You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(04 May 2014, 9:12 am)Dan wrote As reported in this news article, Go North East have sent fourteen vehicles for today's North East Bus & Coach show hosted at the Metrocentre.

they've sent quite alot, glad to seer all their new buses are there to along with the likes of the newish whey aye five-0 buses

I couldn't make it, i have so much uni work to do by end of the month... haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(03 May 2014, 10:18 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Just a few commenta/observations from today.

Saw a Solar bendi scooting along Market St tonight. Didn't catch what it was on.

When passing through Gateshead, a NIS 10 branded Gemini, was in the layover area (facing the wrong way) with a guy in a high viz letting a load of kids on.
When in the town, a NIS 10 branded Gemini was whizzing back and forth along streets the 10 doesn't go along.

Does anyone have any info or explanations about the sightings?

Nah, doesn't meet the FPF requirements.

You cant seriously be comparing me and him - can you?

Tempting................... Tongue
This years rally is a complete opposite to last years which was high on stalls but low on entrants. Good to see that the Olympian there was from Stanley and as I was going I haven't even looked at the news because I didn't want to know what buses GNE would be having. I noticed that 7087 also popped in with 'Enthusiasts Club' on its dest. It is a shame that Stagecoach aren't that enthusiastic about it now as I think sending some of their new buses would have been a perfect opportunity. The only real improvement for me would be if they parked the old 'Venture' Leopard or whatever it is and the new Venture SR next to each other and that would of been the icing on the cake for me.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(04 May 2014, 3:50 pm)Robert wrote This years rally is a complete opposite to last years which was high on stalls but low on entrants. Good to see that the Olympian there was from Stanley and as I was going I haven't even looked at the news because I didn't want to know what buses GNE would be having. I noticed that 7087 also popped in with 'Enthusiasts Club' on its dest. It is a shame that Stagecoach aren't that enthusiastic about it now as I think sending some of their new buses would have been a perfect opportunity. The only real improvement for me would be if they parked the old 'Venture' Leopard or whatever it is and the new Venture SR next to each other and that would of been the icing on the cake for me.

Re: Venture - Believe they did this at 4pm.
Site Administrator
(04 May 2014, 4:20 pm)Marcus wrote Is that why there was a space next to the Venture Leopard?

Possibly. I think 641 parked next to it just as it was leaving. The other buses have just finished their photoshoot (minus 8294 which left at 1600 like 641).
Had a bit of a day out, milking the t*ts out of a Day Rover.
Will put details down in the appropriate thread, but wanted to share a couple of experiences relating to GNE staff.

This morning, a mother accompanied by a tearful child flagged the bus down and explained to the driver the son had left his bag on a 35b or c (she couldn't remember).
The bus was late and bearing in mind the driver knew the 35 was from a different depot, listened and radioed control to get official feedback.
A detailed discussion followed with control, before explaining the situation to the mother and advising her.

Another vehicle later in the day, was about to pull away, but saw us running and opened the doors.
When showing our tickets, he took each and every one to inspect, before letting us on.

The final example, saw us running for a bus which was parked in the bus station.
As we approached it, the indicators went on and as we got to the door, the driver closed them as if to pull away - early.
He faffed on, saw us, shook his head and then opened the door.
I questioned why he had closed the doors as we were standing there and his response made me laugh and left me lost for words.
"You weren't at the door when I closed them and went to pull away. You were running alongside the bus".
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 May 2014, 4:52 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The final example, saw us running for a bus which was parked in the bus station.
As we approached it, the indicators went on and as we got to the door, the driver closed them as if to pull away - early.
He faffed on, saw us, shook his head and then opened the door.
I questioned why he had closed the doors as we were standing there and his response made me laugh and left me lost for words.
"You weren't at the door when I closed them and went to pull away. You were running alongside the bus".

