You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 6:56 pm)col87 wrote Well living in Hartlepool theres only Stagecoach I can use. I do like the Go North east buses though when I have been to Newcastle.

I thought Arriva had a service from Hartlepool to Durham, or something. Not much of an Arriva or Stagecoach expert, prefer GNE myself.
Yes well the town is full of Turds the civic centre is full of them but that for a different topic Now i would like to see Go north east make more of an effort in Hartlepool and Teeside like i think they should be doing
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 7:11 pm)Marcus wrote I thought Arriva had a service from Hartlepool to Durham, or something. Not much of an Arriva or Stagecoach expert, prefer GNE myself.

Arrival have the 22(Durham-Hartlepool) and 23(Hartlepool-Sunderland)...

Scarlet Band has the 58(Durham-Hartlepool)
(22 Jul 2014, 7:12 pm)col87 wrote Yes well the town is full of Turds the civic centre is full of them but that for a different topic Now i would like to see Go north east make more of an effort in Hartlepool and Teeside like i think they should be doing

I don't really know that much about GNE's efforts in Hartlepool, not really the area I like - I can only name the Fast Cats as one that goes there.

I suppose they could do with a local service.
Marxista Fozzski
(22 Jul 2014, 7:12 pm)col87 wrote Yes well the town is full of Turds the civic centre is full of them but that for a different topic Now i would like to see Go north east make more of an effort in Hartlepool and Teeside like i think they should be doing

But as things stand, GNE would probably be out there depth if they tried to make a big commitment to the area, I agree they should venture into other areas, and new opening up new routes to Hartlepool and the surrounding would be interesting, but they will be limited as to how far they would want to take it
Yes Arriva Go North East and Scarlet band do run out of town services but Stagecoach have the monoply on services in the town in fact in the south of Hartlepool there is only Stagecoach so if anybody from GNE is reading this there is I belive a chance to do something in Hartlepool
(22 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm)marxistafozzski wrote But as things stand, GNE would probably be out there depth if they tried to make a big commitment to the area, I agree they should venture into other areas, and new opening up new routes to Hartlepool and the surrounding would be interesting, but they will be limited as to how far they would want to take it

They should really have a bus between Durham and Middlesbrough.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(22 Jul 2014, 7:26 pm)danpick wrote They should really have a bus between Durham and Middlesbrough.

Not sure it would work Arriva already have the X1 between Durham and Middlesbrough but nice idea
(22 Jul 2014, 7:47 pm)col87 wrote Not sure it would work Arriva already have the X1 between Durham and Middlesbrough but nice idea

Could work if there was a twist to it?
(22 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm)Tom wrote Could work if there was a twist to it?

I think GNE had their fingers burnt with the OK1. The trouble we had in Darlington, which as we all know is Arriva dominated, is that people had weekly tickets to get to the town centre from the outlying estates. Also coupled with the fickle nature of passengers who are quite content to get the first bus that turns up, regardless of operator, fares charged and route taken.
(22 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm)RGR756V wrote I think GNE had their fingers burnt with the OK1. The trouble we had in Darlington, which as we all know is Arriva dominated, is that people had weekly tickets to get to the town centre from the outlying estates. Also coupled with the fickle nature of passengers who are quite content to get the first bus that turns up, regardless of operator, fares charged and route taken.

I think it'd work if it went express between Durham and Middlesbrough. Arriva irritated a lot of passengers when they made the X1 stop at every stop between Durham and Coxhoe, as it adds a good 15-20 mins on a busy run. Whilst it does get a lot of uni use with their free passes, there's also a lot of college students who'd perhaps benefit from the Get Around scheme.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm)aureolin wrote I think it'd work if it went express between Durham and Middlesbrough. Arriva irritated a lot of passengers when they made the X1 stop at every stop between Durham and Coxhoe, as it adds a good 15-20 mins on a busy run.

I used the X1 between Durham and Stockton recently and it stopped at every stop between Durham and Coxhoe, it was painful.

Also since they've done this the reliability has gotten worse.
(22 Jul 2014, 8:39 pm)Jimmi wrote I used the X1 between Durham and Stockton recently and it stopped at every stop between Durham and Coxhoe, it was painful.

Also since they've done this the reliability has gotten worse.
Yep, and it makes zero sense. There's already 5 buses an hour with the 56/57/57a/58 along the Bowburn and Coxhoe corridor.
(22 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm)aureolin wrote Yep, and it makes zero sense. There's already 5 buses an hour with the 56/57/57a/58 along the Bowburn and Coxhoe corridor.

Its probably because people were complaining that it stopped at their stop so now it stops at every stop and it feels like purgatory.
(22 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm)aureolin wrote Yep, and it makes zero sense. There's already 5 buses an hour with the 56/57/57a/58 along the Bowburn and Coxhoe corridor.

I have used it quite a bit recently and there are always passengers who get on at these stops who continue all he way to Stockton (and beyond) on the morning runs.
Obviously these need to get off on the way back to Coxhoe, Bowburn etc.

