You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(08 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm)Dan wrote Odd. I have managed to use the WiFi on the Angel fine the majority of the time - faced more problems recently than before, I must admit.

Was glad that the WiFi on the Red Arrows was working on every vehicle when I was at Houghton last week. Given that my Internet wasn't working, having a WiFi source available was brilliant.

Cobalts and Citylinks work fine for me. - Angels didn't work the other week though.
Whenever I have tried to access WiFi on GNE buses it never seems to work and the drivers claim 'no knowledge'.

I have caught exterior WiFi from premises 'in the street' yet failed to find the onboard signal.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(08 Jun 2014, 5:15 pm)Tom wrote Cobalts and Citylinks work fine for me. - Angels didn't work the other week though.

I've had no luck with Citylinks or Connections4, but all the rest have been fine.

Couldn't connect to any of the Fab56s at SoL the other day - they all used to connect fine too.

The Percy Main red B9 that was there worked a charm though.
(08 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm)Dan wrote Which vehicles were the offenders yesterday then? Tongue

I was soaked through, so carrying out an audit of WiFi for GNE was the last thing on my mind Wink There was a Hybrid angel and 3965. There was then two Red Arrows B9s. All doing the same thing though. Connecting but not pushing the login page out. Same crack on both my Xperia and iPhone.

I was on a Citylink Versa that worked on both though. Smile
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Do all GNE buses with WiFi operate on the same 'frequency' - or is each a discrete entity?

If you get a collection of buses parked together (such as an event at the SoL - or maybe at a terminus) would the signals interfere with each other?
(08 Jun 2014, 5:09 pm)Marcus wrote Everytime I've tried to use Wi-Fi on 6056-6070 - none of them have worked. I mean - that's assuming you don't need a password to access it.....

Aye, the angel buses seem to have been having problems the last handful of times I've used them.
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 5:53 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=901&page=2

Almost 5 months since the same issues were discussed there ^ Rolleyes and arguably nowt has changed.

But things have changed?

No longer working on the Fab56, but it is working on the Citylink judging by recent posts.

Proves people are working on it...
(08 Jun 2014, 5:56 pm)aureolin wrote Aye, the angel buses seem to have been having problems the last handful of times I've used them.

The ones that have worked the best for me are the Tynedalexpress or the Cobalt B9's.
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 5:56 pm)G-CPTN wrote Do all GNE buses with WiFi operate on the same 'frequency' - or is each a discrete entity?

If you get a collection of buses parked together (such as an event at the SoL - or maybe at a terminus) would the signals interfere with each other?

I hadn't thought that multiple sources of the same Wi-Fi could have affected it, but looking back, perhaps you are right.

The red Volvo B9 wasn't near any other buses when I connected to it.
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm)Tom wrote The ones that have worked the best for me are the Tynedalexpress or the Cobalt B9's.

Yes, other than being a bit slow, never had any issues with the Tynedalexpress as far as I can remember.

Haven't used the Cobalt B9s enough to have a fair opinion, but they have worked every time again as far as I can remember.
(08 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote But things have changed?

No longer working on the Fab56, but it is working on the Citylink judging by recent posts.

Aye there's no doubt it's being worked on. Citylink, Connections 4 and Fab56 were my problematic ones in the past. They all tend to work now, but it's the ones that were working previously that now aren't - Red Arrows and Angel.

Can imagine it's a bit tricky to setup alarms for remote equipment relying on mobile data, rather than a static connection. I expect a lot of it comes down to people reporting issues when they face them, but then again, I don't have a lot of confidence that my messages are even being passed on by Customer Services. Half the time I don't get a response.
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm)aureolin wrote Aye there's no doubt it's being worked on. Citylink, Connections 4 and Fab56 were my problematic ones in the past. They all tend to work now, but it's the ones that were working previously that now aren't - Red Arrows and Angel.

Can imagine it's a bit tricky to setup alarms for remote equipment relying on mobile data, rather than a static connection. I expect a lot of it comes down to people reporting issues when they face them, but then again, I don't have a lot of confidence that my messages are even being passed on by Customer Services. Half the time I don't get a response.

