You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(28 Jul 2014, 7:19 am)Dan wrote I don't think so (at least not yet), but do remember that they are currently two buses down with MPDs 542/544 both away at other depots on shuttle service work.

They have haven't they, we will see more fleet changes after the buses come back from glasgow... so maybe we might find if they are staying or going then
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2014, 6:58 am)Dan wrote Michael was right - 635/636 have been allocated to service 38, which I think means the short X35s are now operated by something else (which I'll have to try and find out).

The morning run 8266 has (or had) on service X40 has been changed now too, with a "TEN" branded Volvo B9TL taking its place.

Will 635/636 remain in Nexus Bus livery?
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 7:22 am)Michael wrote They have haven't they, we will see more fleet changes after the buses come back from glasgow... so maybe we might find if they are staying or going then

I'd imagine that's when we'll see a few changes, yeah. It'd be pointless making them when 21 vehicles in your fleet aren't in the North East!

(28 Jul 2014, 7:46 am)Tom wrote Will 635/636 remain in Nexus Bus livery?

I'd imagine so, yes. After all, they will continue to see use on "Nexus" services 135/136.
the GNE site is showing that they still run the X3,37,73 and 558..they are normally fast in removing services which they are withdrawing or loosing.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2014, 6:58 am)Dan wrote Michael was right - 635/636 have been allocated to service 38, which I think means the short X35s are now operated by something else (which I'll have to try and find out).

I'm very shocked about that! The 38 can get decent loads so I'm shocked they out solos on it, seems daft. The 99 seems like a much better option in my opinion, also bit daft that they won't be used on a evening! Solo during daytime but a Versa on the evening doesn't really seem logically either. The fact they remain in NexusBus livery aswell isn't very good, it makes it look like the 38 is nexus service.
Can they repaint these vehicles into GNE corporate livery?
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 8:28 am)Drifter60 wrote I'm very shocked about that! The 38 can get decent loads so I'm shocked they out solos on it, seems daft. The 99 seems like a much better option in my opinion, also bit daft that they won't be used on a evening! Solo during daytime but a Versa on the evening doesn't really seem logically either. The fact they remain in NexusBus livery aswell isn't very good, it makes it look like the 38 is nexus service.
Can they repaint these vehicles into GNE corporate livery?

Likewise - as I mentioned before, I've experienced Volvo B10BLEs on the service with standees... Much better option for me would have been service 99, with MPDs transferring to Chester for service 71, releasing two or three Volvo B10BLEs to allow for the withdrawal of elder Volvo B10BLEs, but hey ho..!

Services 135/136 have always had the Solos on an evening/Sunday, so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise to me that this is going to continue. The contract for service 38C is only a Euro 4 stipulation, meaning that either the 8306-09 series Versas OR the 8319-29 series Versas can be allocated.

Go North East could repaint the vehicles into corporate livery, but at three years of age, it's unlikely. Repaints usually come every five years, but when necessary, they can be brought forward (usually only by a year, but there have been instances where vehicles have undergone repaint sooner than this too). Given that the paintshop is fully booked up for the summer holidays, I can't see the Solo SRs going in for repaint - if nothing else, it is something of a waste to repaint the buses so soon. It's not like the cost of a can of Dulux - it's a few thousand pounds we're talking about.
(28 Jul 2014, 8:35 am)Dan wrote Likewise - as I mentioned before, I've experienced Volvo B10BLEs on the service with standees... Much better option for me would have been service 99, with MPDs transferring to Chester for service 71, releasing two or three Volvo B10BLEs to allow for the withdrawal of elder Volvo B10BLEs, but hey ho..!

Services 135/136 have always had the Solos on an evening/Sunday, so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise to me that this is going to continue. The contract for service 38C is only a Euro 4 stipulation, meaning that either the 8306-09 series Versas OR the 8319-29 series Versas can be allocated.

Go North East could repaint the vehicles into corporate livery, but at three years of age, it's unlikely. Repaints usually come every five years, but when necessary, they can be brought forward (usually only by a year, but there have been instances where vehicles have undergone repaint sooner than this too). Given that the paintshop is fully booked up for the summer holidays, I can't see the Solo SRs going in for repaint - if nothing else, it is something of a waste to repaint the buses so soon. It's not like the cost of a can of Dulux - it's a few thousand pounds we're talking about.

Which buses are currently in for a repaint?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 8:37 am)Michael wrote Which buses are currently in for a repaint?

3873/74/77 and 4970, as far as I know.

Only three buses are done per week usually, hence 'fully booked up'. The Tridents have to be done this summer, given that it'll be their final repaint - which was due next year - but will increase the book value a little too, providing the bus stays in good condition until disposal.

Clearly, any other repaints must be done around this tight schedule, and do remember that repaints for this year's investment are just around the corner too...
(28 Jul 2014, 8:41 am)Dan wrote 3873/74/77 and 4970, as far as I know.

Only three buses are done per week usually, hence 'fully booked up'. The Tridents have to be done this summer, given that it'll be their final repaint - which was due next year - but will increase the book value a little too, providing the bus stays in good condition until disposal.

