You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2014

RE: North East Bus & Coach Show 2015
Lets hope the turn out will be as good as this years one - If the 17 does receive a upgrade, I'd like to see it branded and then they could go to that rally.

I'd also like something from Crook to turn up, and something from Peterlee.
(11 May 2014, 2:32 pm)Tom wrote Lets hope the turn out will be as good as this years one - If the 17 does receive a upgrade, I'd like to see it branded and then they could go to that rally.

I'd also like something from Crook to turn up, and something from Peterlee.

Not sure Peterlee have anything presentable enough?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
Personally would like to see one bus from each depot, but I think even that's pushing it.
Do think the massive result this year (which included an Olympian - a rather unlikely candidate to attend) is a sign that Go North East wanted to go out with a bang, as it were - with attendance in future events being somewhat limited in comparison.
(11 May 2014, 2:53 pm)citaro5284 wrote A WTX Mercedes not presentable enough?

That's true! Rest is a pretty good example of a low cost depot I suppose.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(11 May 2014, 2:53 pm)citaro5284 wrote A WTX Mercedes not presentable enough?

I'd think a WTX Mercedes over an East Durham MPD is a good bargain, but to be honest I don't think the new livery is appealing (in my opinion). If I had to pick the most complex and best looking livery in the GNE fleet, it would have to be the Saltwell Park.
RE: Go North East - Latest
Just a quick question. When heading to the Metrocentre today I followed a Green Mercedes Sprinter minibus which carries the fleet number 1009 (HX54 EEO). It turned off along Newburn Road at Shield Row (where the 143 used to turn in) and I would love to know what it was for. Is it due to a passenger being unable to board a bus due to that particular run being an Olympian or is it a contract they have?
(11 May 2014, 4:43 pm)Robert wrote Just a quick question. When heading to the Metrocentre today I followed a Green Mercedes Sprinter minibus which carries the fleet number 1009 (HX54 EEO). It turned off along Newburn Road at Shield Row (where the 143 used to turn in) and I would love to know what it was for. Is it due to a passenger being unable to board a bus due to that particular run being an Olympian or is it a contract they have?

This;

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/emdjt42/55...D_w_IS_all

I believe it's one of those complimentary taxis GNE state on their website if a non-easy access bus prevents a wheelchair user from boarding. I've never heard of it being used for anything else, such as a private party.
Site Administrator
(11 May 2014, 4:52 pm)Marcus wrote This;

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/emdjt42/55...D_w_IS_all

I believe it's one of those complimentary taxis GNE state on their website if a non-easy access bus prevents a wheelchair user from boarding. I've never heard of it being used for anything else, such as a private party.

Doesn't look like that would be "easy access" either?

Quite often used for Percy Main driver transport to/from North Shields. Have seen it heading towards Chester in the past though - again appearing to be employee transport:
[Image: 10002121375_4bfe6ca20e_z.jpg]
(11 May 2014, 4:54 pm)Dan wrote Doesn't look like that would be "easy access" either?

Quite often used for Percy Main driver transport to/from North Shields. Have seen it heading towards Chester in the past though - again appearing to be employee transport:
[Image: 10002121375_4bfe6ca20e_z.jpg]

Might have a ramp at the back doors?
(11 May 2014, 4:56 pm)Marcus wrote Might have a ramp at the back doors?

It doesn't - It's primarily used for transporting drivers from Percy Main to North Shields as Dan said.
On the subject of Percy Main depot, is the 19 fully contracted? Or is the North Shields to Northumberland Park commercial?
(11 May 2014, 5:17 pm)Tom wrote It doesn't - It's primarily used for transporting drivers from Percy Main to North Shields as Dan said.

Quite a bang down to earth!
In its previous life, it was was owned by an Independent Girls School down south somewhere.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 May 2014, 5:17 pm)Tom wrote It doesn't - It's primarily used for transporting drivers from Percy Main to North Shields as Dan said.

It did from as far as I could see anyway. I could see yellow poles sticking up that looked like it was part of a ramp. I am no person for getting things 100% correct though Tongue

It also looked like it was doing what Marcus first suggested, transporting a passenger but it came down from Consett way as when I saw it on the By-pass as if it was going to Stanley depot it didn't appear to have used the Bus Lane as if it was exiting the bus station.
(11 May 2014, 5:37 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Quite a bang down to earth!
In its previous life, it was was owned by an Independent Girls School down south somewhere.

My school has a refurbished (by Thornton's surprisingly) Ford Transit that we use for transporting students to sports matches or small group field days.
(11 May 2014, 6:16 pm)citaro5284 wrote 1009 is only used for staff transport (including route training) and by the driving school.

