You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Arriva North East - Latest
Ecocitys should be on town routes anyway there too big for the town they should be used mainly out of town, the batch of solos that were due should be used on all town routes with the bigger buses on the out of town routes
2 and 11 do probably need full size single deckers, although with the X26/X27 getting MAX Omnicitys most of Darlington's out of town routes will be using full size or near full size single deckers and the 7 getting a few Enviro 400s next year.
Does anyone know why the X20 seems to be permanently late? Just had a look through some comments on the Arriva FB page and it looks like the peak time runs are constantly very late...
Arriva North East - Latest
Unfortunately, Darlington is stuck with the EcoCitys on town routes, as they got a subsidy from the council to buy them. To be fair, they take a lot of flak, but they are smooth, comfortable to drive (once you get a few hours to get the seat right) and warm for the winter! Bad points are the doors, they feel huge to drive and they're not the quickest. But, they are here to stay as I can't see any alternatives.
(26 Nov 2014, 9:52 pm)MrPottski wrote Unfortunately, Darlington is stuck with the EcoCitys on town routes, as they got a subsidy from the council to buy them. To be fair, they take a lot of flak, but they are smooth, comfortable to drive (once you get a few hours to get the seat right) and warm for the winter! Bad points are the doors, they feel huge to drive and they're not the quickest. But, they are here to stay as I can't see any alternatives.

I think there'll always be niggles with the 3 former demonstrators as they've been parked up for so long.
I know what you mean about them feeling huge to drive mind!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(26 Nov 2014, 4:45 pm)Jimmi wrote Fun and games on the X66 again this afternoon as 2850 ended up running around 20 minutes late so ended up carrying two loads which resulted it leaving Stockton with full capacity with me just managing to squeeze on and left some passengers behind although a Pulsar was just a few minutes behind. It is so annoying that there is suitable buses sat doing nothing in the depot and we all have to attempt to squeeze onto a crappy Solo with not enough power to blast down the A66.

I am also starting to question the suitability of the EcoCity's on service 21/X21 as 4814 broke down just outside Darlington Town Centre this afternoon and I've seen EcoCitys being swapped around over the course of the day, also they are pretty slow at getting up to speed from pulling away from a standstill.

At least two Solos on today again. Including one of the ex Durham ones.
Every single seat taken up, and 29 standees by the time the 1700 X1 from Durham got to Shincliffe. It was literally taking a minute or two for people to get off the bus.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(27 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm)Cock Robin wrote At least two Solos on today again. Including one of the ex Durham ones.

1637 was on X66 as well.
Probably worth mentioning that Dart 1756 is parked up at Stockton now, and DAF 4039 is only seeing sporadic use when we are short. I'm sure some more DAFs have disappeared out of the yard for scrap too.

I was talking to a driver he said Arriva doing nothing about the 64 Apart from Putting Enviro 200s he said they don't have enough Deckers and that all students are meant to get X2 6 7
7523 has just had a minor bump on Bedlington front street. Nobody hurt I don't think (at least not on the bus). 
(I've got a picture on my phone, but can't seem to upload it)
Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest
(28 Nov 2014, 11:20 am)jaimz13 wrote I was talking to a driver he said Arriva doing nothing about the 64 Apart from Putting Enviro 200s he said they don't have enough Deckers and that all students are meant to get X2 6 7

You mean the already full to bursting X2, 7 and 6?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
I was talking to a driver he said Arriva doing nothing about the 64 Apart from Putting Enviro 200s he said they don't have enough Deckers and that all students are meant to get X2 6 7
Problem is Arriva seem to think ALL New College Durham students finish around 4pm which is not the case, good luck getting on the 64 at lunchtime as some students finish at lunchtime and then you have some just heading into Durham for lunch then back again. Some students finish at around 3pm and service 6 doesn't start serving Framwellgate Moor until 1604 and the 7 doesn't until 1638 and by that time most students have long finished, the 1638 service 7 is the only one of the 3 evening journeys that actually have any passengers on it, the 1708 often never had any passengers on it. Problem with the X2 is that it picks up at the Salutation Bus Gate stop while the 64 stops at the next stop and if you put your hand out for the X2 at that stop the driver will often point behind him to indicate that it stops at the other stop.
Site Administrator
(24 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm)Stuart Phin wrote How much you betting with darlo depot 4649 and 4655 will be in front line service tomorrow? 

Both appear to be undergoing repairs by DiagTest, explaining why they haven't been allocated...

[Image: 15706818790_d4c61b2366.jpg]Scania N94 Omnicity NK05 GXC 4649 of Arriva North East ready for MAX after engine ECU repairs by DIAGTEST LTD. by diagtestltd, on Flickr

[Image: 15868330266_0544443148.jpg]Scania N94 Omnicity 4655 during diagnostic downloads by DIAGTEST LTD. by diagtestltd, on Flickr
Site Administrator
Quick note to say that I've made some amendments to the Arriva North East fleet list in light of updates this week...
  • 2852/53 updated to reflect their transfer to Jesmond for shuttle service 115 in Morpeth.
  • 4653/59 updated to reflect that the vehicles have gained branding for service X15.
  • 7511 - 7513 updated to reflect that the vehicles have gained branding for service X15, additionally sporting the 'Shop Work Play' tagline.
  • 7514 - 7517 updated to reflect that the vehicles have gained branding for service X14, additionally sporting the 'Shop Work Play' tagline.
  • 7529 - 7533 updated to reflect that the vehicles have gained branding for service X18, additionally sporting the 'Coast & Castles' tagline.
(28 Nov 2014, 6:10 pm)Dan wrote Both appear to be undergoing repairs by DiagTest, explaining why they haven't been allocated...

