You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(24 Jun 2014, 5:28 pm)Racer_Experience wrote i had a convo with a Scott Copper recently about the Tyne Tees Express and he said they should have got a red spare in the 1st place

would make sense to repaint 3941 into red to be used on Tyne Tees Express or Ten saves on using 6071 which is always on there instead of its designated route which is 10/10A/10B

I think most people (Go North East included - not just us enthusiasts) thought that the Volvo B9TLs would be successful on the Tyne Tees Xpress.
Indeed most members of the forum shot me down in flames when I was first sceptical about the Volvo B9TLs, and that must have been in under less than a year of their operation on the TTX? Now it's a completely different story, with most other people having doubts too...

Having a branded spare, Volvo B7TL 3963, was thought to have been enough at the time.

You could argue that GNE had the opportunity to purchase an additional spare vehicle in last year's orders, but I don't think they should have purchased an additional spare vehicle right from the start (after all, who could actually predict before they were first launched on the TTX that they'd be VOR so frequently?)
6101 should be transferred to Riverside with 3963 going the other way to Percy Main, both are now red spares. The spare Geminis are often off route (as they are kind of intended I may add) so B7TL in 3963 isn't that much of an issue and with it not been the branded vehicle (if allocated to CC) people won't expect power sockets in any case. 6116 will now be branded Cobalt Clipper.
Obviously you could argue that in years to come CC/Fab56 may require the B9 spares but GNE need to be proactive in the reliability of TTX.
(24 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm)Dan wrote I think most people (Go North East included - not just us enthusiasts) thought that the Volvo B9TLs would be successful on the Tyne Tees Xpress.
Indeed most members of the forum shot me down in flames when I was first sceptical about the Volvo B9TLs, and that must have been in under less than a year of their operation on the TTX? Now it's a completely different story, with most other people having doubts too...

Having a branded spare, Volvo B7TL 3963, was thought to have been enough at the time.

You could argue that GNE had the opportunity to purchase an additional spare vehicle in last year's orders, but I don't think they should have purchased an additional spare vehicle right from the start (after all, who could actually predict before they were first launched on the TTX that they'd be VOR so frequently?)

Do you have those posts?
Not disputing you by any means, but it would be interesting to see the comments from yourself and others from the time?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 5:57 pm)Drifter60 wrote 6101 should be transferred to Riverside with 3963 going the other way to Percy Main, both are now red spares. The spare Geminis are often off route (as they are kind of intended I may add) so B7TL in 3963 isn't that much of an issue and with it not been the branded vehicle (if allocated to CC) people won't expect power sockets in any case. 6116 will now be branded Cobalt Clipper.
Obviously you could argue that in years to come CC/Fab56 may require the B9 spares but GNE need to be proactive in the reliability of TTX.

I was avoiding this kind of post (which is the reason why I didn't reply to Davey Bowyer's similar post earlier) because I'm not 100% certain on my answer to it.

That being said, as it's been thrown up again...

Each year in the months leading up to July, Go North East submit 'bids' (if you like) to Go-Ahead Group, in which they detail the services they'd like to receive funding for that they want to invest in in that financial year.
This bid, as far as I am aware, has to include the details of the how much profit is generated by the services for which they are to be allocated to, should the investment go ahead. This allows Go-Ahead Group to work out a payback time - how long it will take Go North East to generate the revenue from these vehicles in order to actually pay for them. Other details, such a resultant cascades, may also be included to convince Go-Ahead Group that the services which are being bidded for can justify the investment.
Volvo B9TLs 6101-17 were ordered for the Cobalt Clipper. The payback time would have been calculated on the basis that they will remain on the Cobalt Clipper for x amount of years, expecting to receive y amount of profit in the process. Because of this, it's unlikely that any of these vehicles will move to another depot and play a completely different role in the fleet. The payback time for a spare vehicle on the Cobalt Clipper to the payback time for a spare vehicle on the Tyne Tees Xpress will vary, and it's not what Go-Ahead Group agreed to.
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 6:09 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Do you have those posts?
Not disputing you by any means, but it would be interesting to see the comments from yourself and others from the time?

I'm afraid not, no.
I tried to look through before I posted but there was over 30 pages with 'Tyne Tees Xpress' in the search - and I'm unsure as to whether I actually wrote it in full (often abbreviate it to TTX). I gave up after a few minutes because I thought it was comparable to finding a needle in a haystack.

It was something Liam and I discussed in person and I later decided to broadcast my views on here - but nobody (to my memory) agreed with me, of the people who decided to give their opinions when replying.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:13 pm)Dan wrote I'm afraid not, no.
I tried to look through before I posted but there was over 30 pages with 'Tyne Tees Xpress' in the search - and I'm unsure as to whether I actually wrote it in full (often abbreviate it to TTX). I gave up after a few minutes because I thought it was comparable to finding a needle in a haystack.

