You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Jun 2014, 6:02 am)citaro5284 wrote Of course it could also mean that is what the NCC/National Parks wanted and GNE are operating just that. On the other hand no matter what happens, GNE will always be at fault whatever the circumstances are in some people's eyes.

What were the fares on the service last year when GNE did not operate it?
I did try to reply to that whenever I posted the other message this morning, but I had next to no signal and as I had less than 10% battery with no access to a charger which would actually work with my phone, I decided it would be best to wait until later to reply. My post was by and large quite similar to the point being made in your post.

I'd assume - given that the service is fully secured as far as I know - those parties who have tendered the service will have full control on fare structures and the acceptance of Go North East tickets? Therefore, it would be a bad call by those parties opposed to Go North East, who would have little to no control over this, and could only put forward mere suggestions.
RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Jun 2014, 7:20 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote An independent wasn't it?
One of those small companies that don't have a massive bus network to feed into the contracted service nor the financial clout or influence that a major plc has.
As well as that, you had Classic - who would have incurred huge dead mileage costs.

To be honest, although the service is standalone - I cant imagine NCC have turned round to GNE and told them that the ad122 MUST stay as a service which MUST NOT accept the operators tickets - knowing full well those factors would probably do nothing to help increase passenger numbers.
I may be wrong, but the ticket prices and structure is probably more to do with the tender bid, affordability and margins.

Busman101 and his 'sources' may be able to advise otherwise.

As always, happy to be pointed in the right direction, as a lot of my points on the ad122 are based on guess work.

BIB: The Cumbrian Independent was Alba Travel.
BIB&I: Classic worked the board that started/finished in Newcastle - so only light mileage from Anfield Plain to Newcastle Central Station. Alba are based in Penrith so they had a tiny bit more light mileage to Carlisle than Classic did from their base to Newcastle.
(15 Jun 2014, 2:30 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Well, there could be that.

Getting back to the ad122 - GNE could have left it as a standalone service, leaving it alone from any integration with the company in the terms of passes etc.
Or, they could have tied the route into the existing network, accepted a range of tickets and dangled their corporate tentacles further into the Tyne Valley.

Comments on here by 'sources', potential passengers and residents living en route, indicate GNE chose the former and possibly the wrong option.
I personally think it is the wrong decision. If they had started a full-blown route as one of their others, I reckon it would do really well if they chose the times and route correctly.

If that was to happen, it would be a step further to reaching Carlisle - in a battle between Arriva/Stagecoach and GNE, they would win it, what with Key, Buzzfare etc etc.
Tynedalexpress has been a massive hit compared to Arriva's 85 (IMO leading to Arriva shooting themselves in the foot in backlash to it).
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(15 Jun 2014, 7:23 pm)Dan wrote Did you even enjoy your ride of that Solar this morning? First in the line to get on at Park Lane!

missed the last bus by 30 seconds so rushed round waited as long as i could
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(15 Jun 2014, 6:02 am)citaro5284 wrote Of course it could also mean that is what the NCC/National Parks wanted and GNE are operating just that. On the other hand no matter what happens, GNE will always be at fault whatever the circumstances are in some people's eyes.

What were the fares on the service last year when GNE did not operate it?

Exactly - in fairness to GNE, it was picked up at very late notice so the vehicle choice was pretty much based on what was about and not needed for other contracts elsewhere. I'm not sure what people expect should be run on a short term contract that's awarded at very late notice.

Onto the fares, the service is aimed at visitors to Hadrian's Wall, so its much more of a tourist service than something for the locals - hence the fares are in a similar style to something like Stagecoach's City Sightseeing in Newcastle - you can't chip up with a Megarider on that one ! The through tickets from Newcastle are in place as many of the users travel for the day from there, so it makes sense to offer an inclusive fare (especially as this replaces the previous link that Classic operated for NCC last year). The local fares, such as Wall and Acomb into Hexham or Gilsland to Haltwhistle are still pretty reasonable and probably pretty similar to other operators.

The service seems pretty busy and I've heard some very positive comments on the availability of information for this seasons operation in comparison to last year - time will tell, but it looks like its fulfilling the needs of the stakeholders as it stands
Just been thinking, if service X88 is allocated 3943 on Saturdays and a Red Arrow B9 on Sundays would it not make sense just to bring it under the 'Red Arrows' brand rather than having it as a service that is, on the timetable supposed to be allocated Northern deckers.
(15 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm)Robert wrote Just been thinking, if service X88 is allocated 3943 on Saturdays and a Red Arrow B9 on Sundays would it not make sense just to bring it under the 'Red Arrows' brand rather than having it as a service that is, on the timetable supposed to be allocated Northern deckers.

I saw the Red Arrows B9 today. I remember a while back (probably last year) I thought it was super rare to see a Red Arrows vehicle (Gemini 1 or 2) on the X88 because it was nearly always a President!
" X3 bus service is to be withdrawn from 27th July. Go North East say it is unviable despite them making changes to the service since it's introduction 3 years ago. This particularly affects passengers from East and West Boldon."