I'm sure posting the fleet numbers on here will help to ensure things are passed on, knowing how many 'GNE insiders' we've got (whether they're silent watchers or active contributors). ;-)

Acky, you seen 8306 lately? How's the desty doing?
(08 Jun 2014, 6:06 pm)Dan wrote I'm sure posting the fleet numbers on here will help to ensure things are passed on, knowing how many 'GNE insiders' we've got (whether they're silent watchers or active contributors). ;-)

I'll start doing so, but I tend to just tweet them, in hope more than just customer services look at the tweets.
Once stood in Durham Bus Station and tried to connect to the WiFi on 3 different Angel hybrids and failed to connect on all three. Worked when I was on one the other week though.

Also had issues with WiFi on Red Arrows and TTX.

Sometimes WiFi on buses will work one minute and won't work the next, example on Arriva Sapphire Service 7 the WiFi has worked on a morning but I've tried to connect on the journey home in the afternoon on the same bus and it won't work.
(08 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote But things have changed?

Yes, things have changed. As you point out - vehicles which didn't have a connection, do now whilst the opposite has happened on other vehicles.

Is it completely fixed?
Do GNE have their full complement of WiFi transmitters working?

No idea who or what is at fault, but nobody can deny it has been dragging on for far too long.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Yes, things have changed. As you point out - vehicles which didn't have a connection, do now whilst the opposite has happened on other vehicles.

Is it completely fixed?
Do GNE have their full complement of WiFi transmitters working?

No idea who or what is at fault, but nobody can deny it has been dragging on for far too long.

At least you're admitting things have changed now! Wink

No, it's not completely fixed. However, no other bus operator in the North East could say that all of their Wi-Fi enabled vehicles all work either.

I'd suggest Icomera are at fault, given the same issue is replicated by Arriva and Stagecoach too. I'd also suggest that this company was one of the aforementioned 'parties' in the post you linked to earlier, of whom are still no doubt in contact with Go North East trying to fix the issues.
(08 Jun 2014, 6:57 pm)Dan wrote At least you're admitting things have changed now! Wink

No, it's not completely fixed. However, no other bus operator in the North East could say that all of their Wi-Fi enabled vehicles all work either.

I'd suggest Icomera are at fault, given the same issue is replicated by Arriva and Stagecoach too. I'd also suggest that this company was one of the aforementioned 'parties' in the post you linked to earlier, of whom are still no doubt in contact with Go North East trying to fix the issues.

I probably should have been clearer when I mentioned 'change' in the first post - in the context, that nowt has changed in regards to a patchy network, that doesn't meet all of the advertised blurb.

It has changed, in the context the problems seem to have moved from one batch of vehicles to another.

If it is a third party who are at fault, hopefully GNE and the other operators will look at the fine print in the terms & conditions.

http://www.icomera.com/solutions/east-coast-uk/ The firm mentioned by Dan, are also responsible for managing East Coast Trains WiFi.
A quick look on the East Coast twitter feed, paints the picture.
Having used it both in First Class and Standard, there is a massive difference in quality. No idea how or why.
(08 Jun 2014, 7:05 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I probably should have been clearer when I mentioned 'change' in the first post - in the context, that nowt has changed in regards to a patchy network, that doesn't meet all of the advertised blurb.

It has changed, in the context the problems seem to have moved from one batch of vehicles to another.

If it is a third party who are at fault, hopefully GNE and the other operators will look at the fine print in the terms & conditions.

http://www.icomera.com/solutions/east-coast-uk/ The firm mentioned by Dan, are also responsible for managing East Coast Trains WiFi.
A quick look on the East Coast twitter feed, paints the picture.
Having used it both in First Class and Standard, there is a massive difference in quality. No idea how or why.

With regards to the difference in each class. I've noticed this too, and I put it down to the access points in the 1st class coaches having a higher priority for traffic through the gateway. I'd imagine it's one gateway per train, rather than one per access point??

It's a bit worrying that there's nothing in the conditions of carriage with regards to WiFi, especially when they're now marketing services with that as a key feature. If someone purchased an angel saver with the aim to turn 2 hours worth of commuting each day into productive time, i.e. working over VPN, then there'd be potential for a loss of earnings claim.

On a more positive note, it's worth adding praise that GNE have now added a formal policy to support breast feeding. I wish more companies would do the same.
(08 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote With regards to the difference in each class. I've noticed this too, and I put it down to the access points in the 1st class coaches having a higher priority for traffic through the gateway. I'd imagine it's one gateway per train, rather than one per access point??

It's a bit worrying that there's nothing in the conditions of carriage with regards to WiFi, especially when they're now marketing services with that as a key feature. If someone purchased an angel saver with the aim to turn 2 hours worth of commuting each day into productive time, i.e. working over VPN, then there'd be potential for a loss of earnings claim.

