Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 134 35 36146 Next
Andy

27 Sep 2014, 9:20 am #681
Was on the metro a few days ago and some drunk was sitting in the middle of the train wearing a tiara a drinking a bottle of vodka and then lit a cigarette a started smoking only for an elderly gentleman to jump up and grab it out of his hand then another young lad came and pushed him off the train at Shiremoor after he'd threatened the elderly man
Andy
27 Sep 2014, 9:20 am #681

Was on the metro a few days ago and some drunk was sitting in the middle of the train wearing a tiara a drinking a bottle of vodka and then lit a cigarette a started smoking only for an elderly gentleman to jump up and grab it out of his hand then another young lad came and pushed him off the train at Shiremoor after he'd threatened the elderly man

Dan

Site Administrator

27 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm #682
Any idea what the 'police incident' was between Heworth and Pelaw earlier, causing systemwide delays?

An old woman, who was rather inebriated, informed me that there was no trains for three hours...but I don't know how true that was, given that she didn't have a clue where she was.
Dan
27 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm #682

Any idea what the 'police incident' was between Heworth and Pelaw earlier, causing systemwide delays?

An old woman, who was rather inebriated, informed me that there was no trains for three hours...but I don't know how true that was, given that she didn't have a clue where she was.

Adrian

27 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm #683
(27 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm)Dan Any idea what the 'police incident' was between Heworth and Pelaw earlier, causing systemwide delays?

It's true. Around about 5.30ish I think.

I had got the 21 from High Level Bridge to Gateshead, as nothing was coming out, and had planned to get the Metro from there. Metro comes in, people get on, and we don't go anywhere.

Driver tannoys a couple of times to say he's on a red signal, but we'll be moving shortly. Then he tannoys to say it's terminating at Gateshead Stadium and turning back, due to an ongoing police incident between Pelaw and Heworth.

Metro staff were as helpful as can be. Only seen one, and that was on my way out. Was standing next to the bike racks pissing about with his phone.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm #683

(27 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm)Dan Any idea what the 'police incident' was between Heworth and Pelaw earlier, causing systemwide delays?

It's true. Around about 5.30ish I think.

I had got the 21 from High Level Bridge to Gateshead, as nothing was coming out, and had planned to get the Metro from there. Metro comes in, people get on, and we don't go anywhere.

Driver tannoys a couple of times to say he's on a red signal, but we'll be moving shortly. Then he tannoys to say it's terminating at Gateshead Stadium and turning back, due to an ongoing police incident between Pelaw and Heworth.

Metro staff were as helpful as can be. Only seen one, and that was on my way out. Was standing next to the bike racks pissing about with his phone.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Bus_User

27 Sep 2014, 11:25 pm #684
Heard apparently a drunken man fell down an embankment infront of an approching Metro near Heworth and that there was quite a few emergency service vehicles at Heworth. 
Bus_User
27 Sep 2014, 11:25 pm #684

Heard apparently a drunken man fell down an embankment infront of an approching Metro near Heworth and that there was quite a few emergency service vehicles at Heworth. 

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm #686
Poor performance on the Metro network this evening...

I missed the 9 in North Shields and it was about 20 minutes for the next one so the quicker journey would be to use the Metro to Newcastle, then to Stadium of Light... What a mistake that was!

The Metro appeared to be running 10 minutes late (the one I was going to be getting, due in 2 mins, was in fact due in 6), and this Metro was creeping along the track all the way to Byker due to 'low rail adhesion'. We got chucked off at Byker, and were told to get on the next one as that one was being withdrawn at Manors.

I expected it to be very much like my experience a few weeks back where I had to wait for about 15 mins at Pelaw...but no... next Metro was due in 2 minutes! The one after that was due a minute later - the one we all got on didn't seem to be suffering from leaves on the line though..!

Remind me to just wait an extra 20 mins in the freezing cold for the 9 in future....
Dan
14 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm #686

Poor performance on the Metro network this evening...

I missed the 9 in North Shields and it was about 20 minutes for the next one so the quicker journey would be to use the Metro to Newcastle, then to Stadium of Light... What a mistake that was!

The Metro appeared to be running 10 minutes late (the one I was going to be getting, due in 2 mins, was in fact due in 6), and this Metro was creeping along the track all the way to Byker due to 'low rail adhesion'. We got chucked off at Byker, and were told to get on the next one as that one was being withdrawn at Manors.

I expected it to be very much like my experience a few weeks back where I had to wait for about 15 mins at Pelaw...but no... next Metro was due in 2 minutes! The one after that was due a minute later - the one we all got on didn't seem to be suffering from leaves on the line though..!

Remind me to just wait an extra 20 mins in the freezing cold for the 9 in future....

Bus_User

14 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm #687
(14 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm)Dan Poor performance on the Metro network this evening...

