You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Re: RE: Haymarket / Eldon Square Congestion
(17 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I've noticed that the congestion os getting quite bad from both bus stations. Quite often, it can take buses 5 minutes to get from Haymarket to St Mary's Place / Barras Bridge. It mustn't be any better at Eldon Square.
Percy Street is the issue. why we pay planners so much to come up.with brilliant ideas like build two bus stations, two taxi ranks, and a multi story car park on one street is beyond me.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
RE: Haymarket / Eldon Square Congestion
(17 Jun 2014, 9:33 pm)aureolin wrote Percy Street is the issue. why we pay planners so much to come up.with brilliant ideas like build two bus stations, two taxi ranks, and a multi story car park on one street is beyond me.

There was going to be a direct route from the universities, RVI, SJP and Eldon Garden out to St James Boulevard but the plans were scrapped, thats why there are rather large spaces behind Eldon Garden and particularly behind Gallowgate (around where Sainsburys and the Sky office are located)

Eldon Square Station was rebuilt on the premise this would happen.

Unfortunately Newcastle is growing and this equals more people and more traffic and much like other cities, Newcastle is suffering. Newcastle is a medieval city which had a 60s revival, a 70s and 80s collapse and a 90s to 00/10 revival and its VERY compact which throws up all sorts of problems
Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
Former Lothian Buses Volvo B5TL demonstrator BF63HDC arrived at Riverside last night.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Jun 2014, 7:36 am)GMitchelhill wrote Ironically I post on GNE facebook page, that if it like the one at Lothian it rattles and have uncomfy seats. Lo and behold the B5TL demo is the Lothian one.
I noticed that yesterday and smiled to myself..!
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 7:11 am)Dan wrote Former Lothian Buses Volvo B5TL demonstrator BF63HDC arrived at Riverside last night.
It has now been allocated fleet number 9131, and, as suggested previously, it is to be trialled on Toon Link services 11/31/32/47 followed by Pronto service X21.
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 9:16 am)G-CPTN wrote Re-issue of a fleet number formerly allocated to Volvo B7TL Plaxton President V331 LGC:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/5520049062/
Yes, was quite surprised about the fleet number being re-used myself!

On a different note, guess who won that competition for some band thing happening in Whickham that Andreos posted about? Tongue
(18 Jun 2014, 9:19 am)Dan wrote On a different note, guess who won that competition for some band thing happening in Whickham that Andreos posted about? Tongue

Did you not win some other GNE competition at some point?
(18 Jun 2014, 9:19 am)Dan wrote Yes, was quite surprised about the fleet number being re-used myself!

On a different note, guess who won that competition for some band thing happening in Whickham that Andreos posted about? Tongue

What colour did you decide on in the end? :p
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote What colour did you decide on in the end? :p

After much contemplation...

'Green base colour livery with orange, yellow and black vinyls added.'
(18 Jun 2014, 9:02 am)Dan wrote It has now been allocated fleet number 9131, and, as suggested previously, it is to be trialled on Toon Link services 11/31/32/47 followed by Pronto service X21.

Thanks Dan!

(18 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Shame it's not being trialled on 27 very disappointed with GoNE. .

Me too i was hoping to see it on the 35 in Sunderland to.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Shame it's not being trialled on 27 very disappointed with GoNE. .

wonder when this will enter service on Toon Link 11/31/32/47 and Pronto X21 somebody was saying a while back Pronto could do with new deckers as the ones they have now are 2nd hand too old and could make do with Scholars routes i would have had this on 27 too but the mercedez benz citaros they currently have do there job and there fast plus there is a possibility they may order some new deckers not 100% confirmed yet for that route but if its true i can take photos on my own stomping ground
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(18 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm)Racer_Experience wrote wonder when this will enter service on Toon Link 11/31/32/47 and Pronto X21 somebody was saying a while back Pronto could do with new deckers as the ones they have now are 2nd hand too old and could make do with Scholars routes i would have had this on 27 too but the mercedez benz citaros they currently have do there job and there fast plus there is a possibility they may order some new deckers not 100% confirmed yet for that route but if its true i can take photos on my own stomping ground

Quote from Dan's pic.

