Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (33) Previous 130 31 32 33 Next
31 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm #601
(31 Aug 2014, 10:16 am)tyresmoke Suppose there'd no no point as they'll all be losing them soon regardless

Why?
Roland Pratt
31 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm #601

(31 Aug 2014, 10:16 am)tyresmoke Suppose there'd no no point as they'll all be losing them soon regardless

Why?

tyresmoke

31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm #602
(31 Aug 2014, 5:51 pm)Philly rf Someone on here mentioned that they'll be be out tomorrow

No, 64 plates cannot be used until 1st September. None will be out tomorrow as even the E400's haven't been delivered to their ultimate destination yet.

(31 Aug 2014, 5:56 pm)JoshP I thought Durham's Streetlite's for the 23 were to be in standard livery?

So did I until they got delivered. I asked this question and was told all of the "standard" Streetlites (23/35/306) are to be delivered in this livery now... Should stand out at least!

(31 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm)Roland Pratt Why?

The Max scheme is due to be extended onto the X1/X2 scheme in the future.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm #602

(31 Aug 2014, 5:51 pm)Philly rf Someone on here mentioned that they'll be be out tomorrow

No, 64 plates cannot be used until 1st September. None will be out tomorrow as even the E400's haven't been delivered to their ultimate destination yet.

(31 Aug 2014, 5:56 pm)JoshP I thought Durham's Streetlite's for the 23 were to be in standard livery?

So did I until they got delivered. I asked this question and was told all of the "standard" Streetlites (23/35/306) are to be delivered in this livery now... Should stand out at least!

(31 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm)Roland Pratt Why?

The Max scheme is due to be extended onto the X1/X2 scheme in the future.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm #603
(31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm)tyresmoke So did I until they got delivered. I asked this question and was told all of the "standard" Streetlites (23/35/306) are to be delivered in this livery now... Should stand out at least!

It was confirmed on e-mails outside from NEB that it was just the ones for the 306 to be going into this livery, to integrate services 306/308 as previously established, but it would seem they latched onto the more eco-friendly nature of the vehicles and went with Robert's idea instead, if that's the case!

(31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm)tyresmoke The Max scheme is due to be extended onto the X1/X2 scheme in the future.

Will this see a more consistent allocation of vehicle type, instead of the current split? Obviously Stockton cannot facilitate double decked vehicles, but I'd argue that it wouldn't be particularly appropriate to launch "MAX" on services X1/X2 with a split allocation of single and double decked vehicles.
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm #603

(31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm)tyresmoke So did I until they got delivered. I asked this question and was told all of the "standard" Streetlites (23/35/306) are to be delivered in this livery now... Should stand out at least!

It was confirmed on e-mails outside from NEB that it was just the ones for the 306 to be going into this livery, to integrate services 306/308 as previously established, but it would seem they latched onto the more eco-friendly nature of the vehicles and went with Robert's idea instead, if that's the case!

(31 Aug 2014, 6:48 pm)tyresmoke The Max scheme is due to be extended onto the X1/X2 scheme in the future.

Will this see a more consistent allocation of vehicle type, instead of the current split? Obviously Stockton cannot facilitate double decked vehicles, but I'd argue that it wouldn't be particularly appropriate to launch "MAX" on services X1/X2 with a split allocation of single and double decked vehicles.

mb134

31 Aug 2014, 7:03 pm #604
(31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm)Dan Will this see a more consistent allocation of vehicle type, instead of the current split? Obviously Stockton cannot facilitate double decked vehicles, but I'd argue that it wouldn't be particularly appropriate to launch "MAX" on services X1/X2 with a split allocation of single and double decked vehicles.
The X15 will have both Omnicities and E400's so I can't see a problem? Or why Arriva would think differently for a route that is operated with those vehicles currently?
Edited 31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm by mb134.
mb134
31 Aug 2014, 7:03 pm #604

(31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm)Dan Will this see a more consistent allocation of vehicle type, instead of the current split? Obviously Stockton cannot facilitate double decked vehicles, but I'd argue that it wouldn't be particularly appropriate to launch "MAX" on services X1/X2 with a split allocation of single and double decked vehicles.
The X15 will have both Omnicities and E400's so I can't see a problem? Or why Arriva would think differently for a route that is operated with those vehicles currently?

JoshP

31 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm #605
With the deliveries of the Streetlite's ahead of schedule, will Darlington's X1 MAX Streetlite's be delivered sooner than thought too?
JoshP
31 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm #605

With the deliveries of the Streetlite's ahead of schedule, will Darlington's X1 MAX Streetlite's be delivered sooner than thought too?

Kuyoyo

31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm #606

Will remain a split vehicle allocation like the X15 - I understand the present plan is to refurbish Stockton's 1441-3 for their share of the work although that could all change between now and the actual refurbishment.

