You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(17 Jul 2014, 7:17 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote T1 - Durham Cathedral - Durham Bus Station - Beamish - Angel of the North - Gateshead Interchange - The Sage - Baltic - Newcastle City Centre Circular

This just wouldn't be allowed to happen at the Newcastle end. Mainly because the council are VERY prescriptive over what buses they allow to use Dean Street (basically just the Quaylink). GNE once tried to route commercial services this way and were soon told where to go!
(17 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm)markydh wrote This just wouldn't be allowed to happen at the Newcastle end. Mainly because the council are VERY prescriptive over what buses they allow to use Dean Street (basically just the Quaylink). GNE once tried to route commercial services this way and were soon told where to go!

Yeah i remember that. It seemed to be just the 'X' prefix services that went via Gateshead that were tried (X3, X30/X31 etc.). Went down onto the Quayside across the Swing Bridge then up Dean Street and Grey Street then onto Grainger Street onto Pilgrim Street then onto Blackett Street as normal i believe.
(18 Jul 2014, 7:29 am)Robert wrote Yeah i remember that. It seemed to be just the 'X' prefix services that went via Gateshead that were tried (X3, X30/X31 etc.). Went down onto the Quayside across the Swing Bridge then up Dean Street and Grey Street then onto Grainger Street onto Pilgrim Street then onto Blackett Street as normal i believe.

It was when the works were going on, on the High Level.
Never got to sample it.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Jul 2014, 2:06 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It was when the works were going on, on the High Level.
Never got to sample it.

The X68 went from Tynemouth to MetroCentre via Newcastle Quayside back in 2007
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/GoNo...er2007.pdf

To be honest though my suggestion wouldn't any difference to Services which currently run along the Quayside, as mentioned above, it partially replaces the Q1.
I reckon this could work for the Chester services:

I know the 13 isn't a very good performer at the moment. However, to also replace the 204, it could be extended to Sherburn Village, at a hourly frequency. These services would only require a two buses, and could use MPDs from Peterlee. I also think the 238 should be withdrawn, and the 71 extended to Seaham, and operating to a reduced 60 minute frequency.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm)Tom wrote I reckon this could work for the Chester services:

I know the 13 isn't a very good performer at the moment. However, to also replace the 204, it could be extended to Sherburn Village, at a hourly frequency. These services would only require a two buses, and could use MPDs from Peterlee. I also think the 238 should be withdrawn, and the 71 extended to Seaham, and operating to a reduced 60 minute frequency.

I reckon if that were to happen, and the 13 and 14 were to merge into one service that stopped in all villages/points that both routes do now, it could possibly compete with Arriva's 64.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm)Marcus wrote I reckon if that were to happen, and the 13 and 14 were to merge into one service that stopped in all villages/points that both routes do now, it could possibly compete with Arriva's 64.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:35 pm)Marcus wrote It could backfire though - the locals on the Sherburn - Arnison Centre section of the route might do an 'OK1 vs X1' with it and stick to what they have done for years.

Hmm I suppose - do you have any other ideas to make the 13 more popular.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:35 pm)Tom wrote Hmm I suppose - do you have any other ideas to make the 13 more popular.

If I was them - concentrate on the 14, it seems to bring in the most profit, and the 13 misses out the Arnison Centre, which in my opinion is the link that makes the 14 survive. They could however, concentrate on the actual shopping area themselves. You know how the 50 goes nowhere near the main stores, but the 14 does? - I'm positive loads of people get sick of walking with bags of shopping. If GNE had the 13 swing around past there as well, and if there was a 30 minute frequency the public will have a 2 buses an hour to Durham - I reckon that could be profitable.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(22 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm)Tom wrote I reckon this could work for the Chester services:

Sure something like this was suggested a few years ago, when the 65 became Chester operated, a rumour went round the 13/14/65 would merge with a 30 minute frequency across the route...

