Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Go North East: Service Suggestions | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Service Suggestions
(25 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Yeah I do, Have it run like the Quaylink and Sunderland Connect Services do. Otherwise no one would really use it

I'd add this to 'email Nexus and point out how good we are and how useless they are' list

(25 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Yeah I do, Have it run like the Quaylink and Sunderland Connect Services do. Otherwise no one would really use it

I'd add this to 'email Nexus and point out how good we are and how useless they are' list
(25 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm)gtomlinson wrote

Hahaha they are useless and yeah it is a great idea, so yes add to your email to Nexus.
(24 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote 24 - Chester le Street - Picktree Village - Vigo Lane - Birtley - B1288 Mount Pleasent Road - Wrekenton - Harlow Green - Allerdene - Low Fell - Shipcote - Gateshead - Newcastle

24A - Chsster le Street - Birtley - Kibblesworth - Team Valley South - Low Fell - Shipcote - Gateshead - Newcastle

Both those suggestions work for me. Especially the 24A. Team Valley really hasn't got the service such an employment hotspot deserves.

(25 Jun 2013, 1:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, the 721, 727 and 777 all went up that way, but stopped on Old Durham Road. Quite a hike for an older person or someone with a disability - or for me (whether its raining or not).
There has never been anything that has gone along Queen Elizabeth Avenue though or even in to the car park.

The 777 is one of those services that could still work today. Extremely handy for those in Washington, whichever way you were going. Stopped off at a good couple of bars at Fatfield too Wink
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Yeah, the 777 was a handy bus - possibly too handy for GNE to make any money from us mere passengers Wink....

Mind as far as Nexus is concerned, they might have one or two issues - but at least they step in to help us mere passengers when the commercial operators aren't interested in us i.e once their pockets aren't lined as much as they would like
NEB Admin Team
Unregistered
Overall, I'm pleased with the recent changes GNE have implemented in North Sunderland, despite not living there anymore! Tongue I travel to Sunderland on Saturdays for work so I do get to use the services.

But there are some things that niggle me. I'm not keen on the duplication of route shared by 36/36A and 99 around North Sunderland. Last Saturday, a Cadet on the 36A broke down in Hylton Castle, and passengers ended up boarding the 99 instead of waiting for the replacement bus. This section of route didn't need the increase in frequency from 2 an hour to 3. 36/36A now also duplicates the 73 between Sunderland and Enterprise Park/Castletown via Trimdon Street.

The 73 is a bit of an oddball service I reckon, the route is just too messy and the only serving Coach Road Estate in one direction baffles me. The 99 has been ruined now by no longer serving Morrisons car park. I believe the route to Seaburn Morrisons has been under threat for some time due to the recent opening of Sainsbury's at Castletown, and now the new Tesco at Wheatsheaf. I think the route should be just pulled out of Seaburn once and for all and re-directed to the new Wheatsheaf development and the city centre. I'd quite like to see a re-organising of the 73, the 99, and the 37 in Washington.

99 would be withdrawn in its present form. Hourly service 37 would operate clockwise from Washington Galleries to Coach Road Estate, Concord, Waterview Park, Castletown, Enterprise Park, Southwick, Wheatsheaf (for new Tesco retail development), Sunderland city centre, Trimdon Street B&Q, Pallion, Royal Hospital, Silksworth, Doxford International and Shiney Row; before returning to Washington Galleries. Hourly service 73 would operate this circular route in the anticlockwise direction. 37/73 would operate in continuous circles, operating across Washington Galleries in both directions.

A new service 99 would operate hourly between Hylton Castle and Silksworth via Southwick, Sunderland city centre, Pallion, and Royal Hospital. The 99 would combine with 37/73 to form a 30 minute service between Southwick, Wheatsheaf, Sunderland city centre, Trimdon Street, Pallion, Royal Hospital and Silksworth. 99 also coordinates with existing X36 to offer a bus every 30 minutes between Downhill, Red House, Ramsgate Road, Marley Pots, Southwick, and Sunderland. 37/73 would also coordinate to offer an improved 30 minute frequency between Concord and Coach Road Estate. There is also a new direct link from Silksworth to Doxford Park Shops, Doxford International, and Washington.