Then, there are those who use it for a short hop.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Jul 2014, 8:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I have used it quite a bit recently and there are always passengers who get on at these stops who continue all he way to Stockton (and beyond) on the morning runs.
Obviously these need to get off on the way back to Coxhoe, Bowburn etc.

Then, there are those who use it for a short hop.
I tend to use it various times daily nowadays, and i'd say you get the biggest footfall between Bowburn and Durham. Not passengers that are particularly waiting for the X1, but more the first bus that turns up.
Something like this?

Durham..... 10
Nth Tees Hosp.. 47
Stockton.......... 54
Middlesbrough...06

Middlesbrough... 10
Stockton........... 22
Nth Tees Hosp....29
Durham.............05
(22 Jul 2014, 8:47 pm)aureolin wrote I tend to use it various times daily nowadays, and i'd say you get the biggest footfall between Bowburn and Durham. Not passengers that are particularly waiting for the X1, but more the first bus that turns up.

There are a lot of university passes in Coxhoe and Bowburn, so that is why the X1 stops to pick these up. It's what we get paid for by Durham University

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm)col87 wrote Yes Arriva Go North East and Scarlet band do run out of town services but Stagecoach have the monoply on services in the town in fact in the south of Hartlepool there is only Stagecoach so if anybody from GNE is reading this there is I belive a chance to do something in Hartlepool

GNE already tried to buy stagecoach Hartlepool , but was turned down flat and not willing to sell Hartlepool out, GNE also tried to buy stagecoach South Shields but that ended in rejection.

South of Hartlepool is all stagecoach area, as united/Arriva give stagecoach that area while United/Arriva gained areas in Cleveland from stagecoach.

(22 Jul 2014, 11:15 am)Dan wrote I could be wrong, but I believe it's operated commercially by Go North East.

Judging by information that I have available; in spring 2010, nPower re-located from Newcastle, Gateshead and Peterlee to new state-of-the-art offices at Rainton Bridge Business Park near Houghton-le-Spring.

As such, transport had to be provided from the sites nearby the previous buildings to the new building - with nPower turning to Go North East to provide said transport.

I think the contract was for Go North East to operate the services commercially, with nPower giving Key Cards to all existing and new employees who started there. In with the contract was the transport between (iirc) Newcastle Airport and nPower for conferences which are occasionally held at Rainton Bridge.

Slight error in the above, no employees where or are being given key cards. Employees are expected to pay for their own travel.

Initially the services where run privately for about 3 months before becoming public. npower did negotiate with GNE to run the 3 services 921/922/923 & H1 Houghton Link service as a result of the relocation from Team Valley/Newcastle & Peterlee offices back in 2010 with GNE, a wise choice considering. npower still pay GNE to run these services and could be why there was investment in the X1 fleet to double deckers after about a year of them being run with Yellow Bus initially. Also makes sense for npower to use GNE for conferences etc as part of any ongoing contract.

Obviously since then services during the day to Rainton have been expanded and other companies & their employees benefit form these services.
But there nothing to stop GNE from starting there own services because in Hartlepool most of the town has no bus service on an eveing
Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 9:13 pm)col87 wrote But there nothing to stop GNE from starting there own services because in Hartlepool most of the town has no bus service on an eveing

GNE are not going to run services on Stagecoach territory and cause an upset. Most of the town has no evening service because it's not profitable to run the service and the council had stopped funding the evening services because their have to cut back paying out services.

[quote='cbma06' pid='53684' dateline='1406064621']

GNE are not going to run services on Stagecoach territory and cause an upset. Most of the town has no evening service because it's not profitable to run the service and the council had stopped funding the evening services because their have to cut back paying out services.
[/quote
Which is my point if Stagecoach had competation then most if not all servicres may have survived in someway and GNE have a good chance of doing well down here if they put some effot in
Marxista Fozzski
(22 Jul 2014, 9:30 pm)cbma06 wrote GNE are not going to run services on Stagecoach territory and cause an upset. Most of the town has no evening service because it's not profitable to run the service and the council had stopped funding the evening services because their have to cut back paying out services.

And if GNE tried to seriously compete in Hartlepool, Stagecoach could run them out of Town with very little effort.

There may be a market there for interurban services out of Hartlepool i.e. to Newcastle or something quicker to Sunderland, but let's face it, GNE will never be able to start a competitive suburban network in Hartlepool or Teesside pretty much for the reasons cbma06 has stated
It could also be a win win situation Stagecoach would have to bring services back GNE might win any future contract work and woulf have had a presence in the town and passengers get services back
(22 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm)marxistafozzski wrote And if GNE tried to seriously compete in Hartlepool, Stagecoach could run them out of Town with very little effort.

There may be a market there for interurban services out of Hartlepool i.e. to Newcastle or something quicker to Sunderland, but let's face it, GNE will never be able to start a competitive suburban network in Hartlepool or Teesside pretty much for the reasons cbma06 has stated

Don't you mean, DRIVE them out of town? Tongue