You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Fleet news:

Optare Solo SRs 625: NK11 HBB, 627: NK61 DBY and 631: NK61 FEU have been transferred from Saltmeadows to Percy Main.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(29 Jul 2014, 9:13 am)Dan wrote See our fleet list for the chassis variations.

DAF SB120/Wright Cadet
VDL SB120/Wright Merit

They look similar to Renowns because of the Wright bodywork, which is what those vehicles have in common with Volvo B10BLEs.

There are variations in the bodywork because they were manufactured at different times. A similar example that you should be familiar with (living in the Stanley area) would be the rear lights on the Venture Solos compared to all the others in the fleet which were new in 2011/12 - the bodywork has been altered slightly this year but Optare hasn't manufactured them as a different product as they are pretty much the same.

When they first arrived, GNE listed them as Volvos, yes. Reason why is explained on the Wiki article for the VDL SB120: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDL_SB120

The Merits were purchased from Volvo dealer stock, whereas, so far as I know, the Cadets were ordered directly from Wrights.

I find I get easily confused by buses, especially when you have what is essentially the same bus built by different manufacturers
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 9:27 am)Michael wrote Fleet news:

Optare Solo SRs 625: NK11 HBB, 627: NK61 DBY and 631: NK61 FEU have been transferred from Saltmeadows to Percy Main.

To elaborate, the Whitley Bay 'W' services are now operated by Percy Main. A low cost unit has been set up at said depot for the purpose.
I know it's happened, but I'm surprised the unions let them get away with creating a two tier workforce in depots that they have recognition and collective bargaining rights. Our lot would be up in arms at even the thought of such thing, and I assumed that's why they've in the past chosen to operate low cost units from outstations...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 10:24 am)Tom wrote Service 310 is NOT being reduced in frequency.
Got a timetable to show that?
(29 Jul 2014, 10:27 am)Dan wrote Recipe for disaster.

Completely agree - where the hell are they going to get the buses from? Use 6116/6117?
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 10:28 am)Tom wrote Completely agree - where the hell are they going to get the buses from? Use 6116/6117?
They'll have to, yes.

I'm usually all for services being upgraded in frequency, but when it's coming at the expense of having no allocated spare vehicles...

Angel v2.
(29 Jul 2014, 10:29 am)Dan wrote They'll have to, yes.

I'm usually all for services being upgraded in frequency, but when it's coming at the expense of having no allocated spare vehicles...

Angel v2.

Oh dear, maybe a extra couple will be ordered on this years orders?

Going through the timetables seems like the V1/V2/V3/V4/V8/V9 are changing from the same date

X21 is also changing, this includes a new timetable for College Days only.(separate)

X22/937 is on 1 timetable.

X35
X46
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Go North East - Latest.
But there's clearly demand for it though. Look at that complaint about the 308 leaving 15 minutes late a few month back and taking half an hour longer. The only reason the 309 wasn't being used more was because of the frequency between Blyth and Whitley Bay and for most journeys, the 309 only takes no more than five minutes more than the 308. They've made a good move and on that note due to many Gemini 2 PVR changes and new buses needed for the Promto, I think an order for the X1 is sort of likely next year.
(29 Jul 2014, 10:42 am)DaveyBowyer wrote But there's clearly demand for it though. Look at that complaint about the 308 leaving 15 minutes late a few month back and taking half an hour longer. The only reason the 309 wasn't being used more was because of the frequency between Blyth and Whitley Bay and for most journeys, the 309 only takes no more than five minutes more than the 308. They've made a good move and on that note due to many Gemini 2 PVR changes and new buses needed for the Promto, I think an order for the X1 is sort of likely next year.

Judging by loading in and out of Blyth plus my sole trip on one - there's barely a demand for half hourly lye alone every 15! It probably won't last a year before it reverts back to its present guise.
(29 Jul 2014, 11:02 am)Kuyoyo wrote Judging by loading in and out of Blyth plus my sole trip on one - there's barely a demand for half hourly lye alone every 15! It probably won't last a year before it reverts back to its present guise.

I can't comment on the increase as iv'e never being on them, as i live no where near the its route.

If there's no demand for it, seems GNE are increasing it for competition?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 11:04 am)Michael wrote I can't comment on the increase as iv'e never being on them, as i live no where near the its route.

If there's no demand for it, seems GNE are increasing it for competition?
I have no doubt that the Newcastle - Whitley Bay section will be assisting the Whitley Bay - Blyth section, and as I said before, it will be mainly linked to competition that the service is seeing the increase in frequency.