I was on the exact train as yourself(i got on at wallsend) and it did involved a brand new refurbished set(4043) so i wonder if that had anything to do it? The weather was a bit drizzly which no doubt did not help matters mind. 

Why would you describe it as 'poor' though? What would you of done differently? The train was terminating at Manors and then heading back to South Shields so the train was regulated so there was less delays heading back towards the coast. 

As far as I can see, it was the correct decision to keep any delays down and imo was not 'poor' at all. 
Bus_User
14 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm #687

(14 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm)Dan Poor performance on the Metro network this evening...

I was on the exact train as yourself(i got on at wallsend) and it did involved a brand new refurbished set(4043) so i wonder if that had anything to do it? The weather was a bit drizzly which no doubt did not help matters mind. 

Why would you describe it as 'poor' though? What would you of done differently? The train was terminating at Manors and then heading back to South Shields so the train was regulated so there was less delays heading back towards the coast. 

As far as I can see, it was the correct decision to keep any delays down and imo was not 'poor' at all. 

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm #688
(14 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm)Bus_User I was on the exact train as yourself(i got on at wallsend) and it did involved a brand new refurbished set(4043) so i wonder if that had anything to do it? The weather was a bit drizzly which no doubt did not help matters mind. 

The fact that on a 12-15 minute frequency, three were bunched up together and platforms on the opposite side of the line had quite a substantial amount of passengers due to the no-show of two or three trains?
If that's not poor, I don't know what is...

Without looking I do not know the comparable journey times, but I note the same set which had departed North Shields on Platform 1 towards Newcastle/South Shields actually got there at the same time as I did, using the train from Platform 2 (which is supposedly a shorter journey time).
The rain would surely affect all trains and not just one - and given there was no issues with 'low rail adhesion' on the train we got passed on to at Manors, or on the train I got towards South Hylton...

I wasn't referring to the decision to withdraw the train as 'poor'; after all, it's the only way a train can make up time (which will forever be a reason why I prefer travelling on the road opposed to by track). The situation in general is a rather poor performance though - but then again, it's also the typical fun and games to be had on the Tyne & Wear Metro network.
Dan
14 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm #688

(14 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm)Bus_User I was on the exact train as yourself(i got on at wallsend) and it did involved a brand new refurbished set(4043) so i wonder if that had anything to do it? The weather was a bit drizzly which no doubt did not help matters mind. 

The fact that on a 12-15 minute frequency, three were bunched up together and platforms on the opposite side of the line had quite a substantial amount of passengers due to the no-show of two or three trains?

Without looking I do not know the comparable journey times, but I note the same set which had departed North Shields on Platform 1 towards Newcastle/South Shields actually got there at the same time as I did, using the train from Platform 2 (which is supposedly a shorter journey time).
The rain would surely affect all trains and not just one - and given there was no issues with 'low rail adhesion' on the train we got passed on to at Manors, or on the train I got towards South Hylton...

I wasn't referring to the decision to withdraw the train as 'poor'; after all, it's the only way a train can make up time (which will forever be a reason why I prefer travelling on the road opposed to by track). The situation in general is a rather poor performance though - but then again, it's also the typical fun and games to be had on the Tyne & Wear Metro network.

Bus_User

14 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm #689
(14 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm)Dan The fact that on a 12-15 minute frequency, three were bunched up together and platforms on the opposite side of the line had quite a substantial amount of passengers due to the no-show of two or three trains?

Well I can't talk whether there was trains missing on the other side too much but being a bit of a train enthusiast, I noted newly refurbished 4043 was on train 124 so i decided to try and catch it after its journey around the coast and I was on train 121 heading to the coast from St James,  which was on time, whether the trains before that were delayed/missing then unless you are 100% sure there was 2-3 trains missing then you can hardly justify your wording "poor" for that. 

So onto the set with the poor rail adhesion, my speculation(and it is that) was that with set 4043 being just recently refurbished and with nothing below the sole bar(e.g wheels) apparently being touched, I suspect they could be a bit worn and more suspectable to wheel spinning. The other train which we got on after was an extra peak train to St James(train 151 i think) and the other one would of been the usual South Shields to St James'. I'm not saying the delay is acceptable but what else could be done here. 

This is one reason why I don't add any bus/train companies on fb because of all the constant moaning about situations which is not totally controllable or just plain petty. 

I would understand your complaint and your word of "poor" more if it was a train failure or fault rather than something that is sadly hard to deal with anyways. 
Edited 14 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm by Bus_User.
Bus_User
14 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm #689

(14 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm)Dan The fact that on a 12-15 minute frequency, three were bunched up together and platforms on the opposite side of the line had quite a substantial amount of passengers due to the no-show of two or three trains?