"The vehicle is expected to serve with Go North East for a number of weeks - it is currently expected that it will be allocated to Riverside depot on "Toon Link" services 11, 31/32 and 47 until June 25th, and it is expected that its remaining time serving with Go North East will be spent at Crook depot on "Pronto" service X21"

I hope i get some merit critera with that quote! Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm)Dan wrote After much contemplation...

'Green base colour livery with orange, yellow and black vinyls added.'

Whey man, that isn't very detailed.
Your forgot to mention the black rubber wheels and details of the interior Big Grin
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm)Michael wrote Quote from Dan's pic.

"The vehicle is expected to serve with Go North East for a number of weeks - it is currently expected that it will be allocated to Riverside depot on "Toon Link" services 11, 31/32 and 47 until June 25th, and it is expected that its remaining time serving with Go North East will be spent at Crook depot on "Pronto" service X21"

I hope i get some merit critera with that quote! Tongue

How many times can 'expected' be said in one sentence? Tongue

Bazza - the vehicle has been equipped with a ticket machine and it now has working destination displays (which can be seen on my photographs). Given that it's allegedly departing Riverside for Crook on June 25th, I'd expect the vehicle to be out in service tomorrow.

(18 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Whey man, that isn't very detailed.
Your forgot to mention the black rubber wheels and details of the interior Big Grin

Hahah! Wink
I for one is glad it isn't on the 27. One it doesn't need new buses and also we end up with countless photos of it a bloody Hebburn shopping centre.

I'm glad it's on the Toon Link and hopefully get some photos of it on the more scenic parts of the 47.

Honestly I don't understand what the obsession is with the 27. It's nearly as bad as that kid in Sheffield who declares his love to any bus photo of his beloved First Mainline 53.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(18 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm)GMitchelhill wrote I for one is glad it isn't on the 27. One it doesn't need new buses and also we end up with countless photos of it a bloody Hebburn shopping centre.

I'm glad it's on the Toon Link and hopefully get some photos of it on the more scenic parts of the 47.

Honestly I don't understand what the obsession is with the 27. It's nearly as bad as that kid in Sheffield who declares his love to any bus photo of his beloved First Mainline 53.

I think i know what you mean by that but at the same time i dont want to say just in case im wrong. I do, however get what your saying about the 27. Although its a basic livery i think the Citaros are quite capable of providing a good, reliable service on the 27 for many years to come.
(18 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm)GMitchelhill wrote I for one is glad it isn't on the 27. One it doesn't need new buses and also we end up with countless photos of it a bloody Hebburn shopping centre.

me too, i don't know why people want it on the 27, they have decent buses., its the same as the X1 and X3
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Anybody know if they will remove the 'northern' off the red spares buses anytime soon, to match up with the rest of the unbranded/spare fleet.

Personally I liked the livery on the Versa they had on loan not so long ago with the giant 'Go North East' on either side opposed to the northern, it looked smart. [/align]
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Anybody know if they will remove the 'northern' off the red spares buses anytime soon, to match up with the rest of the unbranded/spare fleet.

Personally I liked the livery on the Versa they had on loan not so long ago with the giant 'Go North East' on either side opposed to the northern, it looked smart.

I'd imagine the new corporate livery will be rolled out this summer, although this is mere speculation and not something I actually know...
(18 Jun 2014, 5:12 pm)Dan wrote I'd imagine the new corporate livery will be rolled out this summer, although this is mere speculation and not something I actually know...

Hmmmmm!
Couple of things regarding 27 topic.

I only suggest trailling it , to see how it would perform/ running costs compared to citras now for future. To see if the 27 needs really needs Deckers (sometimes it does at peak/school times) or GoNE needs to resort timetablet to stop buses running in 2s and people waiting over 20mins for the next.

Since GoNE downgraded from Volvo B10 their has been less room for people to get on and replace with Citraos Euro 2.

I think the company should have swapped with Scaina Omncity 1 or 45/46 service which would have been a far better improvement with space and engine quality for upgrade.

(I do miss Both Leyland Olympian & Volvo Olympian NC 2 which made 527/27 the best in the Double Decker Buses of it's time. With Special Thanks to Go Northern General/VFM Buses for providing the best vehicles at that time & only wished that the company had not closed down VFM S/S depot.)