You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(11 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm)Michael wrote Christmas dinner is defiantly my favorite part of Christmas day now since i'm 23... 

Scandinavians tend to have their 'Christmas Dinner' @ 6pm on Christmas Eve, then, on Christmas Day, they have a 'cold table' buffet that people can browse from as and when they feel like it (with copious quantities of beer and schnaps as required).

In case you think that 'cold table' is a disappointment, you want to travel on the DFDS ferry from North Shields.

Such events are 'all you can eat' (even in private houses) and the food will be replenished as required until people stop (so the meal will last from noon until the participants are too intoxicated to bother - ie well into the late evening).

The Danes have two words for 'drunk' - one translates as intoxicated, whilst the other word is 'Full' (fuld) - they reckon you only stop drinking when you really cannot manage any more . . .
(11 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm)Andreos1 wrote @aureolin

Not too exact, but would have been beyond 0900 if I remember correctly.
It was the main topic of conversation and then Tom came on.

@Fozz
Sunderland at home this year. Fourth time in five years and anyone living beyond Seaham have to find another way of getting to the game, other than via bus from the East Durham area.
Appreciate football isn't the be all, end all nor the reason everyone will be heading into Sunderland on Boxing Day - but it is the reason for a significant number of those people.
Obviously in the other direction (and closer for home to you), you have the biggest outlet site between Royal Quays and McCarthur Glen in York, not having a service, on what is a traditionally busy day for sales.

I've got to agree I do think there could be more in the way of a service to Parkside, Dalton Park, Murton & Peterlee on Boxing Day. There is not a single service operating to Dalton Park or Peterlee which I do think is a missed opportunity. I can't kmagkne demand between Peterlee-Sunderland or Seaham-Sunderland is all that different but yet Seaham get a service and the latter doesn't? Don't get me wrong glad there is a bus to Seaham- for one it helps me on boxing day as I'm at work! 
Also I wonder if the lack of bus services affect dalton park sales too much? You would imagine having a bus would improve sales though. 
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what sort of loadings the bus services in Birtley have both during the day and on a night in both directions? Each time I see services 82 and 83 coming into Washington from Birtley it looks as though there is hardly anyone on it. Each time I have seen them on a night they are practically empty. I am aware that service 23 gets decent loadings on parts of the routes but is empty on other parts. I was just wondering if this is the norm for these services or just when I see them. I'm just wondering if there is really any need to have so many buses serving Birtley if they have poor loadings. Also I wonder if there is really any need for Services 82 and 83 to serve Lambton and Ayton every 15 mins during the day? Lambton and Ayton are also served by service 50/50A every half hour and Lambton is also served by the 2C every 20 mins. I wonder if it would be worth just having the 82 and 83 serve Lambton and Ayton every 30 mins and have the 83 serve Rickleton and Harraton only instead of doubling back on itself to serve Lambton and Ayton. If this could be done it would help to provide a more direct service. Just a thought.
(12 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm)Washingtonian wrote Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what sort of loadings the bus services in Birtley have both during the day and on a night in both directions? Each time I see services 82 and 83 coming into Washington from Birtley it looks as though there is hardly anyone on it. Each time I have seen them on a night they are practically empty. I am aware that service 23 gets decent loadings on parts of the routes but is empty on other parts. I was just wondering if this is the norm for these services or just when I see them. I'm just wondering if there is really any need to have so many buses serving Birtley if they have poor loadings. Also I wonder if there is really any need for Services 82 and 83 to serve Lambton and Ayton every 15 mins during the day? Lambton and Ayton are also served by service 50/50A every half hour and Lambton is also served by the 2C every 20 mins. I wonder if it would be worth just having the 82 and 83 serve Lambton and Ayton every 30 mins and have the 83 serve Rickleton and Harraton only instead of doubling back on itself to serve Lambton and Ayton. If this could be done it would help to provide a more direct service. Just a thought.

I see and use the services on a regular basis.

The loadings seem to be bitty - with very few using the route for the full route. They seem to use it in parts, with the Galleries/Savacentre and Concord the staging posts.

Between Barley Mow and Portmeads, you can be lucky to stop.
Ditto, between Birtley baths and Barley Mow club heading in the other direction.

There are people in those areas and apart from Vigo (that had only really ever seen the 23), they are areas which have seen bigger (and busier) buses through them for donkeys years.

