You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Benefits
Following on from a Post I made in the "What's annoying you Today" Thread Yesterday, which touched on Autism, I mentioned that I don't claim Benefits due to having Aspergers and an Eye Condition, and that I never been interested in looking at that sort of thing.

Having thought about it, I decided to take a look on Direct.gov, and I came across something called Personal Independence Payment (PIP), In which I would be entitled to between £21.55 and £138.05 a Week depending on how the Conditions affect me, I thought I would bring this up in case there other Members on NEB who have Autism and are unaware of (PIP), Having thought about and spoke to my Mother, I have decided I am going make a claim, Perhaps I should of done this a Number of Years ago but I didn't, I have had Aspergers since I was around 6 Years Old, and the Eye Condition for almost 4 Years, although I have problem with my Eyes beforehand, I am 22 in December and I think maybe this could be helpful in some way.

Another Benefit i think I may claim for is the Free Bus Pass, I am curious as to what the Boundaries are like for it in Tyne and Wear, or is it one those Passes you can use elsewhere in the UK, But to be honest I am not really bothered by paying Bus Fare, it will only benefit me in saving me Money by not having to pay Bus Fare at all.
Site Administrator
RE: Benefits
An older friend of mine is a cancer patient, who is finally on the road to recovery (for now).

Despite not being able to go out due to her condition, which led to other problems, she was knocked back on multiple occasions for DLA (or it may have been ESA - something along those lines), and consequently knocked back for a Concessionary Bus Pass too. You hear similar stories in the news all the time, of folk having their benefits revoked and these individuals being made to find work.

Obviously PIP will be different to the benefit above, but I'm guessing that you'll still have difficulty with the claim.
(10 Sep 2014, 8:58 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Following on from a Post I made in the "What's annoying you Today" Thread Yesterday, which touched on Autism, I mentioned that I don't claim Benefits due to having Aspergers and an Eye Condition, and that I never been interested in looking at that sort of thing.

Having thought about it, I decided to take a look on Direct.gov, and I came across something called Personal Independence Payment (PIP), In which I would be entitled to between £21.55 and £138.05 a Week depending on how the Conditions affect me, I thought I would bring this up in case there other Members on NEB who have Autism and are unaware of (PIP), Having thought about and spoke to my Mother, I have decided I am going make a claim, Perhaps I should of done this a Number of Years ago but I didn't, I have had Aspergers since I was around 6 Years Old, and the Eye Condition for almost 4 Years, although I have problem with my Eyes beforehand, I am 22 in December and I think maybe this could be helpful in some way.

Another Benefit i think I may claim for is the Free Bus Pass, I am curious as to what the Boundaries are like for it in Tyne and Wear, or is it one those Passes you can use elsewhere in the UK, But to be honest I am not really bothered by paying Bus Fare, it will only benefit me in saving me Money by not having to pay Bus Fare at all.

No offence Adam, but I think it is wrong to have a free bus pass unless you have mobility issues.
Re: RE: Benefits
(10 Sep 2014, 9:05 pm)Dan wrote An older friend of mine is a cancer patient, who is finally on the road to recovery (for now).

Despite not being able to go out due to her condition, which led to other problems, she was knocked back on multiple occasions for DLA (or it may have been ESA - something along those lines), and consequently knocked back for a Concessionary Bus Pass too. You hear similar stories in the news all the time, of folk having their benefits revoked and these individuals being made to find work.

Obviously PIP will be different to the benefit above, but I'm guessing that you'll still have difficulty with the claim.
Aye, you're still going through the DWP. This vicious government seem more than happy to persecute everyone on benefits. Makes me wonder what kind of world we live in.

Don't let it deter you from applying though Adam.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 9:08 pm)Tom wrote No offence Adam, but I think it is wrong to have a free bus pass unless you have mobility issues.
You are entitled to a disabled persons concessionary bus pass if you are:
• Physically disabled and suffering from any disability, which permanently and seriously impairs your ability to walk;
• Permanently blind and unable to perform any duties for which normal sight is required;
• Assessed as having a learning disability;
• Registered as profoundly deaf, with or without speech;
• Registered as partially sighted;
• Without the use of arms, whether through the absence of limbs or otherwise; OR
• Unable to drive having had a driving licence refused or revoked on medical grounds

I'm guessing autism would fall under 'learning difficulties', which would mean that Adam SHOULD qualify (but whether he does or not is another matter!)

Other enthusiasts who are able to run around and take photos until their heart is content have these bus passes; whether I agree with it or not, they must be eligible to have received it.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:13 pm)Dan wrote You are entitled to a disabled persons concessionary bus pass if you are:
• Physically disabled and suffering from any disability, which permanently and seriously impairs your ability to walk;
• Permanently blind and unable to perform any duties for which normal sight is required;
• Without the use of arms, whether through the absence of limbs or otherwise; OR
• Unable to drive having had a driving licence refused or revoked on medical grounds

I'm guessing autism would fall under 'learning difficulties', which would mean that Adam SHOULD qualify (but whether he does or not is another matter!)

