You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(21 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm)Robert wrote I think the Diamond suits the Citaros and when the odd decker does get allocated for whatever reason they never carry loads that justifies deckers as a permanent fixture on the route apart from the obvious peak journeys of which pretty much every bus does at these times and I think it would be a waste of money on brand new or even cascaded deckers as the route doesn't gain enough passengers to even fill three-quarters of a decker.

I do hope the Lime gets brand new Citaros. It will be a real boost for the routes and will improve the service once the old B10s come off as they have been on front line service for a good few years now so as we all know have became quite unreliable and there seems to be more and more spares appearing on the routes which can cause a lot of confusing towards routes that don't have a brand and the sun is causing the destination not to show (I am trying to create a situation here) can result in people getting on the wrong bus even though the side destination can probably show the destination of the bus quite clearly.

I've seen that happen many a time with elderly passengers, for example twice when I've had a Diamond Citaro heading to Sunderland on the 78 in the afternoon. You see, on an afternoon at Stand A in Chester, the sun is shining north and is affecting all destination blinds. One time with 5297 everybody thought it was a completely different vehicle (barring me of course) on a completely different route until it pulled up. Unfortunatley for one elderly gentleman in a case with 5291 a few days ago, everybody got on except him, who claimed 'he didn't trust the side destinations' because one time 'he got on a green bus that was meant to go to Consett, but on the side it said Sunderland'. I stood there grinning as I got on, then sat at the back. When we pulled out, he took one look at the rear destination and shouted 'Oh, S***!'
(21 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm)Dan wrote I'd have thought if they did, all operators would have had the exact same ticket machine make/model? Surely independent operators would be entitled to the same offer too?

Seems a cost an operator would pay for, if you ask me.

Smartcard technology was another taxpayer funded initiative that fell under the BSOG scheme

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...incentives

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.u...ntives.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...yments.xls

Go North East/Go Northern claimed the incentives in 2012 and 2013. Data for 2014 is not yet available.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(21 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm)Marcus wrote I've seen that happen many a time with elderly passengers, for example twice when I've had a Diamond Citaro heading to Sunderland on the 78 in the afternoon. You see, on an afternoon at Stand A in Chester, the sun is shining north and is affecting all destination blinds. One time with 5297 everybody thought it was a completely different vehicle (barring me of course) on a completely different route until it pulled up. Unfortunatley for one elderly gentleman in a case with 5291 a few days ago, everybody got on except him, who claimed 'he didn't trust the side destinations' because one time 'he got on a green bus that was meant to go to Consett, but on the side it said Sunderland'. I stood there grinning as I got on, then sat at the back. When we pulled out, he took one look at the rear destination and shouted 'Oh, S***!'

Part of me does feel sorry for him (more because of his age) but he got what he deserved as it is very rare that a LED display is wrong but Flipdots can freeze (like 3823s rear and 5165s side) which can often display the wrong destination but again this is very rare.
(21 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm)Robert wrote Part of me does feel sorry for him (more because of his age) but he got what he deserved as it is very rare that a LED display is wrong but Flipdots can freeze (like 3823s rear and 5165s side) which can often display the wrong destination but again this is very rare.

He wasn't like in his 70s/80s, more so about early 60s, possibly recently retired.
(21 Apr 2014, 7:02 pm)Marcus wrote He wasn't like in his 70s/80s, more so about early 60s, possibly recently retired.

I don't feel sorry for him then Tongue. I suppose the 'Oh S###!' kind of gave the age away. Imagine a 70 or even 80 year old person shouting that in the middle of Chester or anywhere else in that matter. It would be hilarious!
Unless you are absolutely certain, it is worth asking the driver where he intends going to.

We've had through buses with the wrong destination on on the blind.

(Opposing direction Tens do a loop through Corbridge and are scheduled three minutes apart.)
(21 Apr 2014, 5:53 pm)Marcus wrote I'm not quite sure, I think after the investment they made in the Key a few years back they are unlikely to do any massive change at the moment anyway. Although GNE are the biggest operator in the region, I don't think they're always striving to compete with operators other than Arriva and Stagecoach; basically while they are ambitious I don't think the board of directors discuss improving the system so it's more efficient than the one down in London. I really can't see credit cards being accepted on buses up here Tongue, I think thats more of a capital city thing. London have a lot of things in their transport system I doubt we'll ever get.

All 12 local authorities in the North East, GNE, Stagecoach, Arriva, Metro and Northern Rail are invested in the NESTI project. NESTI is managed and ran by Nexus on behalf of the local authorities, and also provides the back office infrastructure. I'd hope we'd see something of a trial towards the back end of the year, but I honestly don't think we'd see the real benefits of such system (fare caps for example) unless QCS comes in.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(21 Apr 2014, 5:07 pm)citaro5284 wrote Nexus paid for the ticket machines on GNE, Stagecoach and Arriva.....Don't think so.

See attached - 2nd from last paragraph:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/travel...university

"It [Nexus] has paid over £1 million in grants to bus companies to upgrade ticket machines to work with a single smart infrastructure – meaning people can use local transport anywhere between the Tees Valley and Scottish border on a single card.
(22 Apr 2014, 10:17 am)Venturego wrote "It [Nexus] has paid over £1 million in grants to bus companies to upgrade ticket machines to work with a single smart infrastructure – meaning people can use local transport anywhere between the Tees Valley and Scottish border on a single card.

They have paid to upgrade the ETM's for NESTI, they have not actually paid for the ETM's.
(21 Apr 2014, 6:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Go North East/Go Northern claimed the incentives in 2012 and 2013. Data for 2014 is not yet available.

