You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(17 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm)JP6004 wrote Or long base versas as the citylink examples are coping well

A few drivers have told me that the Citylink Versas are incredibly rattley and aren't particularly nice to drive.

Putting anything other than a heavy weight vehicle on the Lime would be foolish. Would fall apart within the month!
If the B8RLE is a success in the case of a trial, then no doubt it will be bought. With the Merc's history on the Diamond and the performance of a few Diamonds I have rode on the Lime (5288, 5291 and 5297), they just don't seem suited to the route. Aside from being unreliable, I have always believed they are more suited to urban routes, not rural routes. If the B8RLE is just as good a performer as the B10BLE (which I think it will be when looking at a few statistics), I think GNE will purchase them for the Lime.
(17 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm)JP6004 wrote Or long base versas as the citylink examples are coping well

Maybe but you have to think about the route, the Lime is both long based routes, with banks and that, could they cope also looking at the current routes, by going one way they take:

8 - 82 mins
78/78A - 107 mins

as where the 58 takes 73 mins (full route)

Not sure they would cope

(Please let me know if my numbers are wrong XD)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm)Dan wrote A few drivers have told me that the Citylink Versas are incredibly rattley and aren't particularly nice to drive.

Putting anything other than a heavy weight vehicle on the Lime would be foolish. Would fall apart within the month!

Is it not the 6000 potholes along the route that make it rattly?
Site Administrator
2A is currently taking a diversion instead of going via Fatfield Bridge (as it did when it was closed for a few months). Driver has tried to contact control twice now and has stopped to talk to drivers passing in the other direction twice too.

Not sure what's going on. Driver did say something when we were at Penshaw but I had my earphones in.

This Cadet sounds unhealthy, feels like it's going to die and is generally being very unpleasant to ride at present.
(17 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm)Dan wrote A few drivers have told me that the Citylink Versas are incredibly rattley and aren't particularly nice to drive.

The B10's must be good buses then, they haven't fell apart yet!

they being on there since the Lime was launched? (not sure on date), they only had 1 re-brand, hopefully they will get a better brand when the new buses arrive.

Any idea when demo buses will start to appear?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm)Dan wrote 2A is currently taking a diversion instead of going via Fatfield Bridge (as it did when it was closed for a few months). Driver has tried to contact control twice now and has stopped to talk to drivers passing in the other direction twice too.

Not sure what's going on. Driver did say something when we were at Penshaw but I had my earphones in.

This Cadet sounds unhealthy, feels like it's going to die and is generally being very unpleasant to ride at present.

Aren't all the cadets like that haha

They are possible the worst buses in the fleet
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 11:51 am)Dan wrote Correct. If Go North East can get their hands on a Volvo B8RLE demonstrator and that proves to be superior to the Merc, then it's quite likely that the Volvo B8RLE could be purchased instead.

Of course purchasing the Merc would assist with depot standardisation, but if there's a more suitable vehicle on the market, it could be that the more suitable one is selected instead.

Be hard to get a B8RLE demo at present - as so far, there's no indication that a chassis has been built, or certainly if there has it hasn't been shown to Wrights yet.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm)Dan wrote 2A is currently taking a diversion instead of going via Fatfield Bridge (as it did when it was closed for a few months). Driver has tried to contact control twice now and has stopped to talk to drivers passing in the other direction twice too.

Has been some sort of accident at Fatfield Bridge. Caught a brief glimpse of two police cars blocking the road. Was a Connections4 Merc down there too. Here's hoping someone hasn't been knocked over by it!
(17 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Be hard to get a B8RLE demo at present - as so far, there's no indication that a chassis has been built, or certainly if there has it hasn't been shown to Wrights yet.

Thats out the window then Undecided
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm)Michael wrote Aren't all the cadets like that haha

They are possible the worst buses in the fleet

Not even joking, I prefer Darts. Think they have a bit more power and don't struggle as much.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm)Michael wrote Thats out the window then Undecided

Still time before the order needs to be placed!
(17 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm)Michael wrote The B10's must be good buses then, they haven't fell apart yet!

they being on there since the Lime was launched? (not sure on date), they only had 1 re-brand, hopefully they will get a better brand when the new buses arrive.