[Image: 15706818790_d4c61b2366.jpg]Scania N94 Omnicity NK05 GXC 4649 of Arriva North East ready for MAX after engine ECU repairs by DIAGTEST LTD. by diagtestltd, on Flickr

[Image: 15868330266_0544443148.jpg]Scania N94 Omnicity 4655 during diagnostic downloads by DIAGTEST LTD. by diagtestltd, on Flickr

I saw MAX Omnicity heading to Faverdale this afternoon, but I was too far away to tell if it was another one arriving or just 4649 or 4655 on a test run.
(28 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm)John_R wrote I saw MAX Omnicity heading to Faverdale this afternoon, but I was too far away to tell if it was another one arriving or just 4649 or 4655 on a test run.

They do look nice like wasn't a fan at first but they seem to growing on me shame they don't have the scania logo on the front 
(28 Nov 2014, 10:39 pm)Stuart Phin wrote They do look nice like wasn't a fan at first but they seem to growing on me shame they don't have the scania logo on the front 

Looks like they've listened and done the floors on them!

Site Administrator
(28 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm)tyresmoke wrote Looks like they've listened and done the floors on them!
Great stuff!
Strange day for the X66 today

2836 (was supposed to be 1646 but due to a air leak got this instead)
I'm going to hazard a guess they thought that the X66 would be busy today and didn't want small Solos on (shame 2836 is out though).
Many standees on todays X1 leaving Bishop nr Tindale both at 10.28am & 11.28.This is proving a very popular service.
Arriva may need to order extra streetlites to increase the frequency!
Site Administrator
An unhealthy sounding 14-reg Enviro400 came into Haymarket earlier on Sapphire service X21, and a 57-reg example has broken down (presumably - lights off, no passengers, driver outside having a tab, hazards on) near Regent Centre.

Could this be why Ashington have still got Coast and Castles Lowlanders kicking about on the X15? Sparkle sparkle!
(29 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm)Dan wrote An unhealthy sounding 14-reg  Enviro400 came into Haymarket earlier on Sapphire service X21, and a 57-reg example has broken down (presumably - lights off, no passengers, driver outside having a tab, hazards on) near Regent Centre.

Could this be why Ashington have still got Coast and Castles Lowlanders kicking about on the X15? Sparkle sparkle!
Goes along with what I've said all along, with more than half the PVR being knackered you need 2 spares! Affecting other services now....
Site Administrator
(28 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm)tyresmoke wrote Looks like they've listened and done the floors on them!
Just to follow up - the OmniCitys are being internally refurbished to "MAX" specification at Thorntons.

Belmont's Scania CN94UB/Scania OmniCity 4643 (CX05 EOV) has been repainted into "MAX" base livery colours and is now at Thorntons for internal refurbishment.

There is no sign of any Volvo B9TLs which are due for Whitby, and those Solos present at Thorntons remain in "Durham Park & Ride" livery.
(29 Nov 2014, 11:37 am)Jimmi wrote I'm going to hazard a guess they thought that the X66 would be busy today and didn't want small Solos on (shame 2836 is out though).

There's an ex Durham Solo on now and 1428 came into M'bro Not In Service and went on. 1647 at least has come off.
There's an ex Durham Solo on now and 1428 came into M'bro Not In Service and went on. 1647 at least has come off.
I saw 1647 being removed when it arrived at Darlington.

1760 is out now, when I first saw it, it was just behind a Pulsar at around 1415.
Site Administrator
(29 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm)Dan wrote Just to follow up - the OmniCitys are being internally refurbished to "MAX" specification at Thorntons.

Belmont's Scania CN94UB/Scania OmniCity 4643 (CX05 EOV) has been repainted into "MAX" base livery colours and is now at Thorntons for internal refurbishment.

There is no sign of any Volvo B9TLs which are due for Whitby, and those Solos present at Thorntons remain in "Durham Park & Ride" livery.

Also forgot to add, two Dennis Dart SLF 4/Alexander Enviro 200 vehicles have been fully refurbished and repainted into standard Arriva livery.

These being 1321 (GN10 KWJ) and one of the 1323 - 1328 batch. These are both parked alongside the Durham Park & Ride Solos, but it was impossible to photograph them.
(29 Nov 2014, 6:55 pm)Dan wrote Also forgot to add, two Dennis Dart SLF 4/Alexander Enviro 200 vehicles have been fully refurbished and repainted into standard Arriva livery.

These being 1321 (GN10 KWJ) and one of the 1323 - 1328 batch. These are both parked alongside the Durham Park & Ride Solos, but it was impossible to photograph them.

Cheers for the updates Dan
Worth mentioning that the launch for service X66 (and I think X26/X27) is next Friday, the X66 in Stockton and then another launch in Darlington probably on the evening... I would guess Blackburn can't get these two (4643/6) done in time so they've been sent to Thorntons to be completed for next week.