Menu

Pages (40)    138 39 40   
Michael   31 Jul 2014, 11:59 am
(31 Jul 2014, 11:37 am)Chris wrote Or that that investment will indeed be Mercs for the X66.

The 58 had a Streetlite Max demo for a while but then ended up with Versas. Versas for the X66 have certainly been hinted at too.

I would think it would get citaros over anything else.
Just because they are posher than the versa and its one of their main routes.

Rob menioned a while back: Single deckers on a increased frequancy for the X66.

Lets hope it moves on to the lime next.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 11:59 am)Michael wrote I would think it would get citaros over anything else.

The X66 hardly requires a vehicle which will cash in at, what, 20k more? Per vehicle..?

A light weight Versa would drastically reduce running costs and 5389/90 have been trialled on Saturdays when the PVR is 5 opposed to 4, and as far as I am aware, it has been successful.

In addition, if Versas are ordered, 5389/90 can continue to act as spares - only four would have to be ordered for the X66.
cbma06   31 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm
Why does GNE need a Mercedes Citaro demonstrator?, when GNE has a lot of these buses already, unless this demonstrator has any kind of upgrade since their received the Citaros for service 4. their only have to take a bus off service 4 and trial it on the X66 and lime branded services. unless it didn't cost anything as a courtesy of GNE purchasing more Mercs.

Im hoping that their be solos coming for the East Durham brand this year (just like venture did).

Michael   31 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm)Dan wrote The X66 hardly requires a vehicle which will cash in at, what, 20k more? Per vehicle..?

A light weight Versa would drastically reduce running costs and 5389/90 have been trialled on Saturdays when the PVR is 5 opposed to 4, and as far as I am aware, it has been successful.

In addition, if Versas are ordered, 5389/90 can continue to act as spares - only four would have to be ordered for the X66.

So why have they got a citaro on demo purposes if its gonna cost more to run them?

seems like its wasting time on the X66 when it could be used else where.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 12:09 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm)cbma06 wrote Why does GNE need a Mercedes Citaro demonstrator?, when GNE has a lot of these buses already, unless this demonstrator has any kind of upgrade since their received the Citaros for service 4. their only have to take a bus off service 4 and trial it on the X66 and lime branded services. unless it didn't cost anything as a courtesy of GNE purchasing more Mercs.

Im hoping that their be solos coming for the East Durham brand this year (just like venture did).

The vehicle is a Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro, Chris. Mechanically, it is different to the Citaros Go North East have in their fleet at present.

Demonstrator vehicles don't cost the operators anything - manufacturers often approach the operators so they can test suitability and this will hopefully increase the likelihood of an order from the operator in question.
Diamond One   31 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm
On another note 3873 is now red and guess what am gonna say next you guessed it I photographed it on 307 meanwhile 4976 is branded again for fast cats and yes I did manage a photo only just I must admit 3873 looks smart in red
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm)Michael wrote So why have they got a citaro on demo purposes if its gonna cost more to run them?

seems like its wasting time on the X66 when it could be used else where.
To trial it on different kinds of routes (the X66 not being particularly demanding but does see the vehicles go up to speeds of 50mph), and to compare it against the Versa.

It's highly unlikely GNE will get Mercs for the X66, but they'd be mad not to try it out against what they are likely to buy.
S813 FVK   31 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 11:34 am)Dan wrote A demonstrator vehicle doesn't always disctate whether or not a service receives investment!

That said, it's no secret that the X66 will receive investment this year...

Id say yes, it does. Any service that has a demonstrator on it during or close to the start of the financial year is a service that Go North East are looking to invest in. Obviously part of YJ62 FFBs trial wasnt to see if they would cope considering that the Diamond citaros had just gone onto the route the year before but the Citylink however did get an upgrade.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 12:20 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm)Robert wrote Id say yes, it does. Any service that has a demonstrator on it during or close to the start of the financial year is a service that Go North East are looking to invest in. [NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B]Obviously part of YJ62 FFBs trial wasnt to see if they would cope considering that the Diamond citaros had just gone onto the route the year before[/B] but the Citylink however did get an upgrade.

The Versa is a prime example of a demonstrator vehicle not dictating investment. It was merely used to compare against the Mercedes Citaro vehicles which are usually allocated to the "Diamond", obtaining information from drivers and passengers in regards to how the vehicle coped in the process. To my memory, it also assisted Stanley when they had a number of vehicles VOR...

Like Chris said above, Versas have been strongly suggested for the X66 and this is probably what will be ordered. Despite this, GNE would have been foolish not to compare the Euro 6 Merc against the Versa. Riverside benefits in the process, as they've gained an additional spare vehicle for the week - which will hopefully allow engineering to sort out any 'bigger' issues they have with the artics.
Michael   31 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm)Dan wrote [Image: 14607244060_94efc9aa0a.jpg]Go North East: 91xx / BP14FJZ by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14607300099_22e73b31d5.jpg]Go North East: 91xx / BP14FJZ by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

Looks quite smart in Grey

if its 12.1m in length, how many people can it hold?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm)Michael wrote Looks quite smart in Grey

if its 12.1m in length, how many people can it hold?

Roughly the same as the Connections4 ones.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   31 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm
4941 may possibly be taken off the road. The coolant is smoking and the leak is quite bad. Not a bus mechanic but I would say that this shouldn't be happening?
Malarkey   31 Jul 2014, 2:20 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm)Dan wrote [Image: 14607244060_94efc9aa0a.jpg]Go North East: 91xx / BP14FJZ by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

[Image: 14607300099_22e73b31d5.jpg]Go North East: 91xx / BP14FJZ by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
Has it gone out for in Service yet Dan
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 2:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Has it gone out for in Service yet Dan

Drivers have to receive familiarisation on the vehicle yet.
The X66 rota is fairly small (which is why you always see the same drivers on there), so it shouldn't take too long for all drivers on that rota to receive driver familiarisation.

