You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Needed to be in Newcastle this morning, so went to the stop for the 4, planning on connecting to an X1.
The journey takes about an hour, including connections.

Today, from getting to the bus stop to getting into Newcastle, it took an hour and a half.

Traffic wasn't bad when I was on either bus, loadings were decent - but both were 5 mins late when I boarded them.
No dramas.
It happens.

The X1, which was 5mins late on boarding, lost an additional 8mins at the Galleries - following a driver change over and a long queue of passengers getting on.
Obviously since services in Washington were condensed, the X1 is the only service that links the Galleries to Newcastle,
The queue of people don't have an alternative, so an ever expanding queue builds up for the X1.

On leaving Gateshead, two vehicles were following each other (carrying nowt but fresh air - but still in service).
One was on time (it being the run in front of us), the other 10mins late.

Anyway, got into Newcastle just under 15mins late - which by my reckoning, left a canny gap between the late running X1 I had been on and one of the vehicles we had seen in Gateshead.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Go North East: Regrettably, due to a breakdown, the #X21 scheduled to depart from Eldon Square at 16:05 isn't operating. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Go North East - Latest
Has anybody seen durham county council new website with their latest updated bus mapping section.

Any body got any feedback comments, I perfer the old style with the bus route numbers along the road

Has anybody seen durham county council new website with their latest updated bus mapping section.

Any body got any feedback comments, I perfer the old style with the bus route numbers along the road
I like how you can zoom in and look at your stop and see what services stop there.

Although I also miss the map with the service numbers showing the route the services follow.
@Davey

Just one legged it at the last min.
The majority had a ticket/pass of some sort already. Guessing they were (apart from conc passes), commuters or students.
Either way, the majority will have travelled to the Galleries on another bus.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(04 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm)cbma06 wrote Has anybody seen durham county council new website with their latest updated bus mapping section.

Maybe this deserves its own thread?

I probably prefer the old style of mapping because that's the style I'm most accustomed with. However I do like how it's possible to zoom in to see how routes operate around smaller villages rather than just larger towns (or city in Durham's case). At first glance it looks user-friendly and I haven't encountered any problems in navigating my way round.

It may take a little time to get used to get used to but I think it's an improvement overall. 
(04 Dec 2014, 10:40 pm)Jimmi wrote I like how you can zoom in and look at your stop and see what services stop there.

Although I also miss the map with the service numbers showing the route the services follow.

Is it the same engine as the Nexus My Journey? Thats an excellent website
I don't see the point of GNE painting the "Northern" branded buses into plain red with GNE logos. From the driver's side of the buses the new livery looks a bit "bare"...
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(05 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote I don't see the point of GNE painting the "Northern" branded buses into plain red with GNE logos. From the driver's side of the buses the new livery looks a bit "bare"...
Well that's not the finished product...
Diversions News

Date: 03 Dec 2014

To enable contractors working on behalf of the Highways Agency to carry out essential highway works, an emergency road closure is required from 6th December until the 7th December 2014.
This will run in conjunction with the existing temporary closure, resulting in the bridge being closed fully from Friday 5th December at 8pm until Monday 8th December at 6am.

Consequently, Service 50 will be diverted between Glover Road and West Boldon via Spire Road, A1231, A19 and A184 Newcastle Road in both directions, whilst Service 56 between Glover Road and Washington Road will divert via Spire Road, A1231 and Ferryboat Lane, in each direction.

Neither service will be able to serve Nissan main bus stops.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this closure, which is outside of our control.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(05 Dec 2014, 1:34 pm)Dan wrote Well that's not the finished product...

Well it's taking a bloody long time to finish it. As I've said before they should have left all unbranded buses as "Northern". Most other Go Ahead companies have kept their traditional names which have much more appeal and the majority of passengers here still refer to it as "Northern"; otherwise they use the brand name.
(05 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Well it's taking a bloody long time to finish it. As I've said before they should have left all unbranded buses as "Northern". Most other Go Ahead companies have kept their traditional names which have much more appeal and the majority of passengers here still refer to it as "Northern"; otherwise they use the brand name.

