You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(20 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Went back to Lothian for a Week, and is now with Brighton and Hove

Does it belong to Lothian - or is it a demonstrator?
Site Administrator
(20 Jul 2014, 8:02 pm)G-CPTN wrote Does it belong to Lothian - or is it a demonstrator?

It's on a long term demonstration period to Lothian Buses, which is why the vehicle is painted in Lothian's corporate livery and, exterior-wise, is to Lothian's specification.

As there only seems to be one B5TL demonstration vehicle for the entire UK (in the form of BF63HDC), I believe that Volvo are having to ask Lothian to take some time out of its demonstration period for other operators to have a go - given that Lothian have already had a successful trial and placed an order as a result, whilst other operators won't wish to 'buy blind'.

I think, once it's finished its long term demonstration period with Lothian Buses, they will probably end up buying it at a discounted price - obviously they'll have to convert it to their interior specification which will come at a cost.
Note that Lothian will be purchasing B5TL vehicles with the glass panel exactly like 286, which further suggests this too.
(20 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm)BJ10VUS wrote I'm guessing it's the same route? I know a return on the old X3 used to be £4.40 from Sunderland to Newcastle, with it being £5 and something on the 56.

Not sure though, because surely if you get a return on the 21 from Gateshead to Newcastle, you'd be able to come back on the 28/A, X1, X9/X10, X36 etc?

I asked the driver when i got on the 45/46 if i could use it and he wasnt too sure, he checked the price of there return ticket and he said because it was the same price it was fine, as longs I got off the stop it says, which was the last stop of the route anyways, so was all good Smile

I missed the last X71 as for some reason my brain decided to read the Saturday timetable and not the sunday one.
(20 Jul 2014, 4:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote No Idea, I will that to Thorntons of Ashington to figure out.

TTX Olympian

Haha, looks ace! Would give the B9 a good run for its money and have the B5 for dinner!
I'd say that unless GNE get a good deal and Volvo / Wrights remain loyal to GNE, the MMC could be the way forward. Take this for example:

- Cobalt (15+2), Fab 56 (15+2), Crusader (14+2) and Angel (18+2) = 70 ADL Integrals and then if a good relationship between ADL and GNE forms...........

- TTX (7), TEN (14), Riverside Spare (2), Hexham Spare (1) and Red Arrows (14+2) = 41 ADL Volvo B8's
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(20 Jul 2014, 9:29 pm)aureolin wrote Maybe we can jump into this timewarp and get some nationals instead of Citaros for the Lime...

It ain't going to happen.

Best bus ever in my opinion
Site Administrator
Merit 8266 is said to have been branded at Riverside last night, and is indeed out in service today.
Banned
(21 Jul 2014, 6:28 am)Dan wrote Merit 8266 is said to have been branded at Riverside last night, and is indeed out in service today.

Will look for it today.
(21 Jul 2014, 6:28 am)Dan wrote Merit 8266 is said to have been branded at Riverside last night, and is indeed out in service today.

Hopefully it looks good!

Should have its own tab on the GNE site in about 3 months...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
5242 has an awful rattle seemingly coming from the rear axle whe to come when turning corners. It sounds like the wheel is about come off! Other passengers on the bus commented on the noise too.

Also, noticed that service S1 has received Metrocentre branding.
(21 Jul 2014, 9:00 am)AdamY wrote 5242 has an awful rattle seemingly coming from the rear axle whe to come when turning corners. It sounds like the wheel is about come off! Other passengers on the bus commented on the noise too.

Also, noticed that service S1 has received Metrocentre branding.

Is it any good?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Go North East
2 mins ·
Due to increased traffic congestion in Sunderland, northbound services are currently unable to serve stops at Holmeside and Fawcett Street.

I wonder if this is to do with the buildings getting knocked down on Holmeside.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(21 Jul 2014, 9:03 am)Michael wrote Is it any good?

Average!

It has a white base with gold 'Metrocentre' lettering IIRC. There may have also been a picture of balloons on the vinyl. I didn't really take much notice to be honest.

On another note, I'm currently on my way down to Middlesbrough travelling on the TEN-branded 6071 on service X10.

Is this rare?
(21 Jul 2014, 9:17 am)AdamY wrote Average!

It has a white base with gold 'Metrocentre' lettering IIRC. There may have also been a picture of balloons on the vinyl. I didn't really take much notice to be honest.

On another note, I'm currently on my way down to Middlesbrough travelling on the TEN-branded 6071 on service X10.

Is this rare?

Ughhhhhhh they could of being more adventurous
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(21 Jul 2014, 9:19 am)Michael wrote Ughhhhhhh they could of being more adventurous

It's probably a bit better than I describe as I'm going off memory (I saw the vehicle for like 10 seconds!). There's also a giant 'S1' vinyl on the side of the vehicle - also in white.
(21 Jul 2014, 9:17 am)AdamY wrote Average!

Is this rare?

6071 on the TTX is almost regular.
5241 appears to have an intermittent fault with the front destination display where the destination and points along the route appear on the screen but the route number fails to appear. First noticed it last Wednesday and it was still the same yesterday.
.jpg P7200017.jpg
.jpg P7200007.jpg
.jpg P7200006.jpg
WTX 5335 is making a weird hissing sound on its journey on service X7 towards Sunderland. It seems to subside when reaching a certain speed/gear. Does this happen on any other Mercedes Citaro bus?
ISTR hearing this sound (compressor air system pressure venting) when the Citaros were operating on the TEN and being told it was 'normal' (as a retired vehicle engineer I didn't agree).

The system should vent when it reaches full pressure, but (in my experience) isn't normally so audible unless there is a fault. Not all Citaros made this noise, otherwise I would have accepted that it was normal.

This noise was around the nearside front wheel, so probably something to do with the kneeling function.
Site Administrator
For the record, every bus I've travelled on today which is facing service changes on 27th July, has carried notices detailing the service changes - including the same information as is on the website.

At least the young lasses in Gateshead will be able to get home alright (providing they either read the website, Social Media pages or the notice boards on buses, that is)...!
(21 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm)G-CPTN wrote ISTR hearing this sound (compressor air system pressure venting) when the Citaros were operating on the TEN and being told it was 'normal' (as a retired vehicle engineer I didn't agree).
The system should vent when it reaches full pressure, but (in my experience) isn't normally so audible unless there is a fault. Not all Citaros made this noise, otherwise I would have accepted that it was normal.
This noise was around the nearside front wheel, so probably something to do with the kneeling function.

GNE 6081 was making the same chuffing sound from the area around the nearside front wheel whilst waiting on the stand at Hexham at 14:20 today.
As I want to go out for a photo sometime, can someone tell me the Chester operated Gateshead services, and what they interwork with etc.
Also, is the 937 supported by Nexus? - I presumed all workers services were, but that one does not say anything on the timetable.