You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(05 Jul 2014, 4:52 pm)Dan wrote I'm confused - what are you getting at here?

Did you read this post, including the quote?

Yeah, read the quotes.
When the bids were put in for the BSOG support, Go North East Ltd AND Go Northern Ltd received different pots of money.

From what I can remember, there is a split - with Chester and other 'southern' depots being Go Northern Ltd and the remaining being Go North East Ltd.

With the 'northern' depots removing their readers, I was trying to clarify if they are the Go North East Ltd sites and if there was any correlation/pattern.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Yeah, read the quotes.
When the bids were put in for the BSOG support, Go North East Ltd AND Go Northern Ltd received different pots of money.

From what I can remember, there is a split - with Chester and other 'southern' depots being Go Northern Ltd and the remaining being Go North East Ltd.

With the 'northern' depots removing their readers, I was trying to clarify if they are the Go North East Ltd sites.

According to Wikipedia -

North Division

The North Division (Go North East Ltd.) operate services from five depots in three counties. The division operates many trunk services as well as local services around Gateshead, North Tyneside, West Durham and Southern Northumberland.

Depots are located at:
Sunderland Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear - 'Sunderland Road'
Saltmeadows Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear - 'Saltmeadows'
Rothbury Terrace, Percy Main, Tyne and Wear - 'Percy Main'
Cromwell Place, Winlaton, Tyne and Wear - 'Winlaton'
Tyne Green Lane, Hexham, Northumberland - 'Hexham' formerly Arriva.

South Division

The South Division (Go Northern Ltd.) operates services from four depots in two counties. The division operates many trunk services as well as local services around Sunderland, County Durham and South Tyneside as well as providing National Express services.

Depots are located at:
Picktree Lane, Chester-le-Street, County Durham - 'Chester-le-Street'
Deptford Terrace, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - 'Deptford'
Industrial Road, Hertburn Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear - 'Washington'
High Street, Stanley, County Durham - 'Stanley'
Cook Way, North West Industrial Estate, Peterlee, County Durham - 'Peterlee'

Former depots

High Spen, Tyne and Wear - 'High Spen'
Jarrow Bus Station, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear - 'Jarrow' (Merged with South Shields)
Park Lane, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - 'Park Lane' (Merged with Philadelphia and moved to Deptford)
Philadelphia, Tyne and Wear - 'Philadelphia' (Merged with Park Lane and moved to Deptford)
Lady's Walk, South Shields, Tyne and Wear - 'South Shields' (Merged with Deptford)
Bondgate, Bishop Auckland, County Durham - 'Bishop Auckland' (Sold to Arriva, flagsip services transferred to Chester-le-Street)
Unit 7 Jubilee Industrial Estate, Ashington, Northumberland (Sold to Arriva in exchange for Hexham Depot)
Hadrian Road, Wallsend, Services merged with Percy Main
I think they need the readers. Look at the two scenarios:

GNE with readers: Pass holder comes on (1sec), scans pass and machine beeps (1 sec), ticket prints (1 sec), passholder takes ticket (1 sec) total = 5 seconds

Arriva with no readers: Pass holder comes on (1 sec), pass is put on top of reader and lets go (1 sec), light goes from Orange (2 sec), ticket prints (2 sec), pass holder takes ticket (1 sec), pass holder then takes pass from on top of TGX200 (1 sec) total = 7 seconds

I know the difference is marginal but at peak times, every second counts. Those two seconds could be the difference between the driver closing the doors and leaving on time or; someone legging it at the last moment with a 20 quid note for a £1.50 fare making the bus even more late.

With the 'northern' depots removing their readers, I was trying to clarify if they are the Go North East Ltd sites and if there was any correlation/pattern.
[/quote]

Go North East Ltd (North Division):-

Riverside, Percy Main & Saltmeadows.

Go Northern Ltd (South Division):-

Deptford, Peterlee, Washington & Chester le Street.

Stanley/Consett are manged by Go Northern Ltd, but buses are operated on Go North East Ltd discs.
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Yeah, read the quotes.

As you say, both divisions received grants to install external card readers, so the removal of the external card readers cannot be linked to the grants given.

The reason why they would have been given different grants would have surely been down to the amount of vehicles in each division's fleet?

I really think aureolin is probably on the right lines with it just being a trial to see the differences between having external card readers and not having them.
(05 Jul 2014, 5:12 pm)park5354 wrote Go North East Ltd (North Division):-

Stanley/Consett are manged by Go Northern Ltd, but buses are operated on Go North East Ltd discs.

Cheers, thanks for clarifying.
No idea if it is connected to the removal of readers or not mind.

