You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(29 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm)AdamY wrote I always thought that GNE's Bargain Bus were operated out of their Ashington depot.

It transferred there when they took over Northumbria Coaches, but when it was originally set up it was out of Percy Main on the 308.

Sorry Robert - Dunno how to copy your post into this one as well!
(29 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm)AdamY wrote I always thought that GNE's Bargain Bus were operated out of their Ashington depot.

They were - then when Arriva and GNE did the swap with Arriva's (at the time) Hexham, some DAFs were traded with Arriva in exchange for some MPDs and IIRC, B10BLEs for the Toon Link. That's if my memory serves correctly - also, a lot of DAFs that GNE kept were disturbed around the company (the Lambton Worm Prestiges amongst them).
(29 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I would like to think quite a few to be honest, if they are able to supply Arriva with 6 I think it is, sure they could supply 2 to Go North East.

Plus, would GNE want to add 2 'non standard' vehicles onto one of their prime routes? I'd imagine the dealer stock to be of a standard spec, so would they up-spec them? Wi-fi, CCTV, next stop, quad density seating etc would all just up the price if they were retrofitted.
(29 Jul 2014, 1:20 pm)Chris wrote It transferred there when they took over Northumbria Coaches, but when it was originally set up it was out of Percy Main on the 308.

Sorry Robert - Dunno how to copy your post into this one as well!

I'm going to stick to my guns and say that the Bargain Bus brand was started with services X42 and X43 before other services were added to the brand.

I am basing this on a quick image search which shows services X42 and X43 operating under the brand from 2007 whereas I can only find an image dating to 2009 for service 308.

I may be wrong though!
(29 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm)Dan wrote How many dealer stock Volvo B9TLs do you think they have?! Tongue

None is the answer - Arriva and East Yorkshire purchased the last 12.

(29 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote I would like to think quite a few to be honest, if they are able to supply Arriva with 6 I think it is, sure they could supply 2 to Go North East.

You do know Arriva paid £1million for the 6, and that doesn't include their refurbishment with high-back seats and WiFi.
Go North East - Latest
Bit of a random question but I have never travelled on a venture solo and was wondering if the next stop announcements work on them, particularly on the rural 689. Anyone know?
(29 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm)randomdude wrote Bit of a random question but I have never travelled on a venture solo and was wondering if the next stop announcements work on them, particularly on the rural 689. Anyone know?

It's been a while since I was last on one, can't remember if I heard anything on it.
Go North East - Latest
(29 Jul 2014, 4:33 pm)Marcus wrote It's been a while since I was last on one, can't remember if I heard anything on it.

Yeah it's just with the 689 being of a rural nature and having hail and ride sections, I was wondering how the next stop announcements are structured.
Well the only thing that I can think off is Deptford losing one of their two of their spares or Percy relying on Lolynes. Anyway, just a question to you folks, what would you all say are the top ten profitable routes for GNE? Here's mine in order:

- Angel, Citylink, TEN, Red Arrows, Fab 56, Laser, Cobalt Clipper, X66, Prince Bishops, Connections 4.
(29 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well the only thing that I can think off is Deptford losing one of their two of their spares or Percy relying on Lolynes. Anyway, just a question to you folks, what would you all say are the top ten profitable routes for GNE? Here's mine in order:

- Angel, Citylink, TEN, Red Arrows, Fab 56, Laser, Cobalt Clipper, X66, Prince Bishops, Connections 4.

I've been told many a time that the Angel makes is the most profitable overall, so that would be my top one as well. Here's just my top 10;

1. The Angel
2. Fab56
3. TEN
4. X66
5. Red Arrows
6. Citylink
7. Prince Bishops
8. Cobalt Clipper
9. Pronto
10. Diamond
(29 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Well the only thing that I can think off is Deptford losing one of their two of their spares or Percy relying on Lolynes. Anyway, just a question to you folks, what would you all say are the top ten profitable routes for GNE? Here's mine in order:

Why should Deptford loose 1 of the spares though?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(29 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm)Marcus wrote I've been told many a time that the Angel makes is the most profitable overall, so that would be my top one as well. Here's just a rough list;

1. The Angel
2. Fab56
3. TEN
4. X66
5. Red Arrows
6. Citylink
7. Prince Bishops
8. Cobalt Clipper
9. Pronto
10. Diamond

I've been told before it was as follows (to my memory):

1. Angel
2. Fab56
3. Laser
4. Red Arrows
5. TEN
6. Prince Bishops

Can't remember it after then. Don't recall Citylink, Pronto or Diamond being in the top 10.
(29 Jul 2014, 6:04 pm)Dan wrote I've been told before it was as follows (to my memory):

1. Angel
2. Fab56
3. Laser
4. Red Arrows
5. TEN
6. Prince Bishops

Can't remember it after then. Don't recall Citylink, Pronto or Diamond being in the top 10.