Shocking. I remember last year. Most of the time on a Scholars service we just stick our key cards on the readers and we are accepted but some ask where we want to go. One night we had a driver and done neither of these things and instead just stared at me and it took me at least 10 seconds to think of a reason which was to know where I was going. I then asked if he wanted to know where I was going and his response was 'I don't want to know where you are going but I do want you to tell me where you are going'. I was absolutely disgusted by this so reported this driver to Go North East and got this response a few days later to words of this affect:
'We have suspended the driver for a temporary period while we try and prevent this incident from happening again'. We have had the same driver many times since and nothing has changed apart from me knowing why he keeps staring at me but with most drivers taking no interest in where I want to go and a minority wanting to know it would make sense that he actually asked us anyway.
Arriva and Go North East drivers in Tynedale seem disinterested in destination but Stagecoach wait expectantly until you read the notice which states that you must state your destination (this is with a pensioner pass).
(05 May 2014, 6:39 pm)Robert wrote Shocking. I remember last year. Most of the time on a Scholars service we just stick our key cards on the readers and we are accepted but some ask where we want to go. One night we had a driver and done neither of these things and instead just stared at me and it took me at least 10 seconds to think of a reason which was to know where I was going. I then asked if he wanted to know where I was going and his response was 'I don't want to know where you are going but I do want you to tell me where you are going'. I was absolutely disgusted by this so reported this driver to Go North East and got this response a few days later to words of this affect:
'We have suspended the driver for a temporary period while we try and prevent this incident from happening again'. We have had the same driver many times since and nothing has changed apart from me knowing why he keeps staring at me but with most drivers taking no interest in where I want to go and a minority wanting to know it would make sense that he actually asked us anyway.

I always state my destination bus to avoid situations like that. One time Christmas 2012 I was getting the 78, and as I got on I put my key card on the reader and I was about to say it when I mumbled and couldn't get my words out. He then slapped his thigh and raised his voice a little and asked me where I wanted to go. I told him that that was uncalled for, and he just scoffed. I didn't bother to do anything but scowled at him as I got off, without a thank you.

In the Customer Services thread I've posted a story about an incident with a GNE employee. I recommend taking a look.
Does anyone know why Get Around users are required to state (and the ETM prompts for) a destination, whereas those with BuzzFare tickets aren't? It seems a bit inconsistent from the outset, but I'm sure there's a reason behind it?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(05 May 2014, 7:09 pm)aureolin wrote Does anyone know why Get Around users are required to state (and the ETM prompts for) a destination, whereas those with BuzzFare tickets aren't? It seems a bit inconsistent from the outset, but I'm sure there's a reason behind it?

It's probably because of the zones or peak times etc. It's like I always pay my 90 pence instead of doing it all online, but although I always wind up paying just 90 pence, some people with Get Around Day Tickets or online things that aren't accepted when they get on at the end of the day at my school (County Durham), because they are getting off in Shiney Row (Tyne and Wear).
(05 May 2014, 7:12 pm)Marcus wrote It's probably because of the zones or peak times etc. It's like I always pay my 90 pence instead of doing it all online, but although I always wind up paying just 90 pence, some people with Get Around Day Tickets or online things that aren't accepted when they get on at the end of the day at my school (County Durham), because they are getting off in Shiney Row (Tyne and Wear).

Sorry I was referring to those with weekly/termly/monthly Get Around tickets stored on their Key card. I don't understand why those are prompted for a destination, when they cover all zones?
(05 May 2014, 7:17 pm)aureolin wrote Sorry I was referring to those with weekly/termly/monthly Get Around tickets stored on their Key card. I don't understand why those are prompted for a destination, when they cover all zones?

Even when I had a day ticket on my key card I was asked to state my detestation on most services I used.
(05 May 2014, 7:24 pm)Tom wrote Even when I had a day ticket on my key card I was asked to state my detestation on most services I used.
Your detestation? Wink

I have a few of those but I don't think I would talk about them when using my Key!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(05 May 2014, 7:26 pm)northern156 wrote Your detestation? Wink

I have a few of those but I don't think I would talk about them when using my Key!