The Lime brand was launched along with the first few brands back in 2006, but has had a couple of livery changes, as shown here;

Now - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61783509@N...WJ9-9EQLK4
Then - https://www.flickr.com/photos/33928144@N...WJ9-9EQLK4
(17 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm)Michael wrote The B10's must be good buses then, they haven't fell apart yet!

The body work on some of them is looking tatty and some of the engines (to put it bluntly) sound knackered.

To last the length of time they have done, on the routes they have worked - will have been on all of the Stanley routes prior to branding and some since, as well as the 194/294, shows how good the B10 engine was (sounding like Davey here!).

If a Citaro or B8 comes on and does the route, then hopefully the reduction in engine size doesn't result in a poorer performance like the B7 engines have shown versus a B9.

edit: Just found a clip of a B8RLE in Denmark. Mobile phone laws in Denmark must be different Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm)Marcus wrote The Lime brand was launched along with the first few brands back in 2006, but has had a couple of livery changes, as shown here;

Now - https://www.flickr.com/photos/61783509@N...WJ9-9EQLK4
Then - https://www.flickr.com/photos/33928144@N...WJ9-9EQLK4

I hope they make the Lime brand better on the new buses, not sure how they will, if they keep it of course
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 1:25 pm)Michael wrote I hope they make the Lime brand better on the new buses, not sure how they will, if they keep it of course

Never really understood the thing behind the Lime name, I mean there are a lot of different things they could have named the brand other than the Lime. I mean, there are a lot of brands that are named for a purpose;

Whey Aye Five 0 - Pun that renames Hawaii Five 0 but replaces the Hawaii with Whey Aye, a northern slang phrase
Diamond - The name of the old independant that used to operate the route before being sucked into Northern General
Angel - It passes the North East's most notable landmark; The Angel of the North
The Waggonway - Passes Beamish Museum as well as running along an old essential waggonway route

When you think about, I can't relate to the Lime name having any sort of real purpose on the route, they could just as easily get rid of the Lambton Worm for the 34/34A (which was appropriate on the 71, but I have no idea what it's got to do with the 34/34A) and name that the Lime.

I suppose the whole Cycling thing was alright back then to promote cycling, but in the hundreds of times I've used the Lime I've not once seen a bike onboard.
(17 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm)Marcus wrote Never really understood the thing behind the Lime name, I mean there are a lot of different things they could have named the brand other than the Lime. I mean, there are a lot of brands that are named for a purpose;

Whey Aye Five 0 - Pun that renames Hawaii Five 0 but replaces the Hawaii with Whey Aye, a northern slang phrase
Diamond - The name of the old independant that used to operate the route before being sucked into Northern General
Angel - It passes the North East's most notable landmark; The Angel of the North
The Waggonway - Passes Beamish Museum as well as running along an old essential waggonway route

When you think about, I can't relate to the Lime name having any sort of real purpose on the route, they could just as easily get rid of the Lambton Worm for the 34/34A (which was appropriate on the 71, but I have no idea what it's got to do with the 34/34A) and name that the Lime.

I suppose the whole Cycling thing was alright back then to promote cycling, but in the hundreds of times I've used the Lime I've not once seen a bike onboard.

I'm not sure why its called Lime, i'm the same iv'e never ever seen a bike on the service's, i think it will be dropped when it gets new buses.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm)Michael wrote I'm not sure why its called Lime, i'm the same iv'e never ever seen a bike on the service's, i think it will be dropped when it gets new buses.

The lime operates near where the lime quarrys in county durham uses to be
(17 Apr 2014, 2:26 pm)JP6004 wrote The lime operates near where the lime quarrys in county durham uses to be

Thanks for the info, i didn't know that =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm)Marcus wrote Never really understood the thing behind the Lime name, I mean there are a lot of different things they could have named the brand other than the Lime. I mean, there are a lot of brands that are named for a purpose;

When you think about, I can't relate to the Lime name having any sort of real purpose on the route, they could just as easily get rid of the Worm for the 34/34A (which was appropriate on the 71, but I have no idea what it's got to do with the 34/34A) name that the Lime.