It will be interesting to see if this spices the orders up a little... If the orders come in soon and new spare buses are ordered for the Cobalt Clipper, it would perhaps only leave it without two spares for a month and a bit.
(29 Jul 2014, 11:23 am)Dan wrote I have no doubt that the Newcastle - Whitley Bay section will be assisting the Whitley Bay - Blyth section, and as I said before, it will be mainly linked to competition that the service is seeing the increase in frequency.

It will be interesting to see if this spices the orders up a little...

I would imagine new buses would be ordered, even if its only 2,i would say GNE would want it to be fully decker along with 2 spares again.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jul 2014, 11:25 am)Michael wrote I would imagine new buses would be ordered, even if its only 2,i would say GNE would want it to be fully decker along with 2 spares again.

I would say that if your suggestion does go ahead, rather than repainting 6116 and 6117 so soon the new buses could be branded (if they need to be) and 6116 and 6117 remain as spares.
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 11:36 am)Robert wrote I would say that if your suggestion does go ahead, rather than repainting 6116 and 6117 so soon the new buses could be branded (if they need to be) and 6116 and 6117 remain as spares.
Obviously the B5TLs would be the spares opposed to the existing B9TLs if purchased... Just ask DaveyBowyer why, if it's not obvious to you!
(29 Jul 2014, 11:36 am)Robert wrote I would say that if your suggestion does go ahead, rather than repainting 6116 and 6117 so soon the new buses could be branded (if they need to be) and 6116 and 6117 remain as spares.

Ye, 6116/17 still spares and fpr example.... lets say 6118/6119 will be Cobalt branded then if GNE order anymore decker's then what ever gets them will be 6120 onwards
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 11:39 am)Michael wrote Ye, 6116/17 still spares and fpr example.... lets say 6118/6119 will be Cobalt branded then if GNE order anymore decker's then what ever gets them will be 6120 onwards
But let's remember that 6118/19 will not be Volvo B9TLs, and instead, would be Volvo B5TLs..!
(29 Jul 2014, 11:40 am)Dan wrote But let's remember that 6118/19 will not be Volvo B9TLs, and instead, would be Volvo B5TLs..!

Oh bloody hell ye! Oh dear!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jul 2014, 10:05 am)aureolin wrote I know it's happened, but I'm surprised the unions let them get away with creating a two tier workforce in depots that they have recognition and collective bargaining rights. Our lot would be up in arms at even the thought of such thing, and I assumed that's why they've in the past chosen to operate low cost units from outstations...

The original Bargain Bus was out of Percy Main IIRC. I suppose the 'sweetener' of fewer lates/weekends may well suit some people. Not new income for GNE, but new income for Percy Main I guess.

On one hand it makes sense have the Whitley Bay locals operating out of Percy Main, I think coupled with the loss of other Nexus work and the murmurings about Quaylink it's an interesting time for Saltmeadows.
(29 Jul 2014, 11:40 am)Dan wrote But let's remember that 6118/19 will not be Volvo B9TLs, and instead, would be Volvo B5TLs..!

But what if the B9TL's were remaining Dealer Stock, Aren't the B9TL's due for the Arriva X93 not Dealer Stock.
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote But what if the B9TL's were remaining Dealer Stock, Aren't the B9TL's due for the Arriva X93 not Dealer Stock.
How many dealer stock Volvo B9TLs do you think they have?! Tongue
(29 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm)Chris wrote The original Bargain Bus was out of Percy Main IIRC. I suppose the 'sweetener' of fewer lates/weekends may well suit some people. Not new income for GNE, but new income for Percy Main I guess.

I always thought that GNE's Bargain Bus were operated out of their Ashington depot.
(29 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm)Dan wrote How many dealer stock Volvo B9TLs do you think they have?! Tongue

I would like to think quite a few to be honest, if they are able to supply Arriva with 6 I think it is, sure they could supply 2 to Go North East.
Site Administrator
(29 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I would like to think quite a few to be honest, if they are able to supply Arriva with 6 I think it is, sure they could supply 2 to Go North East.
Not if other operators have nabbed them first.
(29 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm)AdamY wrote I always thought that GNE's Bargain Bus were operated out of their Ashington depot.

I think the 'original' was service 308 between Newcastle and Blyth. Exactly the same as Arrivas 308 and it was running at the time?
(29 Jul 2014, 1:05 pm)Robert wrote I think the 'original' was service 308 between Newcastle and Blyth. Exactly the same as Arrivas 308 and it was running at the time?

I thought the original were services X42 and X43 which ran between Newcastle and Blyth. I'm pretty sure, although I may be wrong, that service 308 was absorbed into the brand at a later date.