And out of fairness....did other large Operators within the North East claimed incentives as well....Oh yes, Arriva and Stagecoach!
(22 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm)citaro5284 wrote And out of fairness....did other large Operators within the North East claimed incentives as well....Oh yes, Arriva and Stagecoach!

Yes they did. Anyone who reads the documents would have seen that, the millions each operator has received and will be able to make their own judgement call.

As the discussion was in the GNE thread and was specific to GNE, I wasn't sure what relevance there was to mentioning the other two companies.

Any idea when the AVL system that GNE have received financial support for over the last two years, will come into play?
Site Administrator
(22 Apr 2014, 4:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Yes they did. Anyone who reads the documents would have seen that, the millions each operator has received and will be able to make their own judgement call.

Providing these operators are still re-investing back into the company (i.e. by purchasing new vehicles), I really can't see the issue with operators receiving these 'financial incentives'. You could argue that if they didn't receive these incentives, we wouldn't have as many brand new vehicles (which do benefit customers - greater reliability, on-board facilities such as free Wi-Fi etc)..?

(18 Apr 2014, 9:50 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Never mind Clifford or Fyacebuk - wonder how the real Hignett and whatever his sidekick was called are reacting?
Dying to know if they are still in the pip with GNE!

Given that we discussed him for so long in relation to Go North East, it does feel somewhat appropriate to mention that I've just read a post on Facebook about news of Ian's death.
I'm not 100% sure if it's the same Ian Hignett, but I'm guessing it is.
(22 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm)Dan wrote Providing these operators are still re-investing back into the company (i.e. by purchasing new vehicles), I really can't see the issue with operators receiving these 'financial incentives'. You could argue that if they didn't receive these incentives, we wouldn't have as many brand new vehicles (which do benefit customers - greater reliability, on-board facilities such as free Wi-Fi etc)..?

Given that we discussed him for so long in relation to Go North East, it does feel somewhat appropriate to mention that I've just read a post on Facebook about news of Ian's death.

Not going to speak ill of the dead, but if it is him then hopefully others will be the same and wish condolences to his family
(22 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm)Dan wrote Providing these operators are still re-investing back into the company (i.e. by purchasing new vehicles), I really can't see the issue with operators receiving these 'financial incentives'. You could argue that if they didn't receive these incentives, we wouldn't have as many brand new vehicles (which do benefit customers - greater reliability, on-board facilities such as free Wi-Fi etc)..?

I'm afraid it is. He passed this morning after a heart attack. Ian was a bit of a marmite guy and I know he ruffled a few feathers in places but his knowledge of GNE and Northern Group before it was unsurpassed. He was a true gent and will be sorely missed.
Site Administrator
(22 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm)RGR756V wrote I'm afraid it is. He passed this morning after a heart attack. Ian was a bit of a marmite guy and I know he ruffled a few feathers in places but his knowledge of GNE and Northern Group before it was unsurpassed. He was a true gent and will be sorely missed.

Was quite surprised to read it on Facebook, after having read posts from him on an enthusiast group just six hours beforehand! Thoughts go out to his family and friends.
(22 Apr 2014, 4:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Any idea when the AVL system that GNE have received financial support for over the last two years, will come into play?

Didn't they invest in AVL about 10 years ago? Pretty sure there was talk about fitting the fleet out back in the mid 00's or earlier?

Out of interest, is the AVL that Arriva use built into their ETMs?
(22 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm)aureolin wrote Didn't they invest in AVL about 10 years ago? Pretty sure there was talk about fitting the fleet out back in the mid 00's or earlier?

It is indeed, see here

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(22 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm)aureolin wrote Didn't they invest in AVL about 10 years ago? Pretty sure there was talk about fitting the fleet out back in the mid 00's or earlier?

Yes, a Siemens system.

I believe it is, most AVL systems are using ETM's now.
(22 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm)RGR756V wrote I'm afraid it is. He passed this morning after a heart attack. Ian was a bit of a marmite guy and I know he ruffled a few feathers in places but his knowledge of GNE and Northern Group before it was unsurpassed. He was a true gent and will be sorely missed.

My condolences to his family...Sad
(22 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm)tyresmoke wrote It is indeed, see here

(22 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm)citaro5284 wrote Yes, a Siemens system.

Cheers both. I take it the Siemens system didn't work as intended? It's good to see AVL investment. Hopefully we'll see more next bus displays at bus stops to compliment it.
(22 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm)citaro5284 wrote Yes, a Siemens system.

So why do they need government money if it is already fitted?
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest

Never liked the mans attitude or how easy he could wind people up or all the shite he posted on GNE FB page, but hearing of his death saddens me a little, I wont say too much as I was brought up not to disrespect death as they cant defend themselves, but my thoughts and prayers go out to those who have survived him...Does anyone know how old he was out of interest?

RIP Ian
My sincere condolences to Ian Hignett's family and friends.

Whilst a figure of fun and one that maybe irked some of us I'm sure his intentions were good natured and he did seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of local bus services.

GT
MPD 524 was operating Hexham-Corbridge-Hexham 687 today.

The driver said it was 'a cracking little bus'.
(22 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm)G-CPTN wrote MPD 524 was operating Hexham-Corbridge-Hexham 687 today.

The driver said it was 'a cracking little bus'.

Was a gun being pointed in his direction when he said this?!
(22 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm)gtom wrote Was a gun being pointed in his direction when he said this?!

Not at all and an honest man I have found.

(He showed great restraint when two 'upper class' pensioners verbally abused him for asking them to re-swipe their passes when they stayed on beyond the turnaround point of the circular route. I spoke up for him with his manager.)