After this is completed, it will go out in service (I'm inclined to suggest Monday - but don't take that as gospel).
Simmy   31 Jul 2014, 2:26 pm
Not sure if it has been mentioned - I noticed a 'red spare' B7TL / Gemini 1 being driven around the Metrocentre Interchange at around 1:30/2PM yesterday afternoon. The blind displayed "Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014" or something similar.

I am guessing that certain vehicles have started to return from Glasgow, as surely they wouldn't send a vehicle down here only to send it back up in a day or two.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   31 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm)Dan wrote Drivers have to receive familiarisation on the vehicle yet.
The X66 rota is fairly small (which is why you always see the same drivers on there), so it shouldn't take too long for all drivers on that rota to receive driver familiarisation.

After this is completed, it will go out in service (I'm inclined to suggest Monday - but don't take that as gospel).

Isn't the X66 rota fairly similar to the TTX rota?
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 2:26 pm)Simmy wrote Not sure if it has been mentioned - I noticed a 'red spare' B7TL / Gemini 1 being driven around the Metrocentre Interchange at around 1:30/2PM yesterday afternoon. The blind displayed "Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014" or something similar.

I am guessing that certain vehicles have started to return from Glasgow, as surely they wouldn't send a vehicle down here only to send it back up in a day or two.

To my memory, I think it was 3963 (I didn't take a photograph) - was parked up in Riverside earlier.

3941 is also coming back today.
Chris   31 Jul 2014, 2:58 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm)Marcus wrote Isn't the X66 rota fairly similar to the TTX rota?

I would imagine both are discreet rotas - TTX because all of the drivers will be on EU regs and X66 because of the additional training to handle the artics.
Chris   31 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 11:59 am)Michael wrote I would think it would get citaros over anything else.

I'm still fancying Versas for it myself, more so given Dans comments re 5389/90.

When I've used the service in the past, most passengers appear to be key card holders so i'm not sure if it could justify the Mercs.

That said, the demo does look nice like!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
G-CPTN   31 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm)Robert wrote 4941 may possibly be taken off the road. The coolant is smoking and the leak is quite bad. Not a bus mechanic but I would say that this shouldn't be happening?

Modern (current) cooling systems rely on pressurisation to prevent the coolant from 'boiling' (temperatures are typically in excess of 100 degrees C).

If a leak occurs, the escaping fluid will vaporize (ie 'smoke') as it 'boils' in the atmospheric environment (ie not contained and pressurised).
What you are seeing is steam.

It is because of the pressurisation that care should be taken when dealing with cooling systems as the fluid is likely to be very very hot (ie above boiling).

But you are correct - it shouldn't be happening.
Andreos1   31 Jul 2014, 3:28 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 3:14 pm)Chris wrote I'm still fancying Versas for it myself, more so given Dans comments re 5389/90.

When I've used the service in the past, most passengers appear to be key card holders so i'm not sure if it could justify the Mercs.

That said, the demo does look nice like!

Agree with you there.

Most passengers using the service, will have arrived into Gateshead on another service, so will likely have a pre-paid ticket of some description.

Obviously if it is a conc pass or Network Ticket, there will be some sort of reimbursement and some income will be allocated to the service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Dan   31 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm
Quick update on the Merc... It has been allocated fleet number 9120. Wink
DanPicken   31 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm)Dan wrote Quick update on the Merc... It has been allocated fleet number 9120. Wink

Shouldn't it not be 9130. As otherwise where have 9130-9121 disappeared.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
cbma06   31 Jul 2014, 4:15 pm
Just been looking on DCC website, as it has the new X35 timetable for 31st August 2014, only thing I can see that it operates 1 minute earlier from Sunderland Interchange.

http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/announcements.asp

http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/tt2/X35.pdf

Tom   31 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm
Will Chester be operating the College X21s? If so, what with?
L469 YVK   31 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm)Tom wrote Will Chester be operating the College X21s? If so, what with?

Either spare buses or do what GNE does with the 310 and X1 and what Arriva does with the 306 by moving buses onto express services during peak times whilst slightly reducing frequency but diverting resorces where more popular or needed.
R852 PRG   31 Jul 2014, 4:43 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm)Tom wrote Will Chester be operating the College X21s? If so, what with?

I would imagine they would be by either Crook or Chester, possibly could interwork with a few Chester scholars? Maybe even one could drift off a College run onto that 814 from Durham to L. Park?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stueybish   31 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 4:43 pm)Marcus wrote I would imagine they would be by either Crook or Chester, possibly could interwork with a few Chester scholars? Maybe even one could drift off a College run onto that 814 from Durham to L. Park?

Crook will be running both X21 College Specials. The 0759 Spennymoor-Framwellgate Moor will be operated by Chester-le-St
Michael   31 Jul 2014, 6:08 pm
(31 Jul 2014, 4:15 pm)cbma06 wrote Just been looking on DCC website, as it has the new X35 timetable for 31st August 2014, only thing I can see that it operates 1 minute earlier from Sunderland Interchange.

http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/announcements.asp

http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/tt2/X35.pdf

Its also on the GNE site although its still in the rubbish style and doesn't show the black cats buses etc

Looking the list on the DDC site..

It seems the 28/28A is also changing from the same date, GNE have yet to upload the new timetable on their site.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Pages (40)    138 39 40