You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Whats made you happy today?
After this morning's dreadful start (see What's Annoying You thread), my day got much better when I found out I got a 1st on my first uni assignment Big Grin
@Fozz

Haven't had that many expletives thrown against my name, since the last time the GNE management team went on the lash!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Whats made you happy today?
(08 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote @Fozz

Haven't had that many expletives thrown against my name, since the last time the GNE management team went on the lash!
Big Grin lol Andreos...
Marxista Fozzski
Re: Whats made you happy today?
@Andreos

Hope you dont mind taking the piss mate...

Always wanted to do my own downfall parody, and could not think of anything else lol...

I was never good at comedy when I was a drama student Big Grin
Just replied to your PM.

No, don't mind at all. Found it quite funny.
The more militant members of the FPF are currently burning effigies and planning on an invasion of Murton though Wink
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Dec 2014, 10:05 am)Andreos1 wrote Just replied to your PM.

No, don't mind at all. Found it quite funny.
The more militant members of the FPF are currently burning effigies and planning on an invasion of Murton though Wink.
Damn...I am fucked then...the reign of terror will childish in it's tactics, I better go and see the vicar to ring the church bells, to warn of the impending invasion Big Grin
Gonna have snipers climb the wind turbines - got long range spud guns trained on the ar$es of those who dare badmouth the FPF.

The FPF have also trained/recruited members of the South Hetton Wildboys and Easington Lane Wildgirls, to sneak up the old railway line and push people off bikes into nettle bushes too.
(09 Dec 2014, 11:05 am)Andreos1 wrote Gonna have snipers climb the wind turbines - got long range spud guns trained on the ar$es of those who dare badmouth the FPF.

The FPF have also trained/recruited members of the South Hetton Wildboys and Easington Lane Wildgirls, to sneak up the old railway line and push people off bikes into nettle bushes too.

Something similar has actually happened to me in the past. I wasn't riding a bike, but I was lured and pushed into a bush of nettles by an older boy when I was about five years old. I was living in Blaydon at the time. 
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm)AdamY wrote Something similar has actually happened to me in the past. I wasn't riding a bike, but I was lured and pushed into a bush of nettles by an older boy when I was about five years old. I was living in Blaydon at the time. 
I know a lass who once nettled her flaps when she was having a wee in a bush Big Grin
Got an email from East Coast saying that I won last week's Bid for a Seat Facebook Competition, so I've now got two free First Class tickets to London and back Big Grin
Whats made you happy today?
(09 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm)Adam wrote Got an email from East Coast saying that I won last week's Bid for a Seat Facebook Competition, so I've now got two free First Class tickets to London and back Big Grin

Jesus that's brilliant!

Ya know how me n'you have grown quite close over the past 6 months, what with meh giving you advise about your Arkansassy woman! Wink

Nah take whoever you want! Smile - enjoy it!
Go during the week, whatever you do. On the slowest train possible.

If you time it right, you should get a breakfast and daytime meal out of it going down.
Never worked out the best time to come back.

Hope for delays or overhead wire problems and milk 1st class for all it is worth.

You should get at least two servings and sit as close to the kitchen as possible - you will be served first and get first choice on the menu!
(09 Dec 2014, 6:50 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Jesus that's brilliant!

Ya know how me n'you have grown quite close over the past 6 months, what with meh giving you advise about your Arkansassy woman! Wink

Nah take whoever you want! Smile - enjoy it!

Thanks. I'm sure I will. I'm still undecided as to when to go, but I do love the HST train, so if I can get say the 7:57 down from NCL to KGX and the 20:00 back up, then that would be great Big Grin

I still haven't seen a Borismaster in the flesh yet, so it would also be great if I could twok a ride on one of them. Certainly a lot of planning to do haha.

(09 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm)Andreos1 wrote Go during the week, whatever you do. On the slowest train possible.

If you time it right, you should get a breakfast and daytime meal out of it going down.
Never worked out the best time to come back.

Hope for delays or overhead wire problems and milk 1st class for all it is worth.

You should get at least two servings and sit as close to the kitchen as possible - you will be served first and get first choice on the menu!

Certainly a lot to think about.

I don't know if I can go during the week with uni and that. I get most Wednesday's off but I usually find myself either doing assignments or other work, so it will have to be on a weekend. Also, I don't get a February half-term holiday, instead having an extra week at Easter, but I'm not sure if the tickets are still valid for then. They should be. I'll have to read the T&Cs.
When I went down to London with East Coast in October, I had a Class 43 HST on the 08:38 from Durham, so that would be the 08:20ish from Newcastle. From what I've seen, it's always a HST. Smile

One thing I would definitely look into, Adam, is using the Flying Scotsman service. You know the one that starts at Edinburgh at like 05:40, gets to Newcastle for bang on 07:00 and arrives into King's Cross for about 10:00? Get on that.