There is obviously a reason that numbers are low...

At the risk of Malarkeys Lambton Mad Dogs on the case, I think it is over-served. Only by virtue of its location.
Glebe and Albany are just as fortunate.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(12 Nov 2014, 6:56 pm)Andreos1 wrote I see and use the services on a regular basis.

The loadings seem to be bitty - with very few using the route for the full route. They seem to use it in parts, with the Galleries/Savacentre and Concord the staging posts.

Between Barley Mow and Portmeads, you can be lucky to stop.
Ditto, between Birtley baths and Barley Mow club heading in the other direction.

There are people in those areas and apart from Vigo (that had only really ever seen the 23), they are areas which have seen bigger (and busier) buses through them for donkeys years.

There is obviously a reason that numbers are low...

At the risk of Malarkeys Lambton Mad Dogs on the case, I think it is over-served. Only by virtue of its location.
Glebe and Albany are just as fortunate.
All depends on the time of Day in which you are using the Services though, problem you at Lambton is the 82/83/50 and 2C all come within a few Minutes of each other, or at once in some cases when they are late, I'll list an example below from Lambton to The Galleries for the Timings of Buses.

00 - 50
04 - 2C
11 - 83
(Nothing for 13 Minutes)
24 - 2C
26 - 82
30 - 50
(Nothing for 11 Minutes)
41 - 83
44 - 2C
(Nothing for 13 Minutes)
57 - 82

Therefore you could Argue for 37 Minutes of the Hour there are No Buses between Lambton and The Galleries, So while I might have 9 Buses an Hour, which on Paper is Excellent in my Opinion, I in fact have quite a poor Service you might Argue, Overall I do think Washington could do with an Overhaul of it's Local Services.
(12 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote All depends on the time of Day in which you are using the Services though, problem you at Lambton is the 82/83/50 and 2C all come within a few Minutes of each other, or at once in some cases when they are late, I'll list an example below from Lambton to The Galleries for the Timings of Buses.

00 - 50
04 - 2C
11 - 83
(Nothing for 13 Minutes)
24 - 2C
26 - 82
30 - 50
(Nothing for 11 Minutes)
41 - 83
44 - 2C
(Nothing for 13 Minutes)
57 - 82

Therefore you could Argue for 37 Minutes of the Hour there are No Buses between Lambton and The Galleries, So while I might have 9 Buses an Hour, which on Paper is Excellent in my Opinion, I in fact have quite a poor Service you might Argue, Overall I do think Washington could do with an Overhaul of it's Local Services.

I use it at various times of the day, in different directions and in different parts. However,  I do agree with what you say about Lambton and the spread of the frequency.
Still not a bad little frequency like - running early until late?  Wink
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Heworth to the Galleries is a decent load, especially during the day. That probably extends to Ayton too, but again during the day. From Ayton towards Birtley can be very low on passenger numbers. When I used it on a morning, and an evening (when I was on nightshifts), it was not uncommon for me to be the only passenger on the bus.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 Nov 2014, 8:43 pm)aureolin wrote Heworth to the Galleries is a decent load, especially during the day. That probably extends to Ayton too, but again during the day. From Ayton towards Birtley can be very low on passenger numbers. When I used it on a morning, and an evening (when I was on nightshifts), it was not uncommon for me to be the only passenger on the bus.

I got on the 23:20 82A from Heworth to Concord on Saturday Night (Just Gone) and there were 10 Passengers on Board in Total, Out of those 10 I was the only one to Transfer over onto the Arriva 82 from Concord to Washington Galleries, and I was the only one on it throughout that Journey, nobody got on at Barmston etc as you might expect.
Site Administrator
To give some news on the Go North East front...

Since January, Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7090 (MH54 MBX) has been officially allocated to the Driver Training fleet at Gateshead/Riverside; however, it has also been allocated to National Express work on a number of occasions to cover when necessary. Its appearances on National Express work have been reduced somewhat since September, when changes to National Express contracts saw Go North East's PVR reduce drastically. Go North East currently has three additional spare coaches meaning that 7090 (MH54 MBX) is surplus to requirements in the Coaching fleet, and although it never officially moved out of the Driver Training fleet, it has now returned.

