You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
Since North Tyneside seems to be the en-vogue area of discussion, here's a quick service suggestion from me.

39X: Central Station - Market Street - New Bridge Street/Shields Road - Byker - Fossway - Wallsend Metro - Station Road - Coast Road (Non-Stop) - Silverlink - Colbalt
Just a suggestion here, would it be worth extending the short Coasters to Great Park? They would operate as normal to Newcastle, then operate past The Gate to Great Park and Regent Centre.
(12 May 2014, 8:45 pm)Tom wrote Just a suggestion here, would it be worth extending the short Coasters to Great Park? They would operate as normal to Newcastle, then operate past The Gate to Great Park and Regent Centre.

I think there could be scope extending something eastwards towards Killingworth/Four Lane Ends and Cobalt from Great Park too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(12 May 2014, 9:06 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I think there could be scope extending something eastwards towards Killingworth/Four Lane Ends and Cobalt from Great Park too.

There used to be a service 332 operating between Great Park, Regent Centre and Four Lane Ends Metro. And currently, there are the services 554/555 which run between Regent Centre, Four Lane Ends and the Balliol and Quorum Business Parks; and service 335 running between Four Lane Ends and Colbalt. Although there's nothing going to Killingworth, an amalgamation of the services above would provide a link between Great Park and Colbalt via Four Lane Ends.

Perhaps someone should point this out to Nexus.Wink
(13 May 2014, 8:08 am)AdamY wrote There used to be a service 332 operating between Great Park, Regent Centre and Four Lane Ends Metro. And currently, there are the services 554/555 which run between Regent Centre, Four Lane Ends and the Balliol and Quorum Business Parks; and service 335 running between Four Lane Ends and Colbalt. Although there's nothing going to Killingworth, an amalgamation of the services above would provide a link between Great Park and Colbalt via Four Lane Ends.

Perhaps someone should point this out to Nexus.Wink

So the 335 would operate between Great Park and Cobalt? Then this would allow the 554 to be withdrawn? I like the idea.
I think the 335 should also run into North Shields down to the Ferry to replace the 333 too!
(13 May 2014, 1:50 pm)Tom wrote So the 335 would operate between Great Park and Cobalt? Then this would allow the 554 to be withdrawn? I like the idea.
I think the 335 should also run into North Shields down to the Ferry to replace the 333 too!

It could end up like a Malarkey Marathon if it gets extended much more! Big Grin
(13 May 2014, 3:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It could end up like a Malarkey Marathon if it gets extended much more! Big Grin

I like Tom's Idea, Just need to give it an Amphibious Conversation and it could extend across to South Shields to replace the Shields Ferry, and it would Terminate outside of Asda and it would be Perfect Wink
What does everyone think of this?

Cobalt Business Park P&G: 44 14
Silver Fox Way, Cobalt: 46 16
Cobalt Link Road: 48 18
Middle Engine Lane Atmel: 49 19
Bewick Park: 52 22
Hadrian Park: 54 24
Battle Hill Bathgate Close: 59 29
Tyne Met College: 01 31
High Farm: 02 32
Benton ASDA: 07 37
DWP Tyneview Park: 12 42
Four Lane Ends Interchange:15 45
DWP Longbenton: 18 48
South Gosforth Roundabout:22 52
Church Avenue-Chruch Rd: 24 54
Gosforth High Street: 29 59
Regent Centre Interchange: 32 02
Brunton Park: 36 06
Newcastle Great Park Sage: 39 09
Newcastle Great Park: 41 01
(13 May 2014, 4:43 pm)Tom wrote What does everyone think of this?

