You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Site Administrator
Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions
(21 Jun 2014, 7:11 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Why didn't GNE take the MMC out for a trial like what they're doing for the B5TL? I know I've been a bit hmm towards it but with the exception of the TTX, they'd be OK and for the TEN and Red Arrows, GNE could order the Scania / Cummins chassis rather than the ADL chassis to have a bit more power. I know that the MMC would be a good replacement for the Angel hybrids when they end up in the same state as the B7TL Gemini's.
Because they only had it for about four hours.
It takes a day to fit a ticket machine, upload destination displays, check the vehicle over etc.
So because of this, management took it up to Winlaton and back from Riverside to test it on the hills. Clearly this is not a true representation of how heavy the vehicle would be if it had a full passenger load though, so you could expect a slightly different performance from it...
RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions
(21 Jun 2014, 7:17 pm)Dan wrote Because they only had it for about four hours.
It takes a day to fit a ticket machine, upload destination displays, check the vehicle over etc.
So because of this, management took it up to Winlaton and back from Riverside to test it on the hills. Clearly this is not a true representation of how heavy the vehicle would be if it had a full passenger load though, so you could expect a slightly different performance from it...

And what was their opinion on it despite it running light?
Site Administrator
(21 Jun 2014, 7:20 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote And what was their opinion on it despite it running light?
I don't get to find out everything! Tongue
Site Administrator
(21 Jun 2014, 7:20 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote And what was their opinion on it despite it running light?
I don't get to find out everything! Tongue
I know you don't Dan, don't worry! Smile . Anyways, unless Volvo offer GNE a deal they can't refuse, then there won't be any new deckers from Volvo unless they introduce an 8 litre engine.
Been out again Today over Newcastle way for Photos of 9131, and I finally managed to get to have a ride on it on the 31 to Winlaton and the 32 Back (Basically a Round Trip) which I believe Dan tried to do a few Days a go before 9131 was Regulated at Winlaton.

I know quite a lot of you don't like it, whether it be from a Design point of view, Comfort and also saying it is under Power due having only a 5 Litre Engine.

I am going to be Brutally Honest here, in the Hour I spent on 9131 up to Winlaton from Newcastle and Back on the 31/32, I loved it and I think it handled the Route very well, The Seats were not bad, certainly more comfortable than that cheap hard plastic crap you get on Stagecoach E400's, The Ride was Very Smooth but only rattled excessively when going over Pot Holes, otherwise barely a squeak.

I also experienced something rather Special on 9131 which I have never seen with any other Bus, and this happened on Several Occasions throughout the Journey, Particularly around the Winlaton area. People who were walking by stopped pointed and simply admired 9131 as it Drove Past and I was simply amazed by that which is why I have grown to Love the B5TL.

But despite the above I agree with Everyone else I don't think it would cope on such a Demanding Route such as the X21 on a Daily Basis, and I anticipate there will be a few Brake Downs on the X21 as a Result of it's 5 Litre Engine, and I don't think it would survive Several Years on that sort of Service either. I think we need something with a lot more Power that has more than a 9 Litre Engine in the Low Floor Single Deck and Double Decker Market.

As a Result of that I am torn in Half as to whether it would be worth while Go North East investing in this Vehicle after Demonstration is Over, And I could only think of Very Few Routes that it could be Successful on, Further more relating back to the Toon Link, Does it really need Double Deckers as I think it could quite easily Justify a 11.7m Versa or a Citaro, other than at Peak Times during the Day, As I would argue the Toon Links are Glass Half Full - Glass Half Empty sort of Service from my experience of using those Services over the Past Week.
(21 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Been out again Today over Newcastle way for Photos of 9131, and I finally managed to get to have a ride on it on the 31 to Winlaton and the 32 Back (Basically a Round Trip) which I believe Dan tried to do a few Days a go before 9131 was Regulated at Winlaton.

I know quite a lot of you don't like it, whether it be from a Design point of view, Comfort and also saying it is under Power due having only a 5 Litre Engine.

I am going to be Brutally Honest here, in the Hour I spent on 9131 up to Winlaton from Newcastle and Back on the 31/32, I loved it and I think it handled the Route very well, The Seats were not bad, certainly more comfortable than that cheap hard plastic crap you get on Stagecoach E400's, The Ride was Very Smooth but only rattled excessively when going over Pot Holes, otherwise barely a squeak.

I also experienced something rather Special on 9131 which I have never seen with any other Bus, and this happened on Several Occasions throughout the Journey, Particularly around the Winlaton area. People who were walking by stopped pointed and simply admired 9131 as it Drove Past and I was simply amazed by that which is why I have grown to Love the B5TL.

But despite the above I agree with Everyone else I don't think it would cope on such a Demanding Route such as the X21 on a Daily Basis, and I anticipate there will be a few Brake Downs on the X21 as a Result of it's 5 Litre Engine, and I don't think it would survive Several Years on that sort of Service either. I think we need something with a lot more Power that has more than a 9 Litre Engine in the Low Floor Single Deck and Double Decker Market.