Whoops Wink
Destination lol
(05 May 2014, 9:20 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Thursday traveling to duhram how much is an explorer now and will it get me onto arriva 7 is there boundries for this like use it till certain time are not cheers

£9.50, see http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/ticke...er-tickets

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Notice that 5295 ended up with a smashed windscreen on Sunday. Just seen a photo of it from Eldon Square bus station. Any ideas what happened?
(06 May 2014, 9:06 am)aureolin wrote Notice that 5295 ended up with a smashed windscreen on Sunday. Just seen a photo of it from Eldon Square bus station. Any ideas what happened?

I don't know. I'm not too sure, but is it just me, or does Stanley's buses seem to be in accidents or smashes a lot. Fair enough there are a lot of VOR vehicles at other depots, but there was 3821 on that scholars, 5295 just now, 3886 (possibly) on scholars (all within a couple of months) and I think I saw a photo on Flickr of a Diamond Merc in Saltmeadows with a smashed windscreen a while back.
Site Administrator
(06 May 2014, 3:32 pm)Marcus wrote I don't know. I'm not too sure, but is it just me, or does Stanley's buses seem to be in accidents or smashes a lot. Fair enough there are a lot of VOR vehicles at other depots, but there was 3821 on that scholars, 5295 just now, 3886 (possibly) on scholars (all within a couple of months) and I think I saw a photo on Flickr of a Diamond Merc in Saltmeadows with a smashed windscreen a while back.

Providing we're thinking of the same incidents, the Diamond Merc was May 30th 2013:
[Image: 8896127984_ab1c868854_z.jpg]
[Image: 8895504489_c2c1124855_z.jpg]

Coincidentally, one was also on service 78A that evening too:
[Image: 8896014685_9cac6c7286_z.jpg]

Photographs above copyright to myself, blahblahblah.
(06 May 2014, 3:44 pm)Dan wrote Providing we're thinking of the same incidents, the Diamond Merc was May 30th 2013:
[Image: 8896127984_ab1c868854_z.jpg]
[Image: 8895504489_c2c1124855_z.jpg]

Coincidentally, one was also on service 78A that evening too:
[Image: 8896014685_9cac6c7286_z.jpg]

Photographs above copyright to myself, blahblahblah.

Yes that's right. 5289. Every time I get the Diamond I end up with that one for some odd reason.
(06 May 2014, 3:32 pm)Marcus wrote I don't know. I'm not too sure, but is it just me, or does Stanley's buses seem to be in accidents or smashes a lot. Fair enough there are a lot of VOR vehicles at other depots, but there was 3821 on that scholars, 5295 just now, 3886 (possibly) on scholars (all within a couple of months) and I think I saw a photo on Flickr of a Diamond Merc in Saltmeadows with a smashed windscreen a while back.

Not Stanley's fault this time, a Riverside bus wanted to get friendly with it at Eldon Square over the weekend.
(06 May 2014, 7:10 pm)citaro5284 wrote Not Stanley's fault this time, a Riverside bus wanted to get friendly with it at Eldon Square over the weekend.

Ouch. Takes some doing to not see a big bright orange bus mind!
(06 May 2014, 7:13 pm)aureolin wrote Ouch. Takes some doing to not see a big bright orange bus mind!

There was an interesting discussion on the GNE fb page the other day - presumably about this little coming together.
(06 May 2014, 7:27 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote There was an interesting discussion on the GNE fb page the other day - presumably about this little coming together.

Yes complete with doctors, hospitals and no doubt....have you had an accident in the past 10 years?
(06 May 2014, 7:54 pm)gtom wrote Yes complete with doctors, hospitals and no doubt....have you had an accident in the past 10 years?

Not when I last looked Wink
It was a case of someone on one of the buses reporting the incident and the cs person apparently being unaware of the bump or disruption.
Does anyone know if there will be major North Tyneside changes this year? Never been any for a while, and there are some improvements that could be made, notably the North Tyne Links.