It was something Liam and I discussed in person and I later decided to broadcast my views on here - but nobody (to my memory) agreed with me, of the people who decided to give their opinions when replying.

Well that isn't good enough Wink

Any idea when it was?
(24 Jun 2014, 5:57 pm)Drifter60 wrote 6101 should be transferred to Riverside with 3963 going the other way to Percy Main, both are now red spares. The spare Geminis are often off route (as they are kind of intended I may add) so B7TL in 3963 isn't that much of an issue and with it not been the branded vehicle (if allocated to CC) people won't expect power sockets in any case. 6116 will now be branded Cobalt Clipper.

6101 is a Cobalt Clipper and i highly doubt GNE would transfer this bus it is 6 months old and have no plans of repainting it yet unless a big heavy investment for the Cobalt Clipper in the future but certainly not yet probs wait for years then get some 6116 doubt that will be repainted yet and it is also a 6 month old vehicle so doubt it will get repainted yet
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(24 Jun 2014, 6:19 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Well that isn't good enough Wink

Any idea when it was?

Very vague, but it was within a year of them first being launched on the TTX as I said before. If I had a better idea of the date, I'd have had a better idea of finding the posts myself.

It was when we started to see Volvo B7TL 3963 out almost every single day on the TTX, with branded B9TLs being VOR. Olympians were frequently being spotted on the TTX at this time too.
(24 Jun 2014, 6:25 pm)Dan wrote Very vague, but it was within a year of them first being launched on the TTX as I said before. If I had a better idea of the date, I'd have had a better idea of finding the posts myself.

It was when we started to see Volvo B7TL 3963 out almost every single day on the TTX, with branded B9TLs being VOR. Olympians were frequently being spotted on the TTX at this time too.

http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=836&page=8 Found the posts further into the link you pm'd me.
No idea if there are any more.
Hang on just a moment. Why does it have to be Percy Main that have to get the cast off Geminis.

Deptford have got 2 red spare Geminis, why not swap them around. Send 3941/2 to Deptford and 6099/100 to Riverside.

Anyway asides from that.
I tried the B5TL today.

First was on the 31/32 where I caught it as a 31 on Shibdon Bank, then travelled through Winlaton onto Newcastle. Although rattly and uncomfortable as ever it seemed to be getting better at keeping to time. Also it seemed to be coping with the hills better then it did in Edinburgh.

Then I sampled it again on the 47 later on. Boarded it in Teams at 1830 where it was spot on time, and travelled all the way to Blackhall Mill where it arrived a couple of minutes early. After a 15 minute or so layover, return was via the steep bank from Blackhall Mill to Chopwell, and it climbed well, including stopping halfway up to allow a van to pass in the other direction. It ran well at speed and arrived at the Metrocentre on time too, where I alighted.

Another feature I liked on the B5TL was the air chill equipment which kept the bus at a comfortable temperature.

Additionally MPD 547 was on the 47 that operated before 9131. (Departed Blackhall Mill at 1903).
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2014, 8:43 am)Coppercap40 wrote Can anyone help with information as to which Toonlink working the Demonstrator is on today please ?

If it's still at Riverside, it'll be on one of the workings that is given on this post.

If it's not, chances are it's gone to Crook for the Pronto.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2014, 8:46 am)Dan wrote If it's still at Riverside, it'll be on one of the workings that is given on this post.

FTAO: Marcus and anyone else who is in the Chester-le-Street area...

Reported to be arriving at Chester-le-Street tonight - some time after 17:00.
An UN I'd laser citaro has a rear indicator and brake light out.followed it through Cleadon other day.
(25 Jun 2014, 9:19 am)Dan wrote FTAO: Marcus and anyone else who is in the Chester-le-Street area...

So much for it operating on the Toon Link for 2 weeks.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(25 Jun 2014, 11:32 am)GMitchelhill wrote So much for it operating on the Toon Link for 2 weeks.
Before it arrived I suggested two weeks on each, but I've said otherwise ever since it arrived - hence my caption on Flickr has always read 25th June it was due to depart.

Other enthusiasts - primarily those who aren't members of this forum - have spouted out mumbo-jumbo, mind...
(25 Jun 2014, 8:46 am)Dan wrote If it's still at Riverside, it'll be on one of the workings that is given on this post.

Definitely been working for Riverside today - I caught it at 11:38 at Eldon Square on the 11:28 11 service, and alighted at Crawcrook at 12:15, 17 minutes late. Still rattly and uncomfortable, and the driver had to open the doors using the emergency switch. It's probably been changed over now.

It was fine, performance-wise on the flat, but the bus was less than a third full.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2014, 1:27 pm)missedbus wrote Definitely been working for Riverside today - I caught it at 11:38 at Eldon Square on the 11:28 11 service, and alighted at Crawcrook at 12:15, 17 minutes late. Still rattly and uncomfortable, and the driver had to open the doors using the emergency switch. It's probably been changed over now.

