You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Since GoNE downgraded from Volvo B10 their has been less room for people to get on and replace with Citraos Euro 2.

You're classing that as a Downgrade? Yes, there are now 4 seats less per journey but i wouldnt be bothered about that too much as the Citaros are much more reliable than the Renowns.
(18 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Couple of things regarding 27 topic.

I only suggest trailling it , to see how it would perform/ running costs compared to citras now for future. To see if the 27 needs really needs Deckers (sometimes it does at peak/school times) or GoNE needs to resort timetablet to stop buses running in 2s and people waiting over 20mins for the next.

Since GoNE downgraded from Volvo B10 their has been less room for people to get on and replace with Citraos Euro 2.

I think the company should have swapped with Scaina Omncity 1 or 45/46 service which would have been a far better improvement with space and engine quality for upgrade.

I totally disagree. When Go North East introduced the albeit odd 10/11 minute frequency, reliability saw a massive increase. While the Citaros have a few less seats, the increase in reliability has meant that there are less standing overall.

Also, the Scania Omnicitys are Euro 4 if I recall correctly, whereas the Citaros are Euro 5? Plus, they're not the best-known for reliability! There's no point changing the 27 just so new vehicles can be brought to the South Tyneside area when the 27 is fine with what it has.

I'd say the only disadvantage is the lack of set times on the timetable. I think a 12 minute timetable would be more beneficial, rather than a 10/11 minute, but that's just me?
(18 Jun 2014, 7:10 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I totally disagree. When Go North East introduced the albeit odd 10/11 minute frequency, reliability saw a massive increase. While the Citaros have a few less seats, the increase in reliability has meant that there are less standing overall.

Also, the Scania Omnicitys are Euro 4 if I recall correctly, whereas the Citaros are Euro 5? Plus, they're not the best-known for reliability! There's no point changing the 27 just so new vehicles can be brought to the South Tyneside area when the 27 is fine with what it has.

I'd say the only disadvantage is the lack of set times on the timetable. I think a 12 minute timetable would be more beneficial, rather than a 10/11 minute, but that's just me?

Ok i do agree with you and Robert but Citaros on GoNE website has Euro 2 Kite for Cruasder and Blaydon. Omnicity are Euro 4 engines.

Im not asking them to change 27 but to see how well it performs in future whether that's 2 year or 5 years time, 1 Decker is only needed maybe as a 1 week trail but not replacing all the citraos.

But i do standby my statement.
(18 Jun 2014, 7:26 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Ok i do agree with you and Robert but Citaros on GoNE website has Euro 2 Kite for Cruasder and Blaydon. Omnicity are Euro 4 engines.

Both 'Blaydon Racers' and 'Crusader' Citaros are Euro 5. Go North East tend to miss little details like that out from the website.

'Lambton Worm' and 'Waggonway' are still listed as Euro 2, despite being Euro 4 and 3 rated respectfully.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(18 Jun 2014, 7:28 pm)BJ10VUS wrote Both 'Blaydon Racers' and 'Crusader' Citaros are Euro 5. Go North East tend to miss little details like that out from the website.
...despite being informed of them!
(18 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm)Robert wrote You're classing that as a Downgrade? Yes, there are now 4 seats less per journey but i wouldnt be bothered about that too much as the Citaros are much more reliable than the Renowns.

I agree with Robert citaros are reliable than renowns but as I say renowns are a old banger keeps on having issues citaros however are star quality when I've been on a citaro in the past here more reliable than a renown which is like my mate anths cat too old now
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Marxista Fozzski
(18 Jun 2014, 8:43 pm)Racer_Experience wrote I agree with Robert citaros are reliable than renowns but as I say renowns are a old banger keeps on having issues citaros however are star quality when I've been on a citaro in the past here more reliable than a renown which is like my mate anths cat too old now

I like it...comparing a bus to a pussy
(18 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm)Robert wrote You're classing that as a Downgrade? Yes, there are now 4 seats less per journey but i wouldnt be bothered about that too much as the Citaros are much more reliable than the Renowns.

Personally, I disagree - I think the B10BLEs still have a lot of life in them. Every time I see the Blaydon Racers when I'm out on my travels there is normally at least one branded Citaro VOR. Although it's all down to personal opinion, I think Citaro's aren't long distance buses and are more suited to city work. Again, it's all down to opinion.
(18 Jun 2014, 5:12 pm)Dan wrote I'd imagine the new corporate livery will be rolled out this summer, although this is mere speculation and not something I actually know...

Be very interesting to see what they do, whether they approach it with the simple look or add more colour ...
Why does the Toon Link service need deckers? Surely Citaros or Versas are perfectly adequate. Also another priority should be to make all 35 service vehicles into Citaros. I agree that the vehicles on the Pronto service are horrible and need replacing. The ten minute service does not work. The X1 and 56 always have buses following each other and quite often they are empty. Again it is overkill with deckers.

Are all Streetlites like 5345? It was making horrendous rattling noises towards the back of the vehicle the other day.
(18 Jun 2014, 10:59 pm)RCN 699 wrote Are all Streetlites like 5345? It was making horrendous rattling noises towards the back of the vehicle the other day.

StreetLites are horrible! The drifter ones rattle and make strange noises all the time, one is particular is quite bad can't remember which. I recall a women opting for a Versa on the 61 over the StreetLite!
Site Administrator
(18 Jun 2014, 10:59 pm)RCN 699 wrote Why does the Toon Link service need deckers? Surely Citaros or Versas are perfectly adequate. Also another priority should be to make all 35 service vehicles into Citaros. I agree that the vehicles on the Pronto service are horrible and need replacing. The ten minute service does not work. The X1 and 56 always have buses following each other and quite often they are empty. Again it is overkill with deckers.