I imagine it'll be a worthwhile experience. I'd absolutely love to do that! (Hintedy hint hint!) Tongue
(09 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote When I went down to London with East Coast in October, I had a Class 43 HST on the 08:38 from Durham, so that would be the 08:20ish from Newcastle. From what I've seen, it's always a HST. Smile

One thing I would definitely look into, Adam, is using the Flying Scotsman service. You know the one that starts at Edinburgh at like 05:40, gets to Newcastle for bang on 07:00 and arrives into King's Cross for about 10:00? Get on that.

I imagine it'll be a worthwhile experience. I'd absolutely love to do that! (Hintedy hint hint!) Tongue

I love the Flying Scotsman service. I'll always aim to get that one, as it makes a massive amount of difference when it's non-stop. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(09 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm)aureolin wrote I love the Flying Scotsman service. I'll always aim to get that one, as it makes a massive amount of difference when it's non-stop. 

Indeed. Never been on it, but it's just one of those things I aim to do, maybe when I've got some spare cash at Uni!

Just checked a few things, and a whole set can carry about 500 people, and I remember in All Aboard: East Coast Trains hearing the narrator say about 100 get on at Edinburgh and the same at Newcastle, before going non-stop to King's Cross. Should make a pretty nice journey. Smile

@Adam, I imagine the Flying Scotsman service won't be a HST. What with a Class 91 + Mk4 Set being in a special livery for it, and apparently being allocated to it!
(09 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Indeed. Never been on it, but it's just one of those things I aim to do, maybe when I've got some spare cash at Uni!

Just checked a few things, and a whole set can carry about 500 people, and I remember in All Aboard: East Coast Trains hearing the narrator say about 100 get on at Edinburgh and the same at Newcastle, before going non-stop to King's Cross. Should make a pretty nice journey. Smile

@Adam, I imagine the Flying Scotsman service won't be a HST. What with a Class 91 + Mk4 Set being in a special livery for it, and apparently being allocated to it!

Aye, it's never massively busy, as most at Newcastle pile on to the 0655 instead. Whenever I book in advance it's about £83.00 for the 0655, and £118 for the 0703. So I guess most business travellers will be told to use the 0655.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Must apologise in advance for the length of the post....

(09 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm)Dan wrote First Class on a weekend isn't worth it - you definitely ought to find the time to do it on a weekday!

Of course, I dare say, the trains are busier on a weekend compared to weekdays (obviously excluding peak times). Like I said earlier, I'll have to look into the T&Cs to see when the expiry date is and if it's after the Easter holidays.

(09 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote When I went down to London with East Coast in October, I had a Class 43 HST on the 08:38 from Durham, so that would be the 08:20ish from Newcastle. From what I've seen, it's always a HST. Smile

You're not going to give up with the hints are you haha Tongue (Something completely unrelated but I know it'll make you happy.... My driver on the X25 this morning may have been the one and only Pat Armstrong. What does she look like again?)

Anyway, yeah, I know the Flying Scotsman. 05:40 from EDB, non-stop to NCL leaving at 07:04 and then non-stop to KGX arriving at 09:40ish I think. Never used that particular service before but there's a first for everything. Suppose it gives me more time in the Capital I do get it. Only problem though is that it won't allow me to follow Andreos' suggestion of timing the trains so that I get a breakfast and a brunch/lunch out of it.

(09 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm)aureolin wrote I love the Flying Scotsman service. I'll always aim to get that one, as it makes a massive amount of difference when it's non-stop.

I suppose a non-stop service will make the journey seem a heck of a lot quicker. 2 and a half hours is still a large amount of time to keep yourself occupied for.

(09 Dec 2014, 7:30 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Indeed. Never been on it, but it's just one of those things I aim to do, maybe when I've got some spare cash at Uni!

Spare cash whilst at uni?! What planet are you on Tongue It all goes on other stuff *cough* PARTYING *cough*.