As a Result of that I am torn in Half as to whether it would be worth while Go North East investing in this Vehicle after Demonstration is Over, And I could only think of Very Few Routes that it could be Successful on, Further more relating back to the Toon Link, Does it really need Double Deckers as I think it could quite easily Justify a 11.7m Versa or a Citaro, other than at Peak Times during the Day, As I would argue the Toon Links are Glass Half Full - Glass Half Empty sort of Service from my experience of using those Services over the Past Week.

It looks decent but, why has it been running late? The MMC looks a very decent and as long as it's well looked after and used on nothing more than the long TEN / Red Arrows (Scania / Cummins) or Fab 56 / Cobalts (ADL / Cummins), it'll be reliable. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm far from impressed. And despite the fact that I'm not a fan of the ADL / Cummins option for high power, the 6.7l unit has a canny little poke in it for short sprints.

I'll give you an example of the B5TL and the B9TL differences and what difference a powerful engine can make. Lets imagine a 306 or 308 didn't turn in and the 309 or 310 has had a very high load between Newcastle Haymarket and Benfield Road at peak time as a result of this. Now bad enough as it is, the bus should have taken 18 minutes to Station Road but it's took that just to Benfield Road. Now, the bus can pick up speed and make up some time between there and Station Road. The B9TL already has an advantage BUT, what if someone rung the bell for the Home Park stop. 9l vs 5l? Work that one out!
(21 Jun 2014, 8:58 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote It looks decent but, why has it been running late? The MMC looks a very decent and as long as it's well looked after and used on nothing more than the long TEN / Red Arrows (Scania / Cummins) or Fab 56 / Cobalts (ADL / Cummins), it'll be reliable. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm far from impressed. And despite the fact that I'm not a fan of the ADL / Cummins option for high power, the 6.7l unit has a canny little poke in it for short sprints.

I'll give you an example of the B5TL and the B9TL differences and what difference a powerful engine can make. Lets imagine a 306 or 308 didn't turn in and the 309 or 310 has had a very high load between Newcastle Haymarket and Benfield Road at peak time as a result of this. Now bad enough as it is, the bus should have taken 18 minutes to Station Road but it's took that just to Benfield Road. Now, the bus can pick up speed and make up some time between there and Station Road. The B9TL already has an advantage BUT, what if someone rung the bell for the Home Park stop. 9l vs 5l? Work that one out!

No idea as to why it has been Running upwards of 10 Minutes Late, but I would say it something to with very odd Toon Link Interworking Pattern, which I worked out Today... which is as following depending on time of the day, so for me it would of been.

31 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Winlaton
32 - Winlaton to Newcastle Eldon Square
47 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Blackhall Mill
47 - Blackhall Mill to Newcastle Eldon Square
11 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Blackhall Mill
11 - Blackhall Mill to Newcastle Eldon Square

Then the above Cycle would Repeat itself, obviously for it to be late there have to Major Roadworks, which there is at Blaydon and Near to Winlaton, there maybe some towards Blackhall Mill also, Plus if there is Driver Changeover in between and increase in Passenger Numbers, as it is the Weekend then the above would all take effect, I wouldn't say it's Late due the Power and Performance of the Vehicles Engine.
(21 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote No idea as to why it has been Running upwards of 10 Minutes Late, but I would say it something to with very odd Toon Link Interworking Pattern, which I worked out Today... which is as following depending on time of the day, so for me it would of been.

31 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Winlaton
32 - Winlaton to Newcastle Eldon Square
47 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Blackhall Mill
47 - Blackhall Mill to Newcastle Eldon Square
11 - Newcastle Eldon Square to Blackhall Mill
11 - Blackhall Mill to Newcastle Eldon Square

Then the above Cycle would Repeat itself, obviously for it to be late there have to Major Roadworks, which there is at Blaydon and Near to Winlaton, there maybe some towards Blackhall Mill also, Plus if there is Driver Changeover in between and increase in Passenger Numbers, as it is the Weekend then the above would all take effect, I wouldn't say it's Late due the Power and Performance of the Vehicles Engine.

Funny how all of the other buses were on time?
Site Administrator
(21 Jun 2014, 9:15 pm)Tom wrote Funny how all of the other buses were on time?

I'd agree with Tom here.
I haven't seen any other Toon Links being regulated like 9131 over the past few days... The twenty minute delays are inexcusable.
(21 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Well then I have no idea as why it was Late then, Certainly very strange if all the others were on Time.

You only experienced it on the 31 and 32, yes?
They aren't as demanding as the 11 and 47, therefore you might not have noticed any problems with it?
(21 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Well then I have no idea as why it was Late then, Certainly very strange if all the others were on Time.