As for the 71, interesting suggestion, how about introducing a 71A and send both to Dalton Park

From Houghton it would be:

71: Seaton Lane-Mill Inn-Station Road-Byron Place-Fox Cover-Dalton Park

71A: Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park

Have it as a circular with it going back in the opposite direction

Saw it a few times today and had decent loads!
Maybe it hit on lucky in front of a 4, who knows. Should last the rest of the week and be in profit off those runs Wink

I think the 13 looses out as it doesn't get into the bus station - picking up on North Road (like the 14 and 64), but without the advantage of going to the Arnison Centre.
If they did go into the bus station, then they could pick up passengers intending to get an x2, 21 etc.

The cross-Durham links are catered for and traffic wont lend itself to improve reliability.

Sacriston is pretty much covered with the 43/44 for runs into Durham too.

As an off the top of the head idea:-
Operate the 13/14 as some sort of circular service.

14 - into Durham as current route and out via Nevilles Cross and then via the faster 15 route towards Kaysburn, before heading into Langley Park.
13 - In reverse.

Quicker links to/from Langley Park and current links maintained (Findon Hill etc still have 43/44).

Or...
x25 route from Chester to Sacriston cross roads, then 14 route to Durham and then via Nevilles Cross to Langley Park.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:39 pm)Marcus wrote If I was them - concentrate on the 14, it seems to bring in the most profit, and the 13 misses out the Arnison Centre, which in my opinion is the link that makes the 14 survive. They could however, concentrate on the actual shopping area themselves. You know how the 50 goes nowhere near the main stores, but the 14 does? - I'm positive loads of people get sick of walking with bags of shopping. If GNE had the 13 swing around past there as well, and if there was a 30 minute frequency the public will have a 2 buses an hour to Durham - I reckon that could be profitable.

Maybe they could scrap the 13 and have a new service between Chester-le-Street and Durham, calling at the X25 stops to Witton Gilbert, then via the 13 route to Durham, with the X25 reducing to hourly, as to be fair, it doesn't really need a half-hourly service. Then the M2/M3 could be revised. They would operate as present, but extend from Birtley to Urpeth then replace the 34 between there and Waldridge Park. An new M3X would be introduced, hourly, between Chester and Coach Road Estate. It would operate via Portmeads, Ayton, Lambton, Washington, Teal Farm, Peel and Concord. M2/M3 would be shared between Washington and Chester, with the M3X being operated by Chester.
(22 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm)Tom wrote Maybe they could scrap the 13 and have a new service between Chester-le-Street and Durham, calling at the X25 stops to Witton Gilbert, then via the 13 route to Durham, with the X25 reducing to hourly, as to be fair, it doesn't really need a half-hourly service. Then the M2/M3 could be revised. They would operate as present, but extend from Birtley to Urpeth then replace the 34 between there and Waldridge Park. An new M3X would be introduced, hourly, between Chester and Coach Road Estate. It would operate via Portmeads, Ayton, Lambton, Washington, Teal Farm, Peel and Concord. M2/M3 would be shared between Washington and Chester, with the M3X being operated by Chester.

I must say, I do miss the M3 in Chester, would be nice if it did return.
Site Administrator
(22 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm)Marcus wrote XM3, then? Tongue

I don't really like the M2A to be honest - anything with letters in or an 'X' at the end doesn't like right to me.

Even worse.

A letter - number - letter just doesn't work for me at all. I can handle letter - letter - number (i.e. RM1, RM2) but letters in general are just awful as route numbers. :p
(22 Jul 2014, 4:55 pm)Tom wrote Maybe they could scrap the 13 and have a new service between Chester-le-Street and Durham, calling at the X25 stops to Witton Gilbert, then via the 13 route to Durham, with the X25 reducing to hourly, as to be fair, it doesn't really need a half-hourly service. Then the M2/M3 could be revised. They would operate as present, but extend from Birtley to Urpeth then replace the 34 between there and Waldridge Park. An new M3X would be introduced, hourly, between Chester and Coach Road Estate. It would operate via Portmeads, Ayton, Lambton, Washington, Teal Farm, Peel and Concord. M2/M3 would be shared between Washington and Chester, with the M3X being operated by Chester.

How about X3 instead of M3X Wink
(22 Jul 2014, 5:36 pm)Dan wrote Even worse.