Yeah, I've saw the 07:04 before when I went down to York for a uni open day and it was a Class 91. Shame really but never mind.
(09 Dec 2014, 7:50 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Patsy? Very cheery; always friendly. Has blonde/gold hair, always nice and short, (for a lady!) and normally says 'hiya!' when someone boards! Smile

Might have been. She fits your description apart from saying hello. Saying that though, she might have done, but I had my earphones in so wouldn't have heard. What she did do though was wait for me to board after she saw is running for the bus. Very nice gesture Smile

I recall someone having a pic of her when driving. If I saw that then I should be able to decipher whether it was her or not.
Site Administrator
(09 Dec 2014, 7:55 pm)Adam wrote Might have been. She fits your description apart from saying hello. Saying that though, she might have done, but I had my earphones in so wouldn't have heard. What she did do though was wait for me to board after she saw is running for the bus. Very nice gesture Smile

I recall someone having a pic of her when driving. If I saw that then I should be able to decipher whether it was her or not.

Not the best photo of her, it must be said, but...
https://flic.kr/p/ny8D1U
Marxista Fozzski
(09 Dec 2014, 7:47 pm)Adam wrote Must apologise in advance for the length of the post....

Of course, I dare say, the trains are busier on a weekend compared to weekdays (obviously excluding peak times). Like I said earlier, I'll have to look into the T&Cs to see when the expiry date is and if it's after the Easter holidays.

You're not going to give up with the hints are you haha Tongue (Something completely unrelated but I know it'll make you happy.... My driver on the X25 this morning may have been the one and only Pat Armstrong. What does she look like again?)

Anyway, yeah, I know the Flying Scotsman. 05:40 from EDB, non-stop to NCL leaving at 07:04 and then non-stop to KGX arriving at 09:40ish I think. Never used that particular service before but there's a first for everything. Suppose it gives me more time in the Capital I do get it. Only problem though is that it won't allow me to follow Andreos' suggestion of timing the trains so that I get a breakfast and a brunch/lunch out of it.

I suppose a non-stop service will make the journey seem a heck of a lot quicker. 2 and a half hours is still a large amount of time to keep yourself occupied for.

Spare cash whilst at uni?! What planet are you on Tongue It all goes on other stuff *cough* PARTYING *cough*.

Yeah, I've saw the 07:04 before when I went down to York for a uni open day and it was a Class 91. Shame really but never mind.

The wet stuff that has a percentage on it' bottle Big Grin
(09 Dec 2014, 8:02 pm)Dan wrote Not the best photo of her, it must be said, but...
https://flic.kr/p/ny8D1U

Oh dear. I seemingly have the wrong person as my driver this morning wasn't her in the photo. I'll just go and put myself back in my box Undecided

(09 Dec 2014, 8:06 pm)marxistafozzski wrote The wet stuff that has a percentage on it' bottle Big Grin

Aye, mainly that
@Adam
Weekends, think the 1st Class offer is tea, coffee, juice and sandwiches/cake.

The weekday is a little bit more (inc hot food) and alcohol too.

You could always go North.
The one to Aberdeen from Leeds (8.25 Durham, 8.40is Newcastle) is a HST and you get breakfast on leaving Newcastle. Sandwiches crossing the Forth.
Inverness is always a HST too.
(09 Dec 2014, 9:41 pm)Andreos1 wrote @Adam
Weekends, think the 1st Class offer is tea, coffee, juice and sandwiches/cake.

The weekday is a little bit more (inc hot food) and alcohol too.

You could always go North.
The one to Aberdeen from Leeds (8.25 Durham, 8.40is Newcastle) is a HST and you get breakfast on leaving Newcastle. Sandwiches crossing the Forth.
Inverness is always a HST too.

I didn't realise the offering in First Class was different on a weekend compared to weekdays. Very tempted to go during the week now.

I've been to Aberdeen before for a family wedding, albeit 14 years ago. Never been to Inverness though but it does seem a nice place.

I used the 08:41 when I went to Edinburgh with my Business Class last year. Happily, I was put in charge of the transport for the trip, so deliberately chose the 08:41 as I knew it was an HST with it continuing to Aberdeen Tongue
(09 Dec 2014, 10:32 pm)Adam wrote I didn't realise the offering in First Class was different on a weekend compared to weekdays. Very tempted to go during the week now.

I've been to Aberdeen before for a family wedding, albeit 14 years ago. Never been to Inverness though but it does seem a nice place.

I used the 08:41 when I went to Edinburgh with my Business Class last year. Happily, I was put in charge of the transport for the trip, so deliberately chose the 08:41 as I knew it was an HST with it continuing to Aberdeen Tongue

Yeah, it is very poor on a weekend compared to weekday, that is for sure.
As Citaro5284 mentioned, it is poor on a weekend. It would be a waste of a prize travelling on a weekend in my opinion.

Obviously if you can only go on a weekend, then it can't be helped.