Clearly, any other repaints must be done around this tight schedule, and do remember that repaints for this year's investment are just around the corner too...

will the DFDS seaways get a repaint to, although they were only done in 2011?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 10:30 am)Michael wrote will the DFDS seaways get a repaint to, although they were only done in 2011?

Doubt it - not yet.
From the GNE Facebook page for anyone interested:

We are looking for some volunteers amongst our regular passengers to take part in a photo-shoot.

We'd like to get some photographs of real passengers on one of our modern buses. The photographs will be used in Go North East and Go-Ahead Group publications and for publicity purposes.

We're looking for 40 people to take part in the photo-shoot, which is taking place on Wednesday (30 July) between 11am and 3pm. A light lunch will be provided!

If you would like to be involved, and you’re free on Wednesday, please e-mail us at customerservices@gonortheast.co.uk using the subject 'photo-shoot' - if you would be kind enough to also include your age that will help us get the spread of people we're looking for.

Thanks.
Site Administrator
We've discussed passenger numbers at length, but it seems appropriate to mention the 1240ish X7 which has just departed Sunderland left with every single seat taken. Impressive, if you ask me!

In other news, Dennis Trident 3870 has returned to Percy Main following its loan to Deptford. The vehicle was surplus to requirements, following the withdrawal of service X3. Similar 3858/59/71 all remain in use at Deptford, with 3858/59 on 9s today and 3871 on the Fast Cats.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:42 am)Dan wrote We've discussed passenger numbers at length, but it seems appropriate to mention the 1240ish X7 which has just departed Sunderland left with every single seat taken. Impressive, if you ask me!

In other news, Dennis Trident 3870 has returned to Percy Main following its loan to Deptford. The vehicle was surplus to requirements, following the withdrawal of service X3. Similar 3858/59/71 all remain in use at Deptford, with 3858/59 on 9s today and 3871 on the Fast Cats.

That's really good, least people are using it!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:48 am)Michael wrote That's really good, least people are using it!

Hopefully the service will receive something in the 2015/2016 order if the Mercs continue to have standees.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:53 am)Simmy wrote Hopefully the service will receive something in the 2015/2016 order if the Mercs continue to have standees.

Highly doubt it unless Volvo have an 8 litre option.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(28 Jul 2014, 11:48 am)Michael wrote That's really good, least people are using it!
Very good indeed. I know similar loadings are common for the first three runs on a morning, but to see those sort of loadings at half 12 is very impressive.

By comparison, the 24 due in at a similar time came in with no more than 10 passengers, and the 23 which came in at the same time, with 3.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:55 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Highly doubt it unless Volvo have an 8 litre option.

It seems that Volvo (and Wright) are continuing with the B9TL for 'overseas' markets:-

http://sgforums.com/forums/1279/topics/485571

Edited to add:- though these will probably be 3-axle vehicles - the 5 litre engine might struggle at those weights.
(28 Jul 2014, 11:42 am)Dan wrote We've discussed passenger numbers at length, but it seems appropriate to mention the 1240ish X7 which has just departed Sunderland left with every single seat taken. Impressive, if you ask me!

I can remember getting on X3 several times at Gateshead going east when it was booked Citaros running every 30 min and it was full and standing. Let's hope GNE don't ruin the X7 like they have the X3, so in a year or two it's timetabled Middlesbrough to Grangetown five times a day!
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote I can remember getting on X3 several times at Gateshead going east when it was booked Citaros running every 30 min and it was full and standing. Let's hope GNE don't ruin the X7 like they have the X3, so in a year or two it's timetabled Middlesbrough to Grangetown five times a day!
That won't happen providing passenger numbers don't suddenly drop to the point where GNE is making a loss by running it! Wink

It's fairly obvious that if a service is performing well, the only changes it will face is newer stock. If it's the opposite, of course there's going to be cuts...
(28 Jul 2014, 11:53 am)Simmy wrote Hopefully the service will receive something in the 2015/2016 order if the Mercs continue to have standees.

(28 Jul 2014, 11:55 am)DaveyBowyer wrote Highly doubt it unless Volvo have an 8 litre option.

Given the low bridge along the route - I would assume any improvement to the X7 would be a frequency increase given there's nothing bigger in terms of single deckers available.
Site Administrator
(28 Jul 2014, 12:36 pm)Jimmi wrote X8 to Newton Aycliffe and Darlington plus run via Dalton Park instead of Seaham.

Probably wouldn't work time wise but I can dream can't I.
Already been kicked out of Darlo once - doubt they'd be mad enough to try it again!
Unid'd Fab Fifty Seven Renown has just been clipped by a car as the bus was turning towards Wardley
on the Felling Bypass (just past the A194(m) roundabout. Slow moving traffic in the area.
(28 Jul 2014, 2:57 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote New 309 from 31st August!

Woah! Where are the buses coming from?!??!!
(28 Jul 2014, 2:58 pm)Tom wrote Woah! Where are the buses coming from?!??!!

I think that they'll still have one spare. I know that there's a big gap between the first and second journey of the day towards Newcastle as the one that arrives at 07:24 has been withdrawn.