You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(26 Jul 2014, 9:28 am)marxistafozzski wrote Just a thought, but competition is good ;-)

competition is dead, shouldn't never privatised the bus service, the government wanted new bus operators to come into the market after dereg and it ended up bigger bus operators buying them out or running them off the road (darlington), the big bus operators carved up their own big turfs, prices hiked up as theirs no other operator to compete against. Roll on QCS. I wonder how many people would of objected against the goverments ruling to dereg the bus services in 86. Their should be at least 2 different bus companies doing each route and let the passenger choose which service their want. At least under the QCS you be able to buy a ticket or pass and use any bus service you like.

The same as Gas, electric companies (petrol etc....), their put the prices up and you have no choice than to pay.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:19 am)marxistafozzski wrote Osmotherley is somewhere near Northallerton...

The way col87 has suggested is weird because Osmotherley is before Helmsley by quite a few miles
. Got bit mixed up but it would work as a summer service a couple of days a week and it might work for Arriva but GNE should try experiment with services like this
(26 Jul 2014, 9:44 am)cbma06 wrote competition is dead, shouldn't never privatised the bus service, the government wanted new bus operators to come into the market after dereg and it ended up bigger bus operators buying them out or running them off the road (darlington), the big bus operators carved up their own big turfs, prices hiked up as theirs no other operator to compete against. Roll on QCS. I wonder how many people would of objected against the goverments ruling to dereg the bus services in 86. Their should be at least 2 different bus companies doing each route and let the passenger choose which service their want. At least under the QCS you be able to buy a ticket or pass and use any bus service you like.

The same as Gas, electric companies (petrol etc....), their put the prices up and you have no choice than to pay.
. It would be nice to see competition on Hartlepool Town Services and GNE seem to have a monoply on East Durham it needs to change
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(26 Jul 2014, 11:00 am)col87 wrote . It would be nice to see competition on Hartlepool Town Services and GNE seem to have a monoply on East Durham it needs to change

GNE has a monopoly in all of East Durham, all the way to Sunderland and Hetton, Houghton to Gateshead/Newcastle...

I would like to see some competition with Arriva, especially on 23, that service is terrible, to compete in Hartlepool, I could not see it working, Stagecoach would run GNE out in no time...
To be honest, Stagecoach Hartlepool isn't really that big in comparison to Sunderland, South Shields or Newcastle. There's not all that much to compete with. In addition to the workers' services (20 and 980), there are only a few services which Stagecoach operate in the Hartlepool area.

Middlesbrough - Billingham - Seaton Carew - Hartlepool - University Hospital - High Tunstall

South Fens - Owton Manor - Hartlepool - Bishop Cuthbert

South Fens - Wynyard Road - Hartlepool - Clavering

Owton Manor - Catcote Road - Hartlepool - Clavering

Owton Manor - Stockton Road - Hartlepool - Marina & The Headland

Park End - Middlesbrough - Stockton - Billingham - Hartlepool
There is plenty of potental for any company to try services in Hartlepool why should Stagecoach have the monoply
(26 Jul 2014, 11:55 am)col87 wrote There is plenty of potental for any company to try services in Hartlepool why should Stagecoach have the monoply

stagecoach would run them out, United/Arriva gived the bus services to stagecoach and only kept northbound bus services

(26 Jul 2014, 11:27 am)marxistafozzski wrote GNE has a monopoly in all of East Durham, all the way to Sunderland and Hetton, Houghton to Gateshead/Newcastle...

I would like to see some competition with Arriva, especially on 23, that service is terrible, to compete in Hartlepool, I could not see it working, Stagecoach would run GNE out in no time...

By me as I live down at Peterlee, l would of thought Arriva has the monopoly in East Durham area, 90% of GNE services in Peterlee is due to Arriva not operating them because of them being unprofitable and let the council secure them with taxpayers money, even though arriva wanted the contract to run them. by me I think Arriva were going to win the contract before GNE decided to do them commercially otherwise GNE would lose a foothold in Peterlee.

GNE was going to have alook at the knock on effect of when Arriva closed the depot down and see what services Arriva would cancel to see what GNE could take on, but Arriva re designed their bus services.

Based upon previous suggestions involving an express service between Durham and Middlesbrough and a new cross-Durham link between Sherburn and the Arnison Centre; how about this idea?