(05 Jul 2014, 5:18 pm)Dan wrote As you say, both divisions received grants to install external card readers, so the removal of the external card readers cannot be linked to the grants given.

The reason why they would have been given different grants would have surely been down to the amount of vehicles in each division's fleet?

I really think aureolin is probably on the right lines with it just being a trial to see the differences between having external card readers and not having them.

Or, because they are classed as different Ltd companies?
Even on VOSA stuff, the southern division are classed as Go Northern Ltd (T/A Go North East).

Aureolin may be right, but I am starting to wonder if the north division (Go North East Ltd) have received funding and are installing new kit.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.u...ntives.pdf

Page 6 outlines the subsidies available at the time.
Cant find more recent data.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(05 Jul 2014, 5:12 pm)park5354 wrote From what I can remember, there is a split - with Chester and other 'southern' depots being Go Northern Ltd and the remaining being Go North East Ltd.

Go North East Ltd (North Division):-

[/quote]

Out of interest, why is GNE Split up as Go Northern Ltd and Go North East Ltd...I always thought they were all merged under one banner after the days of Coastline, Northern, Wear Buses etc
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2014, 5:25 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Or, because they are classed as different Ltd companies?
Even on VOSA stuff, the southern division are classed as Go Northern Ltd (T/A Go North East).

Aureolin may be right, but I am starting to wonder if the north division (Go North East Ltd) have received funding and are installing new kit.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.u...ntives.pdf

Page 6 outlines the subsidies available at the time.
Cant find more recent data.

Ah right, I'm with you now.

Entirely possible I guess, but I don't think there's any major issues with the current kit - so don't really see the point in replacing it. If they managed to fix the communication issues that some of the external card readers are having with the ETMs, they'd work fine.

I'd assume if they were being replaced, they'd at least try and receive funding for both - especially if it means completely different kit would be installed.

Seems pointless to me replacing something if it doesn't need replacing. Even if they do receive funding, they have to fork out some of the cash themselves.
(05 Jul 2014, 5:33 pm)Dan wrote Ah right, I'm with you now.

Entirely possible I guess, but I don't think there's any major issues with the current kit - so don't really see the point in replacing it. If they managed to fix the communication issues that some of the external card readers are having with the ETMs, they'd work fine.

I'd assume if they were being replaced, they'd at least try and receive funding for both - especially if it means completely different kit would be installed.

Seems pointless to me replacing something if it doesn't need replacing. Even if they do receive funding, they have to fork out some of the cash themselves.

Could be miles off, it just seems strange the Go North East Ltd depots are the ones to have had their machines removed.

Where is Citaro5284? Wink
The Volvo BL5 would be a good purchase for GNE but problem is where there there gonna put them on what routes route needs to be updated is X21 them vehicles do look rather old more old but they have had a refurbishment since they came up while they got refurbished they had there middle door took out and them vehicle looks too tired a Gemini 3 would last for hours (am not talking about that John Young, Gus Grissom Mission)
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(05 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)Racer_Experience wrote The Volvo BL5 would be a good purchase for GNE but problem is where there there gonna put them on what routes route needs to be updated is X21 them vehicles do look rather old more old but they have had a refurbishment since they came up while they got refurbished they had there middle door took out and them vehicle looks too tired a Gemini 3 would last for hours (am not talking about that John Young, Gus Grissom Mission)

Take a read through the 2013-2014 Order Predictions thread. :p
(05 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)Racer_Experience wrote The Volvo BL5 would be a good purchase for GNE but problem is where there there gonna put them on what routes route needs to be updated is X21 them vehicles do look rather old more old but they have had a refurbishment since they came up while they got refurbished they had there middle door took out and them vehicle looks too tired a Gemini 3 would last for hours (am not talking about that John Young, Gus Grissom Mission)

Random nonsense thought...

How about BL5's for the 21 then cascade some Hybrids to the X21.
(05 Jul 2014, 11:17 am)Michael wrote I'm sure stagecoach have a massive % in ADL... I'm not sure so don't quote me on it so i wonder if that's why GNE are hasty on buying Enviro's.

Without going off topic too much, I believe the Stagecoach group has no shares in ADL, but Souter Investments, a private equity firm with Sir Brian Souter as company director, does. Souter Investments also hold shares in Virgin Mobile (not UK), Polskibus, an Irish education publisher and the well known Go-Compare, along with others.
Site Administrator
(06 Jul 2014, 8:26 am)morritt89 wrote Spot the error.
Yup, just one of about a thousand mistakes with these new timetables.

It was commendable that Nexus added the brand names, but they didn't do a very good job of it.

Took a while to spot it!

Wonder why it has happened?
RE: Go North East - Latestr
I think that with the exception of the TTX that the new ADL E400 MMC with the integral chassis / engine (Cummins) may be the best buy for GNE. I know that I have mentioned a B8TL chassis for the TEN and Red Arrows lately but that would simply be for the sake of ensuring that enough orders would be secured to keep the TTX high powered and preferably more reliable. If the setup is right on the ISBe unit and well maintained, they can be very reliable and I think ADL must have taken that into account.
(05 Jul 2014, 11:41 pm)cumbria0902150 wrote Without going off topic too much, I believe the Stagecoach group has no shares in ADL, but Souter Investments, a private equity firm with Sir Brian Souter as company director, does. Souter Investments also hold shares in Virgin Mobile (not UK), Polskibus, an Irish education publisher and the well known Go-Compare, along with others.

Thanks for the info, thought they did.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Declining standards again; the design of these Nexus bus stop timetables is inferior to the previous version and more difficult to understand. I think all bus stops, not just Nexus, would be better with just a copy if the actual timetable with the nearest appropriate stop time highlighted (the previous actual timing point if that stop isn't an official timing point), especially when bus stops show invented times for each stop whereas drivers are working just to the main timing points in the timetable. I've seen stops where the time shown is two or three minutes later than the actual time the bus would pass the stop if it's running according to the company's timetable. It's also nonsense that Nexus have a separate section for each sub-route, eg 35, 35A, 35B, 35C, etc. However even the Nexus stops are better than Durham's where only the destination of the bus and (often 5 min out) time are given, with no route details shown. But actual full route timetables would be much better.
Going back to the x9/10 debate and suitable vehicles...

Just been on Ensign, to see if there were any pictures of the new Stanley vehicles.
There weren't, but Ensign do have some old Megabus stock.

http://www.ensignbus.com/neoplan-skyliner-2005.html

Pretty sure the vehicles aren't wheelchair accessible, which is the only downside (maybe apart from the vehicle having a toilet).
Capacity is good, the engine suitable for the a19 etc

The design still looks modern and with one of the cherished plates stuck on, passengers would be non the wiser.
(06 Jul 2014, 11:18 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Going back to the x9/10 debate and suitable vehicles...

Just been on Ensign, to see if there were any pictures of the new Stanley vehicles.
There weren't, but Ensign do have some old Megabus stock.

I suggested something similar to the Oxford Tube stock but was dismissed like a DAF
(06 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm)gtom wrote I suggested something similar to the Oxford Tube stock but was dismissed like a DAF

I think it's down to the cost of them. Was it £10m for 26 new vehicles in that article? So about £385,000 a piece. I do think the X9/X10 needs something like that though, and I would hope the usable life would be twice that of a B9TL.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm)gtom wrote I suggested something similar to the Oxford Tube stock but was dismissed like a DAF

Speaking of Oxford Tube and Neopolan Skyliners, here is KP04 GKN at The Stadium of Light for North East Live on 22/06/2014
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalarkey/14579171071/

If I was going to Buy Coaches for the X9/X10, I'd buy Plaxton Elite i's or a Van Hool of some form, but I think we'd be more likely to see Tri-Axle Caetano Levante castoffs from National Express.
(26 Jun 2014, 6:07 am)nk55 wrote Website says "changes to some early saturday journeys", nowt about being withdrawn.

I suppose it's easier to avoid telling people directly what's being withdrawn though. From what I can see:

Monday-Friday
  • 0630 starting from Downhill to the Enterprise Park is withdrawn.
  • 0828 starting from Newcastle is retimed to start at 0832, but is now curtailed to Sunderland Interchange
  • 4 journeys instead of 6 now running to the Enterprise Park on a morning.

Saturday
  • 0840 starting from Newcastle no longer runs, and is replaced by an
  • 0902 start from Boldon Cineworld.
  • 0837 starting from Sunderland Interchange towards Newcastle is removed
  • 0807 starting from Sunderland Interchange towards Newcastle is retimed to start at 0750.

Whilst I'm not arguing for or against the logic of removing any of these journeys/retiming them/etc, surely full details of the changes should be published? I really don't think "A small number of Monday to Friday journeys operating before 9am are slightly retimed" or "There are some changes to journeys early on a Saturday morning due to low passenger numbers" does the changes justice.
Small changes has been the en vogue word for GNE to use when they really mean 'cancelling stuff'

They've been doing it for at least 2 years now
(06 Jul 2014, 5:07 pm)gtom wrote Small changes has been the en vogue word for GNE to use when they really mean 'cancelling stuff'

They've been doing it for at least 2 years now
Which is a shame. It comes across the wrong way.