You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Stagecoach North East - Latest
(16 Apr 2014, 10:38 am)idiot wrote Between Seaburn & Southwick there is only the #18/#19 and GNE #99

Exactly.
You said yourself there were decent loads, so there must be some sort of demand between those places.
Maybe less so the others.

I was trying to picture which bus/buses I would use in certain situations if I lived on the route and the 18/19 only came out on top in a few situations.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Whilst out driving passed the #18 going accross Queen Alex from Pallion to Southwick there was around 10 passengers on.

It is a funny service though.
(16 Apr 2014, 2:23 pm)idiot wrote Whilst out driving passed the #18 going accross Queen Alex from Pallion to Southwick there was around 10 passengers on.

It is a funny service though.

it must depend on the time of day and what part of the route it's on.

Like i said its only 10 mins in to its run when i see it (From Grindon to Springwell)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Can imagine the unique bits around the hospital will get passengers going to/from there like and that seems to fit in with what idiot saw.

Don't see there being much demand from Grindon to Grangetown and the majority of other areas have a more direct service to the city centre
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Service 118-119 started in 1983, after the PTE sunderland service reorganisation . Before that , the route was serviced by stand alone 118 (spring well road to Seaburn Camp via Pallion) and services 121/122 Tunstall Rd to Seaburn .
(17 Apr 2014, 5:08 am)pringlj wrote Service 118-119 started in 1983, after the PTE sunderland service reorganisation . Before that , the route was serviced by stand alone 118 (spring well road to Seaburn Camp via Pallion) and services 121/122 Tunstall Rd to Seaburn .

Yes, and in pre 1983, the services ran every 10 minutes. That re-organisation saw the frequency drop to every 20 minutes. It lost it's Evening and Sunday service when the Metro extension to Sunderland opened - Stagecoach claimed the Metro took passengers away from it but that seems a bit doubtful. I *think* that is when the daytime frequency was dropped to every 30 minutes.

It's also used to be fairly direct from the City Centre to Grangetown via Ryhope Road and then direct along Leechmere Road and Essen Way towards Humbledon, the diversions via Hendon and the Eye Infirmary have made it IMHO less attractive to potential customers. However, Stagecoach do run it commercially and given how much profit they expect to make on each service in the North East, it must be worthwhile for them to continue to operate it.

Regards
David P
I know it's early but does anyone know if the has begun on the gas filling station or when the extension work will begin on the gas filling station at Sunderland so it's ready for the additional 23 when they start to arrive?.

Thanks

I would imagine it won't take them very long to enter service after they arrive due to the drivers being trained on them.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Re: RE: Stagecoach North East - Latest
(17 Apr 2014, 8:37 am)Michael wrote I know it's early but does anyone know if the has begun on the gas filling station or when the extension work will begin on the gas filling station at Sunderland so it's ready for the additional 23 when they start to arrive?.

Thanks

I would imagine it won't take them very long to enter service after they arrive due to the drivers being trained on them.

My understanding was it was built with expansion in mind, therefore no physical expansion to the station is required?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 Apr 2014, 9:15 am)aureolin wrote My understanding was it was built with expansion in mind, therefore no physical expansion to the station is required?

Thats good Big Grin
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 1:37 pm)Dan wrote Some unfamiliar faces at Sunderland today...

All here for repairs?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 7:05 am)DavidP wrote Yes, and in pre 1983, the services ran every 10 minutes. That re-organisation saw the frequency drop to every 20 minutes. It lost it's Evening and Sunday service when the Metro extension to Sunderland opened - Stagecoach claimed the Metro took passengers away from it but that seems a bit doubtful. I *think* that is when the daytime frequency was dropped to every 30 minutes.

It's also used to be fairly direct from the City Centre to Grangetown via Ryhope Road and then direct along Leechmere Road and Essen Way towards Humbledon, the diversions via Hendon and the Eye Infirmary have made it IMHO less attractive to potential customers. However, Stagecoach do run it commercially and given how much profit they expect to make on each service in the North East, it must be worthwhile for them to continue to operate it.

Regards
David P

For years the 18 & 19 each operated every 20 minutes Mon-Sat daytimes and half hourly evenings and Sundays (and were up until the late ‘90s typically operated by deckers!). The evening and Sunday service was indeed withdrawn in 2002 and the daytime frequency was reduced to its current half hourly status in 2003.