X8: Arnison Centre - Framwellgate Moor - Durham - Sherburn - A181 - Thornley - Wheatley Hill - A19 - Billingham - Middlesbrough

Rough (Peak-time) timetable:

Arnison Centre - 00
Durham Bus Station - 11
Dragon Lane Tesco - 20
Sherburn Village - 24
Thornley - 36
Wheatley Hill - 44
Castle Eden A19 Interchange - 49
Billingham Town Centre - 03
Billingham Stores - 08
Middlesbrough Bus Station - 17

Middlesbrough Bus Station - 30
Billingham Stores - 39
Billingham Town Centre - 44
Castle Eden A19 Interchange - 58
Wheatley Hill - 03
Thornley - 11
Sherburn Village - 23
Dragon Lane Tesco - 27
Durham Bus Station - 36
Arnison Centre - 47
(28 Jul 2014, 8:49 am)AdamY wrote Based upon previous suggestions involving an express service between Durham and Middlesbrough and a new cross-Durham link between Sherburn and the Arnison Centre; how about this idea?

X8: Arnison Centre - Framwellgate Moor - Durham - Sherburn - A181 - Thornley - Wheatley Hill - A19 - Billingham - Middlesbrough

Arnison Centre - 00
Durham Bus Station - 11
Dragon Lane Tesco - 20
Sherburn Village - 24
Thornley - 36
Wheatley Hill - 44
Billingham Stores - 08

Billingham Stores - 39
Wheatley Hill - 03
Thornley - 11
Sherburn Village - 23
Dragon Lane Tesco - 27
Durham Bus Station - 36
Arnison Centre - 47

Love it Adam! Great idea
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(28 Jul 2014, 8:49 am)AdamY wrote Based upon previous suggestions involving an express service between Durham and Middlesbrough and a new cross-Durham link between Sherburn and the Arnison Centre; how about this idea?

Arnison Centre - 00
Durham Bus Station - 11
Dragon Lane Tesco - 20
Sherburn Village - 24
Thornley - 36
Wheatley Hill - 44
Billingham Stores - 08

Billingham Stores - 39
Wheatley Hill - 03
Thornley - 11
Sherburn Village - 23
Dragon Lane Tesco - 27
Durham Bus Station - 36
Arnison Centre - 47

You could be onto something there Mr Young...

For that would it not better to start it at Chester, then onto what you suggest, your timing of it is quicker than I would have thought...Looking at that Arni-Boro in 77 minutes
As I said, the timetable is a rough estimate.

I based the timetable upon Arriva service 42 between Arnison and Durham; GNE service 204 between Durham and Dragonville minus two minutes as my suggestion wouldn't serve Claypath; Arriva service 64 between Dragonville and Sherburn Grey Horse; Arriva service 22 between Sherburn Hospital and Wheatley Hill with two/three minutes added for the detour into Sherburn Village via Mill Lane; 5 minutes allocated between Wheatley Hill and Castle Eden A19 Interchange; and finally service X9 between Peterlee A19 Slip Road and Middlesbrough with a couple of minutes deducted as my suggested service joins the A19 at Castle Eden not Peterlee.

Might take a little more time, may take a little less.
Possibly something like this?

Langley Park - 02
Arnsion Centre - 12
Durham Bus Stat - 23
Dragon Ln Tesco - 31
Sherburn Village - 35
Thornley - 46
Wheatley Hill - 58
Castle Eden A19 - 03
Middlesbrough - 26

Middlesbrough - 33
Castle Eden A19 - 56
Wheatley Hill - 01
Thornley - 13
Sherborne Village - 24
Dragon Ln Tesco - 28
Durham Bus Stat - 37
Arnsion Centre - 48
Langley Park - 58

This would replace the poorly used 13 between Durham and Langley Park too.
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 9:22 am)Tom wrote Possibly something like this?

Langley Park - 02
Arnsion Centre - 12
Durham Bus Stat - 23
Dragon Ln Tesco - 31
Sherburn Village - 35
Thornley - 46
Wheatley Hill - 58
Castle Eden A19 - 03
Middlesbrough - 26

Middlesbrough - 33
Castle Eden A19 - 56
Wheatley Hill - 01
Thornley - 13
Sherborne Village - 24
Dragon Ln Tesco - 28
Durham Bus Stat - 37
Arnsion Centre - 48
Langley Park - 58

Think that would cause a few problems with regards to timekeeping - not much layover at all there...