37/73 retains the link between Castletown/Enterprise Park and Pallion/Royal Hospital/Silksworth on existing 99. New 99 retains the link provided by the existing 99 from Hylton Castle/Town End Farm/Downhill/Red House to Pallion/Royal Hospital/Silksworth. 37/73 and 99 also provides a brand new direct service from Pallion to the new Tesco retail development at Wheatsheaf every half hour. By routing 37/73 via Southwick and Wheatsheaf between Castletown and Sunderland, this provides a new direct link from Wheatsheaf and Southwick to the Enterprise Park, and also increases the number of buses from Castletown to the new Wheatsheaf Tesco from 2 to 3 when combined with the 26.

To give passenger numbers on the southern section of 36/36A a boost, I'd quite like to see buses divert to serve the Clacton Road terminus in Hylton Castle. This is a huge catchment area and would only add two minutes to running times, leaving a still decent four minutes layover at Sunderland.

I think these services could be partly commercial, with Nexus perhaps securing certain journeys and paying a contribution towards the running costs of other trips.

I believe the overall PVR would increase from 5 to 6, but for the new links generated I think it would be worth it. Just an idea anyway, I've had a quick jot of the running times if anyone is interested Tongue

.xlsx 37 73 99.xlsx
Funny enough there's a bus stop at the new tesco's next to Farmfoods but a full length bus like a Cadet wont be able to around, more like a Solor SR, maybe the 700 could extend to that bus stop, it would help.

I agree the 73 and 99 are both messy routes, i really don't think the 99 will last, few times ive seen it, its being empty, GNE should just withdraw it and use cash else where.

I like your idea for the 37/73/99.

Tbh... we only have to wait till near end of the year and they will probley's change North of Sunderland again, they seem to change it every year
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
Brandon I would send that to GNE as I think that's quite good suggestions. The 37/73/99 at the minute are a bit of an odd service. I think these links would make then suitable in the long term. I do think a bit of branding wouldn't go a miss in north Sunderland.. There's the 26 Northern, 36/36A Northern, X36 Northern, 99 Unbranded, 37 Generic Nexus. I think establishing a brand possibly similar to 'East Durham'/Venture brand for the 26/36/99/73/37 would be good, it's all just bit bland.
To be brutally honest the 73 would of been scrapped years ago if it wasn't for the OAP's who live at Coach Road in Washington when all have to do is walk to nearest Bus Stop which there is like 8 on the perimeter of coach road and about 150-200 yards walk in each direction with a bus every few minutes on each side.

Personally i'd scrap the 73 from operating Coach Road and have it replaced by a TaxiBus Service once an hour Between Coach Road - Concord - Washington.

I do quite like the idea of the 37/73 working in circular routes and interworking with each other, I don't agree with them being once an hour though at Every 30 Minute Frequency across parts of the route. I'd have them maintain there current half hourly frequencies with a every 15 minute frequency across parts of the route.

My route would be:

Washington Galleries - Biddick Woods - Shiney Row - Herrington Burn - East Herrington - Doxford International - Doxford Park Shops - Farringdon - Silksworth - Barnes Park - Royal Hospital - Sunderland Interchange - Fawcett Street - Wheatsheaf - Castletown - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Washington District 15 Exit - Waterview Park - Teal Farm - Peel Retail Park - Sulgrave - Concord - Washington Comprehensive School - Barmston - Washington Village - Glebe - Washington Galleries

Bit of a round the world trip by all means
(29 Jun 2013, 12:09 am)Adam Malarkey wrote To be brutally honest the 73 would of been scrapped years ago if it wasn't for the OAP's who live at Coach Road in Washington when all have to do is walk to nearest Bus Stop which there is like 8 on the perimeter of coach road and about 150-200 yards walk in each direction with a bus every few minutes on each side.

Personally i'd scrap the 73 from operating Coach Road and have it replaced by a TaxiBus Service once an hour Between Coach Road - Concord - Washington.

I do quite like the idea of the 37/73 working in circular routes and interworking with each other, I don't agree with them being once an hour though at Every 30 Minute Frequency across parts of the route. I'd have them maintain there current half hourly frequencies with a every 15 minute frequency across parts of the route.

My route would be:

Washington Galleries - Biddick Woods - Shiney Row - Herrington Burn - East Herrington - Doxford International - Doxford Park Shops - Farringdon - Silksworth - Barnes Park - Royal Hospital - Sunderland Interchange - Fawcett Street - Wheatsheaf - Castletown - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Washington District 15 Exit - Waterview Park - Teal Farm - Peel Retail Park - Sulgrave - Concord - Washington Comprehensive School - Barmston - Washington Village - Glebe - Washington Galleries

Bit of a round the world trip by all means

Does Farringdon/Silksworth need another service to the hosp alongside the Laser? Can't see Nexus paying for that, when there are already alternatives in the form of commercial routes.