Volvo B10M/Plaxton Premiere 7078 (S978 ABR) was officially withdrawn from the Driver Training fleet last month (rather earlier than planned), with Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7092 (K2 VOY) taking its place in the Driver Training fleet. Given that the vehicle received a white repaint when it was withdrawn from the National Express fleet in September (to increase its book value prior to intended sale), I'm not entirely sure whether it will receive a repaint into Driver Training livery or not... I believe similar 7093 (K3 VOY) remains in reserve capacity as per 7090 (MH54 MBX)'s previous role within the fleet.
Site Administrator
(13 Nov 2014, 11:44 am)Jimmi wrote I think I saw one of the Hybrids or spare on the 701 and it appears to have been repainted into a gray silverish colour but the roof pod is still green though.

The diesel 'spare' Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 628 (NK61 DBZ) was covering for a Hybrid on service 700 today alongside "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 635 (NK61 FJP). Whilst it should be the diesel backup on service 701 opposed to a Hybrid, I'm guessing there's been an issue with the allocations today.

I'm not aware of any of the "Sunderland Connect" branded vehicles having been repainted. How much did the vehicle in question differ from the photo below? All I can suggest, if it did differ, is that the vehicle has sustained accident damage and it's gone out with silver panels rather than being repainted and re-branded straight away... 
[Image: 14127096030_3da0d71335.jpg]Go North East: 629 / NK61EFY by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
The diesel 'spare' Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 628 (NK61 DBZ) was covering for a Hybrid on service 700 today alongside "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR M890/Optare 635 (NK61 FJP). Whilst it should be the diesel backup on service 701 opposed to a Hybrid, I'm guessing there's been an issue with the allocations today.

I'm not aware of any of the "Sunderland Connect" branded vehicles having been repainted. How much did the vehicle in question differ from the photo below? All I can suggest, if it did differ, is that the vehicle has sustained accident damage and it's gone out with silver panels rather than being repainted and re-branded straight away...
I couldn't tell very well as it was miles away but it looked like at least some of the front was a greyish colour.
(13 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm)Dan wrote To give some news on the Go North East front...

Since January, Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7090 (MH54 MBX) has been officially allocated to the Driver Training fleet at Gateshead/Riverside; however, it has also been allocated to National Express work on a number of occasions to cover when necessary. Its appearances on National Express work have been reduced somewhat since September, when changes to National Express contracts saw Go North East's PVR reduce drastically. Go North East currently has three additional spare coaches meaning that 7090 (MH54 MBX) is surplus to requirements in the Coaching fleet, and although it never officially moved out of the Driver Training fleet, it has now returned.

Volvo B10M/Plaxton Premiere 7078 (S978 ABR) was officially withdrawn from the Driver Training fleet last month (rather earlier than planned), with Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panther 7092 (K2 VOY) taking its place in the Driver Training fleet. Given that the vehicle received a white repaint when it was withdrawn from the National Express fleet in September (to increase its book value prior to intended sale), I'm not entirely sure whether it will receive a repaint into Driver Training livery or not... I believe similar 7093 (K3 VOY) remains in reserve capacity as per 7090 (MH54 MBX)'s previous role within the fleet.

Albeit two of those spares has now been taken up with GNE taking on the 591 service (Edinburgh-London) from Yourbus, and hence the fleet has been stretched again. There's been a few loans recently too!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(13 Nov 2014, 6:17 pm)tyresmoke wrote Albeit two of those spares has now been taken up with GNE taking on the 591 service (Edinburgh-London) from Yourbus, and hence the fleet has been stretched again. There's been a few loans recently too!

Not quite, Scott.

Prior to the changes in September, Go North East had a PVR of 18 which was covered by 28 coaches in total. The service changes which were made resulted in a total loss of 7 vehicles from the PVR, meaning that they were covering a PVR of 11 with 28 coaches in total.

These changes allowed for the withdrawal of Volvo B12B/Plaxton Panthers 7092 (K2 VOY) and 7093 (K3 VOY) from the National Express fleet, with five coaches being left as additional spares pending discussions with National Express in regards to gaining more work. Changes to National Express contracts from Tuesday 21st October 2014 (when Go North East gained services 591/594 from Yourbus) saw the PVR rise by two vehicles again.