Will be interesting to see how it gets on when it moves down to crook the back end of the week, times can be very tight at times.
(21 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm)Tom wrote You only experienced it on the 31 and 32, yes?
They aren't as demanding as the 11 and 47, therefore you might not have noticed any problems with it?

Yeah I used it on the 31/32 and was it, and yeah Tom you most likely correct in myself not noticing any problems with it.
Well put it this way, it's going back to the Palatine 2 to B7TL scenario all over again with Volvo. I certainly don't think that GNE will order it!
(21 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm)Marcus wrote Do you reckon it might make a brief stop at Chester on the way?

Judging by the speed of the thing - if anyone spots it approaching Chester, you will have more than enough time finishing your tea and having a slow walk along to the main road in order to see it Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Jun 2014, 12:50 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Judging by the speed of the thing - if anyone spots it approaching Chester, you will have more than enough time finishing your tea and having a slow walk along to the main road in order to see it Wink

Haha - no doubt it'll appear on Scholars at my school due to being at Chester for maintenance Tongue
(21 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm)Marcus wrote Do you reckon it might make a brief stop at Chester on the way?

No, doubt it'll get used at chester. Judging by posts i cant see it sticking to the same running board all day.
Site Administrator
(22 Jun 2014, 11:28 am)nk55 wrote No, doubt it'll get used at chester. Judging by posts i cant see it sticking to the same running board all day.
It will only be used at Crook on service X21.
I don't even think it will be used on service X46.
(22 Jun 2014, 11:32 am)Dan wrote It will only be used at Crook on service X21.
I don't even think it will be used on service X46.

If it falls on to the board that does the pm X46, it has no choice but to work the X46.
Site Administrator
(22 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm)nk55 wrote If it falls on to the board that does the pm X46, it has no choice but to work the X46.

That's why they'll be told to keep it off that board!

Riverside are limited to a few Toon Link boards which they can allocate 9131 to as well - and as far as I know, these boards avoid variations upon the normal "Toon Link" services (such as the 11A, for example).
Can't see the harm in it being on the board with an X46 run on it. If these vehicles were purchased for the X21, it'd need to do the X46 anyway. So it'd be useful having the performance data in advance.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Jun 2014, 7:37 pm)aureolin wrote Can't see the harm in it being on the board with an X46 run on it. If these vehicles were purchased for the X21, it'd need to do the X46 anyway. So it'd be useful having the performance data in advance.

It's effectively a light run back to the depot anyway, so I can't see it being too much of an issue.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

When 9131 moves over to Crook, id imagine that it will be based at the depot on a Sunday, when the depot isnt in operation due to the X21 falling under the 'Angel' brand and only going as far as Durham before connecting to the 21 and running from Durham to Newcastle like an ordinary 21 weekday journey would. So, my question is, when the depot is closed, what will happen to 9131? Will it just sit in the depot until the next morning and waste a trial day or will they send it down to Chester for the day to operate the Sunday timetable which operates the service between Durham and Spennymoor and compare with the current Angel branded B5s.
(22 Jun 2014, 7:36 pm)Dan wrote That's why they'll be told to keep it off that board!

Riverside are limited to a few Toon Link boards which they can allocate 9131 to as well - and as far as I know, these boards avoid variations upon the normal "Toon Link" services (such as the 11A, for example).

My point being, if it goes out on 1st run out but is late back then its gonna stand for 30 mins before being sent out again, if its then late back again then its 1hr behind the board it started on so in theory it could end up doing the X21/X46 run. And to be fair it'd get a good hill heading up high jobs hill, i know some of the current B7s struggle up.
Site Administrator
(22 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm)Robert wrote When 9131 moves over to Crook, id imagine that it will be based at the depot on a Sunday, when the depot isnt in operation due to the X21 falling under the 'Angel' brand and only going as far as Durham before connecting to the 21 and running from Durham to Newcastle like an ordinary 21 weekday journey would. So, my question is, when the depot is closed, what will happen to 9131? Will it just sit in the depot until the next morning and waste a trial day or will they send it down to Chester for the day to operate the Sunday timetable which operates the service between Durham and Spennymoor and compare with the current Angel branded B5s.

I'd imagine it'll have the day off.

(22 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm)nk55 wrote My point being, if it goes out on 1st run out but is late back then its gonna stand for 30 mins before being sent out again, if its then late back again then its 1hr behind the board it started on so in theory it could end up doing the X21/X46 run. And to be fair it'd get a good hill heading up high jobs hill, i know some of the current B7s struggle up.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Two of the six Pronto boards work onto the evening X46s. I am confident when I say that Crook will be told that they cannot allocate 9131 to these boards. They will be told that it can work any of the four remaining boards that run off onto an X46.

If it works out that 9131 is running late and it has been replaced at Bishop Auckland, it will simply move onto the next board which does not work onto the X46.