Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2013

RE: Go North East
That Centurion livery is shocking. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be 'lazy'.

To not bother repainting or even touching the paintwork up and to then cobble together a livery like that, makes me wonder why they have bothered with it at all.
To refer to comments on the branding part of the website, it makes me wonder what the point was in launching this livery.
Weren't we expecting the livery to be quite basic though, considering rumours were circulating that these vehicles are on their way out in the next year or two?
(10 May 2013, 6:16 pm)Adam wrote Weren't we expecting the livery to be quite basic though, considering rumours were circulating that these vehicles are on their way out in the next year or two?

They may as well have just left them plain yellow.
(10 May 2013, 6:51 pm)Rob wrote
(10 May 2013, 6:16 pm)Adam wrote Weren't we expecting the livery to be quite basic though, considering rumours were circulating that these vehicles are on their way out in the next year or two?
Someone with a little sense.

I fully appreciate that the design is not to everyone's taste, but you cannot expect large sums to be spent on what is essentially a temporary brand. The branding has been designed to almost obscure the previous Blaydon Racers branding. This can be seen with the large blue blocks along the lower and upper sections of the vehicle.

Even so, it would have been best to just not have bothered at all. Fairly embarrassing on GNE's part I'd say.
Its a temp branding like rob said to cover the blaydon racers, so for me it does the jib, it has the route and what branding it falls under and am sure it will be better on the different buses that replace these B10's
(10 May 2013, 7:38 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Even so, it would have been best to just not have bothered at all. Fairly embarrassing on GNE's part I'd say.

I'd have to agree, but I guess they had to do something, rather than having buses running round looking tacky. I would have thought it'd make more sense to just paint it with a base coat - maybe red? and leave it decal free. Saves a job when they come to sell them off in a year or so.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(10 May 2013, 7:44 pm)Liam wrote Festival North East branded 3964 (NK06 JXC) is undertaking a tour of all Go North East depots between now and June. It is presently based at Winlaton, so expect to see it on TEN and Toon Link routes.

If anyone sees her out and about, feel free to share Smile

That's interesting. weren't GNE supposed to do the same with the "Poppy Bus" as I don't recall seeing it on the M1/2A/2C etc, furthest i've seen it away from Gateshead is either on the X9/X10 to Middlesbrough or on the 939 in Washington, when GNE operated the 939.
(10 May 2013, 7:44 pm)Liam wrote Festival North East branded 3964 (NK06 JXC) is undertaking a tour of all Go North East depots between now and June. It is presently based at Winlaton, so expect to see it on TEN and Toon Link routes.

If anyone sees her out and about, feel free to share Smile

Cheers for that. Going to head up that way in the morning so I'll have a look out for it.
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
I'm trying to figure out the Sunday daytime interworking pattern of services in Sunderland from 2 June, so bear with me! Tongue

The Drifter 60/61 currently interwork at Sunderland to provide a 10 minute combined service as far as New Seaham (every 20 minutes on each route). With the 61 dropping to every 30 minutes, it won't be able to interwork with the 60 anymore.

The times of Sunday 42's have changed too and are dropping from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. The pattern of service is similar to the evening time with the 42 splitting at Park Lane. This splitting compliments the times of the 60, so it appears that Sunday daytime 42's and 60's will interwork.

42's arrive at Park Lane at 59/19/39 - 60's leave Park Lane at 07/27/47.
60's arrive at Park Lane at 33/53/13 - 42's leave Park Lane at 37/57/17.

I've been trying to figure out what is happening with the 61. The Sunday daytime service takes slightly longer to complete than the evening pattern of service which can be completed just inside of an hour. The Sunday daytime service takes a round trip of 66 minutes. I can't believe that buses would have a 24 minute wait at Sunderland between runs.

I've been checking all the other routes that serve Sunderland to see if there is a possibility of interworking with 61. The 20, 35's and the 56 will continue to operate every 20 minutes, and the 39 will continue to operate across Sunderland in both directions between Pennywell and Doxford Park. This leaves the 2A/2C. The existing timetable for 2A/2C has buses arriving at Park Lane at 21/51 and leaving at 25/55. The new timetable differs - buses arrive at 26/56 and leave at 20/50.

If 61's arrive at 06/36, they could go onto 2A/2C's at 20/50. This would give drivers enough time to drop off passengers on the arrival stand at Park Lane, then drive empty around to the "main side" and have a small layover period before commencing 2A/2C's. Returning 2A/2C's arriving into Park Lane at 26/56 could go onto 61's at 00/30. Possibility of Silver Arrow Citaros to Murton? The complete banishing of SimpliCity branded vehicles on a Sunday? (if Drifter Versas are used on 42/60, and 26A uses the Northern Versas). Does it also mean that 2A/2C's will drop passengers off at the "Drifter side" of Park Lane because the layover time would only be four minutes? Should be brilliant from an enthusiasts view! Big Grin
Site Administrator
...but from a passenger point of view, I'm not too keen on it!

