You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2013

RE: Go North East
(12 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote So would it not then make sense to then split the PVR between Gateshead and Percy Main to cover dead mileage. Thus allowing some omnicities to go on the 50.

I think splitting would be a good idea, as it's a long run if a service is coming from Gateshead rather than North Tyneside. I'm not sure about Omnicities on the 50/50A as I didn't think their fuel consumption was that great, and it's quite a long route?
I know someone mentioned a while ago about a double decker being seen up Seaton. Just got off a Drifter versa when I saw 6018 approaching the traffic lights at Seaham Lodge having worked the 865 to Seaham. Not sure which way it went at the crossroads - but thought this working may have something to do with it.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

(12 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm)Kuyoyo wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote So.... Not sure it has been mentioned, if deckers are working the Durham Road services, due to the high volume of passengers (remember the Coaster used deckers too) - how are the Omnicities going to cope?

Add this to the problems caused in the past due to traffic congestion - as I said yesterday, this is a backwards step.

Next question, where are the Vykings going? Presumably replacing the remaining Yellow deckers or will they end up elsewhere?

The Coaster went single not long after the 1/2 were originally extended to Wrekenton and Kibblesworth, plus most time I have been to Gateshead recently, the majority of 24 workings have been single decker. The only reason it used the Vykings on the first place was because it was somewhere to put them. Likelihood is they'll be used to replace Tridents on front-line runs (13/14, X22, X25, X30/X31/X70/X71 and X43) which indirectly replaces the Yellow Bus Olympians.

Timetable from Jan 2007 for the 1 / 2 running the Wrekenton / Kibblesworth route here. Fleet list from August 2008 showing still 11 deckers branded for Coaster? Looking at fleet lists after this date, they only gradually started removing them for repaint / reallocation.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(12 Jul 2013, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Forgetting about the X1 or the 21 for now.

How many seats per hour are there currently between Harlow Green and Gateshead via Low Fell using the current PVR of Vykings?

How many will there be following the change between Harlow Green and Gateshead via Low Fell using the upcoming PVR using Omnicities?

The Vykings can hold between 63 and 80 Passengers, that must be 17 standees. so that would be a total of 189 Seats per hour.

The Omnicities i think seat 40 - 45 - so that would be between 120 - 135

So seating difference per hour is between 54 and 69 which is basically a loss of one double decker
Outside of peak time, I can't see that causing too many issues. In peak time, it will be curious to see what happens.

I'm trusting your maths on that one, but the loss of the equivalent of a decker could make a big difference to commuters.
(12 Jul 2013, 4:42 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Forgetting about the X1 or the 21 for now.

How many seats per hour are there currently between Harlow Green and Gateshead via Low Fell using the current PVR of Vykings?

How many will there be following the change between Harlow Green and Gateshead via Low Fell using the upcoming PVR using Omnicities?

The Vykings can hold between 63 and 80 Passengers, that must be 17 standees. so that would be a total of 189 Seats per hour.

The Omnicities i think seat 40 - 45 - so that would be between 120 - 135

So seating difference per hour is between 54 and 69 which is basically a loss of one double decker

The actually lose of seats would only be 37 an hour for Low Fell:

Vykings seat 67(x3) = 201
OmniCity seat 41(x4) = 164
(12 Jul 2013, 4:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote Outside of peak time, I can't see that causing too many issues. In peak time, it will be curious to see what happens.

I'm trusting your maths on that one, but the loss of the equivalent of a decker could make a big difference to commuters.

The Vyking is accurate, I couldn't find anything on the omnicity so that is guessed, but i'd say it's about right, knowing me i'll be like 1 seat out or something, but either way it looks it'll be missing a Decker
The 24 isn't always the Vyking anyway. Last few weeks I've caught it, it has been a good mix of single deck vehicles
Site Administrator
(12 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm)Kuyoyo wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm)Andreos1 wrote There were branded deckers working the Coaster up until the last couple of years.
Pretty certain they were taken off the route AFTER the Coaster stopped going over the river.

As quoted just on this forum the other day, there are 3 Vykings on the 24 every day.
Just recently I have seen a Tyne Tees Express and whatever that green decker with the bunting painted on has also been on it.

