You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(20 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote In terms of a new corporate livery, with the vehicles already being in red, could it be similar to what was seen on a early Shania Omnicity with the red and yellow with go north Easton the side

Can't remember what bus it was, anybody know what Im on about

I remember but not sure which bus/buses it was on.

I hope that livery was one of my favorites

Edit: http://londonbusesbyadam.zenfolio.com/p5...9#h125b839 - Like this? (trying to find a better picture)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Apr 2014, 3:11 pm)Michael wrote I remember but not sure which bus/buses it was on.

I hope that livery was one of my favorites

Edit: http://londonbusesbyadam.zenfolio.com/p5...9#h125b839 - Like this? (trying to find a better picture)

I think he does mean the old swirl livery. If I'm correct, it was only applied on DAFs, Lolynes, Darts, Cadets, 4993, 8293 and a few Scanias. For some reason a Trident President sporting it in Chester seems to be racing through my mind, but I honestly can't remember on that one.
(20 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm)gtom wrote Argh, the horrific flashbacks from that photo

Hahaha, its only 1 of GNE best buses Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote In terms of a new corporate livery, with the vehicles already being in red, could it be similar to what was seen on a early Scania Omnicity with the red and yellow with Go North East on the sides

Saw it on the 308 a few times before GNE withdrew it. It had large go north east logo down the side and a white and yellow swirl at the front
(20 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote In terms of a new corporate livery, with the vehicles already being in red, could it be similar to what was seen on a early Scania Omnicity with the red and yellow with Go North East on the sides

It was 5253 NK56 KHZ
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jncarter1962/499789982/
(20 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm)Acky81 wrote Drifter should be 60 only. When 60 and 61 were drifter few years back they both had different designs which was silly. Simplicity Sunderland only!!!!

Drifter on route 61 today madness
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2014, 10:40 am)Acky81 wrote Drifter on route 61 today madness

What time was this? There are some morning runs which start on "SimpliCity" service 61, run light, and then go on "Drifter" service 60 for the rest of the day.
(21 Apr 2014, 10:49 am)Dan wrote What time was this? There are some morning runs which start on "SimpliCity" service 61, run light, and then go on "Drifter" service 60 for the rest of the day.

About 925 at mill inn heading for Sunderland
(21 Apr 2014, 11:10 am)Acky81 wrote About 925 at mill inn heading for Sunderland

On a Sunday service aswell so was wondering if this would continue on 2a2c routes
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2014, 11:11 am)Acky81 wrote On a Sunday service aswell so was wondering if this would continue on 2a2c routes

Yes - a scheduled "Drifter" allocation.
As far as I know from personal observation, that bus does two 61s, and then 60s/42s all day after that.
I know this is more to do with National Express than directly with GNE, but does anyone know if the coaches have specific allocations, like the newest ones are put on the premiere and longer services? I really should know this, but as I rarely see the coaches out in service other than in the Newcastle area when I pay a visit to there (would you believe I once got stuck in a traffic jam down in the middle of the country, I think it may have been York, and I had 7101 behind me for twenty five minutes on it's way to Paignton). I know they get serviced on Chester's pits every few days because they make more mileage and need to be maintained every couple of days to make sure they're fit for service. Does it work anything like the those two Panthers do the shortest services to say Manchester or Liverpool and the rest of the Levantes do all the other services, or do they just throw them out on everything?
If GNE clearly consolidated all single and return fares into a publicised fare and zone map and system, would an exact fare only rule like Nottingham, Birmingham and Edinburgh work? I know it wouldn't be feasible for the X9 and X10 due to the distance but for all other services, it would help to some extent. Take the 21 for example, it would spend less time at stops and giving change thus helping to aid reliability with particular regards to the Durham Road area. If it was well publicised in advance for purely the benefit of the passengers such as more buses running to time and quicker journey times, do you think it would work?
(21 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote it would spend less time at stops and giving change thus helping to aid reliability as more buses running to time and quicker journey time

How long before buses have automatic change machines (like those on supermarket self-service tills)?