Not sure if I mentioned it on here previously, but if GNE sent all of their local services via John St/Fawcett St and Monkwearmouth Bridge/Tesco - they would probs attract more passengers than at present sending them via Trimdon St.
It may be quicker for the bus to go over the Queen Alexandra bridge, but my guess is the majority of passengers then have to walk into Sunderland from Park Lane to do their shopping/get to work.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
Oh and the reason the 73 only serves coach road in one direction is that is designed just to give the local link of coach road-concord. The route goes Sulgrave-Concord (Stn E)-Coach Road-Concord (Stn B)-Sulgrave, by doing this it means locals can get on at coach road get off at concord stand B, but them the return journey is covered by the same route by getting on at concord stand E and alighting at coach road. This is assuming no one from coach road has any interest in traveling further afield like the galleries as if you took the bus from coach road and kept on until the galleries then for the return journey you would take the 73 to concord and change onto the 73 going the opposite way to get you back to coach road. Confusing, but as a local link concord-coach road it does what it needs to do. Obviously timings restrict it too as having it serve coach road in the other direction would either increase the PVR to 3 (using a another bus) or timings would be really tight allowing for no time layover at either end of the route.
(28 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Brandon I would send that to GNE as I think that's quite good suggestions. The 37/73/99 at the minute are a bit of an odd service. I think these links would make then suitable in the long term. I do think a bit of branding wouldn't go a miss in north Sunderland.. There's the 26 Northern, 36/36A Northern, X36 Northern, 99 Unbranded, 37 Generic Nexus. I think establishing a brand possibly similar to 'East Durham'/Venture brand for the 26/36/99/73/37 would be good, it's all just bit bland.

Service 37/73 are secured by Nexus, any bus changes will have to go through Nexus.

37/37A - Sunderland Interchange - Royal Hospital - Pennywell - A19 - Doxford International - Doxford Park Shops - East Herrington - Herrington Burn - Shiney Row - Biddick Woods - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Washington Village - Barmston - Concord - Sulgrave - Peel Retail - Waterview Park - Castletown - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Sunderland Interchange

Every 30 Minutes - Every 15 Combined on an Interworking Loop
CatsFast101
Unregistered
I think it would be nice to have the 238 go to and termainte at Westlea Estate instead of Houghton, providing then a faster 265 service to Durham. The 238 would simply go as present to Station Road then turn up the mill inn bank then loop round Westlea (as the 265 does) then back the way it came. Then something else to do the Seaham-Seaton-Houghton section, personally I'd like to see the 71 extended as I've mentioned before.
I've also been working on a new Seaham circular service. Based loosely on the Durham County Council ran 215 service.
215: Seaham Harbour, Interchange - Deneside - Northlea - East Shore - Dene House Road - Seaham Harbour, Interchange - Marina - Dalton Park - Murton - Dalton-Le-Dale - Dawdon - Seaham Harbour, Interchange
215 Route:-
Seaham Interchange (South Crescent), North Railway Street, Vane Terrace, New Strangford Road, The Avenue, Kingston Avenue, Laurel Avenue, The Avenue, Parklands Terrace, Durham Street, Northlea Road, Burnhall Drive, Turning Circle, Burnhall Drive, Northlea Road, Station Road, Stockton Road, Hall Dene Road, Stockton Road, Lord Byrons Walk, B1287, East Shore Village, Dene House Road, Harbour Walk, Vane Terrace, Sophia Street, Viceroy Street, Seaham Interchange (South Crescent), Seaham Marina, A182, Dawdon Business Park, A182, Dalton Park, Woods Terrace, Barnes Road, Church Lane, Stockton Road, Dene Road, Princess Road, Queen Alexandra Road, Mount Stewart Street, Hill Crescent, A182, Foundry Road, Seaham Interchange (South Crescent).

Rough timings suggest that it would take 57 minutes round trip, hourly service- first departure at 9ish/ last departure 5ish. Interworking with the 877 Scholar service with PVR of 1.
Duty as follows:-

877:- 8:18am Station Road, Mill Inn-Seaham RC School (Arr. 8:47)^
215:- 8:52am Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 9:49)
215:- 9:52am Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 10:49)
215:- 10:52am Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 11:49)
215:- 11:52am Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 12:49)
215:- 12:52pm Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 1:49)
215:- 1:52pm Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 2:49)
215:- 2:52pm Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand C (Arr. 3:16)
877:- 3:25pm Seaham RC School-Station Road, Kestrel (Arr. 3:55)
215:- 4:05pm Interchange, Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 5:02)
215:- 5:02pm Interchange Stand A-Interchange, Stand A (Arr. 6:02)
How about extending one 71 an hour to Seaham (there should be enough time to add just two vehicles to the pvr with the Houghton - Seaham section do-able in 30mins each direction).

This would alternate with an hourly 266 service. Seaham - Gillas Lane - Burn Inn - Houghton - A690 - Rainton Bridge - West Rainton - East Rainton - Pittington - Sherburn Village - Sherburn Road - Gilesgate Bank - Durham.
It would need a PVR of two (if my workings are right of approx 60min journey in each direction).

To keep things right in Houghton, Seaham bound buses would need to swap over the road with the Sunderland services.

Edit - East Rainton THEN West Rainton...
Getting back to the Birtley town services, here are my suggestions.

The short 23 journey between Barley Mow and Birtley Crematorium would be replaced by new service 22. The 23 would also be rerouted between Barley Mow and Birtley (Station Lane) via Glenluce, Birtley Lane, Portmeads Road, Blackfell Way, Highridge, Mount Road and Birtley Lane providing a new link, in part, to the Northside area.

New service 22 would operate via the existing 23 route between Barley Mow and Wrekenton. From there it would operate via Easedale Gardens and Beacon Lough to the QE Hospital, continuing via Windy Nook, Chilside Road (High Felling), Felling Square, Gateshead Library to Gateshead Metro. This would provide a new link between High Felling and Gateshead (once provided by the M31) and also quicker links between Gateshead Civic Centre/Gateshead Library and Felling.

The 23 would be also rerouted to serve Galloping Green Lane in the Eighton Banks area, replacing, in part, taxi-bus service TB10.

Additionally, the 68 would be rerouted between the QE and Wrekenton to serve Rugby Gardens, Ebchester Avenue and Easington Avenue to replace taxi-bus TB10 in that area.

Potentially, taxi-bus TB14 would also be withdrawn in the Birtley area, replaced mostly by a revised 23 service.

The 22/23 would interwork with each other providing a half-hourly circular service around Birtley.

The PVR would be 3; and the PDF attached shows both route and timings.
.pdf 22-23-NEXUS-Birtley.pdf
27 - South Shields – Jarrow – Hebburn – Monkton Lane – Heworth – Sunderland Road – Gateshead - Newcastle

27A - Newcastle Eldon Square - Gateshead - Heworth - Hebburn - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - North Shields
Limited Stopping Service

27X - Newcastle City Centre - Heworth - Hebburn

33 - North Shields - Tyne Tunnel - Jarrow - South Shields
Cobalt Clipper
310/311 - North Shields - Meadow Well - West Chirton - Cobalt - Battle Hill Drive - High Farm - Coast Road - Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Hebburn - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - North Shields
Every 10 Minutes in both Directions, offering a range of New Links that currently only the Metro provides. i.e. Gateshead to Cobalt or Heworth to Cobalt

73/Silver Arrows

2A Sunderland - Chester Road - Hastings Hill - Barnwell - Fatfield - Biddick - Washington
2C Sunderland - Chester Road - Hastings Hill - Shiney Row - Harraton - Lambton - Washington
No Changes to Service

*New Service*
2B - Sunderland – Sunderland Enterprise Park - Waterview Park - Teal Farm – Peel Retail Park - Concord - Barmston - Washington Village - Glebe - Washington Galleries - Oxclose - Blackfell - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Q.E. Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle Eldon Square
*Note* X36 would start route from Pilgrim Street in Newcastle
2B Every 30 Minutes

*Revised Route/Replacing Service 68*
73 - Bill Quay - Pelaw - Heworth - Felling Square - Q.E. Hospital - Wrekenton - Springwell Village - Springwell - Donwell - Coach Road Estate - Concord - Albany - Washington Galleries - Biddick - Teal Farm - Waterview Park
Every 1 Hour

Blaydon Racers

49 - Winlaton - Blaydon - Swalwell - Metrocentre - Dunston - Gateshead - Shipcote - Low Fell - Allerdene - Harlow Green - Wrekenton - Birtley - Rickleton - Harraton - Lambton - Washington Galleries
Every 30 Minutes
No changes to 49A/B/C
Liking all the ideas on here.

Howver, we all know unless nexus introduce these routes that they are pipe dreams.

The aim of the GNE network as a whole, imo, outside the main flagship routes, is to get you to commit to Keycards and montly tickets
Hi Guys! - I have some suggestions for changes to the ''Wear Tees Express'' brand.

Service X7 will continue to operate hourly, via it's current route. But to provide a more frequent service, as well as providing new routes, a new X8 service should be introduced from Sunderland to Middlesbrough via Peterlee, Blackhall and Hartlepool, hourly.

Comments appreciated!
CatsFast101
Unregistered
I like the idea so it would provide a half-hourly service between Peterlee, Seaham & Sunderland, with a link through to Hartlepool, I quite like the idea. Loadings are certainly improving on the service everytime I've seen and buses are starting to run fullish.
(07 Jul 2013, 3:14 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I like the idea so it would provide a half-hourly service between Peterlee, Seaham & Sunderland, with a link through to Hartlepool, I quite like the idea. Loadings are certainly improving on the service everytime I've seen and buses are starting to run fullish.

They are which is fantastic! - 13 passengers on when it left Sunderland! Another benifit is that it should take passengers away from Arriva!
CatsFast101
Unregistered
Well I've seen buses where they have been few to no seats left, people are using it, tbh I'm not sure if GNE will extend it yet although I would like them too. As an investment in new buses is needed in the near future.
(07 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Well I've seen buses where they have been few to no seats left, people are using it, tbh I'm not sure if GNE will extend it yet although I would like them too. As an investment in new buses is needed in the near future.

Well I have sent them the suggestion! Not sure if you want to, the more the merrier! Smile
(07 Jul 2013, 1:43 pm)W179SCU wrote Hi Guys! - I have some suggestions for changes to the ''Wear Tees Express'' brand.

Service X7 will continue to operate hourly, via it's current route. But to provide a more frequent service, as well as providing new routes, a new X8 service should be introduced from Sunderland to Middlesbrough via Peterlee, Blackhall and Hartlepool, hourly.

Comments appreciated!

Should run an X8 on the opposite half hour of the X7 and instead of going to Seaham it should serve Dalton Park and from Peterlee it should go along Arriva route of service 21 between Peterlee and Darlington and have some sections as an express and the service could get extended from Darlington to Bishop Auckland if became successful, it would attract workers off Arriva service 21 then used to get the one bus straight to Sunderland instead of having to change onto another Arriva service to get to there destination, and use Peterlee as a hub for connecting express service to different destinations in County Durham, Tyne and Wear (Sunderland/Gateshead/Newcastle/Hartlepool) and Cleveland (Middlesbrough/Stockton).

At last, someone else appreciates the Dalton Park link Wink. Not sure about Darlo though - Bishop instead?

Sunderland - Dalton Park (I'd suggest via A690, Dox Park, A19) - Murton, Easington Lane, Haswell, Wingate, Quarrington Hill, Coxhoe, Spennymoor - current X21 route to Bishop. Bit of a dogs hind leg, but not certain of best/most populous route to Bishop from Dalton Park

Would make more sense when there is a prescence in the town already.
(07 Jul 2013, 6:00 pm)Andreos1 wrote Sunderland - Dalton Park (I'd suggest via A690, Dox Park, A19) - Murton, Easington Lane, Haswell, Wingate, Quarrington Hill, Coxhoe, Spennymoor - current X21 route to Bishop. Bit of a dogs hind leg, but not certain of best/most populous route to Bishop from Dalton Park

Would make more sense when there is a prescence in the town already.

At least that route will serve villages etc.. for connections to Sunderland and Bishop Auckland.

It was forseen that the Pronto X20 was never going to work out in the end, yes it did well between Durham and Bishop but the Sunderland to Durham section was not worth it, maybe the new X8 Sunderland to Bishop Auckland would benefit more passengers if it went through the key villages and to run via Peterlee Bus Station for onward connections and vice versa from the other Expresses, and lure Arriva Passengers onto GNE bus services.

In my opinion the X7 operate from Sunderland to Darlington via current route to Peterlee, then via the current 21 route through to Darlo. And a new X8 via the current X7 route to Peterlee, then via Horden, Blachall and Hartlepool to Middlesbrough? New and old connections that way!
Do the villages of Co Durham need that many services runnin through them?

Not knocking the suggestion, just cant see the demand from Fishburn to Peterlee justifying two buses.
Instead of direct competition that will end in tears, is it worth offering a slight alternative?