Oh, the Citylink, Pronto and Diamond were just my top brands Tongue - I'll edit my post so it's less confusing.

I've also been told that the N21 is the most profitable night bus, but then again there's only a couple of other routes that it competes with.
(29 Jul 2014, 6:07 pm)Marcus wrote Oh, the Citylink, Pronto and Diamond were just my top brands Tongue - I'll edit my post so it's less confusing.

I've also been told that the N21 is the most profitable night bus, but then again there's only a couple of other routes that it competes with.

People have said to me in the past that Arriva's 308 is the most profitable route in the North East. I think that excluding the three Busways operations (Newcastle, South Shields and Sunderland), I'd say the top 10 profitable routes in the North East are:

- GNE 21
- ANE 308
- GNE 56
- GNE 35
- GNE X1
- ANE X21 / X22
- GNE 10
- ANE X10 / X11
- GNE 20
- ANE 7
Optare Solo SRs 625: NK11 HBB, 627: NK61 DBY and 631: NK61 FEU have been transferred from Saltmeadows to Percy Main.

Are these for the W services in Whitley Bay instead of the long hike to Saltmeadows or is it there for other routes possibly a trial on North Tyne Links? Might well work in my opinion Solos might come in to replace more MPDs
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(29 Jul 2014, 7:00 pm)Racer_Experience wrote Optare Solo SRs 625: NK11 HBB, 627: NK61 DBY and 631: NK61 FEU have been transferred from Saltmeadows to Percy Main.

Are these for the W services in Whitley Bay instead of the long hike to Saltmeadows or is it there for other routes possibly a trial on North Tyne Links? Might well work in my opinion Solos might come in to replace more MPDs

Already discussed earlier today. You are correct though. It is for the 'W' services.
(29 Jul 2014, 7:04 pm)Robert wrote Already discussed earlier today. You are correct though. It is for the 'W' services.

Wonder what PM will use when a solo is vor ?
(29 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm)park5354 wrote Wonder what PM will use when a solo is vor ?

No idea! Can't really use a B9 so I guess a B10?
(29 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote People have said to me in the past that Arriva's 308 is the most profitable route in the North East. I think that excluding the three Busways operations (Newcastle, South Shields and Sunderland), I'd say the top 10 profitable routes in the North East are:

- GNE 21
- ANE 308
- GNE 56
- GNE 35
- GNE X1
- ANE X21 / X22
- GNE 10
- ANE X10 / X11
- GNE 20
- ANE 7

What about Stagecoach's 39/40? They're every 5 minutes combined and always full!
(29 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm)Tom wrote No idea! Can't really use a B9 so I guess a B10?

B10's are a bit long for those estate roads and are not Euro 4/5. Which would only leave an MPD which are not Euro 4/5 either.
(29 Jul 2014, 7:33 pm)BJ10VUS wrote What about Stagecoach's 39/40? They're every 5 minutes combined and always full!

That comes under Busways.
(29 Jul 2014, 7:43 pm)park5354 wrote B10's are a bit long for those estate roads and are not Euro 4/5. Which would only leave an MPD which are not Euro 4/5 either.

The B10s are Euro 4.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(29 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm)Tom wrote The B10s are Euro 4.
Precisely.

I'm not sure what the contract Euro rating stipulation is for the 'W' services (although I'd imagine you would know, park?), but assuming it's Euro 4... Percy Main have got lots of vehicles they can use thanks to Eminox modifications performed on these vehicles!
(29 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote That comes under Busways.

Oh, didn't read that as closely as I should have. Apologies! I'd otherwise agree though!
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet...but the new timetable for the X21 seems to show the frequency is now every 15 minutes at peak times between Durham and newcastle!
(29 Jul 2014, 6:54 pm)AdamY wrote Cheers for that. I knew my mind wasn't playing tricks on me in this instance.

So, were services X42/43 based at Ashington or Percy Main?

It was when GNE bought Northumbria Coaches, their gained the buses and the depot at Ashington, which started the mini bus war between GNE and Arriva, which ended by Arriva having Ashington depot and GNE having Hexham depot.