To be honest, the 4 or 2a/2c should be the only services to have the Lambton Worm branding as they go up/down Worm Hill Terrace, pass Worm Hill, serve Fatfield and serve Penshaw - which is where the worm was, depending which version you prefer.

(17 Apr 2014, 2:26 pm)JP6004 wrote The lime operates near where the lime quarrys in county durham uses to be

There's no Limestone up there according to this site: http://www.durhamlandscape.info/Pages/La...px?Layer=2&PageFrom=CCA_WestDurhamCoalfield
Always associated North West Durham with steel/coal and Phillias Fogg crisps - but happy to stand corrected.
There are a few disused Limestone quarries around Cox Green on the River Wear and what is now the tip at Houghton, but that's as near as the 8/78 goes to any Limestone.
(17 Apr 2014, 3:14 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote To be honest, the 4 or 2a/2c should be the only services to have the Lambton Worm branding as they go up/down Worm Hill Terrace, pass Worm Hill, serve Fatfield and serve Penshaw - which is where the worm was, depending which version you prefer.

Speaking of the 2A/2C, I've never really understood the Silver Arrows branding either! Tongue. I mean like in bus terms, I know the Silver Arrows was a famous automobile by Mercedes Benz. I suppose that could be the link because Mercedes make the Citaro.
A MAN has died after being pulled from the River Wear.

Police were called to riverbank at Bonemill Lane, Fatfield, Washington near the Biddick Inn at about 12.30pm today after a reports of a man in the river.

The man was recovered from the river and taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Police said enquiries are at an early stage and officers are working to identify him and to trace his family.

A spokesman said additional patrols are in the area to reassure residents and carry out enquiries.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local...-1-6568112
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 3:21 pm)Michael wrote A MAN has died after being pulled from the River Wear.

Police were called to riverbank at Bonemill Lane, Fatfield, Washington near the Biddick Inn at about 12.30pm today after a reports of a man in the river.

The man was recovered from the river and taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Police said enquiries are at an early stage and officers are working to identify him and to trace his family.

A spokesman said additional patrols are in the area to reassure residents and carry out enquiries.

unless you're blaming go north east for this i dunno why you have put this here?????
(17 Apr 2014, 3:23 pm)Wellsey18 wrote unless you're blaming go north east for this i dunno why you have put this here?????

No, it was the reason for the diversion, which happened early today for a number of GNE services... if u don't like it, don't read it... simple

Anyway did it say on my post that i was blaming GNE?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm)Marcus wrote Speaking of the 2A/2C, I've never really understood the Silver Arrows branding either! Tongue. I mean like in bus terms, I know the Silver Arrows was a famous automobile by Mercedes Benz. I suppose that could be the link because Mercedes make the Citaro.

Always presumed it had something to do with a watered down version of the Red Arrows that were using Citaros at the time.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(17 Apr 2014, 3:21 pm)Michael wrote A MAN has died after being pulled from the River Wear.

Ah, so that's what it was! Ta for posting.
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(17 Apr 2014, 9:20 am)Dan wrote The Versas on the QuayLink will be repainted next year assuming that Go North East lose the contract. With Nexus cost-cutting a lot as of late, I do wonder what the contract specification will be next year... I'm tempted to suggest they'd be happy with Go North East keeping the Versas on there.

I'd be very surprised. It's no secret that the entire public sector is massively slashing their budgets, but the trend since circa 2010 has been that the public sector always want more for less. You see it on the OJEC all the time.

The current craze is Euro 6, and Quaylink is Nexus' baby. I can't see the requirement being any less than than either a Euro 6, or Euro 5 Hybrid at a push. Something that they can shout about in a press conference.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(17 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm)Michael wrote No, it was the reason for the diversion, which happened early today for a number of GNE services... if u don't like it, don't read it... simple

Anyway did it say on my post that i was blaming GNE?

alreet settle down haha, just didn't know why you had put some random news on here then your explanation was kind of useful, the blaming if gne was only a joke cause you put it in here... I didn't realise it was the reason for the diversion
(17 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm)Wellsey18 wrote alreet settle down haha, just didn't know why you had put some random news on here then your explanation was kind of useful, the blaming if gne was only a joke cause you put it in here... I didn't realise it was the reason for the diversion

If you had read the previous posts, you'd have known Wink