You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(26 Oct 2014, 6:40 pm)Jimmi wrote I've just had a look at my photo of 4814 and zoomed in and the seats look either really dark blue or black but is difficult to tell as the windows look really dark plus things are reflecting onto the windows, so 4814 may have been done but I'm not 100% on that.

I'll try and see tomorrow.

4814 has been re-trimmed in leather. 4812/3 were in such good condition (I know they've barely been used as demonstrators!) they didn't bother doing them. They've been parked up for months so I would expect there will be teething troubles with them, like there is/has been with the Streetlites.
As for next stop announcements - Darlington 1/1b will get them soon (Pulsars are being fitted with screens at present) and the Streetlites on X1 will also be so fitted (in MAX livery).

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

As for next stop announcements - Darlington 1/1b will get them soon (Pulsars are being fitted with screens at present) and the Streetlites on X1 will also be so fitted (in MAX livery).
Interesting that the X1 MAX StreetLites will have next stop announcements.

The Pulsars have had the screens about a month now, probably just need to be programmed now. The screens are just showing dark blue at the moment.
For the MAX next stop announcements, they should either use Heart or Metro Radio. I know Jenny sounds more professional but, Steve and Karen or Gary and Lisa would give a much more local feel to MAX services.
(26 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote For the MAX next stop announcements, they should either use Heart or Metro Radio. I know Jenny sounds more professional but, Steve and Karen or Gary and Lisa would give a much more local feel to MAX services.

Keep the professional for Arriva, Go North East can keep the local feel.
For the MAX next stop announcements, they should either use Heart or Metro Radio. I know Jenny sounds more professional but, Steve and Karen or Gary and Lisa would give a much more local feel to MAX services.
God not Steve and Karren anyone but them.

I prefer professional voiceover artists.

The Go North East ones annoy me because all the ones I've heard say "press the bell once and remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop" or something like that. 
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(26 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote For the MAX next stop announcements, they should either use Heart or Metro Radio. I know Jenny sounds more professional but, Steve and Karen or Gary and Lisa would give a much more local feel to MAX services.
Have to agree, here.

The monotonous voice with no regional accent makes the Next Stop Announcements a lot less personal, and I'd even suggest that it makes them more repetitive so passengers are likely to resent the announcements even more.
The announcements on Go North East's "Fab Fifty Six" and "Cobalt Clipper" buses are far superior in my opinion. Admittedly, I think that some of the cheesy lines used on the "Red Arrows" are a step too far, and I think that these ought to be reviewed at some point...

Of course if professionality is the image Arriva are wanting, then perhaps the monotonous voices are better in their eyes. Perhaps they should reflect their perception of professionality on their repaints, too. As I have already mentioned, the lack of consistency in livery designs when repainting buses is incredibly poor and doesn't show professionality in the slightest.
I prefer the local feel of announcements, but I'd rather someone piss on my Weetabix, than me having to listen to Steve, Karen, Gary or Lisa by choice. I still reckon my suggestion of Charlotte from Geordie Shore or Jimmy Nail had some weight about it... Wink
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(26 Oct 2014, 2:06 pm)Jimmi wrote I think the Pulsar was 1428. Rather odd that these two Omnicitys were out today, I was expecting it to be all Pulsars today. No idea what the other bus was as I didn't see any bus on the 1130 X66 journey out of Darlington.
Is it possible that some Pulsars may have been off to have the next stop announcements sorted?

If it's any help, 2868 worked the 1530 X66 from Darlington
If it's any help, 2868 worked the 1530 X66 from Darlington
This will be the same board as the 1130 one which disappeared. Possibly something broke down and this is what replaced it. Would hate to ride a Solo on the X66 again after the time I had a 2008 example which was shoved out to replace 4644 and it ended up with the bus overheating and had to sit in a lay-by on the A66 and the bus was going so slow we got overtaken by a tractor carrying several bales of hay. That actually happened.
(26 Oct 2014, 2:06 pm)Jimmi wrote I think the Pulsar was 1428. Rather odd that these two Omnicitys were out today, I was expecting it to be all Pulsars today. No idea what the other bus was as I didn't see any bus on the 1130 X66 journey out of Darlington.
Is it possible that some Pulsars may have been off to have the next stop announcements sorted?