Sorry if you think I am having a go. I personally think that I am but next question:

What do you mean by 'Staff Transport'? Do you mean driving drivers from depot to bus station or somewhere where a driver change occurs or driving drivers home (or both)?
(11 May 2014, 6:21 pm)Robert wrote What do you mean by 'Staff Transport'? Do you mean driving drivers from depot to bus station or somewhere where a driver change occurs or driving drivers home (or both)?

Normally driver changeovers are done with vans, 1009 is used for getting drivers home who do not have their own transport (but only on a late shift finishing after midnight), but its main stay is at Percy Main to ferry staff who are finishing at North Shields back to Percy Main who have been on an early start to collect their own transport.
As mentioned 1009 has a number of roles.

Usually it's based at Percy Main to enable it to shuttle Staff between the depot and the office / rest room in North Shields. Plus it's usually used as the Staff bus early in the morning or late at night.

When required, it is used by the driving school to evaluate the drivers in seeing how well they drive a vehicle larger then a car. This was previously done by Ford Transit 168 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...5700098927) which was new to Go North East in 2008 replacing an older Ford Transit minibus (prob have a photo somewhere). However 168 was written off after an accident in 2010(?) and replaced by Sprinter 1009.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(11 May 2014, 8:16 pm)GMitchelhill wrote As mentioned 1009 has a number of roles.

Usually it's based at Percy Main to enable it to shuttle Staff between the depot and the office / rest room in North Shields. Plus it's usually used as the Staff bus early in the morning or late at night.

When required, it is used by the driving school to evaluate the drivers in seeing how well they drive a vehicle larger then a car. This was previously done by Ford Transit 168 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...5700098927) which was new to Go North East in 2008 replacing an older Ford Transit minibus (prob have a photo somewhere). However 168 was written off after an accident in 2010(?) and replaced by Sprinter 1009.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/busmanbuse...D_w_IS_all
(11 May 2014, 6:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote Normally driver changeovers are done with vans, 1009 is used for getting drivers home who do not have their own transport (but only on a late shift finishing after midnight), but its main stay is at Percy Main to ferry staff who are finishing at North Shields back to Percy Main who have been on an early start to collect their own transport.

Thanks. Just couldn't work out why it was going into a housing estate at around lunch time. I suppose Shield Row doesn't have any buses on a Sunday so with the driver coming from Consett I suppose there was no choice but to transport the driver home.
(11 May 2014, 8:27 pm)Robert wrote Thanks. Just couldn't work out why it was going into a housing estate at around lunch time. I suppose Shield Row doesn't have any buses on a Sunday so with the driver coming from Consett I suppose there was no choice but to transport the driver home.

But that also beggars the question; what was it doing in Stanley when it's normally at Percy Main?
Site Administrator
Flood Alleviation Work at Hebburn – Closure of Finchale Road between Monday 16th June and Friday 26th September 2014.
Northumbrian Water will be working at the eastern end of Finchale Road between the junctions of Solway Road and Campbell Park Road in Hebburn, as part of their on-going flood alleviation work in the area.

Between Monday 16th June and Friday 26th September, Services 27 and 88 will be diverted, and a free Shuttle Bus will be provided to link with the displaced services. There will be no timing changes for Services 27 or 88.

Service 27 will be diverted between Mill Lane and the northern section of Campbell Park Road, via Monkton Lane and the southern section of Campbell Park Road, serving temporary stops on the western end of Monkton Lane and all stops on Campbell Park Road.

Service 88 will be diverted between Campbell Park Road and Mill Lane via Monkton Lane, again serving the temporary stops at the western end.

A free Shuttle Bus provided by Northumbrian Water will operate a clockwise loop from Finchale Road (connecting with diverted services at the temporary stops near Monkton Lane junction), then Mill Lane, via Crawley Avenue, Queens' Crescent or Burns Head Road/Johnston Avenue, Toner Avenue and Mountbatten Avenue back to Finchale Road. Full times will be available. The shuttle bus will not pick up or set down between Mill Lane and Solway Road inclusive.

Passengers for the Jarrow and South Shields direction should change to normal buses at the last stop on Finchale Road and walk approximately 10metres to the eastbound temporary stop on Monkton Lane. Passengers for Gateshead should alight at Mill Lane and wait at the same stop for the service bus.

In brief, the times of the shuttle bus from Finchale Road will be:

Mondays to Fridays: 0517, 0543, 0609, 0618, 0637, 0654, 0709, 0721, 0733, 0745, 0755, 0807, 0817, 0827, 0837, 0847, 0903, 0915 then every 10 minutes until 1905, 1917, 1934 then every 20 minutes until 2354, 0004.

