You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East - Latest
42 - Doxford International - Moorside - Doxford Park Shops - Silksworth - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Grangetown - Sunderland - Royal Hospital - Pennywell

Silksworth to Doxford International via Silksworth Road - Silksworth Way - DP Way - DP Shops - DP Way - Moorside - Doxford International

Replacing Service 39
(17 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote 42 - Doxford International - Moorside - Doxford Park Shops - Silksworth - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Grangetown - Sunderland - Royal Hospital - Pennywell

Silksworth to Doxford International via Silksworth Road - Silksworth Way - DP Way - DP Shops - DP Way - Moorside - Doxford International

Replacing Service 39

So that would leave burdon road with no bus service not a good idea
(17 Aug 2014, 11:25 pm)Acky81 wrote So that would leave burdon road with no bus service not a good idea

Could split it into 42/42A Then, Problem solved.

*Just noticed I have put it into the wrong Thread, could the Admins move it into the correct one please, Thanks*
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(17 Aug 2014, 11:25 pm)Acky81 wrote So that would leave burdon road with no bus service not a good idea

Don't you mean Toward Road
RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(17 Aug 2014, 6:03 pm)Acky81 wrote The old 133 used to extend to Doxford

Only reason certain journeys went to Doxford Park was that their were duplicating Redby travel 133, until Go ahead purchase their buses and continued to run the service for a short period of time.

Their was a short time ago, that the old GNE MD mentioned that their looking to extend service 42 from Silksworth to Doxford Park via a bus only lane between Silksworth terminus to Doxford Park Mill Hill section, but the council declined the suggestion and the bus lane wasn't built.

(17 Aug 2014, 11:53 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Don't you mean Toward Road

No burdon road passing goathland drive and ruswarp close. Between tunstall and Doxford park
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(19 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm)Acky81 wrote No burdon road passing goathland drive and ruswarp close. Between tunstall and Doxford park

Ah right, I apologise, thought you was meaning Burdon Rd in The Town
(19 Aug 2014, 10:02 pm)marxistafozzski wrote Ah right, I apologise, thought you was meaning Burdon Rd in The Town

It's ok I understand don't know why we have 2 burdon roads lol
How are passenger numbers on the V9?
If they are good, could a 47 be extended to Consett to provide bigger buses on the service, and the long journeys could be operated by Stanley. The 47 would work standalone, as would the 11, and the 31/32 would interwork.
Just wondering about the 923...

Apart from peaks and shift changes at nPower, loads are poor.

I wonder if it would be possible to extend it to Houghton or beyond?

Not only would this give passengers from Houghton an alternative to the x35, it could help passenger numbers.

Peterlee - Rainton Bridge - Houghton - Dox Intl - Dox Park.

or

Peterlee - Rainton Bridge - Houghton - Shiney Row - Barnwell.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 Aug 2014, 4:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Just wondering about the 923...

Apart from peaks and shift changes at nPower, loads are poor.

I wonder if it would be possible to extend it to Houghton or beyond?

Not only would this give passengers from Houghton an alternative to the x35, it could help passenger numbers.

Peterlee - Rainton Bridge - Houghton - Dox Intl - Dox Park.

or

Peterlee - Rainton Bridge - Houghton - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Barnwell.

Just inserting a bit that you forgot about, hope you don't mind Wink
(20 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just inserting a bit that you forgot about, hope you don't mind Wink

As much as the FPF would love a bus to Peterlee, I don't think it would be realistic to expect it to happen.
Saying that, the 923 runs off early and doesn't run on a Sunday - so it would fit in with the schedules of the 20a, 35a and 71.
What harm would another bus during the day do Wink
I haven't looked at timetables, so no idea if it will work.

M2
Current 30min frequency between Heworth and Ayton.

M3
Current 30min frequency between Heworth and Birtley - operating into Birtley as M2 route (Vigo, Portmeads) and out via M3 (Durham Rd, Vigo Lane) route. It doesn't operate via Rickleton.

Current 30min frequency - diverted via Birtley, Fell Bank, Portmeads and then current route from Rickleton.

The current clockwise/anticlockwise route from Birtley to.Washington is maintained, along with the 15 min frequency to/from Birtley town centre.
(22 Aug 2014, 9:07 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote I haven't looked at timetables, so no idea if it will work.