I didn't agree with the 38 using "Drifter" branded Cadets. The 38 was (and still is) an unbranded service; therefore, only "Northern" branded vehicles should have been used. Owing to it interworking with the 61, "Drifter" branded vehicles were used. I fired off an e-mail to Go North East saying it was illogical for this to happen, and if it's going to happen again, I'll be sure to send another angry e-mail off.
If timetable changes occur, branded vehicles should stay on branded routes. Many people on this forum alone are forever complaining about branded vehicles being used on branded routes incorrectly.

I've never been keen on the 26A using "SimpliCity" branded Versas. I can understand why they do it, but I disagree with it being done.

At the end of the day, if a timetable is to change, it should be a top priority to ensure that long waiting times at either end can be avoided, and the need to interwork with a different branded service is not essential.
Branded vehicles working other routes has happened as long as GNE introduced branded vehicles.

For example, the 34 used to have Washington Street Shuttle vehicles from the M3 on an evening and Sunday for a long time, as the arrival/departure times coincided at Chester. Now it appears the Waggonway works the 34 and the Lambton Worm vehicles are kept indoors.
(11 May 2013, 7:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote Branded vehicles working other routes has happened as long as GNE introduced branded vehicles.

For example, the 34 used to have Washington Street Shuttle vehicles from the M3 on an evening and Sunday for a long time, as the arrival/departure times coincided at Chester. Now it appears the Waggonway works the 34 and the Lambton Worm vehicles are kept indoors.

GNE also, not sure whether they still do on a Sunday operate the 8 Between Washington Galleries and Chester le Street using Washington Street Shuttle MPD's. Rarely out on a Sunday so I don't if they still operate this service or not.
(11 May 2013, 7:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote Branded vehicles working other routes has happened as long as GNE introduced branded vehicles.

M3/34 used to interwork as far as I know. I'm going back a couple of years there though.
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
I think wrongly-branded buses appearing on the wrong routes is bound to be inevitable during the evenings and on Sundays though. When the Silver Arrows were first introduced, they'd interwork at Washington with short M2's / M3's to/from Heworth (through-fares even used to be available!)

Apart from the Northern SPD's, there's not too many non-branded single deck vehicles. Evening/Sunday services are often quicker in journey times and less frequent, which makes interworking with other services more attractive to achieve maximum operational efficiency. It's not going to be practical to have buses laying over at bus stations for 20 minutes at a time just to keep branded buses on their correct route. Using Northern vehicles on 2A/2C/61 could be a possibility, but there's the constraint of not being able to use deckers on 2A/2C, and I don't think passengers on 2A/2C would be appreciative of Northern SPD's appearing every evening/Sunday in the interim until their withdrawal.

Back to the 61; although the PVR is five which qualifies for branding, this is a route I'd much prefer to see become Northern rather than continue being the poor relation to the 60, which has twice seen new buses purchased - Optare Versas in 2009 and the upcoming Streetlite order.
(11 May 2013, 8:03 pm)Brandon wrote I think wrongly-branded buses appearing on the wrong routes is bound to be inevitable during the evenings and on Sundays though. When the Silver Arrows were first introduced, they'd interwork at Washington with short M2's / M3's to/from Heworth (through-fares even used to be available!)

Apart from the Northern SPD's, there's not too many non-branded single deck vehicles. Evening/Sunday services are often quicker in journey times and less frequent, which makes interworking with other services more attractive to achieve maximum operational efficiency. It's not going to be practical to have buses laying over at bus stations for 20 minutes at a time just to keep branded buses on their correct route. Using Northern vehicles on 2A/2C/61 could be a possibility, but there's the constraint of not being able to use deckers on 2A/2C, and I don't think passengers on 2A/2C would be appreciative of Northern SPD's appearing every evening/Sunday in the interim until their withdrawal.

Back to the 61; although the PVR is five which qualifies for branding, this is a route I'd much prefer to see become Northern rather than continue being the poor relation to the 60, which has twice seen new buses purchased - Optare Versas in 2009 and the upcoming Streetlite order.