On a more positive note, it's worth adding praise that GNE have now added a formal policy to support breast feeding. I wish more companies would do the same.

I agree with the more productive side of things. One time on the 884 we had 6070 (I think) and a kid needed to get a fact off the internet for his homework - and when he asked the driver he said it 'only worked when it was doing the 21'.
(08 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin wrote With regards to the difference in each class. I've noticed this too, and I put it down to the access points in the 1st class coaches having a higher priority for traffic through the gateway. I'd imagine it's one gateway per train, rather than one per access point??

In standard, the speed can be that slow - the 15mins free allowance can be up, by the time the first page has loaded up.

If I had decided to travel in 1st, on the basis of using the advertised complementary WiFi to reply to emails etc during the journey and it wasn't working - then I would have grounds to complain.
Just as the commuter being unable to use the advertised complementary WiFi on the 21 would.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I gave up trying with GNE WiFi a long time ago. Others are the same.
Relatives from Canada, who were visiting the region to see us and track down their roots, used GNE services to get about during their stay.
They were left less than impressed by the WiFi and took issue because of the literature and advertising they had seen, when planning the visit.
I did warn them... Angel

Had no idea about the breastfeeding policy.
Has it been advertised/promoted.

Will give them kudos for that.
(08 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote In standard, the speed can be that slow - the 15mins free allowance can be up, by the time the first page has loaded up.

If I had decided to travel in 1st, on the basis of using the advertised complementary WiFi to reply to emails etc during the journey and it wasn't working - then I would have grounds to complain.
Just as the commuter being unable to use the advertised complementary WiFi on the 21 would.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I gave up trying with GNE WiFi a long time ago. Others are the same.
Relatives from Canada, who were visiting the region to see us and track down their roots, used GNE services to get about during their stay.
They were left less than impressed by the WiFi and took issue because of the literature and advertising they had seen, when planning the visit.
I did warn them... Angel

Had no idea about the breastfeeding policy.
Has it been advertised/promoted.

Will give them kudos for that.

I too had not heard about the breast feeding thing - but it's one of those things that these days you don't expect discrimination against anymore.
(08 Jun 2014, 6:06 pm)Dan wrote I'm sure posting the fleet numbers on here will help to ensure things are passed on, knowing how many 'GNE insiders' we've got (whether they're silent watchers or active contributors). ;-)

Hi dan I've heard it's destination display was changed but the bus still having the same issue. As soon as it reaches a certain speed the display jumps around all over the place. So annoying!!! I still don't know what's taking the depot so long to make 39 simplicity
Site Administrator
(08 Jun 2014, 9:45 pm)Acky81 wrote Hi dan I've heard it's destination display was changed but the bus still having the same issue. As soon as it reaches a certain speed the display jumps around all over the place. So annoying!!! I still don't know what's taking the depot so long to make 39 simplicity

I heard it was completely fixed! Mind, this is news hot off the press since certain photographs reached Flickr when a certain photographer was at Doxford Park not so long ago...

Not necessarily down to the depot why the Versas allocated to service 39 have not been branded "SimpliCity"... Perhaps management have new plans?

Whether these alleged plans come into fruition or not is a completely different story - just look at the 61, for example, as that service was only meant to have the Versas on a temporary measure.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Go North East - Latest
Can anyone help me here...

Need to be up at the Emirates ICG in CLS for about 11, what would be the best way to do it from Murton on the bus...

61/78 or
202 or 265/X1/71
(09 Jun 2014, 6:53 am)marxistafozzski wrote Can anyone help me here...

Need to be up at the Emirates ICG in CLS for about 11, what would be the best way to do it from Murton on the bus...

61/78 or
202 or 265/X1/71

I'd probably get the 265 to Hetton, then X1/X35 to Houghton then the 71 from there?
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Jun 2014, 6:55 am)Tom wrote I'd probably get the 265 to Hetton, then X1/X35 to Houghton then the 71 from there?

Cheers Tom

Looks like it will be 265 about 9:20, X1, 71 just after 10
(09 Jun 2014, 6:56 am)marxistafozzski wrote Cheers Tom

Looks like it will be 265 about 9:20, X1, 71 just after 10

Looking at it, the best way might be to get the 61 from Murton at 09:26 to Sunderland (arrive at 09:55), then the 78 from Sunderland to the Durham CC (arrive at 10:43) Smile