You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 10:00 pm)col87 wrote It could also be a win win situation Stagecoach would have to bring services back GNE might win any future contract work and woulf have had a presence in the town and passengers get services back

There's very little contract work in Hartlepool now, and Stagecoach have expanded their operation commercially following the loss of funding, with evening services 6/7 and also Sunday operations on service 1 as an another example.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(22 Jul 2014, 10:10 pm)tyresmoke wrote There's very little contract work in Hartlepool now, and Stagecoach have expanded their operation commercially following the loss of funding, with evening services 6/7 and also Sunday operations on service 1 as an another example.
Its not the full length service 6 though and there are still areas of the town without eveing services but i do take your point but I still think GNE could do well in the town
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(22 Jul 2014, 9:03 pm)tyresmoke wrote There are a lot of university passes in Coxhoe and Bowburn, so that is why the X1 stops to pick these up. It's what we get paid for by Durham University
No disputing that, but it's a bit short sighted. It's a case of taking from one customer to pay another. Given that the 56 provides the same frequency and almost the same route (apart from high Shincliffe) it could have perhaps been resolved for the uni without ruining someone else's level of service.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Jul 2014, 10:33 pm)aureolin wrote No disputing that, but it's a bit short sighted. It's a case of taking from one customer to pay another. Given that the 56 provides the same frequency and almost the same route (apart from high Shincliffe) it could have perhaps been resolved for the uni without ruining someone else's level of service.

I think we do accept the passes on the 56/57A for a small fee too? 50p rings a bell but I think it's only on morning journeys into Durham? Sure I read something like that on the university website. Will have a look...

For a service to survive it has to have passengers and passengers have to be willing to use the service regularly and pay (or there be sufficient concessionary pass users).

It amazes me (when I am in Hexham) how many non-working families utilize taxis instead of buses. I see it regularly during the day (when there are adequate buses serving the social housing areas that aren't within walking distance) -oh and they typically stock up on pizzas before they catch the taxi.

Maybe Hartlepool has a similar population that can afford taxis rather than buses?

Once you lose the customer base the route becomes unprofitable, so it gets pared back and becomes even more unprofitable - you cannot force passengers to travel - they have to want to (or need to).
(22 Jul 2014, 10:57 pm)tyresmoke wrote I think we do accept the passes on the 56/57A for a small fee too? 50p rings a bell but I think it's only on morning journeys into Durham? Sure I read something like that on the university website. Will have a look...

Just looked and it appears they now travel free from Coxhoe and Bowburn all day on 56/57/57A!

(22 Jul 2014, 11:08 pm)G-CPTN wrote For a service to survive it has to have passengers and passengers have to be willing to use the service regularly and pay (or there be sufficient concessionary pass users).

It amazes me (when I am in Hexham) how many non-working families utilize taxis instead of buses. I see it regularly during the day (when there are adequate buses serving the social housing areas that aren't within walking distance) -oh and they typically stock up on pizzas before they catch the taxi.

Maybe Hartlepool has a similar population that can afford taxis rather than buses?

Once you lose the customer base the route becomes unprofitable, so it gets pared back and becomes even more unprofitable - you cannot force passengers to travel - they have to want to (or need to).

Hartlepool will have a larger population then Hexham and I dont belive it to be the case that everyone been able to afford taxis I think it a case of people just accepting what happens Stagecoach and The council tryed to call each others bluff and niethet give in which has led to the current situation in the town
Site Administrator
New driver on the 56 which was mentioned on the post on GNE's Facebook a few days ago - running on-time (by a customer's standards, not that 6 or so minute window).

Smooth sailing so far - driver is going pretty slowly and has stopped at a timing point for a little while longer than he would have usually, to pick up on discussion elsewhere on the forum. We've got working Wi-Fi and power sockets too!
Spoke to the driver this morning and apparently, the section of the 309 between Blyth and Whitley Bay is going back up to every 15 minutes. It would certainly be good if it did.
Site Administrator
(23 Jul 2014, 6:53 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Spoke to the driver this morning and apparently, the section of the 309 between Blyth and Whitley Bay is going back up to every 15 minutes. It would certainly be good if it did.
Unless you chop down the 310, where's the buses coming from?
(23 Jul 2014, 6:57 am)Dan wrote Unless you chop down the 310, where's the buses coming from?