Well I can't talk whether there was trains missing on the other side too much but being a bit of a train enthusiast, I noted newly refurbished 4043 was on train 124 so i decided to try and catch it after its journey around the coast and I was on train 121 heading to the coast from St James,  which was on time, whether the trains before that were delayed/missing then unless you are 100% sure there was 2-3 trains missing then you can hardly justify your wording "poor" for that. 

So onto the set with the poor rail adhesion, my speculation(and it is that) was that with set 4043 being just recently refurbished and with nothing below the sole bar(e.g wheels) apparently being touched, I suspect they could be a bit worn and more suspectable to wheel spinning. The other train which we got on after was an extra peak train to St James(train 151 i think) and the other one would of been the usual South Shields to St James'. I'm not saying the delay is acceptable but what else could be done here. 

This is one reason why I don't add any bus/train companies on fb because of all the constant moaning about situations which is not totally controllable or just plain petty. 

I would understand your complaint and your word of "poor" more if it was a train failure or fault rather than something that is sadly hard to deal with anyways. 

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm #690
Tyne and Wear Metro
Just now ·
There are no trains running between St James and Monument in both directions, this is due to a fire alarm activation. We will update you once we have more information.

Tickets not being accepted on buses..?
Dan
15 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm #690

Tyne and Wear Metro
Just now ·
There are no trains running between St James and Monument in both directions, this is due to a fire alarm activation. We will update you once we have more information.

Bus_User

15 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm #691
(15 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm)Dan Tyne and Wear Metro
Just now ·

Why? Its a short 5 min walk between the stations, would seem unnecessary and pointless waiting and boarding a bus for such a quick journey.  
Bus_User
15 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm #691

(15 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm)Dan Tyne and Wear Metro
Just now ·

Why? Its a short 5 min walk between the stations, would seem unnecessary and pointless waiting and boarding a bus for such a quick journey.  

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm #692
(15 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm)Bus_User Why? Its a short 5 min walk between the stations, would seem unnecessary and pointless waiting and boarding a bus for such a quick journey.  
Plenty of customers still use the Metro between these two stations - so why, if they have paid to use the Metro, should they have to walk?!
Dan
15 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm #692

(15 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm)Bus_User Why? Its a short 5 min walk between the stations, would seem unnecessary and pointless waiting and boarding a bus for such a quick journey.  
Plenty of customers still use the Metro between these two stations - so why, if they have paid to use the Metro, should they have to walk?!

Bus_User

15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm #693
(15 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm)Dan Plenty of customers still use the Metro between these two stations - so why, if they have paid to use the Metro, should they have to walk?!

Because the inconvenience is very minor to say the very least and the distance between the stations is just ridiculously short to accept Metro tickets. 

Although I could be wrong, I very much doubt the suspension would of lasted very long and by the time Nexus contacted bus operators to accept tickets, the suspension would of been lifted? 
Bus_User
15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm #693

(15 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm)Dan Plenty of customers still use the Metro between these two stations - so why, if they have paid to use the Metro, should they have to walk?!

Because the inconvenience is very minor to say the very least and the distance between the stations is just ridiculously short to accept Metro tickets. 

Although I could be wrong, I very much doubt the suspension would of lasted very long and by the time Nexus contacted bus operators to accept tickets, the suspension would of been lifted? 

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm #694
(15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)Bus_User Because the inconvenience is very minor to say the very least and the distance between the stations is just ridiculously short to accept Metro tickets. 

Let's say I'm recovering from a broken toe and have purchased an all zones day saver ticket...
I purchased a ticket which allows me to use the Metro to any station in the network - yet I'm left at Monument with no service and I'm forced to walk instead?

Bet they made a saving by not getting the bus operators to give a helping hand...
Dan
15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm #694

(15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)Bus_User Because the inconvenience is very minor to say the very least and the distance between the stations is just ridiculously short to accept Metro tickets. 

Let's say I'm recovering from a broken toe and have purchased an all zones day saver ticket...
I purchased a ticket which allows me to use the Metro to any station in the network - yet I'm left at Monument with no service and I'm forced to walk instead?

Bet they made a saving by not getting the bus operators to give a helping hand...

citaro5284

15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm #695
(15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)Bus_User Although I could be wrong, I very much doubt the suspension would of lasted very long and by the time Nexus contacted bus operators to accept tickets, the suspension would of been lifted? 

Normally its one phone call from Nexus to the Bus Operator, followed by a radio message to the buses, can be arranged within a couple of minutes to be honest.
citaro5284
15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm #695

(15 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)Bus_User Although I could be wrong, I very much doubt the suspension would of lasted very long and by the time Nexus contacted bus operators to accept tickets, the suspension would of been lifted? 

Normally its one phone call from Nexus to the Bus Operator, followed by a radio message to the buses, can be arranged within a couple of minutes to be honest.