The Newcastle/Gateshead - Low Fell stretch is a heavily used service, especially in peak. The majority of the Angel deckers are empty by the time they get beyond Harlow Green, with the 24 acting as an alternative.
Sticking an Omnicity to relieve the pressure on the Gemini's doesn't make sense.

Edit: Three photos taken a few years apart: www.flickr.com/photos/sjdavison28/4644774814/in/set-72157624147244174 and www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3720948684/ and this one from just two years ago www.flickr.com/photos/35759580@N03/5656822045/

Only 2 remained branded until weeks before the shorting, but the rest were taken off back in 2009 to replace the OmniCitys on the 21! Plus, it's basically means 4 Coasters an hour replace 3 24s an hour.

Hasn't it also been said that only every other run will go to Wrekenton? Two Coasters per hour to replace three 24s.
Think logic - you'll need more additional branded Coasters to meet the frequency you say. Only need one more (because of the branded spare) if we go with only every other run. Where's there one kicking about that's spare I wonder? Stanley!
(12 Jul 2013, 5:50 pm)Daniel wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm)Andreos1 wrote There were branded deckers working the Coaster up until the last couple of years.
Pretty certain they were taken off the route AFTER the Coaster stopped going over the river.

As quoted just on this forum the other day, there are 3 Vykings on the 24 every day.
Just recently I have seen a Tyne Tees Express and whatever that green decker with the bunting painted on has also been on it.

The Newcastle/Gateshead - Low Fell stretch is a heavily used service, especially in peak. The majority of the Angel deckers are empty by the time they get beyond Harlow Green, with the 24 acting as an alternative.
Sticking an Omnicity to relieve the pressure on the Gemini's doesn't make sense.

Edit: Three photos taken a few years apart: www.flickr.com/photos/sjdavison28/4644774814/in/set-72157624147244174 and www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3720948684/ and this one from just two years ago www.flickr.com/photos/35759580@N03/5656822045/

Only 2 remained branded until weeks before the shorting, but the rest were taken off back in 2009 to replace the OmniCitys on the 21! Plus, it's basically means 4 Coasters an hour replace 3 24s an hour.

Hasn't it also been said that only every other run will go to Wrekenton? Two Coasters per hour to replace three 24s.
Think logic - you'll need more additional branded Coasters to meet the frequency you say. Only need one more (because of the branded spare) if we go with only every other run. Where's there one kicking about that's spare I wonder? Stanley!

4 per hour to Low Fell then 2 to Wrekenton and 2 to Kibblesworth.
Site Administrator
(12 Jul 2013, 6:00 pm)Kuyoyo wrote

During the day? Seems a little odd to have two buses serve Kibblesworth during the day when it doesn't happen at present with the 24 (only "Waggonway" 28A, "Nexus" 29 or evening/Sunday only 24A do at the moment)...

Won't that create problems with stands at Gateshead?
If 2 Coasters are going to Kibblesworth an hour and 2 going to Wrekenton, then I can't see the Waggonway continuing in its present format.

Another network re-launch in Gateshead?

(Blame the wine but...) The 28 and 28a (or 709, 728 or 733) in its original guise took just as long (if not quicker) to get to points beyond Eighton Lodge/The Angel, as the Low Fell services.
Yes, the current DAF's are naff, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't more popular as a local Gateshead service, than they actually are.
Heading down Bensham Bank, locals will wait for a Saltwell Park or Highwayman, even though a 28a is waiting at the stop.
Passengers waiting to get up along Old Durham Road, will prefer a 56 or 57 over a 28 (or X25).

When working in Newcastle or Gateshead in years gone by and needing to be back at Chester or Birtley, I would specifically choose these services, knowing they took a similar time, but were half as crowded.
(12 Jul 2013, 7:26 pm)Andreos1 wrote If 2 Coasters are going to Kibblesworth an hour and 2 going to Wrekenton, then I can't see the Waggonway continuing in its present format.

(Blame the wine but...) The 28 and 28a (or 709, 728 or 733) in its original guise took just as long (if not quicker) to get to points beyond Eighton Lodge/The Angel, as the Low Fell services.
Yes, the current DAF's are naff, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they aren't more popular as a local Gateshead service, than they actually are.
Heading down Bensham Bank, locals will wait for a Saltwell Park or Highwayman, even though a 28a is waiting at the stop.
Passengers waiting to get up along Old Durham Road, will prefer a 56 or 57 over a 28 (or X25).