There was a three month (unsuccessful) trial extension from Seaburn to Whitburn in 1999/2000. Following the withdrawal of Service 21 in 2003 the 18/19 were ultimately extended to their current form to South Bents.

The last major revisions to the route took effect from 2005, with the closure of the Queen Alexandra Bridge. It was at this time that the revisions between City Centre & Grangetown and Grangetown & Prospect Hotel occurred, replacing links lost by the curtailment of Service 6. When the bridge reopened, the revised route was retained as the 6 was never reinstated on that section and was subsequently withdrawn entirely.
(17 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm)mrnut85 wrote I get the feeling this is the stagecoach twitter feed now

Haven't got twitter =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote For years the 18 & 19 each operated every 20 minutes Mon-Sat daytimes and half hourly evenings and Sundays (and were up until the late ‘90s typically operated by deckers!). The evening and Sunday service was indeed withdrawn in 2002 and the daytime frequency was reduced to its current half hourly status in 2003.

There was a three month (unsuccessful) trial extension from Seaburn to Whitburn in 1999/2000. Following the withdrawal of Service 21 in 2003 the 18/19 were ultimately extended to their current form to South Bents.

The last major revisions to the route took effect from 2005, with the closure of the Queen Alexandra Bridge. It was at this time that the revisions between City Centre & Grangetown and Grangetown & Prospect Hotel occurred, replacing links lost by the curtailment of Service 6. When the bridge reopened, the revised route was retained as the 6 was never reinstated on that section and was subsequently withdrawn entirely.

I remember when the Queen Alexandra Bridge was shut one way, was a nightmare, the 6 had a decent route to

Some reason the Bygone area isn't working (like the links, the one for the 18/19 etc) so i'll ask here

What was the reason for them withdrawing the Evening and Sunday times?, was it due to low numbers?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm)Half Pint wrote Either chassis wash or paint shop

Thanks, shame the E400 won't have a run out on one of the Sunderland services Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Most repairs get done at Chi or if Chi gets full Walkergate. we've had 27509 at Chi before for work and a 24xxx from down smog land.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm)Michael wrote I remember when the Queen Alexandra Bridge was shut one way, was a nightmare, the 6 had a decent route to

Some reason the Bygone area isn't working (like the links, the one for the 18/19 etc) so i'll ask here

What was the reason for them withdrawing the Evening and Sunday times?, was it due to low numbers?

The official reason as I said earlier was that the competition from the opening of the Metro extension to South Hylton taking away passengers but as (1) the Evening and Sunday service was withdrawn at the same time as the Metro opened and (2) there aren't many Metro stations around Grindon, Humbledon and Grangetown, that reason just didn't sound convincing.

I assumed it just was low passenger numbers not producing the required return and the Metro was a convenient excuse.

Regards
David P
Site Administrator
(22 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm)Robinwtait.19 wrote Belated Happy Easter To Everyone. Is there any news to here about any cascades moving to various depots still no sign of 33492. Regards Robin

If you haven't seen 33492 for a while, it is most likely sat in a scrap yard somewhere.
Not much news but by driver talk today on the 23, the 2nd batch of gas buses are due to starting arriving within the next 2 weeks. (28018-28040)

As we know its May when they arrive but wasn't sure if we had an exact date on when the first 1 was due to arrive.

I'm not sure if this is driver speculating or if it's true, just putting what i heard.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm)AIG20 wrote I walk past Sunderland depot on my way to college, so I will let everyone know if I see a "14 plate" gas bus at the back of the depot - which is where they are usually placed after delivery.

=), thanks

I'll also start to have a walk around before i head in to the city centre

Not sure they gonna be 14 reg due to them being ordered earlier? not sure, sure i read on here
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Can I ask you something?
apart from the 25 new buses for Teesside which the 25 mans will be withdrawn when new buses come, how many more mans will be withdrawn?
Site Administrator
(22 Apr 2014, 7:33 pm)glen wrote Can I ask you something?
apart from the 25 new buses for Teesside which the 25 mans will be withdrawn when new buses come, how many more mans will be withdrawn?

25 E300s for Stockton
23 Gas Buses for Sunderland

= 48, with the possibility of three further ALX300s being withdrawn (although unknown at present) with the three E200s Shields are to receive. Still should be some more ALX300s to be withdrawn off the 28001-17 batch of gas buses entering service too? Could be wrong as I haven't been keeping up with SNE as of late, but I don't think 17 vehicles have been withdrawn?