Comment has been made about how pass-holders slow down passenger entry as they struggle to find their passes, but I see many fare-paying passengers holding up the bus as they look for cash.

Maybe a card like an Oystercard is called for?
The pay as you go Pop card will be in operation on all buses by next summer. NEXUS have paid for the modern ticket machines all the operators now have precisely for this purpose [/align]
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(21 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm)G-CPTN wrote How long before buses have automatic change machines (like those on supermarket self-service tills)?

Comment has been made about how pass-holders slow down passenger entry as they struggle to find their passes, but I see many fare-paying passengers holding up the bus as they look for cash.

Hasn't Nexus looked into 'Oyster' Cards in the past

I always thought The Key was an oyster like card...
(21 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm)G-CPTN wrote How long before buses have automatic change machines (like those on supermarket self-service tills)?

I agree, introducing a system similar to Oystercards where everyone swipes and goes would allow buses to save time at stops. One time a few weeks ago I was on 5347 on the X66 and a woman hadn't realised that the Day Tickets had gone up about 15 pence if I recall, so she spent literally sixty seconds rumaging around for change. I know people use 'for a minute' or 'it took a few moments' to describe lengths of time, but waiting for someone for about a minute in reality is absolutely terrible. All of the passengers in the front seats were sitting staring at her as she made her way to the back Tongue
(21 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm)Marcus wrote I know this is more to do with National Express than directly with GNE, but does anyone know if the coaches have specific allocations, like the newest ones are put on the premiere and longer services? I really should know this, but as I rarely see the coaches out in service other than in the Newcastle area when I pay a visit to there (would you believe I once got stuck in a traffic jam down in the middle of the country, I think it may have been York, and I had 7101 behind me for twenty five minutes on it's way to Paignton). I know they get serviced on Chester's pits every few days because they make more mileage and need to be maintained every couple of days to make sure they're fit for service. Does it work anything like the those two Panthers do the shortest services to say Manchester or Liverpool and the rest of the Levantes do all the other services, or do they just throw them out on everything?

The 332 (Swindon), 530 (Paington) and 531 (Plymouth) normally seem to be allocated the tri-axle Scania/Levante, the 024/326/410/420/425/426/561 seem to be the Volvo B9R/Levantes while the 380/580 just get allocated anything. The summer additionally sees the 663 (Skegness) operate which also gets given anything. Just to point out, the 380 and 580 are one day rotas while 326/332/530/531 are 2 days, not sure regarding 024/410/420/425/426/561 workings.
(21 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Hasn't Nexus looked into 'Oyster' Cards in the past

I always thought The Key was an oyster like card...

I suppose so, but I think there are a few differences. It's been a long time since I was last in London, I'm going down in the summer, but I think people would upload money automatically at things that I would describe as ATMs. I don't remember hearing anything about uploading tickets online, but I can imagine it happening. Key cards however are only useable on buses, and Oyster Cards are needed in order to access tube stations etc as well as buses, which I also think no longer take money as a result of the Oyster Cards.
(21 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm)markydh wrote The pay as you go Pop card will be in operation on all buses by next summer. NEXUS have paid for the modern ticket machines all the operators now have precisely for this purpose [/align]

Nexus paid for the ticket machines on GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva.....Don't think so.
(21 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm)Marcus wrote I suppose so, but I think there are a few differences. It's been a long time since I was last in London, I'm going down in the summer, but I think people would upload money automatically at things that I would describe as ATMs. I don't remember hearing anything about uploading tickets online, but I can imagine it happening. Key cards however are only useable on buses, and Oyster Cards are needed in order to access tube stations etc as well as buses, which I also think no longer take money as a result of the Oyster Cards.