From the East Boldon Residents facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/EastBoldon?fref=ts

(15 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm)cbma06 wrote " X3 bus service is to be withdrawn from 27th July. Go North East say it is unviable despite them making changes to the service since it's introduction 3 years ago. This particularly affects passengers from East and West Boldon."

Thought it wouldn't be long, like how everyone is moaning, should of used it more.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm)Michael wrote Thought it wouldn't be long, like how everyone is moaning, should of used it more.

As ever a service is withdrawn then people who don't use this or any bus service whinge about their bus services being cut.
(15 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm)Jimmi wrote As ever a service is withdrawn then people who don't use this or any bus service whinge about their bus services being cut.

Ye, always the same, least GNE will have a extra spare in the depot
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(15 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm)Jimmi wrote As ever a service is withdrawn then people who don't use this or any bus service whinge about their bus services being cut.

Some people just like to moan for moaning sake and there not happy if they have nowt to moan about
(15 Jun 2014, 10:29 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Some people just like to moan for moaning sake and there not happy if they have nowt to moan about

Too true! You've no idea the moaning the people from Hadrian Park did when the 305 was changed to the 58 and no longer served Haymarket Bus Station as if they couldn't walk the extra few minutes! Pensioners believing buses are ran soley for them
Re the x3: Sunderland - Newcastle services via Boldon have always failed.
There isn't the demand, no matter which number is in front of it.

Maybe if Boldon had a service to Newcastle which came from a different starting point or via a different route, it may have more joy.

Can't think off the top of my head at the moment, but will try and stick something in the suggestions thread.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(15 Jun 2014, 8:20 pm)Robert wrote Just been thinking, if service X88 is allocated 3943 on Saturdays and a Red Arrow B9 on Sundays would it not make sense just to bring it under the 'Red Arrows' brand rather than having it as a service that is, on the timetable supposed to be allocated Northern deckers.

Volvo B7TL 3943 was allocated to service X1 on Saturday, like it usually is.

The only reason why it isn't "officially" branded "Red Arrows" is because 3943 is the branded spare for service X1. With that in mind, it should be allocated to service X1 over service X88 on a Saturday, if any of the Volvo B9TLs aren't fit for service that day.

(15 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm)Marcus wrote I saw the Red Arrows B9 today. I remember a while back (probably last year) I thought it was super rare to see a Red Arrows vehicle (Gemini 1 or 2) on the X88 because it was nearly always a President!

Service X88 used to be operated by two Washington-based Plaxton President bodied Volvo B7TLs on Saturdays when the service operated all the way to Sunderland opposed to Concord.

On Sundays, Deptford operated it with two "Silver Arrows" branded Mercs - anticipating lower passenger numbers than on Saturdays.

3943 appearing on there is only a fairly recent thing since the service was curtailed at Concord.

(15 Jun 2014, 9:17 pm)cbma06 wrote " X3 bus service is to be withdrawn from 27th July. Go North East say it is unviable despite them making changes to the service since it's introduction 3 years ago. This particularly affects passengers from East and West Boldon."

Wish we'd taken bets on it now!

I've always said it would be withdrawn by the time the summer holidays kicked in, purely because service X3 in its current form existed for operational convenience in regards to also operating scholar services.

(15 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm)Michael wrote Ye, always the same, least GNE will have a extra spare in the depot

Michael, I'd suggest that it's more than likely Go North East have also lost the scholars contract attached to service X3. As such, one of the Volvo B7TLs (most likely a President) is likely to transfer to another depot in the region. I'd imagine this would assist with the withdrawal of the remaining high-floor Olympians.

There are 40 miscellaneous workings boards which are primarily attached to scholar services that are to be gained/lost by our operators in the North East (see the "Tender Discussion" thread); although I believe they will not be registered on VOSA and it is therefore unlikely we'll find out the outcome, I would suggest it is quite likely Go North East will lose a number of these contracts to enable them to withdraw the remaining Olympians. I have included the details of how many Olympians each depot houses below:

- Stanley (13)
- Riverside (3)
- Withdrawn (3)

Of course, it is quite likely that this year's orders will assist with the withdrawal of any Volvo Olympians which may remain following a shift round of double deckers in the fleet if Go North East do lose a number of those miscellaneous workings.

The three Volvo Olympians which have been already been withdrawn (3816, 3821 and 3826) are likely to be sold for scrap if they already haven't been - those being the examples that have either been involved in RTAs or have had some form of mechanical problem which has seen them off.

I'd anticipate that the other examples - providing that nothing bad happens (fingers crossed) - will all be sold on to other operators, much like some of the Volvo Olympians which have already departed the fleet.
(16 Jun 2014, 7:15 am)Dan wrote Wish we'd taken bets on it now!