It was fine, performance-wise on the flat, but the bus was less than a third full.
Parked at Riverside now.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm)Dan wrote Parked at Riverside now.
And has now gone back out in service - is on the 1503 47 from Metrocentre.
Already six minutes late and counting...
(25 Jun 2014, 9:19 am)Dan wrote FTAO: Marcus and anyone else who is in the Chester-le-Street area...

Cheers, Dan.

I'll try and catch a glimpse later on. Is it going to Crook at some point later on, or tomorrow?

I'll try and work out it's boards if I see it out and about within the coming days so if anyone wants photos I'll have times Smile (even though RGR756V can probably tell us before!)
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm)Marcus wrote Cheers, Dan.

I'll try and catch a glimpse later on. Is it going to Crook at some point later on, or tomorrow?

I'll try and work out it's boards if I see it out and about within the coming days so if anyone wants photos I'll have times Smile (even though RGR756V can probably tell us before!)
Well it was meant to arrive at Chester for a brief check tonight and transferred to Crook ready for service tomorrow, but as it's been put back on the Toon Link again (having earlier been removed from service), god knows what's happening.
(25 Jun 2014, 3:29 pm)Dan wrote Well it was meant to arrive at Chester for a brief check tonight and transferred to Crook ready for service tomorrow, but as it's been put back on the Toon Link again (having earlier been removed from service), god knows what's happening.

That's the problem I think with having a demonstrator on various services.
Decided to get on the 15:05 73 from Sunderland to Washington Galleries this Afternoon, and I made some notes throughout the Journey of the Passenger Numbers for those who are Interested.

Sunderland Interchange - Departed with 10 Passengers
Enterprise Park - 1 off 3 on - 12 Passengers
Timber Reach Road - 2 off - 10 Passengers
Castletown - 5 off - 5 Passengers
Waterview Park (First Time) 4 Passengers on - 9 Passengers
Peel Retail Park (First Time) 1 Passenger off - 8 Passengers
Sulgrave (First Time) 1 off 4 on - 11 Passengers
Concord (First Time) 3 on - 14 Passengers
Coach Road - 8 off 5 on - 11 Passengers (Almost had a Heart Attack)
Concord (Second Time) - 3 off - 8 Passengers
Waterview Park (Second Time) - 1 off 2 on - 9 Passengers
Teal Farm - 4 off 1 on - 6 Passengers
Biddick - 1 off - 5 Passengers
Washington Galleries - 5 off - End of Journey

Also noticed that when Departing Park Lane that it took 73 the same amount of time as either 6099/6100 on the 56 to get to Concord, but despite that I still think the Service could be greatly improved.
(25 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Decided to get on the 15:05 73 from Sunderland to Washington Galleries this Afternoon, and I made some notes throughout the Journey of the Passenger Numbers for those who are Interested.

Also noticed that when Departing Park Lane that it took 73 the same amount of time as either 6099/6100 on the 56 to get to Concord, but despite that I still think the Service could be greatly improved.

That's not bad numbers at all.

Should try and compare it to a journey between 11-12.

Just thinking with Sunderland Uni/NEXUS putting the 700 on a Sunday for the Summer (starts at 1040 and finishes at 17:10, every 30 minutes), i wonder if this could be done during the Uni year to.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Decided to get on the 15:05 73 from Sunderland to Washington Galleries this Afternoon, and I made some notes throughout the Journey of the Passenger Numbers for those who are Interested.

It's being replaced by another company in the July changes. I'm surprised at 14 passengers being the most, didn't think it would be as many!
(25 Jun 2014, 4:51 pm)BJ10VUS wrote It's being replaced by another company in the July changes. I'm surprised at 14 passengers being the most, didn't think it would be as many!

Same here, but how many of those Passengers were Fare Paying Passengers though as I know wasn't as I used my Key Card, admittedly I didn't pay any attention to that at all.

For that Journey Alone there was an Average of 8 Passengers, and I honestly think from using it Today, and this is despite GNE losing the 73 that it could be Operated Commercially, with a few Tweaks to the Route and some Advertising on Facebook etc it could be a Success.
(25 Jun 2014, 4:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Same here, but how many of those Passengers were Fare Paying Passengers though as I know wasn't as I used my Key Card, admittedly I didn't pay any attention to that at all.

For that Journey Alone there was an Average of 8 Passengers, and I honestly think from using it Today, and this is despite GNE losing the 73 that it could be Operated Commercially, with a few Tweaks to the Route and some Advertising on Facebook etc it could be a Success.

Not sure why it has to go to Concord Bus station twice within 8 minutes, same goes to other parts of the routes.

It was a good idea from NEXUS to extend it to Washington Galleries, it might benefit from going through Southwick or past the Hospital in Sunderland to/from Park Lane, it will add more time on to route.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.