M2
Current 30min frequency between Heworth and Ayton.

M3
Current 30min frequency between Heworth and Birtley - operating into Birtley as M2 route (Vigo, Portmeads) and out via M3 (Durham Rd, Vigo Lane) route.

Current 30min frequency - diverted via Birtley, Fell Bank, Portmeads and then current route from Rickleton.

The current clockwise/anticlockwise route from Birtley to.Washington is maintained, along with the 15 min frequency to/from Birtley town centre.

Scrap the diverted 8, and have the M2/M3 operate via M2 Route into Birtley and out via M3 Route, All links are maintained as are timings without the need to cross the road in Birtley and miss the Bus in the Process. It's a simple fix to be Honest.
(22 Aug 2014, 9:13 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Scrap the diverted 8, and have the M2/M3 operate via M2 Route into Birtley and out via M3 Route, All links are maintained as are timings without the need to cross the road in Birtley and miss the Bus in the Process. It's a simple fix to be Honest.

Which side of the road are the shops on in Birtley?
People will be crossing the road regardless.
(22 Aug 2014, 9:20 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Which side of the road are the shops on in Birtley?
People will be crossing the road regardless.

Well in that we'll come in via the M3 Route and back out via the M2 Route, then people won't have to cross the road.

Still don't see the point of the diverted 8, all that needs changing is the Clockwise/Anti Clockwise loop, to one way only.
(22 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Well in that we'll come in via the M3 Route and back out via the M2 Route, then people won't have to cross the road.

Still don't see the point of the diverted 8, all that needs changing is the Clockwise/Anti Clockwise loop, to one way only.

But they will still have to cross the road though - there are shops on both sides.
That's what I was saying about having to cross the road regardless.

Doris still needs to sort her pension out at the Post Office, before crossing over to pay for her Chronicles and buying some mince for Fred's tea.

Frank needs to put his bet on, before nipping over to buy a small bunch of flowers for Freda by way of an apology, after he was late back home from the club last Sunday.

If you have it one way as you suggest, you also have the issue of people on certain parts of the route being able to get a bus to the shops, but unable to get a direct bus home (or vice versa and being unable to get a bus to the shops!)
If Doris has got on at Portmeads on the M2 route into Birtley and they are operating one way, how does she get home?
Similarly, if the bus goes the M2 route out of Birtley, how does she get down to the shops?

There needs to be the circular route at the Birtley end.
Anyone know what the passenger numbers are like on the X84/X85 on a Sunday, even though it only runs twice there and back?

Would it be possible to add any more during the day time?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Aug 2014, 11:47 am)Michael wrote Anyone know what the passenger numbers are like on the X84/X85 on a Sunday, even though it only runs twice there and back?

Would it be possible to add any more during the day time?

It's always possible, but they'd probably have to change the 74A as well, as it works in with that.
(24 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm)BJ10VUS wrote It's always possible, but they'd probably have to change the 74A as well, as it works in with that.

I wasnt sure if it still interworked with the 74A
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
4 - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

4A - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Newbottle - Coaly Lane/Blind Lane - Brinkburn Crescent/Station Road - Houghton le Spring

Every 20 Minutes/Combined Every 10 Minutes - Clockwise/Anti Clockwise Loop Between Shiney Row and Houghton le Spring - Interworking at Houghton le Spring.

Interworking Pattern

4 - Heworth to Houghton
4A - Houghton to Heworth
4A - Heworth to Houghton
4 - Houghton to Heworth

And Vice Versa
(24 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm)Michael wrote I wasnt sure if it still interworked with the 74A

I think so, or at least they're still using MPDs on the journeys I've seen. I think there's scope for Sunday journeys on the X84 and X85 though
For Citylink and Cobalt Clipper, here's my idea:

- 58 kept in current forum under Citylink Brand between Newcastle and Heworth with a PVR of 9 + 1 spare. 4 transferred to Percy Main.

- 309 kept in current form but increased to every 30 mins during evenings. Kept under the Cobalt Clipper Brand with B9TL's with a PVR of 11 + 1 spare. Still operating from Stand M.

- 310 kept in current form but operating via the Coast Rd side road rather than High Farm. Increased to every 30 mins during evenings. Operated by 4 from Citylink + 3 new order Versas under the Centurion Brand. Would run from stand N Mon to Sat and stand M evenings and Sundays.