Langley Park - 02
Arnsion Centre - 12
Durham Bus Stat - 23
Dragon Ln Tesco - 31
Sherburn Village - 35
Thornley - 46
Wheatley Hill - 58
Castle Eden A19 - 03
Middlesbrough - 26

Middlesbrough - 33
Castle Eden A19 - 56
Wheatley Hill - 01
Thornley - 13
Sherborne Village - 24
Dragon Ln Tesco - 28
Durham Bus Stat - 37
Arnsion Centre - 48
Langley Park - 58

good job its only a suggestion, I can just imagine a big delay in Middlesbrough area and also A19 causing knock on effect with passengers in durham waiting for a bus to Langley Park, also Arriva wont sit back as the service will be invading Arriva's territory.

One thing that I can say ruins both of those ideas - the timings into/out of Middlesbrough.

As I think I've explained elsewhere before (or if I haven't, here it is), Middlesbrough Council (who of course own the bus station) have a 5 minutes between departure rule, plus Adam, your suggestion clashes with the departure time of the X10 so would likely result in your version of the X8 being put on the stand in-front of the X1/X10 stand. Likewise Tom, as yours happens to depart 2 minutes in-front of an X1 (I wonder why that is Rolleyes ) it would also have to be placed on the unused stand 19 instead of stand 18 along with everything else express wise to Peterlee, Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle (and not so express in the case of the 21a).

Langley Park - 02
Arnsion Centre - 12
Durham Bus Stat - 23
Dragon Ln Tesco - 31
Sherburn Village - 35
Thornley - 46
Wheatley Hill - 58
Castle Eden A19 - 03
Middlesbrough - 26

Middlesbrough - 33
Castle Eden A19 - 56
Wheatley Hill - 01
Thornley - 13
Sherborne Village - 24
Dragon Ln Tesco - 28
Durham Bus Stat - 37
Arnsion Centre - 48
Langley Park - 58

Would replace service 14 maybe as service 13 doesnt go round Arnison Centre. It just goes to Sacriston the same way as the Diamond then turns left at the Crossroads and joins with 14/X25 to Langley Park.
(28 Jul 2014, 10:02 am)Robert wrote Would replace service 14 maybe as service 13 doesnt go round Arnison Centre. It just goes to Sacriston the same way as the Diamond then turns left at the Crossroads and joins with 14/X25 to Langley Park.

Oh right - cheers.
The 14 serves Nettlesworth and Kimblesworth so not sure it could be withdrawn?
(28 Jul 2014, 10:01 am)Kuyoyo wrote One thing that I can say ruins both of those ideas - the timings into/out of Middlesbrough.

As I think I've explained elsewhere before (or if I haven't, here it is), Middlesbrough Council (who of course own the bus station) have a 5 minutes between departure rule, plus Adam, your suggestion clashes with the departure time of the X10 so would likely result in your version of the X8 being put on the stand in-front of the X1/X10 stand. Likewise Tom, as yours happens to depart 2 minutes in-front of an X1 (I wonder why that is Rolleyes ) it would also have to be placed on the unused stand 19 instead of stand 18 along with everything else express wise to Peterlee, Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle (and not so express in the case of the 21a).

In my defense, I start most of my rough timetable estimations at 00 (or 15, 30 or 45 depending on frequency) as a baseline to show timings more than anything else. If it clashes with service X10 the timetable can be adjusted accordingly to acquiesce stipulations set by Middlesbrough Council.
(28 Jul 2014, 10:24 am)AdamY wrote In my defense, I start most of my rough timetable estimations at 00 (or 15, 30 or 45 depending on frequency) as a baseline to show timings more than anything else. If it clashes with service X10 the timetable can be adjusted accordingly to acquiesce stipulations set by Middlesbrough Council.

I do as well.
(28 Jul 2014, 10:06 am)Tom wrote Oh right - cheers.
The 14 serves Nettlesworth and Kimblesworth so not sure it could be withdrawn?