Saturdays: 0602, 0614, 0637, 0707, 0727, 0737, 0757, 0814, 0829, 0840, 0853, 0903, 0915, 0925, 0935, 0945, 1008, 1020, 1031, 1041, 1052, 1115 then every 10 minutes until 1745, 1757, 1813, 1829, 1849, 1902, 1917, 1934 then every 20 minutes until 2354, 0004.

Sundays: 0716, 0737, 0747, 0757, 0827, 0847, 0918 then every 20 minutes until 1818, 1828, 1845, 1914, 1924 then every 20 minutes until 0004.

Source: http://www.simplygo.com/news/flood-allev...-16th-june
Any ideas on when 8306-8309/8319 will be Branded, as it's been what 8 Months since the first one was Repainted into Purple, which is quite a long time for a Vehicle to be Unbranded, Unless there been a change of Plan and they'll be Repainted again soon and Utilised elsewhere within the Go North East Fleet e.g. on the 5 instead of the Renowns, then the Cadets could move over to Deptford.

Also chiming in the TTX Allocations which were being discussed Yesterday on the Rare/Odd Workings Thread, Is there any other B9's in Go North East Fleet which have Tachographs other than 6071 e.g. on the Red Arrows which could do a Direct Swap with the B7TL's.

Another thought I had was if any of the Blaydon Races/Crusader Citaros have Tachographs fitted would it not better to use them on the X9/X10 rather than a Solar or a Renown.
Site Administrator
(12 May 2014, 2:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Also chiming in the TTX Allocations which were being discussed Yesterday on the Rare/Odd Workings Thread, Is there any other B9's in Go North East Fleet which have Tachographs other than 6071 e.g. on the Red Arrows which could do a Direct Swap with the B7TL's.

For reference, the vehicles in the fleet which are fitted with tachographs are as follows:
  • Volvo Olympian 3833
  • Dennis Trident 3858
  • Volvo B7TL 3941
  • Volvo B7TL 3942
  • Volvo B7TL 3943
  • Volvo B7TL 3962
  • Volvo B7TL 3963
  • Volvo B7TL 3964
  • Volvo B7TL 3965
  • Volvo B10BLE 4917
  • Volvo B10BLE 4918
  • Volvo B10BLE 4921
  • Scania L94 4941
  • Scania L94 4949
  • Scania L94 4967
  • Scania L94 5227
  • Scania L94 5228
  • Scania OmniCity 5271
  • Mercedes Citaro 5302
  • Mercedes Citaro 5358
  • Wright Streetlite 5369
  • Volvo B9TL 6043
  • Volvo B9TL 6044
  • Volvo B9TL 6045
  • Volvo B9TL 6046
  • Volvo B9TL 6047
  • Volvo B9TL 6048
  • Volvo B9TL 6049
  • Volvo B5LH 6056
  • Volvo B9TL 6071
  • Volvo B9TL 6084
  • Volvo B9TL 6101 (?)
  • Optare Versa 8294

(12 May 2014, 2:46 pm)Tom wrote Do you know what will be used on the shuttle bus?

Not yet, no.
Changes to a number of services.

Prince Bishops 20/20APrince Bishops
There are changes to the times of a small number of journeys to improve the reliability of your Prince Bishops services 20/20A.

Extra journey from Sunderland and Durham in the afternoon peak period.
The route is unchanged, and the service will continue to operate from early until late, seven days a week.

LaserLaser 35/35A/35B/35C
There are changes to the times of your Laser services to improve reliability.

Most journeys will depart Low Moorsley towards South Shields around three minutes earlier and Houghton-le-Spring towards South Shields two minutes earlier.
Some journeys at peak times will be revised by a number of minutes.
There will also be a minor change to the route of service 35A from the same date. From Rainton Bridge towards Houghton-le-Spring, the service will operate via A690 instead of Dairy Lane. Passengers on Dairy Lane will be able to use Connections4, Prince Bishops 20A and Northern 71. Towards Rainton Bridge, the route is unchanged.

SimpliCitySimplicity 42
There are changes to the timetable of your Simplicity service 42 to improve reliability.

The route is unchanged, and the service will continue to operate from early until late, seven days a week.

It looks like the FPP will be ramping up their next protest!
The 35a and 20a run in pairs between Houghton and Rainton Bridge - but not the other way around.
Surely it would have made sense sending the 35a onto the a690 from Houghton (rather than the other way around) and improve the level of service towards Houghton/Sunderland from Rainton Bridge. I have seen big gaps towards Houghton/Sunderland when the 20a is stuck or delayed somewhere.

As a note: the 4 and 71 don't operate along Dairy Lane towards Houghton either... :s
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Go North East - Latest
[Image: 6e7aquta.jpg]

Not the best of pictures, but is it not about time GNE start to think about changing it's interior stickers on Simplicity...When was the last the 36 ran???...12-18 months???