Cobalt Business Park P&G: 44 14
Silver Fox Way, Cobalt: 46 16
Cobalt Link Road: 48 18
Middle Engine Lane Atmel: 49 19
Bewick Park: 52 22
Hadrian Park: 54 24
Battle Hill Bathgate Close: 59 29
Tyne Met College: 01 31
High Farm: 02 32
Benton ASDA: 07 37
DWP Tyneview Park: 12 42
Four Lane Ends Interchange:15 45
DWP Longbenton: 18 48
South Gosforth Roundabout:22 52
Church Avenue-Chruch Rd: 24 54
Gosforth High Street: 29 59
Regent Centre Interchange: 32 02
Brunton Park: 36 06
Newcastle Great Park Sage: 39 09
Newcastle Great Park: 41 01

if they did that i would ride it
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
X17 – Cramlington – Dudley – Killingworth – Forest Hall – Benton Asda - Redesdale Park - Coast Road - Cradlewell - Newcastle – Interworks with Service 17/17A at Cramlington and also Replaces Service 307 – Every 1 Hour

X18 - Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Holywell - Northumberland Park – Cobalt – Battle Hill Drive - High Farm - Coast Road - Cradlewell - Newcastle - Interworks with Service 17/17A at Cramlington and also Replaces Service 307 – Every 1 Hour

X19 - Ashington - Stakeford - Bedlington - Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Holywell - Northumberland Park - Cobalt - Battle Hill Drive - Coast Road - Cradlewell - Newcastle – Interworks with Cobalt Connect Service 19 at Ashington – Every 30 Minutes

1B - Whitley Bay – Marsden – Tynemouth - North Shields - Hawkey’s Lane - Billy Mill - North Tyneside Hospital - New York - Cobalt - Howdon – Wallsend – Byker – Newcastle – Gateshead (Replaces the North Tyne Links Service 80 and Coaster Service 1 Shorts to Gateshead) – Every 30 Minutes

If Red Kite Services 45/46 were to Recieve New Vehicles in 2014, then Omnicities 5234-5342 along with 5250 – 5253/54 and 5273 would all Transfer to Percy Main to cover the PVR of the above Services, Omnicities 5247 – 5249 and 5274 would also be used as Spares to the above Services, Resulting in a total of 35 Omnicities Operating out of Percy Main.
Service X51 operating every 30 minutes (60 evenings and Sundays between Newbiggin and Newcastle. Buses would call at all stops that the X21 serves upto the Red Lion (Front Street). From there, buses would operate strictly non stop to Newcastle Haymarket Stand N. Would be quicker than X21 and slightly quicker than the X22 from Ashington and Bedlington. In more simple terms, this service would be a happy medium between the X20 and X21 / X22.
GNE should definitely consider upgrading the 309 to every 15 minutes between Whitley Bay and Blyth and also to every 30 minutes during the evenings as for the 310 too. Several people have been complaining about the 308 and people have even said that the only reason they get the 308 is because it operates every 15 minutes as opposed to 309. The better buses and better seating on the 309 would make a better option available and it would provide a cheap way to get to and back from Newcastle for people who live in Blyth with only the X10, X11 and X13 providing truly fast journey times between Blyth and Newcastle. Even people in Seaton Sluice would use the service more with an enhanced frequency. Also, if people fancied a spot of retail therapy, they would only have to purchase a two zone buzzfare with an easy connection onto the fast TEN service at Eldon Square.

With the exception of a few morning peak journeys to Newcastle where it wouldn't make a major difference if passengers alighted at St Mary's Place, the journey times are only 2 minutes or so slower than the 308 with all the extra comforts to go with the 309 and better reliability. Good PR and marketing such as posting leaflets through the door would really boost the service and my two suggestions above.
Site Administrator
I liked how Tom 'plugged' GNE's 309 service on a customer complaint about ANE's 308 service on ANE's Facebook page yesterday... Made me laugh. Tongue
(17 May 2014, 9:55 am)Dan wrote I liked how Tom 'plugged' GNE's 309 service on a customer complaint about ANE's 308 service on ANE's Facebook page yesterday... Made me laugh. Tongue

I was heading into Newcastle yesterday and I seen the 1608 service getting to St Mary's at 1623. Now don't get me wrong, it gets held up by the schools but even GNE run an additional service terminating in Battle Hill to cope with the school loadings at peak times. And when things do go wrong on the 309 and 310, you can contact local people who know about the service and the driver has their trusty Tait handset positioned next to the CCTV screen in the cab. Here's a slogan GNE could use:

"In your opinion, Arriva may go 50mph and go faster down the 'Motorway' and we may take a slightly longer detour around Battle Hill and Cobalt Park. But we aren't that much slower and we always aim to run on time. And when things go wrong, we have local friendly people with local knowledge at hand to take your call and our drivers have direct contact with our live local control room."
(17 May 2014, 10:10 am)DaveyBowyer wrote I was heading into Newcastle yesterday and I seen the 1608 service getting to St Mary's at 1623. Now don't get me wrong, it gets held up by the schools but even GNE run an additional service terminating in Battle Hill to cope with the school loadings at peak times. And when things do go wrong on the 309 and 310, you can contact local people who know about the service and the driver has their trusty Tait handset positioned next to the CCTV screen in the cab. Here's a slogan GNE could use:

"In your opinion, Arriva may go 50mph and go faster down the 'Motorway' and we may take a slightly longer detour around Battle Hill and Cobalt Park. But we aren't that much slower and we always aim to run on time. And when things go wrong, we have local friendly people with local knowledge at hand to take your call and our drivers have direct contact with our live local control room."

Anything snappier? Wink
(17 May 2014, 11:20 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Anything snappier? Wink

The quicker 308 may be the 'hare' - but our 309 is the tortoise which will always get you there!!

I accept cash or cheques made payable to....
Site Administrator
(17 May 2014, 12:20 pm)AdamY wrote The quicker 308 may be the 'hare' - but our 309 is the tortoise which will always get you there!!

Love it!! Big Grin
(17 May 2014, 12:20 pm)AdamY wrote The quicker 308 may be the 'hare' - but our 309 is the tortoise which will always get you there!!

The cheque book is staying firmly shut!
Is that the best you can do like?

The 308 is always late - but the 309 gets you there on time!
(17 May 2014, 12:44 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote The cheque book is staying firmly shut!
Is that the best you can do like?

The 308 is always late - but the 309 gets you there on time!

From Crawcrook to Sunderland through every estate,
An adventure awaits on our great 638.
(17 May 2014, 12:59 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote "Go Silver, Go Smart with our Cobalt Clipper from Go North East."

There's some potential with that one!

(17 May 2014, 1:27 pm)AdamY wrote From Crawcrook to Sunderland through every estate,
An adventure awaits on our great 638.

Champion, now we just need a bus to match the strapline!
If GNE didn't order the B5's for the angel, they could even use this:

- Green is just mean, but silver means business. Don't let them slow green buses drag you around. Get on board our powerful and comfortable Cobalt Clipper double deckers with free wi-fi, power sockets, infomation screens, next stop announcements and driven by powerful engines as used on our long and demanding TEN and Tyne Tees Express Services for peace of mind and reliability.
(15 May 2014, 7:14 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Service X51 operating every 30 minutes (60 evenings and Sundays between Newbiggin and Newcastle. Buses would call at all stops that the X21 serves upto the Red Lion (Front Street). From there, buses would operate strictly non stop to Newcastle Haymarket Stand N. Would be quicker than X21 and slightly quicker than the X22 from Ashington and Bedlington. In more simple terms, this service would be a happy medium between the X20 and X21 / X22.

.zip X51.zip

Above is the timetable to this. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S NOT OFFICIAL AND DOESN'T REFLECT UPON GO NORTH EAST
(17 May 2014, 4:27 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Above is the timetable to this. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT'S NOT OFFICIAL AND DOESN'T REFLECT UPON GO NORTH EAST
Would it be better instead of sending it through wansbeck hospital, sending it through North Seaton village instead just to get more custom from Arriva?
(17 May 2014, 4:38 pm)mb134 wrote Would it be better instead of sending it through wansbeck hospital, sending it through North Seaton village instead?

You could do but what impact would that have on the journey time?

UPDATE: Just looked up the timetable and it would be quicker operating via Wansbeck Hospital. What could be done contrary to the fleet numbers quoted at the bottom of each round trip is have 10 Mercs operating and introduce a half hourly (hourly evenings and Sundays) X52 operating the way that the old X32 did instead of all journeys operating via Wansbeck hospital. That would give a combined 15 minute frequency between Newbiggin and Newcastle.
(17 May 2014, 4:46 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote You could do but what impact would that have on the journey time?