When working in Newcastle or Gateshead in years gone by and needing to be back at Chester or Birtley, I would specifically choose these services, knowing they took a similar time, but were half as crowded.

I think cost may have a slight factor? For example, the 57 is flat £1.45 between Wardley and Gateshead, then £1.95 to Newcastle, so boarding at points between QE Hospital and Newcastle may show that passengers prefer a cetain service. I know the 56 is more expensive than the 57, but I'm not sure about the 28. Also, the 53/54 is flat £1.45 everywhere I think?
Site Administrator
3880 has been fitted with racks - see photo here.

Becoming more and more frequent these days, "East Durham" MPD 519 was on the X7 yesterday - see photo here.

"Coaster" branded 5263 is the next to be repainted, and is pictured here being prepped at Saltmeadows.

"Northern" Lolyne 3858 has been repainted and her Vodafone advert removed, which is displayed in this photograph.

Some of Percy Main's branded vehicles are having logos removed to make way for advert boards - a North Tyne Links example is shown here, while a Centurion example is shown here.

"X66 Metrocentre" Citaro artic 5341 made it onto the Citylink 58 service today - see photo here.

"Laser" Citaro 5306 provided a nice ride for customers today on service X36 - see photo here.

"Fast Cats" 4974 also made it onto the 26As this evening, and a photo is displayed here

Yellow MPD 565 found herself on the X70/X71 today, and a photo of that is displayed here

Ex-"Coaster" 5262 is shown in blue here

And finally, Go North East had "Yellow Bus" Olympian 3833 and "Great Park & Ride" 4952 on the Metro replacement service today.
(12 Jul 2013, 8:43 pm)BJ10VUS wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 7:26 pm)Andreos1 wrote If 2 Coasters are going to Kibblesworth an hour and 2 going to Wrekenton, then I can't see the Waggonway continuing in its present format.

I think cost may have a slight factor? For example, the 57 is flat £1.45 between Wardley and Gateshead, then £1.95 to Newcastle, so boarding at points between QE Hospital and Newcastle may show that passengers prefer a cetain service. I know the 56 is more expensive than the 57, but I'm not sure about the 28. Also, the 53/54 is flat £1.45 everywhere I think?

Yet another example of GNE's simplistic pricing structure Rolleyes
(12 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm)AdamY wrote Yet another example of GNE's simplistic pricing structure Rolleyes

It's brilliant, isn't it! Tongue

It's £2.50 on the 56 from Wrekenton to Gateshead, yet if you get the 51 (which only takes a few minutes longer) it's only £1.45!

I don't find anything simple about it at all! How on earth it's £2.50 from Team Valley to Heworth, but £4.10 return from Middlesbrough to Darlington on the OK1 (according to a response on Facebook)?
Probably best suited to the pricing thread, but relevant to this: What happens to GNE's profit margins and 'simplified pricing structure' when an OAP gets the 56 from Gateshead to the QE, but gets a 57 back?

How about someone getting a return from Wrekenton on the X1 to Newcastle, but gets the 52 back home?

Or a purple ticket is bought at the QE for someone travelling to the MetroCentre with an X66 there and a Highwayman and an 57 back?
Another example of the crazy pricing, OK1 Bishop to Boro £4.70 return or £4.65 for a day ticket.
(12 Jul 2013, 10:08 pm)BJ10VUS wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm)AdamY wrote Yet another example of GNE's simplistic pricing structure Rolleyes

It's brilliant, isn't it! Tongue

It's £2.50 on the 56 from Wrekenton to Gateshead, yet if you get the 51 (which only takes a few minutes longer) it's only £1.45!

I don't find anything simple about it at all! How on earth it's £2.50 from Team Valley to Heworth, but £4.10 return from Middlesbrough to Darlington on the OK1 (according to a response on Facebook)?

I am sure it's £2.60 on the 17 and 80 from Wallsend to North Shields, but £1.95 on the 1! :L
Pricing structure madness I've discovered doing welfare visits this week around Birtley

Wrekenton Co-Op to Birtley Komatsu on 23 with Stanley Travel is £1.30. With Connect its £1.55 but both tickets allowed through travel to terminus at Barley Mow.

From Coach and Horses to Komatsu £1.30 with Stanley and £1.55 with Connect again. TB14 is a £1. GNE is £1.35 with last stop permitted North Lodge.