The last few posts refer to use of branded buses used on other routes etc... I believe GNE are either lazy in strictly managing a branded strategy, or the depot manager have either too much autonomy, Have no regard to the importance of managing effective branded strategy or just simply lazy, and don't understand how branded buses on incorrect routes can be confusing to visitors to our region & the elderly.
I would agree with comments on a much better "Northern" generic branding for the majority of the fleet (expressed earlier as reflecting Lothian Buses style with Sub Branding on a FEW key routes, and only a more dramatic departure from the corporate brand on an even more restricted basis for Major strongly identifiable route e.g. Angel (but with stronger link to Northern Brand ... Maybe split in branding gradually taking place from Lower deck to Upper deck - again refer to Lothian with top deck branding in a seperate route colour. "Childish" images with no heritage should be now considered"past sell by date" (which would see end of a vast majority of brands.... Fab 57 / 56, East Durham, Diamond, Drifter, Lambton Worm, Pulse, Pronto, Highwayman, Toon Link, Whey Aye 50, South Tyne, Crusager, Centurion, Pulse, Simplicity...... etc...etc....
Venture could continue as a heritage brand as OK, but would need a thorough makeover and stronger branding with Yellow,Maroon & Cream as per original, (but similar style to improved "Northern", which could introduce the Cream and Gold style of original brand) and may be expanded as a "short haul" brand feeding into "Northern" routes via the main bus stations throughout the region.
The opportunities are endless.... but the time is right to improve the image and trade on a quality corporate Northern established brand with "values"!
Long Distance routes could be Green & Cream promoting proper express services with a quality theme and limited stops to achieve faster more efficient journeys. - What about ( as an example) a Tees -> Newcastle Airport Express, Direct from Middlesbrough, Stockton then Non Stop to the Airport?!
...But maybe we can move on from getting excited about Drifter on Lime, and Quayside Verso on Crusader etc... This is just incompetence on the part of GNE!

Alternatively... A much improved and larger Nexus/LA7 Transport Authority can takeover GNE, Arriva, Stagecoach and other operators from Berwick to Teeside and with an effective Marketing and Branded strategy operate services in the interest of passengers and the public rather than private profit/shareholders as present! - It would NOT be current "Battleship" grey with Red as current Nexus Livery..... ! A new region Wide Integrated Transport Authority would certainly ensure an effective brand to maximise use via better networking, transferrable ticketing across the whole region.... etc.....

Link to Lothian Buses images: (note corporate image with stand alone services eg Zoo & Airport still are identifiable as part of Lothian corporate brand but ... CREATIVELY Differentiate the Sub Brand as a quality service meeting a consumer demand (service):

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lothian+buses+volvo&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=v62OUbiOJYOh0QWA5YCoDA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=710
Yes, the M3 and 34 used to interwork at Chester.

The whole point of branding, is to encourage brand loyalty.
Except by structuring the timetables the way they do on an evening and Sunday, GNE are basically stating that brand loyalty doesnt matter outside peak times and by integrating and connecting services which would otherwise be un-connected, they are demonstrating this up and down the region.

However, the other choice they have, is to have buses sitting around laying over for a significant period of time (perfect excuse to increase fares - again) or to axe services.

It is the choice they have to make as a result of painting & branding anything that stops in the depot too long.
If core services were branded and nothing else, this issue wouldnt occur.
I pity the group of drivers sitting in the corner playing cards! Goodness knows what colour or garish vinyls they will end up decorated in!

Edit: As a side note, has anyone else noticed that particularly on an evening, Washington and Chester specifically are running a skeleton staff? Saltmeadows and Arriva run everything local in Washington and (I may have slipped up) only the X1 runs into the night from Washington.
Chester is in a similar position, with only a couple of routes working late.
Stanley, Deptford and Sunderland Road run a few more routes. Not sure about Winlaton, but guessing there are a few services out of there late on.
Edit: As a side note, has anyone else noticed that particularly on an evening, Washington and Chester specifically are running a skeleton staff? Saltmeadows and Arriva run everything local in Washington and (I may have slipped up) only the X1 runs into the night from Washington.
Chester is in a similar position, with only a couple of routes working late.
Stanley, Deptford and Sunderland Road run a few more routes. Not sure about Winlaton, but guessing there are a few services out of there late on.
[/quote]

Yes I've noticed.

Arriva operate the M2/M3 during the Evenings Mon-Sun between Concord and Birtley, whereas GNE operate between Concord and Heworth - Arriva/GNE Interwork the Service on a night and Saltmeadows operate the W5/W6 using Nexus Branded Solo SR's, Basically it's down to running costs and the Fact Nexus own the Contracts for these services on a Night etc.

As for the X1 that runs late on as some people may work until late, and also you have the clubbers aswell. I've never understood why there was never an NX1, Although the N56 goes through Washington Galleries on a Night, it's the same with the M1 from Heworth/Houghton, it would save passengers £15-£20 on Taxis Home
Many a time in the not too distant past, I joined the mad dash from the metro at Heworth up the stairs and onto the last 194 (which was timed to leave seconds after the metro departed).