Are all Streetlites like 5345? It was making horrendous rattling noises towards the back of the vehicle the other day.

There are a number of times during the day where double decked vehicles can be justified due to overcrowding - this is also the case on Laser service 35 and Prince Bishops service 20. Single decked vehicles would be adequate for a large proportion of the day, but if it means you're leaving customers behind during those peak periods of high passenger numbers, it's no good!

I don't think it's a major priority to ensure there is a full Citaro allocation on service 35 and I do think it is more likely that we will see replacement vehicles next year which will allow the current allocation to take up a new role within the fleet.

A streamlined ten minute frequency can and does work, but it depends on the nature of the service. It is very successful for Stagecoach due to the fact their routes are so much smaller in size, and never go too far from town. The likes of the Fab56 and Red Arrows are huge in comparison, and it's no wonder that there are often delays and vehicles running in pairs. I'm sure Go North East know all of the facts and figures, as double decker vehicles on a streamlined ten minute frequency wouldn't have been ordered if the figures didn't stack up.

Most of the Drifter Streetlites are in a bad way, which I'm reluctant to admit given that it will lead to all sorts of assumptions. I believe 5371 is the one which was re-engined after a month or two in service, and it sounds awful from outside of the vehicle - not as bad inside, but still sounds pretty bad in comparison to the others. There is one which has a loose panel or something at the back (presumably 5375 given your post), and yes, it rattles like hell. Almost as bad as the Pulsars on Arriva North East service 24.

Will be interesting to see how these light weight single deckers stack up on Arriva's premium product, Sapphire, providing that's still going ahead.
(18 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm)Marcus wrote Personally, I disagree - I think the B10BLEs still have a lot of life in them. Every time I see the Blaydon Racers when I'm out on my travels there is normally at least one branded Citaro VOR. Although it's all down to personal opinion, I think Citaro's aren't long distance buses and are more suited to city work. Again, it's all down to opinion.

I disagree with the fact your stating that Citaros are for city work! I think putting the Citaros on the 27 was a upgrade, look at the seating, much improved, and reliability has been much better since the introduction of Citaros, and the majority of the time I see the 27 it's a Merc.
Look at the X7, there has only been one breakdown within the time they've been on the service, and the quality is outstanding.
(19 Jun 2014, 6:37 am)Tom wrote I disagree with the fact your stating that Citaros are for city work! I think putting the Citaros on the 27 was a upgrade, look at the seating, much improved, and reliability has been much better since the introduction of Vykings, and the majority of the time I see the 27 it's a Merc.
Look at the X7, there has only been one breakdown within the time they've been on the service, and the quality is outstanding.

Vykings? Tongue

Yeah, but I agree that the Citaros are much better in terms of comfort and seating, although I'm not that keen on the backwards facing one that is raised, so you're nearly on the roof! I think reliability is about the same, albeit a little bit improved over the Renowns, but they weren't bad when they were 'Crusaders' like they were on the X7.

Also, the second row of seats can fit a trolley in, so in turn, there are less delightful old dears taking up the wheelchair and buggy spaces which was delaying the bus when they got stubborn and refused to move.
(19 Jun 2014, 7:13 am)BJ10VUS wrote Vykings? Tongue

Yeah, but I agree that the Citaros are much better in terms of comfort and seating, although I'm not that keen on the backwards facing one that is raised, so you're nearly on the roof! I think reliability is about the same, albeit a little bit improved over the Renowns, but they weren't bad when they were 'Crusaders' like they were on the X7.

Also, the second row of seats can fit a trolley in, so in turn, there are less delightful old dears taking up the wheelchair and buggy spaces which was delaying the bus when they got stubborn and refused to move.

God knows where I got Vykings from Tongue
(19 Jun 2014, 7:32 am)Jimmi wrote That must be the first time that Vykings and reliability have been used in the same sentence without the word poor being in there.

Me too! Tongue

Should be good when GNE start withdrawing them
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 Jun 2014, 9:27 am)Michael wrote Me too! Tongue

Should be good when GNE start withdrawing them
Got a minimum of three years to wait for that!
(19 Jun 2014, 9:32 am)Dan wrote Got a minimum of three years to wait for that!

To long! haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Running six minutes late when I photographed it (no surprises there), 9131 is out in service today on the Toon Link.
Site Administrator
(19 Jun 2014, 11:11 am)GMitchelhill wrote Hopefully it has a set running board.
I don't think 9131 knows what a timetable is. Currently 20 minutes late - deja-vu for me, this... Happened in Edinburgh too!
(19 Jun 2014, 12:42 pm)Dan wrote I don't think 9131 knows what a timetable is. Currently 20 minutes late - deja-vu for me, this... Happened in Edinburgh too!

Not a good start then.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jun 2014, 12:42 pm)Dan wrote I don't think 9131 knows what a timetable is. Currently 20 minutes late - deja-vu for me, this... Happened in Edinburgh too!

Any idea where and what route is 9131 running now? Cheers
Site Administrator
(19 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm)bcal3119 wrote Any idea where and what route is 9131 running now? Cheers
Central Station, 20 minutes late on the 31.
(19 Jun 2014, 12:53 pm)Dan wrote Central Station, 20 minutes late on the 31.

How does the Toonlink buses all interwork?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm)Michael wrote How does the Toonlink buses all interwork?

Probably 31 and 32 interworking with each other, and some later departures may also work with 11.
(19 Jun 2014, 2:20 pm)eezypeazy wrote Daytimes, starting from Newcastle, it goes 31 (to Winlaton), 32 back to Newcastle, 47 round trip, 32 out, 31 back in, 11 round trip.

Thanks eezypeazy
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.