(31 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm)JoshP With the deliveries of the Streetlite's ahead of schedule, will Darlington's X1 MAX Streetlite's be delivered sooner than thought too?

As far as I'm aware, 1590-4 aren't due until January so unlikely to be months early.
Edited 31 Aug 2014, 7:11 pm by Kuyoyo.
Kuyoyo
31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm #606

Will remain a split vehicle allocation like the X15 - I understand the present plan is to refurbish Stockton's 1441-3 for their share of the work although that could all change between now and the actual refurbishment.

(31 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm)JoshP With the deliveries of the Streetlite's ahead of schedule, will Darlington's X1 MAX Streetlite's be delivered sooner than thought too?

As far as I'm aware, 1590-4 aren't due until January so unlikely to be months early.

Adrian

31 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm #607

I'd agree. I personally don't think the Pulsars are suitable for the X1 in terms of numbers between Durham and Sedgefield. We'll see that once again next week, when the new term starts.

If Stockton can't facilitate double decked vehicles, can Darlington? I can't see why a service should be prevented investment because someone hadn't the foresight to think that a bus garage would need to house and maintain a double decker bus.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm #607

I'd agree. I personally don't think the Pulsars are suitable for the X1 in terms of numbers between Durham and Sedgefield. We'll see that once again next week, when the new term starts.

If Stockton can't facilitate double decked vehicles, can Darlington? I can't see why a service should be prevented investment because someone hadn't the foresight to think that a bus garage would need to house and maintain a double decker bus.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm #608
(31 Aug 2014, 7:03 pm)mb134 The X15 will have both Omnicities and E400's so I can't see a problem? Or why Arriva would think differently for a route that is operated with those vehicles currently?

(31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm)Kuyoyo Will remain a split vehicle allocation like the X15 - I understand the present plan is to refurbish Stockton's 1441-3 for their share of the work although that could all change between now and the actual refurbishment.

Yes, I know the X15 was down to be a split allocation too, but had assumed it was mainly linked to the fact that it wasn't originally planned to give the services cascaded vehicles and the resources they had available were therefore limited.

From a capacity perspective, double decked vehicles for service X15 are more appropriate. On all of the occasions I've used service X15, I've had a full coach (or a double decker with a reasonable load). The OmniCitys do seem a lot more powerful and are able to cope with the more demanding nature of the route better, however.

I know Go North East have recently tried to avoid split allocations wherever possible, because customers become familiar with a specific vehicle type (single or double decker).

The times I've photographed service X1 outside of peaks arriving/departing at Durham, Stockton and Middlesbrough, single deckers would cope fine. During peaks, that's where the issues start, at least in my experience. Obviously service X2 carries fresh air most of the time, so there's no issues there(!) Arriva obviously have a better idea of the loadings and passenger trends than I do, but from a customer perspective (not an enthusiast perspective), I'd prefer to see a consistent allocation.
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm #608

(31 Aug 2014, 7:03 pm)mb134 The X15 will have both Omnicities and E400's so I can't see a problem? Or why Arriva would think differently for a route that is operated with those vehicles currently?

(31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm)Kuyoyo Will remain a split vehicle allocation like the X15 - I understand the present plan is to refurbish Stockton's 1441-3 for their share of the work although that could all change between now and the actual refurbishment.

Yes, I know the X15 was down to be a split allocation too, but had assumed it was mainly linked to the fact that it wasn't originally planned to give the services cascaded vehicles and the resources they had available were therefore limited.

From a capacity perspective, double decked vehicles for service X15 are more appropriate. On all of the occasions I've used service X15, I've had a full coach (or a double decker with a reasonable load). The OmniCitys do seem a lot more powerful and are able to cope with the more demanding nature of the route better, however.

I know Go North East have recently tried to avoid split allocations wherever possible, because customers become familiar with a specific vehicle type (single or double decker).

The times I've photographed service X1 outside of peaks arriving/departing at Durham, Stockton and Middlesbrough, single deckers would cope fine. During peaks, that's where the issues start, at least in my experience. Obviously service X2 carries fresh air most of the time, so there's no issues there(!) Arriva obviously have a better idea of the loadings and passenger trends than I do, but from a customer perspective (not an enthusiast perspective), I'd prefer to see a consistent allocation.

tyresmoke

31 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #609
(31 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm)aureolin I'd agree. I personally don't think the Pulsars are suitable for the X1 in terms of numbers between Durham and Sedgefield. We'll see that once again next week, when the new term starts.

Darlington can yes, as they have had them in the past (7514-21 for the 1/1B) - the loadings is part of the issue why we've added an additional journey into Durham on a morning, and return on an evening for the college students. I know the current 0810 arrival in Durham can just be handled by a Pulsar and of course the extra journey will now run 15 mins behind this trip which should split the loadings a fair bit, which can only help. If there are any specific issues happening every day then PM me and let me know...

tyresmoke
31 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm #609

(31 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm)aureolin I'd agree. I personally don't think the Pulsars are suitable for the X1 in terms of numbers between Durham and Sedgefield. We'll see that once again next week, when the new term starts.

Darlington can yes, as they have had them in the past (7514-21 for the 1/1B) - the loadings is part of the issue why we've added an additional journey into Durham on a morning, and return on an evening for the college students. I know the current 0810 arrival in Durham can just be handled by a Pulsar and of course the extra journey will now run 15 mins behind this trip which should split the loadings a fair bit, which can only help. If there are any specific issues happening every day then PM me and let me know...

L469 YVK

31 Aug 2014, 7:43 pm #610
(31 Aug 2014, 10:39 am)tyresmoke Probably worth mentioning that Geminis 7616 and 7625 have returned to Blyth depot following refurbishment to Max specification. The additional vehicles they have will remain until Tuesday after the launch event in Newcastle, at which point a few will likely be withdrawn, or transferred elsewhere. 7511 should depart for Blackburn to be refurbished to Max for service X15, where it will join 7512/3 and 4653/9 undergoing the same process.

I've just had details that it will be launching from stand L at Haymarket Bus Station :p
L469 YVK
31 Aug 2014, 7:43 pm #610

(31 Aug 2014, 10:39 am)tyresmoke Probably worth mentioning that Geminis 7616 and 7625 have returned to Blyth depot following refurbishment to Max specification. The additional vehicles they have will remain until Tuesday after the launch event in Newcastle, at which point a few will likely be withdrawn, or transferred elsewhere. 7511 should depart for Blackburn to be refurbished to Max for service X15, where it will join 7512/3 and 4653/9 undergoing the same process.

I've just had details that it will be launching from stand L at Haymarket Bus Station :p

Andreos1

31 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm #611
(31 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)tyresmoke Darlington can yes, as they have had them in the past (7514-21 for the 1/1B) - the loadings is part of the issue why we've added an additional journey into Durham on a morning, and return on an evening for the college students. I know the current 0810 arrival in Durham can just be handled by a Pulsar and of course the extra journey will now run 15 mins behind this trip which should split the loadings a fair bit, which can only help. If there are any specific issues happening every day then PM me and let me know...

Why can't Durham run it by themselves? Or am I missing something obvious?
If it is down to the timetable, surely something can be done.

I often see the 8.10 arrival into Durham and it is generally full in term times.
Noticed a difference once the holidays kicked in.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm #611

(31 Aug 2014, 7:41 pm)tyresmoke Darlington can yes, as they have had them in the past (7514-21 for the 1/1B) - the loadings is part of the issue why we've added an additional journey into Durham on a morning, and return on an evening for the college students. I know the current 0810 arrival in Durham can just be handled by a Pulsar and of course the extra journey will now run 15 mins behind this trip which should split the loadings a fair bit, which can only help. If there are any specific issues happening every day then PM me and let me know...

Why can't Durham run it by themselves? Or am I missing something obvious?

I often see the 8.10 arrival into Durham and it is generally full in term times.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

L469 YVK

31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm #612
(31 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm)Dan Yes, I know the X15 was down to be a split allocation too, but had assumed it was mainly linked to the fact that it wasn't originally planned to give the services cascaded vehicles and the resources they had available were therefore limited.

I think it's a good move reliability wise though for the X15.
Edited 31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm #612

(31 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm)Dan Yes, I know the X15 was down to be a split allocation too, but had assumed it was mainly linked to the fact that it wasn't originally planned to give the services cascaded vehicles and the resources they had available were therefore limited.

I think it's a good move reliability wise though for the X15.

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm #613
(31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm)DaveyBowyer I think it's a good move reliability wise though for the X15.

It's not the X15 which has the problem though - it's the X18.
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm #613

(31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm)DaveyBowyer I think it's a good move reliability wise though for the X15.

It's not the X15 which has the problem though - it's the X18.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm #614
(31 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Why can't Durham run it by themselves? Or am I missing something obvious?

I hadn't thought about that, but I agree that it'd be better to shift all of the operations to one depot if it meant the services could have a consistent allocation. I'd imagine this would also present Arriva with the opportunity (depending on driving hours) to retain the half-hourly frequency on the X1, but downgrade the X2 to an hourly frequency? As a feeder service, it's always baffled me why they run the latter at a 30 minute frequency.

The only problem I see it causing would be the PVR loss at Stockton. Less drivers would be on the road, which I'd imagine would mean that some drivers lose out on hours at the end of the day?
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm #614

(31 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Why can't Durham run it by themselves? Or am I missing something obvious?

I hadn't thought about that, but I agree that it'd be better to shift all of the operations to one depot if it meant the services could have a consistent allocation. I'd imagine this would also present Arriva with the opportunity (depending on driving hours) to retain the half-hourly frequency on the X1, but downgrade the X2 to an hourly frequency? As a feeder service, it's always baffled me why they run the latter at a 30 minute frequency.

The only problem I see it causing would be the PVR loss at Stockton. Less drivers would be on the road, which I'd imagine would mean that some drivers lose out on hours at the end of the day?

Kuyoyo

31 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm #615

Without adding to the running cost - no. At least 2 of the Stockton workings start and finish down in the Teesside area. Then there's the cost of re-working the Sunday journeys which are geared to operation out of Stockton (and interwork with all of Stockton's Middlesbrough Sunday runs apart from the 5s of course).
Kuyoyo
31 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm #615

Without adding to the running cost - no. At least 2 of the Stockton workings start and finish down in the Teesside area. Then there's the cost of re-working the Sunday journeys which are geared to operation out of Stockton (and interwork with all of Stockton's Middlesbrough Sunday runs apart from the 5s of course).

L469 YVK

31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm #616
(31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm)Tom It's not the X15 which has the problem though - it's the X18.

I mean in terms of equipment.
L469 YVK
31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm #616

(31 Aug 2014, 7:52 pm)Tom It's not the X15 which has the problem though - it's the X18.

I mean in terms of equipment.

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm #617
(31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I mean in terms of equipment.

Oh right - I've never had any issues with the X15.
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm #617

(31 Aug 2014, 7:54 pm)DaveyBowyer I mean in terms of equipment.

Oh right - I've never had any issues with the X15.

mb134

31 Aug 2014, 7:56 pm #618

Yeah I guess, as a customer, I would prefer consistent allocation however, in the case of the X15, recently they've never really had a consistent allocation, with coaches, E400's and B7's being allocated during the last few month.
Also if Arriva always allocate single deckers to those boards that carry less passengers, the customers that use the same bus every day will get used to this vehicle and to them at least it will be consistant (but bearing in mind this is Arriva in Northumberland with the X15, this has 1% chance of actually happening)
Edited 31 Aug 2014, 7:56 pm by mb134.
mb134
31 Aug 2014, 7:56 pm #618

Yeah I guess, as a customer, I would prefer consistent allocation however, in the case of the X15, recently they've never really had a consistent allocation, with coaches, E400's and B7's being allocated during the last few month.
Also if Arriva always allocate single deckers to those boards that carry less passengers, the customers that use the same bus every day will get used to this vehicle and to them at least it will be consistant (but bearing in mind this is Arriva in Northumberland with the X15, this has 1% chance of actually happening)

Adrian

31 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm #619

I will - cheers! Smile I think the 1715 out of Durham will help with matters too.

Adrian
31 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm #619

I will - cheers! Smile I think the 1715 out of Durham will help with matters too.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 7:58 pm #620
(31 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm)Kuyoyo Without adding to the running cost - no. At least 2 of the Stockton workings start and finish down in the Teesside area. Then there's the cost of re-working the Sunday journeys which are geared to operation out of Stockton (and interwork with all of Stockton's Middlesbrough Sunday runs apart from the 5s of course).

Without wishing to turn this into the "Service Suggestions" thread...

If this were to happen, and the X2 was dropped to an hourly frequency, why couldn't the costs saved here be pumped into the evening runs to provide later journeys from Middlesbrough to Durham, to get the buses back home?

I can only imagine the frequency of the X2 at present links to the heavy competition on the Durham Road corridor provided by Go North East, but I'd suggest that anyone travelling who doesn't have onward Arriva connections in Durham (either to the X1 or to other Arriva services) will want to get on the 21 or X21 instead - especially as the latter is getting an increased frequency at peaks...
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 7:58 pm #620

(31 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm)Kuyoyo Without adding to the running cost - no. At least 2 of the Stockton workings start and finish down in the Teesside area. Then there's the cost of re-working the Sunday journeys which are geared to operation out of Stockton (and interwork with all of Stockton's Middlesbrough Sunday runs apart from the 5s of course).

Without wishing to turn this into the "Service Suggestions" thread...

If this were to happen, and the X2 was dropped to an hourly frequency, why couldn't the costs saved here be pumped into the evening runs to provide later journeys from Middlesbrough to Durham, to get the buses back home?

I can only imagine the frequency of the X2 at present links to the heavy competition on the Durham Road corridor provided by Go North East, but I'd suggest that anyone travelling who doesn't have onward Arriva connections in Durham (either to the X1 or to other Arriva services) will want to get on the 21 or X21 instead - especially as the latter is getting an increased frequency at peaks...

Pages (33) Previous 130 31 32 33 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average