- 305 introduced under the Centurion Brand brand with 5 new order Optare Versas + 1 spare for both the 305 / 310. Note that no interworking would occur for any service. Operating via current 58 route between Hadrian Park and Battle Hill then current 310 from there to Newcastle. Operating every 15 mins Mon to Sat with evening and Sunday journeys operating half hourly. Would operate from Stand M at all times.

- Services 305, 309 and 310 would operate up to every 5 mins Mon to Sat between Battle Hill and Newcastle and every 10 mins during evenings and Sundays.
X6 - Durham to Darlington, via this route: https://goo.gl/maps/sf26I

I don't think it's worth going head to head with Arriva's 7 straight down the A167, hence turning on to the A1 between junctions 59 and 60. This, and the short stretch along the A689 between junction 60 on the A1 and Sedgefield, would allow the bus to catch up to timetable if delayed in either Durham or Darlington.

It would of course provide new links, such as Darlington, Sedgefield, Coxhoe, Bowburn, Shincliffe, Durham Uni, and New Elvet, in what I'd reckon could be done in an hour. 9 minutes faster than the 7. If it were timed right, and linked with the X21 for connections, then you're providing an hour and a half express between Darlington and Newcastle. Very similar to the Pronto X21 between Bishop and Newcastle.

Potential operation for Crook too!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Sep 2014, 4:02 pm)aureolin wrote X6 - Durham to Darlington, via this route: https://goo.gl/maps/sf26I

I don't think it's worth going head to head with Arriva's 7 straight down the A167, hence turning on to the A1 between junctions 59 and 60. This, and the short stretch along the A689 between junction 60 on the A1 and Sedgefield, would allow the bus to catch up to timetable if delayed in either Durham or Darlington.

It would of course provide new links, such as Darlington, Sedgefield, Coxhoe, Bowburn, Shincliffe, Durham Uni, and New Elvet, in what I'd reckon could be done in an hour. 9 minutes faster than the 7. If it were timed right, and linked with the X21 for connections, then you're providing an hour and a half express between Darlington and Newcastle. Very similar to the Pronto X21 between Bishop and Newcastle.

It would roughly take around the same amount of time as the 7 between Darlington and Durham. It would offer new links to Darlington from Coxhoe, Bowburn and Shincliffe and a faster service from Sedgefield to Darlington than the 21. Not sure if it would be a success though as Arriva used to run service 13 from Durham to Darlington and it carried not many passengers although that was probably because it used to take all eternity to get to Darlington, I did the 13 from Durham to Newton Aycliffe once when I was a kid and I lost the will to live as it took forever because it seemed to go via the world.
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(06 Sep 2014, 5:20 pm)Jimmi wrote It would roughly take around the same amount of time as the 7 between Darlington and Durham. It would offer new links to Darlington from Coxhoe, Bowburn and Shincliffe and a faster service from Sedgefield to Darlington than the 21. Not sure if it would be a success though as Arriva used to run service 13 from Durham to Darlington and it carried not many passengers although that was probably because it used to take all eternity to get to Darlington, I did the 13 from Durham to Newton Aycliffe once when I was a kid and I lost the will to live as it took forever because it seemed to go via the world.

Difference between what I propose and the 7 is that my proposal has the ability to burn down time using the A1. It wouldn't be hugely faster than the 7, but I reckon it's possible to keep it to an hour, by making it limited stop express.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(06 Sep 2014, 4:02 pm)aureolin wrote X6 - Durham to Darlington, via this route: https://goo.gl/maps/sf26I

Good idea.
I suggested a similar idea a while back, but proposed it went through Aycliffe and then onto the A1 from the A689.
702 - Seaburn Morrisons - Roker - Stadium of Light - Castletown - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Pallion - Royal Hospital - Sunderland Interchange - Eye Infirmary - Leechmere Road Asda - Grangetown
would be nice to introduce an ASDA shuttle again i used to use this as one of my 1st GNE journeys back then it was known as Go Ahead Northern under the Wear Buses livery i used to like traveling to ASDA with my papa on the Leyland Olympian was a nice fast bus at the time my mum still worked at Boldon was great for shopping but my sister would have been too young to remember but i enjoyed the ride on the way back home it was a leyland national and i really enjoyed the 2 rides home and Asda and back i loved it with my Dad
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out