey Aye 50's are struggling badly, the Waggonway, well the less said the better...
Thinking outside the box, maybe some of the busier MPD routes are due an upgrade in size?
Most of the scanias are euro 3 classed, cant see gne getting rid of them for a few years yet.