This means that, for the time being, Go North East still currently has three additional spare coaches, as I said before. Wink 
The fleet is far from stretched at the moment as they're covering a PVR of 13 with 26 coaches... I think recent loans have more so been due to coaches breaking down mid-route...
Site Administrator
(11 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm)Dan wrote 5324 will indeed be repainted whilst at Saltmeadows and Deptford has therefore kept 5322 in service until 5324 returns.

Former "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5324 (NK58 DWA) returned to Deptford this morning.
"Northern" branded Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6031 (V331 LGC) is the next vehicle to arrive at Saltmeadows for repaint. A number of Volvo B7TLs in the fleet are due to receive Go North East's corporate livery to remove the 'Northern' name from the fleet.

Also worth mentioning that Chester-le-Street's Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3868 (W178 SCU) and Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6026 (V226 LGC) returned from loan to Stanley yesterday.

I've updated our fleet lists to reflect the above information and all information given on the news report at the start of the week.
Site Administrator
(13 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm)Richyyk wrote Personally Id like to see the Highwayman fleet repainted, surely the tattiest presented vehicles in the company!

Repainted in mid to late 2012, they aren't due for repaint until mid-2016. At this point, the company could potentially be repainting the majority of the buses in the fleet in a pretty coat of red paint, depending on whether Quality Contracts go ahead or not...
(13 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm)Dan wrote Repainted in mid to late 2012, they aren't due for repaint until mid-2016. At this point, the company could potentially be repainting the majority of the buses in the fleet in a pretty coat of red paint, depending on whether Quality Contracts go ahead or not...

Looks like they're waiting to do that on the purple versa's to.... Tongue 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(13 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm)Dan wrote Former "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5324 (NK58 DWA) returned to Deptford this morning.

5322 is due to arrive at Saltmeadows this morning for repaint.

I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what sort of loadings the bus services in Birtley have both during the day and on a night in both directions? Each time I see services 82 and 83 coming into Washington from Birtley it looks as though there is hardly anyone on it. Each time I have seen them on a night they are practically empty. I am aware that service 23 gets decent loadings on parts of the routes but is empty on other parts. I was just wondering if this is the norm for these services or just when I see them. I'm just wondering if there is really any need to have so many buses serving Birtley if they have poor loadings.

In today's climate if the commercially run services into Birtley weren't making money...they wouldn't be running.

The 82/83 tend to get used in Birtley as a more local service as opposed to the whole route serving the North and Central end of Birtley (Portmeads etc) as well as Barley Mow as a link to the town centre (which will become more important once Morrisons opens at Easter 15)

Whilst Durham Road is well served other areas of Birtley aren't and Birtley is particularly hilly. Portmeads, Katergina etc are sheltered and elderly accomodation

The 23 is similar. The short runs from Barley Mow to The Crematorium are mainly for the local. Birtley has a very aged population and Elisabethville is nearly all elderly accommodation now as with large parts of Barley Mow.

So it's more a 'service' than a commercial need. Saying that I think the 23 could cope with going hourly.
Site Administrator
Ian Bradley currently towing 4942 back to Deptford - broke down on Ryhope Road in Sunderland whilst on 60s.
Site Administrator
(13 Nov 2014, 11:44 am)Jimmi wrote I think I saw one of the Hybrids or spare on the 701 and it appears to have been repainted into a gray silverish colour but the roof pod is still green though.
You were right.

One of the Hybrids has gained an allover Christmas(?) vinyl-based advertisement. Was sat in Park Lane about five minutes ago, on the main side.
(14 Nov 2014, 1:37 pm)Dan wrote You were right.

One of the Hybrids has gained an allover Christmas(?) vinyl-based advertisement. Was sat in Park Lane about five minutes ago, on the main side.

Thank god! was beginning to think my mind has been playing tricks on me.
Site Administrator

629 is the Solo which has gained a Christmassy sort of thing.

Just seen it leave park lane.. looks smart, its an all over for Christmas.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Nov 2014, 4:41 pm)Michael wrote Just seen it leave park lane.. looks smart, its an all over for Christmas.
Should of put it on a Purple Versa.
(14 Nov 2014, 4:42 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Should of put it on a Purple Versa.
I'd assume that because it's on one of the Sunderland Connect vehicles, it's been done in partnership with one of the Sunderland Connect sponsors.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook