You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(27 Jul 2014, 11:37 am)Michael wrote Thanks, thought it would of being.

I also noticed last night that GNE still had their 1 of their solo SRs out on the 135/136.

Seems they have kept them
Yup, they're both out on 135/136 today!
RE: Go North East - Latest
(27 Jul 2014, 11:38 am)Dan wrote Yup, they're both out on 135/136 today!

Be intresting to see what service they will be on tomorrow.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 11:45 am)Michael wrote Be intresting to see what service they will be on tomorrow.

You know me... I'll be out for photos!
Your guess is (still) as good as mine at the moment though!
(27 Jul 2014, 11:46 am)Dan wrote You know me... I'll be out for photos!
Your guess is (still) as good as mine at the moment though!

Im gonna say the 38 as their quite busy compaired to the 99.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 11:49 am)Michael wrote Im gonna say the 38 as their quite busy compaired to the 99.

Arguably the reason why they wouldn't be appropriate?
I've been on Volvo B10BLEs on the 38 in the past which have had standees (school runs, admittedly)... Imagine that, but on a Solo SR!

Providing the interworking continues between service 38 and the short service X35s to Doxford Park on a morning, you'd have fully-laden Solo SRs on the X35 too.
(27 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm)Dan wrote Arguably the reason why they wouldn't be appropriate?
I've been on Volvo B10BLEs on the 38 in the past which have had standees (school runs, admittedly)... Imagine that, but on a Solo SR!

Providing the interworking continues between service 38 and the short service X35s to Doxford Park on a morning, you'd have fully-laden Solo SRs on the X35 too.

I didn't realise that it interworked with the X35 on a morning.

Maybe used on the 99 after all
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 11:14 am)Dan wrote 8322, so I'm told.
Will hopefully get a photo when it's next back into Park Lane.
Can confirm it is 8322 on 38Cs today.
(27 Jul 2014, 1:20 pm)Dan wrote Can confirm it is 8322 on 38Cs today.

I would imagine that it would be a versa on a evening to for during the week.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jul 2014, 1:20 pm)Dan wrote Can confirm it is 8322 on 38Cs today.

Is there any difference between the 38 and 38C?
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 2:19 pm)Tom wrote Is there any difference between the 38 and 38C?
Not that I know of.

I think it came about when GNE had a 38A/38B and given the first letter of Compass Community Transport's name is 'C'...
What is on the airshow routes today?

I haven't being down today because i was there yesterday
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm)Michael wrote What is on the airshow routes today?

I haven't being down today because i was there yesterday
2x Pronto
2x Angel B7
At least 2x Red Arrows B9
At least 2x Fab56 B9
At least 1x Olympian
Several Dennis Tridents (Lolyne/President)
Several Volvo B7s (Vyking/President)
38 Dwyer Crescent, Rye View and Black Road

38C Ryhope Village Green, Ryhope Toll Bar Road and Leechmere Way Lynthorpe
(27 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm)Dan wrote 2x Pronto
2x Angel B7
At least 2x Fab56 B9
At least 1x Olympian

Thanks =)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(27 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm)Dan wrote 2x Pronto
2x Angel B7
At least 2x Fab56 B9
At least 1x Olympian

Here is what I Photographed Today

FAB 56 - 6088/6091
Red Arrows - 6004/6050/6052
Angel - 3962
Pronto - 6037
Olympians - 3824/3825
Vykings - 3967/3973/3975/3976/3977/3982
Lolynes - 3802/3859/3862
Presidents - 3886/3888/6011/6022/6026
I know how much people loved the X3 but iv'e just read this on their facebook post for a reminder of the changes today!

R.I.P. the X3. Three years ago this was a viable, well used route between Newcastle, Boldon and Sunderland with newish buses (Merc. Citaros) and a 30 min frequency, with loadings better than many Northern routes.
It has gradually been made less convenient so fewer people used it and using much older vehicles. It struggled on when cut to hourly and then, in January this year came the world's most incompetently designed bus timetable, with journeys terminating half a mile from Sunderland at the Wheatsheaf and some Saturday runs finishing in the middle of nowhere north of Fulwell. GNE should be ashamed

I'm sorry but it was against the metro, nearly all its route, it was dropped due to low passenger numbers and then the timetable was torn apart when the X36 was increased, i have to agree with him about the last timetable being incompetently designed, the X3 still should of gone in to the town centre.

Edit: Also noticed GNE still have the old timetables on the site along with the new ones... normally they automatically removed when it comes to the date of the changes.. it also says they still run the X3,37,73 and 558
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
In case if any of you are interested, I've noted all the airshow buses I've seen and what services they are on. Obviously, this isn't every single one of them:

A1 - 3859, 3872
A2 - 6011, 6013
A3 - Haven't saw an A3 all afternoon Undecided
PR1 - 3862, 3871, 3876, 3973, 3981, 3982, 6026
PR2 - 3875, 3888
PR3 - 3974, 6004, 6018, 6091, 6098

And I'm not sure what the usual allocation is for the 99, but today 4965 is operating on the route.
(27 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm)Michael wrote I know how much people loved the X3 but iv'e just read this on their facebook post for a reminder of the changes today!

R.I.P. the X3. Three years ago this was a viable, well used route between Newcastle, Boldon and Sunderland with newish buses (Merc. Citaros) and a 30 min frequency, with loadings better than many Northern routes.
It has gradually been made less convenient so fewer people used it and using much older vehicles. It struggled on when cut to hourly and then, in January this year came the world's most incompetently designed bus timetable, with journeys terminating half a mile from Sunderland at the Wheatsheaf and some Saturday runs finishing in the middle of nowhere north of Fulwell. GNE should be ashamed

I'm sorry but it was against the metro, nearly all its route, it was dropped due to low passenger numbers and then the timetable was torn apart when the X36 was increased, i have to agree with him about the last timetable being incompetently designed, the X3 still should of gone in to the town centre.

Edit: Also noticed GNE still have the old timetables on the site along with the new ones... normally they automatically removed when it comes to the date of the changes.. it also says they still run the X3,37,73 and 558

If I was a Betting Man, I would wack a Tenner on that being "Greg In Weardale" on NEB. He never stops going on about the X3.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm)Adam wrote In case if any of you are interested, I've noted all the airshow buses I've seen and what services they are on. Obviously, this isn't every single one of them:

A1 - 3859, 3872
A2 - 6011, 6013
A3 - Haven't saw an A3 all afternoon Undecided
PR1 - 3862, 3871, 3876, 3973, 3981, 3982, 6026
PR2 - 3875, 3888
PR3 - 3974, 6004, 6018, 6091, 6098

And I'm not sure what the usual allocation is for the 99, but today 4965 is operating on the route.

So was 4936 or 4937.

(27 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote If I was a Betting Man, I would wack a Tenner on that being "Greg In Weardale" on NEB. He never stops going on about the X3.

100% correct!

I can't believe we're still discussing the X3 (the same points we've discussed one hundred and one times), but if the service was profitable, it wouldn't have been cut and older buses wouldn't have been brought in.

It was always going to be difficult for the X3 to work, given that the Metro is so much more convenient to most.

The final timetable was only brought in to work around scholar services, and make running both more sustainable. It's not something Go North East should be ashamed of at all, and I'm tired of hearing that they should be. I said as soon as this timetable was brought in that it would be withdrawn as soon as the school holidays came, as it was obvious why it was around in that form, and I was right. Terminating at the Wheatsheaf isn't the reason why even fewer passengers decided to use it, as I've been on the X3 where twice passengers have asked the driver if he goes into the City Centre, and the driver has responded that they'd have to get on another bus into the City Centre from there (and with a GNE bus coming along the road every few minutes, nobody can complain there). These passengers both used the X3.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 5:56 pm)Philly rf wrote What's happening With the poppy bus is it coming back in to service or not

Yes, it is currently undergoing repair by DiagTest. As you can imagine, repairing engine bay fire damage isn't an easy job and will take time. It's likely that the bus will require a repaint after the repairs are complete, and we're therefore unlikely to see 4949 return in its current guise again.

DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8248 (NA52 BVE) is also undergoing repairs by DiagTest.
(27 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)Dan wrote Yes, it is currently undergoing repair by DiagTest. As you can imagine, repairing engine bay fire damage isn't an easy job and will take time. It's likely that the bus will require a repaint after the repairs are complete, and we're therefore unlikely to see 4949 return in its current guise again.

DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8248 (NA52 BVE) is also undergoing repairs by DiagTest.

It has to come back as the Royal Legion bus, =(
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm)Michael wrote It has to come back as the Royal Legion bus, =(

I think it was due to be come out of that livery this September anyway, unfortunately... Sad
(27 Jul 2014, 6:00 pm)Dan wrote I think it was due to be come out of that livery this September anyway, unfortunately... Sad

=(, no point then, shame
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jul 2014, 11:11 pm)aureolin wrote Wouldn't that make a special event day or multi day ticket a good idea though? Then if the skies open on sat or sun, folk have already bought their tickets, so the service is receiving money it otherwise wouldn't have?

Bit like advance train fares for a day out. You're taking a risk trying to save money, but you've got it regardless of the weather.

Yes and no, as people can already buy the existing M-Tickets and that's what was pushed in the leaflets, bus posters and social media - there's also the bit about not trying to confuse people too much either with lots of different ticketing messages. If people bought a ticket in advance and it chucked it down, they'd all want a refund if they couldn't use it at any other time and you couldn't not refund them if they hadn't used it.
Site Administrator
Michael was right - 635/636 have been allocated to service 38, which I think means the short X35s are now operated by something else (which I'll have to try and find out).

The morning run 8266 has (or had) on service X40 has been changed now too, with a "TEN" branded Volvo B9TL taking its place.
(28 Jul 2014, 6:58 am)Dan wrote Michael was right - 635/636 have been allocated to service 38, which I think means the short X35s are now operated by something else (which I'll have to try and find out).

The morning run 8266 has (or had) on service X40 has been changed now too, with a "TEN" branded Volvo B9TL taking its place.

Has deptford lost anything because of this?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 7:14 am)Michael wrote Has deptford lost anything because of this?

I don't think so (at least not yet), but do remember that they are currently two buses down with MPDs 542/544 both away at other depots on shuttle service work.