Not just them though, we can't forgot the purple versa's which have being like that for nearly 14 months, hopefully in January when the Sunderland changes will go ahead, they will branded. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(05 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Well it's taking a bloody long time to finish it. As I've said before they should have left all unbranded buses as "Northern". Most other Go Ahead companies have kept their traditional names which have much more appeal and the majority of passengers here still refer to it as "Northern"; otherwise they use the brand name.

It cannot be denied that it has taken far too long for the new corporate livery to be rolled out across the fleet; indeed, it has now been twelve months since the first vehicle came out repainted with no 'Northern' vinyls added. I'd imagine that this will reflect a number of different designs being contemplated, and senior management not coming to a conclusive decision.

I am not going to debate the whole 'Northern' identity again, as this was done twelve months ago.
Just spotted on the GNE site, they need to change the info for the lime, as for the 8 it still has:

lime service 8 runs from Chester-le-Street to Sunderland via Rickleton, Harraton, Washington Galleries, Waterview Park and Sunderland Royal Hospital. Buses run every 30 minutes during Monday to Saturday daytimes.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(05 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote As I've said before they should have left all unbranded buses as "Northern". Most other Go Ahead companies have kept their traditional names which have much more appeal and the majority of passengers here still refer to it as "Northern";
As a resident of Tynedale I beg to differ.
We never saw Northern buses (apart from walking past Worswick Street bus station in Newcastle) and I consider the brand to be associated with Gateshead (and, probably, places further afield than 'Newcastle').

I grew up with United (which morphed into 'Northumbria' livery), then of course we had the split with Arriva.

I think we (in Tynedale) got the better part of the deal.

I am completely satisfied with the service(s) provided by GNE and only use the Arriva buses when there is no alternative.

People west of Hexham have no alternative (apart from the ones run by Stagecoach - who have greatly improved their buses - but they are few and far between).

(05 Dec 2014, 10:00 pm)gtom wrote Quite nice seeing Pilgrim St and 21 on the boards....just need one to programme as 'Newcastle Odeon'

I wish they still terminated the 21 there. It'd certainly resolve some of the reliability issues, without the faffing on with Percy Street.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(05 Dec 2014, 10:04 pm)aureolin wrote I wish they still terminated the 21 there. It'd certainly resolve some of the reliability issues, without the faffing on with Percy Street.

Yep they can't win with that though....

Customer feedback wanted them to terminate at Eldon Sq but feedback also says its an unreliable service. Sure the last pre- major change of the Angel was Durham 21's opping out of Eldon Square and Chester out of Pilgrim St....though it used to annoy me when drivers booted you out on John Dobson St
(05 Dec 2014, 11:51 pm)gneasy91 wrote Whats going to replace 71 if that service gets withdrawn

Laser 36, its in the GNE changes thread.

Although its only under the 35 for the changes from vosa (citaro said it looks like its under one number).
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(05 Dec 2014, 11:59 pm)Michael wrote Laser 36, its in the GNE changes thread.

Although its only under the 35 for the changes from vosa (citaro said it looks like its under one number).
Laser 36? Tongue

Who is to say that the brand name will be retained?
Site Administrator
Not sure what's up with the X9... Just seen two heading to Newcastle from Peterlee within five mins of each other.
(06 Dec 2014, 8:11 am)Dan wrote Laser 36? Tongue

Who is to say that the brand name will be retained?

Scania's just being repainted Tongue, and it just sounds much better than just the 36. Haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Go North East
18 minutes ago
Due to a number of parked lorries, service 49B is unable to serve Hazel Road and will divert via Shibdon Bank until further notice.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Go North East - Latest
(05 Dec 2014, 11:59 pm)Michael wrote Laser 36, its in the GNE changes thread.

By VOSA it's got down as 35 (35A,36) on the registration if u do a search.

(06 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm)cbma06 wrote By VOSA it's got down as 35 (35A,36) on the registration if u do a search.

Ye, citaro said its likely to be down as one number, although its not gonna be as confusing the current laser services!

It doesn't include the 35A/36 on it?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.