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2014, 9:33 pm #696
(15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm)citaro5284 Normally its one phone call from Nexus to the Bus Operator, followed by a radio message to the buses, can be arranged within a couple of minutes to be honest.
A similar timeframe to them putting details of the disruption on their Social Media pages, no doubt!
Dan
15 Oct 2014, 9:33 pm #696

(15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm)citaro5284 Normally its one phone call from Nexus to the Bus Operator, followed by a radio message to the buses, can be arranged within a couple of minutes to be honest.
A similar timeframe to them putting details of the disruption on their Social Media pages, no doubt!

Bus_User

15 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm #697
(15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm)Dan Let's say I'm recovering from a broken toe and have purchased an all zones day saver ticket...

Although I could be wrong then in that situation, It will be down to Nexus to offer an alternative arrangement of travel for yourself, most likely a taxi.

I do feel your making more of this than there actually is, if the suspension was between St James' and Manors and there was no bus replacement then your complaint would be more justified. 

For 99.9% of passengers however, its a simple 5 min walk to Monument/Haymarket and just looked at the FB page the disruption was around 20 mins and with the section between Monument and St James' being quite lightly used(on most occasions) then it just would seem unnecessary in my opinion.
Edited 15 Oct 2014, 9:44 pm by Bus_User.
Bus_User
15 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm #697

(15 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm)Dan Let's say I'm recovering from a broken toe and have purchased an all zones day saver ticket...

Although I could be wrong then in that situation, It will be down to Nexus to offer an alternative arrangement of travel for yourself, most likely a taxi.

I do feel your making more of this than there actually is, if the suspension was between St James' and Manors and there was no bus replacement then your complaint would be more justified. 

For 99.9% of passengers however, its a simple 5 min walk to Monument/Haymarket and just looked at the FB page the disruption was around 20 mins and with the section between Monument and St James' being quite lightly used(on most occasions) then it just would seem unnecessary in my opinion.

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Oct 2014, 9:49 pm #698
(15 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm)Bus_User Although I could be wrong then in that situation, It will be down to Nexus to offer an alternative arrangement of travel for yourself, most likely a taxi.

For 99.9% of passengers however, its a simple 5 min walk to Monument/Haymarket and just looked at the FB page the disruption was around 20 mins.  

...which could be avoided by contacting bus companies to allow Metro tickets on their services?

My complaint is justified regardless of the stations the disruption was at. There have been instances in the past where Go North East has accepted Metro tickets for all of 15 minutes (with similiar distances between stations), so I can't see why it wasn't done here too.

Conversely, I can also recall two instances whereby passengers between Sunderland and South Hylton have been left without a Metro service for periods of up to an hour, with no buses accepting tickets.

There should be set procedures in place. The lack of consistency will undoubtedly be causing customer confusion and should be nipped in the bud. Arranging alternatives is simple, and making customers travel by foot should never be the only option available.
Dan
15 Oct 2014, 9:49 pm #698

(15 Oct 2014, 9:42 pm)Bus_User Although I could be wrong then in that situation, It will be down to Nexus to offer an alternative arrangement of travel for yourself, most likely a taxi.

For 99.9% of passengers however, its a simple 5 min walk to Monument/Haymarket and just looked at the FB page the disruption was around 20 mins.  

...which could be avoided by contacting bus companies to allow Metro tickets on their services?

My complaint is justified regardless of the stations the disruption was at. There have been instances in the past where Go North East has accepted Metro tickets for all of 15 minutes (with similiar distances between stations), so I can't see why it wasn't done here too.

Conversely, I can also recall two instances whereby passengers between Sunderland and South Hylton have been left without a Metro service for periods of up to an hour, with no buses accepting tickets.

There should be set procedures in place. The lack of consistency will undoubtedly be causing customer confusion and should be nipped in the bud. Arranging alternatives is simple, and making customers travel by foot should never be the only option available.

Dan

Site Administrator

18 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm #699
What's the story in Balamory today then?
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2014-10-18-14-54-35.png
Size 346.35 KB / Downloads 16
Dan
18 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm #699

What's the story in Balamory today then?

Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2014-10-18-14-54-35.png
Size 346.35 KB / Downloads 16

Malarkey

18 Oct 2014, 2:07 pm #700
(18 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm)Dan What's the story in Balamory today then?
Im at Percy Main Metro for 15 Minutes now and theres been no trains towards Newcastle yet there been 4 towards the Coast.
Malarkey
18 Oct 2014, 2:07 pm #700

(18 Oct 2014, 1:56 pm)Dan What's the story in Balamory today then?
Im at Percy Main Metro for 15 Minutes now and theres been no trains towards Newcastle yet there been 4 towards the Coast.

Pages (146) Previous 134 35 36146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average