The 1130 service was 4656 it left darlington about half a hour late then saw it on the A66 to Darlington at 13:30 something tells me something was up with it though as it doesn't take 2 hours to get to Middlesbrough and back 
Site Administrator
(27 Oct 2014, 8:26 am)Jimmi wrote Services 22/24 look to use the same buses despite route changes as 4643 is on the 24.
At least one Streetlite is definitely out on 23s today.
(27 Oct 2014, 8:28 am)Dan wrote At least one Streetlite is definitely out on 23s today.

Yes the 22 is diagrammed for Pulsars, while the 24 is a mix of 3 deckers and 3 Pulsars. Obviously these are interchangeable with Scanias whilst they still retain some.

The 24X's are both deckers too.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
Stockton's offering on the X21 today is 4658 - appeared the driver was being route learned as he drove.
Came in with four passengers.
(27 Oct 2014, 8:28 am)Dan wrote At least one Streetlite is definitely out on 23s today.

You will have to let us know, how the numbers are like on the new X21 Tongue 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(27 Oct 2014, 8:35 am)Michael wrote You will have to let us know, how the numbers are like on the new X21 Tongue 
Only going to see that run until this afternoon now, and I will probably go out for the Durham X21 run tonight too.

The 0830 X7 arrival into Park Lane still came in with a fullly seated load, as usual, and I'd suggest that four passengers on the first day of service at this time of day is fairly reasonable. Will let you know what it leaves with in five mins.

It appeared that the driver of the X7 (5203) was talking with the driver of the X21, presumably discussing the new route etc.
Site Administrator
In regards to above, left with two or three (those Scanias are speedy!)

Be careful when out and about in Sunderland today, folks, a wild Nexus beast has been let loose and she is already seeking her prey. Get too close and you may be beaten with her clipboard... Consider yourselves warned.
In regards to above, left with two or three (those Scanias are speedy!)

Be careful when out and about in Sunderland today, folks, a wild Nexus beast has been let loose and she is already seeking her prey. Get too close and you may be beaten with her clipboard... Consider yourselves warned.
Also look out for people getting in the way in Peterlee.
(27 Oct 2014, 8:42 am)Dan wrote Only going to see that run until this afternoon now, and I will probably go out for the Durham X21 run tonight too.

The 0830 X7 arrival into Park Lane still came in with a fullly seated load, as usual, and I'd suggest that four passengers on the first day of service at this time of day is fairly reasonable. Will let you know what it leaves with in five mins.

It appeared that the driver of the X7 (5203) was talking with the driver of the X21, presumably discussing the new route etc.

First day so was expecting a low usage of the X21.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
2806 looking fairly smart again after receiving a splash of paint on the parts which required it...
(27 Oct 2014, 9:54 am)Dan wrote 2806 looking fairly smart again after receiving a splash of paint on the parts which required it...

That one was on the 17 yesterday, but I didn't see the front of it so couldn't say whether it had been repainted. 
Site Administrator
Looks like all of the Peterlee services are suffering delays... Are the doors and wing mirrors playing up again?

#latebuses
#hashtagsonNEB

EDIT: 4806 came into Peterlee about 15 minutes late on service 21, and doesn't look like it's going to be operating the X21 to Sunderland...

An interior panel has fallen off, so the driver is currently using the sticky part of the paper wallets for weekly tickets to repair it.
All aboard the X7!
1575 on the 23 this morning
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...618194976/
4812 on the X21 this morning
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...021766433/
4813 on the X21 this morning
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...639194841/
4858 on Stockton's X21/21A working this morning
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...455977077/
(26 Oct 2014, 9:14 pm)Dan wrote Have to agree, here.

The monotonous voice with no regional accent makes the Next Stop Announcements a lot less personal, and I'd even suggest that it makes them more repetitive so passengers are likely to resent the announcements even more.
The announcements on Go North East's "Fab Fifty Six" and "Cobalt Clipper" buses are far superior in my opinion. Admittedly, I think that some of the cheesy lines used on the "Red Arrows" are a step too far, and I think that these ought to be reviewed at some point...

Of course if professionality is the image Arriva are wanting, then perhaps the monotonous voices are better in their eyes. Perhaps they should reflect their perception of professionality on their repaints, too. As I have already mentioned, the lack of consistency in livery designs when repainting buses is incredibly poor and doesn't show professionality in the slightest.

Or worse, the lack of repainting them at all for 15 years.