The 14 does interwork with the X22 so by withdrawing service 14 service X22 would probably need to be retimed aswell. The X22 gets quite busy onsome trips, as was discussed last week or whenever it was so that is what probably keeps the 14 going as i cant say i have seen many fare paying passengers on or get on.
(28 Jul 2014, 9:45 am)cbma06 wrote good job its only a suggestion, I can just imagine a big delay in Middlesbrough area and also A19 causing knock on effect with passengers in durham waiting for a bus to Langley Park, also Arriva wont sit back as the service will be invading Arriva's territory.

Langley Park is Go North East territory, they fought off Arrivas 754 which was identical to service 14. No invading would be caused at all. And that goes for any part of the route aswell.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:02 am)Robert wrote Langley Park is Go North East territory, they fought off Arrivas 754 which was identical to service 14. No invading would be caused at all. And that goes for any part of the route aswell.

Arriva territory will be the section between Durham and Sherburn/wheatley Hill/Thornley etc..., I didn't say that Langley Park is Arriva territory, but the areas of the proposed route will be.

GNE didn't really fought of Arriva in that area of 754/726, wasn't the Arriva 726 langley park to chester-le-street secured from DCC because GNE withdrew commercially, and the 754 was only put on so the driver can get back to Durham for the relieve.

(28 Jul 2014, 11:11 am)cbma06 wrote Arriva territory will be the section between Durham and Sherburn/wheatley Hill/Thornley etc..., I didn't say that Langley Park is Arriva territory, but the areas of the proposed route will be.

GNE didn't really fought of Arriva in that area of 754/726, wasn't the Arriva 726 langley park to chester-le-street secured from DCC because GNE withdrew commercially, and the 754 was only put on so the driver can get back to Durham for the relieve.

I'm not sure if the Arriva 726 was secured when Arriva ran it, its now run by DCC.
http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/tt/726_DCC.pdf

I remember the 754 operated between school runs and also interworked with service 50 to Brandon and both the 50/754 carried fresh air most of the time.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:00 am)Robert wrote The 14 does interwork with the X22 so by withdrawing service 14 service X22 would probably need to be retimed aswell. The X22 gets quite busy onsome trips, as was discussed last week or whenever it was so that is what probably keeps the 14 going as i cant say i have seen many fare paying passengers on or get on.

Some trips on the 14 are quite busy. Quite a few people board at Arnsion Centre to Langley Park too.
The 13 is usually empty so can't see that running for much longer
(28 Jul 2014, 11:31 am)Jimmi wrote I'm not sure if the Arriva 726 was secured when Arriva ran it, its now run by DCC.
http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/tt/726_DCC.pdf

I remember the 754 operated between school runs and also interworked with service 50 to Brandon and both the 50/754 carried fresh air most of the time.

Don't believe what's on the timetable list on DCC website, the timetable list on DCC website needs updating, a lot of old bus services still on there, including GNE X11 timetable which was awhile ago.

(28 Jul 2014, 11:33 am)Tom wrote Some trips on the 14 are quite busy. Quite a few people board at Arnsion Centre to Langley Park too.
The 13 is usually empty so can't see that running for much longer

The 14 is often busy, especially at peak times and the 13 passenger numbers aren't brilliant.

I would suggest having two 14s an hour but one interworks with the X22, but the other one wouldn't have anything to interwork with.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:42 am)Jimmi wrote The 14 is often busy, especially at peak times and the 13 passenger numbers aren't brilliant.

I would suggest having two 14s an hour but one interworks with the X22, but the other one wouldn't have anything to interwork with.

It's a bit like the X22 to be fair. I'd imagine the 1520 X22 and 1612 14 will make a load of profit mind!
(28 Jul 2014, 11:42 am)Jimmi wrote The 14 is often busy, especially at peak times and the 13 passenger numbers aren't brilliant.

Just think if the government didn't scrap the kick start fund, service 265 (which was service 65 at the time) would of been merged with service 13/14 Seaham to Langley Park via Durham.

Also at the time service 15/15A was going to be merged with service 45/46 (red kite to Durham) but GNE couldn't sort out the timing issues at the Consett end on the 45/46.

(28 Jul 2014, 11:41 am)cbma06 wrote Don't believe what's on the timetable list on DCC website, the timetable list on DCC website needs updating, a lot of old bus services still on there, including GNE X11 timetable which was awhile ago.

Just done a search on Traveline and the 726 came up, so it must still exist.

The Durham Pinder site timetable list is mostly up to date, although there is still some old timetables on there, such as the Darlington 19 which was operated by Scarlet Band until January 2012.