My works expense team thought I was making it up!

Re-Andreos. The 728/09/33 and then 28/A. Your right they used to be quicker and still are aside the 28A. Must be trained into heads to ride the big brands
OK SPD on 71. OK Expressway on 50.

Prince Bishops marked as 'Bus Full' and stuck on A690 outside Ramside and others taking shortcuts via the Shell access road at Carville
(13 Jul 2013, 8:51 am)gtomlinson wrote Pricing structure madness I've discovered doing welfare visits this week around Birtley

Wrekenton Co-Op to Birtley Komatsu on 23 with Stanley Travel is £1.30. With Connect its £1.55 but both tickets allowed through travel to terminus at Barley Mow.

From Coach and Horses to Komatsu £1.30 with Stanley and £1.55 with Connect again. TB14 is a £1. GNE is £1.35 with last stop permitted North Lodge.

My works expense team thought I was making it up!

Re-Andreos. The 728/09/33 and then 28/A. Your right they used to be quicker and still are aside the 28A. Must be trained into heads to ride the big brands

That's really interesting. Since the 23 is a Nexus contracted service, you would presume that the price would be the same for all journeys regardless of operator. I wonder if Nexus are aware of this price discrepancy or whether if anyone has brought it to their attention. If not, someone should.

However, based upon the prices listed here, if I lived in Birtley and wanted to travel to Wrekenton I would always use the 23 as it's the cheaper option whatever the operator. The next step up on GNE's fare structure is the £1.95 fare, although realistically, for this particular journey, the fare will more likely be £2.60 (based on journeys inside the Purple Zone from Wrekenton to the Galleries and Donwell/Concord/Sulgrave). If travelling from the Portmeads/Portobello area down to Birtley, I'd make sure I kept an eye out for that cunningly disguised van known to some as the TB14. That £1 fare seems like an absolute bargain when compared to the usual price of bus fares in the area.

One another note, the information provided has enlightened me on how to fiddle my expenses if I'm ever required to travel by public transport in the Birtley area. Every bus I catch will be operated by Connect when travelling within Birtley itself, if I need to go to Wrekenton, it will always be a GNE I'll catch. ;-)
(13 Jul 2013, 10:52 am)gtomlinson wrote No extra ops for the Gala?

Does anyone know what is op the extra X21s?

Not that I have seen. Thought there may have been some deckers on the services normally operated by Scanias like the 20 or 50.
Seems strange seeing 3 Oks working from Chester today, maybe they have allocated some deckers to work the Spenny, Bishop services for Gala work on that side.

Crowds of people at the Gala. Busiest I have seen it for a long time. Nice to see the Unions prospering and the corporates struggling today though Wink
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2013, 10:33 am)Andreos1 wrote OK SPD on 71. OK Expressway on 50.

Just in case I have a chance later to try and catch up with both, where did you see said workings?
That's providing they've not been removed anyway!
The OK Scania was passing Picktree depot just after 11 heading to Durham and the 71 has been the MPD for the majority of the day (saw it in Chester this morning and Houghton this afternoon)

The OK 71 is heading into Chester now up Ropery Lane if your planning to catch it. A Cadet was also getting into Houghton 10mins ago on an M1
Site Administrator
(13 Jul 2013, 2:49 pm)Andreos1 wrote The OK Scania was passing Picktree depot just after 11 heading to Durham and the 71 has been the MPD for the majority of the day (saw it in Chester this morning and Houghton this afternoon)

The OK 71 is heading into Chester now up Ropery Lane if your planning to catch it. A Cadet was also getting into Houghton 10mins ago on an M1

Phone died so I didn't actually see your reply, but thanks anyway.
I luckily caught it in Houghton at 16:15. Didn't manage to get the OK Expressway Scania though as I didn't have enough time.
Site Administrator
(12 Jul 2013, 6:02 pm)Daniel wrote
(12 Jul 2013, 6:00 pm)Kuyoyo wrote

During the day? Seems a little odd to have two buses serve Kibblesworth during the day when it doesn't happen at present with the 24 (only "Waggonway" 28A, "Nexus" 29 or evening/Sunday only 24A do at the moment)...

It does seem that Kibblesworth will be evening only/Sundays (24A), as I had originally thought. Every other run to Wrekenton - the sensible option. Wink