Other enthusiasts who are able to run around and take photos until their heart is content have these bus passes; whether I agree with it or not, they must be eligible to have received it.

I don't think having a learning difficulty should qualify AT ALL.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:08 pm)Tom wrote No offence Adam, but I think it is wrong to have a free bus pass unless you have mobility issues.
Why? If you're entitled to it you're well within your rights to claim it. How many OAPs do you see offering up cash to pay for a buzzfare?
(10 Sep 2014, 9:17 pm)aureolin wrote Why? If you're entitled to it you're well within your rights to claim it. How many OAPs do you see offering up cash to pay for a buzzfare?

I just don't think people should get free passes unless they are blind, deaf etc. Again, I don't think just because you are over 60 you should get a bus pass. It's not really fair if they have nothing physically wrong with them, and they get free travel, wherever we, sometimes extrodinate , pay fares.
Site Administrator
(10 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm)Tom wrote I don't think having a learning difficulty should qualify AT ALL.
I disagree with the Concessionary Travel Card system as a whole. I read some interesting comments on Facebook a few weeks ago which I largely agreed with.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm)Dan wrote I disagree with the Concessionary Travel Card system as a whole. I read some interesting comments on Facebook a few weeks ago which I largely agreed with.

Neither do I!
Re: Benefits
Many a system isn't right, or is a bit messed up the way it works. I'd say that most though, we'd be far worse as a country, without.

Free passes for those with learning difficulties can more than open a new world, depending on where they sit on the autism spectrum. We're talking about some kids, where tasks we'd find basic, such as shopping, are completely alien to them. It gives them the freedom to develop a degree of independence, and that is so important.

But if you have Autism like I do, then you Automatically classed as Disabled, which I don't really understand, as my Condition only affects me when Socializing and doing things that involve Team Work etc, But yet Doctors still class me as Disabled.

Some people just go out and get all these Benefits for sake of being Eligible for it, More or less for the Money, and simply sit on there Arses and do Nothing about finding a Job etc which I think is wrong, Whereas I am looking for a Job, but if (PIP) will benefit me and my Family then I will Consider it, Same with the Bus Pass but I am in 2 Minds on that one, As I said Yesterday I don't see Myself as Disabled, I see Myself like any other Person without Health Issues.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm)Tom wrote I just don't think people should get free passes unless they are blind, deaf etc. Again, I don't think just because you are over 60 you should get a bus pass. It's not really fair if they have nothing physically wrong with them, and they get free travel, wherever we, sometimes extrodinate , pay fares.

I think people with autism and learning difficulties should have bus passes as many can't drive and can't work so they need to find something to do with their time and if they couldn't travel on buses and don't have enough money so they could be left unable to travel and that could lead to depression.

Don't agree that when people hit the age of 60 they should get a free bus pass especially if they are still physically fit and still working and earning a wage.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:13 pm)Dan wrote You are entitled to a disabled persons concessionary bus pass if you are:

Yeah that is Correct Dan Aspergers does fall under Learning Difficulties, Through School I didn't really get much assistance as I didn't want it or felt I needed it, in my opinion there were other Students in the School who would of been better off with the Support that I was offered, hence why I refused it on Numerous Occasions.

In College I was left to my own Devices, although there was a Learning Mentor assigned to my Class for other Students, which also turned out to be for me also, but I wasn't hassled as I could manage with the Classwork, that was until I found out I had problems with my Eye and suffered from Severe Headaches, in which I did require some help for a few weeks while I found out why I was having the Headaches.

So therefore due to issues with my Vision also, and the fact I have had 2 Surgeries in the last 18 Months, I think I would get away with being Partially Sighted, as the Vision in my Right Eye is Blurred, and I struggle to Read things from a Distance.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote But if you have Autism like I do, then you Automatically classed as Disabled, which I don't really understand, as my Condition only affects me when Socializing and doing things that involve Team Work etc, But yet Doctors still class me as Disabled.

Some people just go out and get all these Benefits for sake of being Eligible for it, More or less for the Money, and simply sit on there Arses and do Nothing about finding a Job etc which I think is wrong, Whereas I am looking for a Job, but if (PIP) will benefit me and my Family then I will Consider it, Same with the Bus Pass but I am in 2 Minds on that one, As I said Yesterday I don't see Myself as Disabled, I see Myself like any other Person without Health Issues.

I don't have autism, so no I won't qualify for a Concessionary pass.
(10 Sep 2014, 9:17 pm)aureolin wrote Why? If you're entitled to it you're well within your rights to claim it. How many OAPs do you see offering up cash to pay for a buzzfare?

Because thats a concessionary pass. Every OAP gets one regardless of their condition.
(11 Sep 2014, 6:41 am)Robert wrote Because thats a concessionary pass. Every OAP gets one regardless of their condition.
So is what a disabled person would get. They're just as entitled to it as an OAP, should they meet the criteria.