Even though it didnt go any further South than Newbottle, it was always busy on a weekend (along the entire route), not so much during the week - mainly as you say, because it saved people money.
It was the same with the X1, but GNE have stopped the late bus from Newcastle too - which I firmly believe had more to do with staffing levels (possibly driving hours) and the urge to reduce costs seen in the minimal staffing levels on a night from Washington depot.
Without looking at the bigger picture and like the 194, passenger numbers on the late X1 (particularly on a weekend) were high enough to justify the service.

However high passenger numbers were and ticket prices are, if you look at revenue breakdown, this will be low - the amount of passengers using some sort of day ticket was high and if that day ticket has been used a number of times over the day, then the revenue value of each passenger is diminished, particularly over longer journeys. Add that to an empty bus coming from Easington Lane towards Newcastle and it is possible to see why it was axed.
I work in Stanley and sometimes I have to work on Sundays finishing anytime between three and six o'clock in the evening. One thing I notice whilst driving past Stanley depot at this time is that is looks like its closed. The front shutters are down, the car-park is mostly empty, and there are no signs of life anywhere to be seen. It always strikes me as strange as I know there are buses running around the Derwentside area which are operated from Stanley depot, but for anyone driving past the depot in the evening, you wouldn't think it.

Winlaton, in contrast, always looks like it's open. I used to live in Winlaton (behind the depot - more or less) and I can't recall ever seeing the shutters down, even in the early hours of the morning.

How do Washington and Chester look?
CatsFast101
Unregistered
Does the 60 interwork with anything during evenings currently? I know the 61 runs separately during the evening, and everytime I've seen a 60 on a evening it's always a Drifter Versa.
stanley depot has 2 other doors all buses enter via the rear door, buses are parked up against the front door, hence the reason the front door is down from the last late shift leaving the depot. as for the drivers cars they'll be nearer the back of the depot as they start before the early shift leaves and tbh there isn't a great deal of routes running on a sunday.
(11 May 2013, 8:47 pm)Venturego wrote "Childish" images with no heritage should be now considered"past sell by date" (which would see end of a vast majority of brands.... Fab 57 / 56, East Durham, Diamond, Drifter, Lambton Worm, Pulse, Pronto, Highwayman, Toon Link, Whey Aye 50, South Tyne, Crusager, Centurion, Pulse, Simplicity...... etc...etc....

The 'Crusader' does have heritage? It's a tribute to the Jarrow Crusade. Although, I think you are right in saying that branding is a bit overdone nowadays.
(12 May 2013, 7:40 am)Andreos1 wrote Many a time in the not too distant past, I joined the mad dash from the metro at Heworth up the stairs and onto the last 194 (which was timed to leave seconds after the metro departed).

Even though it didnt go any further South than Newbottle, it was always busy on a weekend (along the entire route), not so much during the week - mainly as you say, because it saved people money.
It was the same with the X1, but GNE have stopped the late bus from Newcastle too - which I firmly believe had more to do with staffing levels (possibly driving hours) and the urge to reduce costs seen in the minimal staffing levels on a night from Washington depot.
Without looking at the bigger picture and like the 194, passenger numbers on the late X1 (particularly on a weekend) were high enough to justify the service.

However high passenger numbers were and ticket prices are, if you look at revenue breakdown, this will be low - the amount of passengers using some sort of day ticket was high and if that day ticket has been used a number of times over the day, then the revenue value of each passenger is diminished, particularly over longer journeys. Add that to an empty bus coming from Easington Lane towards Newcastle and it is possible to see why it was axed.

The costing will be very low, when i've seen/or been on the Arriva M2/M3 or Nexus W5/W6 there has been i'd say no than 4 or 5 passengers on each journey in the evening. The good thing is regarding Arriva you can use a GNE Purple Day Pass for example on the service, so that passengers don't have pay extra fare.

As for other depots such as Washington/Chester le Street

During the week Mon-Sat there is always someone dotting about, but on a Sunday it's the complete opposite, at Washington they don't close the shutters as there is simply too many buses in the depot and is rather overcrowed, there has been times when i've went past Washington Depot there has been buses parked on the main road outside the Depot, they seriously need a bigger depot.

What Happened with a Depot Share between Washington/Chester le Street
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
Going back to a previous post about SimpliCity Versas appearing on the N56, this could be a regular working. Versa 8323 was on last night, ticket seen on today's 26A.

[attachment=4429]
Site Administrator
The text on the bottom is a little ironic, given that you can't buy returns on Night Buses... Rolleyes

EDIT: Go North East's website also states that the single fare between Newcastle and Washington is £3.50, not £4.00 - hmm... Undecided
There was supposed to be a depot built on Drum Ind Est for Chester and Stanley, not sure if Washington were ever involved.

The building apparently built for the depot, is standing empty and has been for quite a few years now.