You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Dear Uncle Nick
Partly inspired by the channel 4 teletext page of the same name, which was popular many moons ago - here is a problem page.

Problems can be real, made up relating to yourself or relating to a 'friend'.
Hopefully the answers provided can help us through the muddles of everyday life.

A mate is off to a friends housewarming party this weekend.
That sounds pretty innocuous - but he has become 'friendly' with a mutual female friend.
That mutual friend, will also be at the party.

One or two people have their suspicions, regarding the 'friends with benefits' relationship. Others are totally oblivious - but the two in question are unsure how to approach things.

Do they behave in an up-front fashion, do they play things under the carpet or do they pretend they don't know each other?
The male and female in question only met a month or so ago, when introduced by the married couple.

Any advice would be appreciated, cos I haven't got a clue what to tell them.
I will also be at this housewarming, so being in the know - I am aware of how awkward things could be.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
RE: Dear Uncle Nick
(09 Jul 2014, 9:16 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Partly inspired by the channel 4 teletext page of the same name, which was popular many moons ago - here is a problem page.

Problems can be real, made up relating to yourself or relating to a 'friend'.
Hopefully the answers provided can help us through the muddles of everyday life.

Any advice would be appreciated, cos I haven't got a clue what to tell them.
I will also be at this housewarming, so being in the know - I am aware of how awkward things could be.

If the married couple who introduced the male and female in question are going to be at this housewarming, it would be silly for the male and female to pretend not to know each other as other people are obviously in the know.

If the relationship is a casual 'friends with benefits' situation, presuming both parties are not involved in other committed relationships, then I really don't see what the problem is.

People will talk, gossip and speculate regardless of whether they're open about the relationship. So my advice would be to act normally (or as normal as one can be), go to this party with your regular group of friends and treat it like any other party. If the opportunity arises to interact with one another then do so on a casual, non-intimate basis which doesn't cause either party to be uncomfortable. If both parties are comfortable with being with one another, then do what what you want!

At the end of the day who cares!
(09 Jul 2014, 11:12 am)AdamY wrote If the married couple who introduced the male and female in question are going to be at this housewarming, it would be silly for the male and female to pretend not to know each other as other people are obviously in the know.

If the relationship is a casual 'friends with benefits' situation, presuming both parties are not involved in other committed relationships, then I really don't see what the problem is.

People will talk, gossip and speculate regardless of whether they're open about the relationship. So my advice would be to act normally (or as normal as one can be), go to this party with your regular group of friends and treat it like any other party. If the opportunity arises to interact with one another then do so on a casual, non-intimate basis which doesn't cause either party to be uncomfortable. If both parties are comfortable with being with one another, then do what what you want!

At the end of the day who cares!

He is single and she is a recent divorcee apparently.
I have only met the lass once or twice myself - but my mate is worried about keeping things sweet with her and everyone else.

Aye, it is the married couples housewarming.

The lads are all long term friends of Mr Married Couple, with most of the lasses being old friends of Mrs Married Couple.

I tend to agree with you, but have no idea how comfortable they are with the situation.

Will ask Mrs Constantopolous for a females perspective, to see what she thinks.
(09 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote He is single and she is a recent divorcee apparently.
I have only met the lass once or twice myself - but my mate is worried about keeping things sweet with her and everyone else.

Aye, it is the married couples housewarming.

The lads are all long term friends of Mr Married Couple, with most of the lasses being old friends of Mrs Married Couple.

I tend to agree with you, but have no idea how comfortable they are with the situation.

Will ask Mrs Constantopolous for a females perspective, to see what she thinks.

Then, as women love to matchmake, it is possible that they would be getting pushed in each other direction if they didn't already know each other.

If neither of them are comfortable with the situation, treat it like any other party like I suggested. Be cordial, but cool, with one another without causing any drama.
(09 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm)AdamY wrote Then, as women love to matchmake, it is possible that they would be getting pushed in each other direction if they didn't already know each other.

If neither of them are comfortable with the situation, treat it like any other party like I suggested. Be cordial, but cool, with one another without causing any drama.

Probably right with that!

If anyone else has problems they wish to share - for a friend, a 'friend' or themselves, please feel free to add it to the forum!