UPDATE: Just looked up the timetable and it would be quicker operating via Wansbeck Hospital. What could be done contrary to the fleet numbers quoted at the bottom of each round trip is have 10 Mercs operating and introduce a half hourly (hourly evenings and Sundays) X52 operating the way that the old X32 did instead of all journeys operating via Wansbeck hospital. That would give a combined 15 minute frequency between Newbiggin and Newcastle.
So would you have some operating through Guide Post and North Seaton, while others would operate through Bedlington Station and Wansbeck hospital?
Ok then, but what about an extra 15 minutes lie in:

- X21 leaving Newbiggin at 07:11 and getting into Haymarket at 08:38 (1hr 28 minutes) or

- X51 leaving Newbiggin at 07:25 and getting into Haymarket at 08:40 (1hr 15 minutes)
(17 May 2014, 4:58 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Ok then, but what about an extra 15 minutes lie in:

- X21 leaving Newbiggin at 07:11 and getting into Haymarket at 08:38 (1hr 28 minutes) or

- X51 leaving Newbiggin at 07:25 and getting into Haymarket at 08:40 (1hr 15 minutes)
It sounds, in theory great, just worry that arriva would do something like they did when GNE introduced the X41 was it??? a few years ago with the coaches and arriva introduced the red "northumbria express" scanias just after running minutes ahead getting most of the custom...
(17 May 2014, 4:55 pm)mb134 wrote So would you have some operating through Guide Post and North Seaton, while others would operate through Bedlington Station and Wansbeck hospital?

No, if an X52 was added, it would operate via the X51 route between Ashington and Newcastle via Stakeford and Bedlington Station. You can't really combine if going via Wansbeck Est and Guide Post. Just look at this from the X21 and X22

Ashington: 00, 07, 20, 27, 40, 47 (up to13 minute gap) THEN:
Bedlington: 00, 05, 20, 25, 40, 45 (up to 15 minute gap and if anything happens to the X22 due at 00, 20, 40, then the X21 is screwed due to the longer route via Nedderton.

The old X31 and X32 used to truly combine every 15 minutes via Stakeford and Bedlington Station. And yes before anyone calls me a hypocrite, the 310 runs 6 minutes behind the 309 between Cobalt South and Battle Hill Drive because of it going via High Farm and an extra minute for the 309 between Battle Hill and Station Road wouldn't hurt it too badly. But wherever possible, services should combine like this:

- Every 5 minutes meaning no less than 4 or no more than 6

- Every 7 minutes meaning no less than 7 or no more than 8

- Every 10 minutes meaning no less than 8 or no more than 12

- Every 15 minutes meaning no less than 10 or no more than 20

- Every 30 minutes meaning no less than 20 and no more than 10
(17 May 2014, 5:04 pm)mb134 wrote It sounds, in theory great, just worry that arriva would do something like they did when GNE introduced the X41 was it??? a few years ago with the coaches and arriva introduced the red "northumbria express" scanias just after running minutes ahead getting most of the custom...

You're joking? What about when GNE introduced the Tynedale Express. Have they introduced anything running infront of them? And the X51 would have less breakdowns and be more reliable with a more suitable vehicle type being used pending upon the Red Arrows getting an upgrade with high back seats, powerful engines and free wi-fi and if it took off, they could retrofit power sockets too. That would only leave leather seats missing but as discussed about the 05 Onmicities, they look cheap and tatty after a few years. Aw, and what have Arriva got to the Metrocentre? Yes, they have the X1 and X2 to Middesborough but that would be very mundane compared to the TTX and what about Durham? What about 4 buses per hour (8 to Chester Le Street plus two express buses per hour? What have they got to Gateshead? Hardly anything.

Unless people are travelling to Newbiggin for a day out at the Coast, Ashington and Bedlington are suburbs where people want to get into the City (Newcastle) and also be able to connect with most places not including Quorum.

Newcastle is the heart of the economy. The TTX gets an average load going towards Middlesborough but towards Newcastle and both ways at Peak Times. What would you choose excluding the train if you had the choice between a bus every 10 minutes that takes 2 hours or a bus that operates every 30 minutes but takes no longer than 1hr 40 minutes?