Don't know? If GNE were to do that, they would have to use 6116 and 6117. I don't know what they would do for spares though unless they are trusting the reliability of the B9TL.
Site Administrator
(23 Jul 2014, 7:00 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Don't know? If GNE were to do that, they would have to use 6116 and 6117. I don't know what they would do for spares though unless they are trusting the reliability of the B9TL.
We saw three single deckers on the Cobalt Clipper services yesterday as a result of having no red spare B9TLs... Wouldn't be advisable.
5217 appeared to be expired in Houghton a short while back.

Also, Radio Newcastle are reporting that the future of the Q1/2 is looking bleak due to funding constraints.

Whilst numbers on that service are good, Nexus are stating they are pushed financially, due to the support it is providing elsewhere in Tyne & Wear.

Maybe it is time for the Q1/2 to stand on its own two feet and operate on a commercial basis?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
Live from Glasgow right now, and it seems appropriate to mention that all buses arrived at Glasgow yesterday afternoon safe and sound. They are to enter service tomorrow, and should be able to be found on driver training today.
Marxista Fozzski
(23 Jul 2014, 9:11 am)Dan wrote Live from Glasgow right now, and it seems appropriate to mention that all buses arrived at Glasgow yesterday afternoon safe and sound. They are to enter service tomorrow, and should be able to be found on driver training today.

What vehicles went North of the Border mate?
(23 Jul 2014, 9:14 am)marxistafozzski wrote What vehicles went North of the Border mate?

He made a post the Commonwealth games thread and then quoted it over here with a list of all the vehicles.
(23 Jul 2014, 9:23 am)Robert wrote He made a post the Commonwealth games thread and then quoted it over here with a list of all the vehicles.

See this post

Whilst on my driving lesson this morning, I saw Percy Main based 3803 on the A1 south with a GNE van infront. It turned off at the junction leading to the Mill House Roundabout/Eighton Banks fishing lakes. Any ideas anyone?
Apparently NEXUS are looking to withdraw the Quaylink services altogether due to lack of funding. Just heard it on BBC Radio Newcastle.
(23 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm)Robert wrote Apparently NEXUS are looking to withdraw the Quaylink services altogether due to lack of funding. Just heard it on BBC Radio Newcastle.

Will be they be profitable enough to run commercialy then be a shame to lose them since i used the Q1 last year to get to the sage
(23 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm)Robert wrote Apparently NEXUS are looking to withdraw the Quaylink services altogether due to lack of funding. Just heard it on BBC Radio Newcastle.

That's not good, i'm not from Gateshead/Newcastle so i never use it, not sure how well it does for passengers?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(23 Jul 2014, 1:25 pm)col87 wrote Will be they be profitable enough to run commercialy then be a shame to lose them since i used the Q1 last year to get to the sage
I highly doubt it.
(23 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm)Dan wrote I highly doubt it.

Well that is a shame then how will people get to the sage ?
Site Administrator
(23 Jul 2014, 1:48 pm)col87 wrote Well that is a shame then how will people get to the sage ?
I can't see it being withdrawn if I'm honest - perhaps just reduced in frequency if anything. I also doubt they'll want brand new Euro 6 eco-friendly buses when the contract comes up for renewal - GNE retaining the contract with Versas will probably suit them more.
(23 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm)Dan wrote I can't see it being withdrawn if I'm honest - perhaps just reduced in frequency if anything. I also doubt they'll want brand new Euro 6 eco-friendly buses when the contract comes up for renewal - GNE retaining the contract with Versas will probably suit them more.

It's 2015 when its up for grabs?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
(23 Jul 2014, 1:25 pm)col87 wrote Will be they be profitable enough to run commercialy then be a shame to lose them since i used the Q1 last year to get to the sage

I wonder if it would work if it was cross-subsidised i.e. paying for it from the more profitable routes. Would be a shame to lose Quaylink, but it needs passengers for it to work at all and every time I see Quaylink it is carrying fresh air and not much more
(23 Jul 2014, 1:59 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Whey man, you're a bit slow off the mark. Mentioned it first thing this morning Wink

Quite frankly couldnt be bothered to look back through the posts to see if anybody else had posted it so just posted it anyway. Its wasnt as something bad was going to happen for posting it again.
(23 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm)Robert wrote Quite frankly couldnt be bothered to look back through the posts to see if anybody else had posted it so just posted it anyway. Its wasnt as something bad was going to happen for posting it again.

It was only a few above your original post.
It doesn't matter - not being precious.
The comment I made (hopefully) indicated that it was light hearted.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'