I've always said it would be withdrawn by the time the summer holidays kicked in, purely because service X3 in its current form existed for operational convenience in regards to also operating scholar services.

Michael, I'd suggest that it's more than likely Go North East have also lost the scholars contract attached to service X3. As such, one of the Volvo B7TLs (most likely a President) is likely to transfer to another depot in the region. I'd imagine this would assist with the withdrawal of the remaining high-floor Olympians.

If 1 does go, its more likely to go to riverside than Stanley.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 11:08 am)Michael wrote If 1 does go, its more likely to go to riverside than Stanley.

I'd suggest the opposite - the Olympians are confined to the Jewish scholar contract and staff shuttles in between.
They have very rarely seen normal service work since transfer to Riverside. Stanley are using their Olympians on service work all of the time.
(16 Jun 2014, 11:13 am)Dan wrote I'd suggest the opposite - the Olympians are confined to the Jewish scholar contract and staff shuttles in between.
They have very rarely seen normal service work since transfer to Riverside. Stanley are using their Olympians on service work all of the time.

Would of thought they would of wanted lo-liner buses for the school/shuttles.

Wonder if GNE have lost any more contracts for scholar work?

I was hoping a Vyking would go!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 11:13 am)Dan wrote I'd suggest the opposite - the Olympians are confined to the Jewish scholar contract and staff shuttles in between.

Stupid question, Why are they confined to a Jewish scholars contract
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 11:16 am)Michael wrote Would of thought they would of wanted lo-liner buses for the school/shuttles.

Wonder if GNE have lost any more contracts for scholar work?

I was hoping a Vyking would go!

The contract specification is set by the Jewish school opposed to Go North East - and obviously it doesn't really matter what is used on staff shuttles. Clearly a van is preferable, but if they're all out or there are multiple staff going over to the Metrocentre at once, any bus which is spare in the depot can be used.

Only time will tell for Go North East losing contracts - and we'll be able to tell by the movement of vehicles around the region.

A Vyking could go, but it makes sense to keep service 9 fully operated by Vykings with a President acting as backup.

(16 Jun 2014, 11:18 am)marxistafozzski wrote Stupid question, Why are they confined to a Jewish scholars contract

That's all they're required for, as far as I know.
I'm sure one of our GNE insiders will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Jewish Scholars contract has a maximum PVR of 3 - hence why three Olympians are based at Riverside.
Nexus contracts are more likely to stipulate low floor specification, whereas the Jewish school on Sunderland Road in Gateshead has not.

Riverside would have management breathing down their necks if they escaped onto normal service work as it obviously increases costs if anyone calls them up on the offer of a free taxi, etc - not forgetting the inconvenience to customers who require low floor access.
GNE have posted on facebook that they have a volvo B5TL on an evaluation trail.

People with passes will have to use the ticket machine, as this wont have a key card one.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm)Michael wrote GNE have posted on facebook that they have a volvo B5TL on an evaluation trail.

As I do not know a great deal about buses, is the B5TL a good vehicle...What will it be trialled on and will it do the rounds among all the depots
(16 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm)marxistafozzski wrote As I do not know a great deal about buses, is the B5TL a good vehicle...What will it be trialled on and will it do the rounds among all the depots

I think its like the ones on the angels but not a hybrid?

As for what routes/depots, no idea, also anyone know how long it will here for?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm)Michael wrote I think its like the ones on the angels but not a hybrid?

As for what routes/depots, no idea, also anyone know how long it will here for?

Could it be trialled on the 20 or 35 perhaps, I don't know what passenger numbers are like on those service, would those services be worth an investment???
(16 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Could it be trialled on the 20 or 35 perhaps, I don't know what passenger numbers are like on those service, would those services be worth an investment???

The laser was rumoured to get new buses this year, so this could be for the laser.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(16 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm)Michael wrote GNE have posted on facebook that they have a volvo B5TL on an evaluation trail.

People with passes will have to use the ticket machine, as this wont have a key card one.

Gave your comment a cheeky like! Tongue

(16 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm)marxistafozzski wrote As I do not know a great deal about buses, is the B5TL a good vehicle...What will it be trialled on and will it do the rounds among all the depots

Cheap, flimsy, plasticcy crap.
Well up Davey Bowyer's street, as you could imagine. Big Grin
(16 Jun 2014, 12:16 pm)Dan wrote Gave your comment a cheeky like! Tongue

I noticed Tongue

Seems it will be at different depots.. maybe a hint at routes which could get a double decker order this year?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(16 Jun 2014, 12:16 pm)Dan wrote Gave your comment a cheeky like! Tongue

So I guess they are not superior to what GNE has already

That's a good way to describe a bus btw
Cheap, Flimsy, Plastic Crap...

MarxistaFozzski likes this...

We really need a like button on the forums

#NEBlikes