Buses in London will no longer take cash fares from July as a result not only of Oyster Cards but also Wave and Pay Debit Cards. Is there any sign of being able to use those cards on GNE's buses?

Rgds
David
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm)citaro5284 wrote Nexus paid for the ticket machines on GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva.....Don't think so.

I'd have thought if they did, all operators would have had the exact same ticket machine make/model? Surely independent operators would be entitled to the same offer too?

Seems a cost an operator would pay for, if you ask me.
(21 Apr 2014, 4:51 pm)Kuyoyo wrote The 332 (Swindon), 530 (Paington) and 531 (Plymouth) normally seem to be allocated the tri-axle Scania/Levante, the 024/326/410/420/425/426/561 seem to be the Volvo B9R/Levantes while the 380/580 just get allocated anything. The summer additionally sees the 663 (Skegness) operate which also gets given anything. Just to point out, the 380 and 580 are one day rotas while 326/332/530/531 are 2 days, not sure regarding 024/410/420/425/426/561 workings.

561 has had a tri-axle allocated but not very often. As far as i'm aware the london rota is mainly 2, 3 & 4 nights away, cross county is as said 1 night away.
(21 Apr 2014, 5:14 pm)DavidP wrote Buses in London will no longer take cash fares from July as a result not only of Oyster Cards but also Wave and Pay Debit Cards. Is there any sign of being able to use those cards on GNE's buses?

Rgds
David

I'm not quite sure, I think after the investment they made in the Key a few years back they are unlikely to do any massive change at the moment anyway. Although GNE are the biggest operator in the region, I don't think they're always striving to compete with operators other than Arriva and Stagecoach; basically while they are ambitious I don't think the board of directors discuss improving the system so it's more efficient than the one down in London. I really can't see credit cards being accepted on buses up here Tongue, I think thats more of a capital city thing. London have a lot of things in their transport system I doubt we'll ever get.
(17 Apr 2014, 11:30 am)Marcus wrote Just out of interest, does anyone have any suggestions for the Lime's fate? I mean, the way it's looking the upgrade is going to be Citaros, but will they be bought new or cascaded from something else? My theory is, when I was speaking to a driver about it, he suggested that perhaps the Diamond Citaros could be taken off the Diamond and put on the Lime, then new double deckers could be bought for that, because one point he stressed that I couldn't help agreeing with, was that the Lime isn't a mainstream route like the 21, and as a result, isn't a top priority for brand new vehicles.

I could see something like that happening, but not this year. I think GNE will be taking a break from orders for a while. But, if we all know the Renowns will be extinct within the fleet by the end of the year, what will replace them on the Lime? Perhaps, if new Gemini's are ordered for the Red Arrows, then a new batch for the Diamond may be ordered with them? (like with the Fab Fifty Six and the Cobalts). I doubt GNE will purchase new Citaros, but once again it's a 50/50 option, they could just as easily buy direct new Citaros for the Lime and eliminate the Diamond getting new buses and a cascade occuring. Any ideas?

I think the Diamond suits the Citaros and when the odd decker does get allocated for whatever reason they never carry loads that justifies deckers as a permanent fixture on the route apart from the obvious peak journeys of which pretty much every bus does at these times and I think it would be a waste of money on brand new or even cascaded deckers as the route doesn't gain enough passengers to even fill three-quarters of a decker.

I do hope the Lime gets brand new Citaros. It will be a real boost for the routes and will improve the service once the old B10s come off as they have been on front line service for a good few years now so as we all know have became quite unreliable and there seems to be more and more spares appearing on the routes which can cause a lot of confusing towards routes that don't have a brand and the sun is causing the destination not to show (I am trying to create a situation here) can result in people getting on the wrong bus even though the side destination can probably show the destination of the bus quite clearly.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm)Michael wrote I think they were dumped years ago, currently rotting somewhere

Up in Alpha Recovery's yard Tongue (The Electric buses Stagecoach used when they had the Quaylink contract)