A letter - number - letter just doesn't work for me at all. I can handle letter - letter - number (i.e. RM1, RM2) but letters in general are just awful as route numbers. :p

Arriva's X3a must confuse you then :p Although I prefer Arriva's use of smallcase suffix letters on the timetables (shame they can't follow that onto the destination screens - not like they can't).
Site Administrator
(22 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Arriva's X3a must confuse you then :p Although I prefer Arriva's use of smallcase suffix letters on the timetables (shame they can't follow that onto the destination screens - not like they can't).

Oh it's not confusing, it just looks absolutely dreadful.

I've made my views on numbering of services clear in the past though. Would much prefer to see the old 1xx, 2xx, 3xx, 4xx etc system back in place.
(22 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Arriva's X3a must confuse you then :p Although I prefer Arriva's use of smallcase suffix letters on the timetables (shame they can't follow that onto the destination screens - not like they can't).

Darlington depot used to have 13a and 13b in lower case on their LED screens. I hate services that have a capital B in them because its difficult to tell if its a B or 8, eg. Arriva 1B in Bishop Auckland.

Can't stand X3A or X1A it looks awful.
Site Administrator
'X' being used on services which aren't express services irritates me too, and the inconsistency between whether it's the first letter or last letter in the route number.
(22 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)Dan wrote 'X' being used on services which aren't express services irritates me too, and the inconsistency between whether it's the first letter or last letter in the route number.

Anyone who ever got the old X22 in Chester-le-Street wanting to go to Durham will agree with that one.
(22 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)Dan wrote 'X' being used on services which aren't express services irritates me too, and the inconsistency between whether it's the first letter or last letter in the route number.

I know what you mean - the X25 is only limited stop along Old Durham Road, so why the hell do they need to have an X as a prefix when it's only express for a few stops? Angry

Fair enough the X21 is understandable, but sometimes I feel like they can miss out a few stops between Durham and Bishop. The X20 only misses out nPower - I mean come on!

My idea of an express - Newcastle to Durham via the A1 - absolutely non-stop between Eldon Square and Durham Bus Stn.
(22 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm)Jimmi wrote Anyone who ever got the old X22 in Chester-le-Street wanting to go to Durham will agree with that one.

I used to use it every Saturday for about a year - there was one driver, fair enough he was miserable, but damn could he make you laugh! I used to get it back home as well sometimes, and when he was on it and a 'stranger 'round these parts' used to get on and ask 'how long is it on this one to Durham' - dear god his answers though! Tongue

The 50 does the A1 during the day though? Takes what... 15 mins from the Galleries to Chester. Maybe just over 20 from Concord? I don't think an express M3 could compete with those times. I certainly wouldn't fancy sitting on an M3 from the Coach Road, through Concord, Barmston, Glebe, Biddick, Galleries,Lambton, Ayton, Portmeads, etc, when I could catch the half hourly 50?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Jul 2014, 5:50 pm)Marcus wrote I know what you mean - the X25 is only limited stop along Old Durham Road, so why the hell do they need to have an X as a prefix when it's only express for a few stops? Angry

Fair enough the X21 is understandable, but sometimes I feel like they can miss out a few stops between Durham and Bishop. X20 only misses out nPower - I mean come on!

My idea of an express - Newcastle to Durham via the A1 - absolutely non-stop between Eldon Square and Durham Bus Stn.

It serves Npower.
It misses out Gilesgate Bank, West Rainton and East Rainton too.
Between Sunderland and Npower, it is the same route/stopping places as the 20a.

10/15 mins quicker than the other 20's point to point.
(22 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote It serves Npower.
It misses out Gilesgate Bank, West Rainton and East Rainton too.
Between Sunderland and Npower, it is the same route/stopping places as the 20a.

10/15 mins quicker than the other 20's point to point.

Oh, I thought it went through nPower Tongue

Only used it once when there were 3 Prince Bishops turned up in Durham Bus Stn, thought I was on a 20 until I looked at my ticket. I think there may have been some kind of diversion at the time.
I would like to see a service from Hartlepool to Newcastle again after all GNE had two off them at one point so how about something like the old X5 so Hartlepool- Blackhall- Horden then X35 route to Easington then none stop to Washington Galleries - Gateshead - Newcastle. I think if advertised properly an hourly service could work