You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Talking of the 20... currently waiting for it on Durham road to park lane and its nearly 5 mins late.. not much but its bloody freezing.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Paint Shop/Branding
Possibly showing my age a bit here, I liked the turn up and go branding used many years ago. As for current branding, I like the Red Kites brand - very eye catching.
(14 Dec 2014, 11:11 am)Tom wrote When the Sunderland changes come into effect, I wonder if the two Solos could go onto the 238?

Interesting shout. One was on the 238 on Thursday actually forgot to note it. I'm not sure where else they could go tbh? Unless one goes over to Consett for the Stanley services but I'm sure they could cope with the two spares they have as they can go off route frequently. 
If they do go on 238 I think they should be repainted though. 
The incident I was referring to was not on the 20/20A route but if there was traffic stretching back far enough it could have had an effect on the 20/20A and East Durham services.

Last Saturday I saw a Cadet arrive in Durham displaying NOT IN SERVICE and left straight away. I think dropping runs on the 20/20A should be avoided especially on the sections where it has only the 20 or 20A to Durham / Sunderland. I think a thing they could do is when they start to bunch up is the late running journey could run light for the rest of the journey indicating passengers that another bus is just behind in a bid to make up time. Another way is there is a sizeable gap and resources are available is to send a bus out of Park Lane on-time to time correct the service.

I almost never use the 20 on a Sunday but I do think the Sunday 20 timetable can be a challenge to get from each end of the route in about an hour especially as it also runs via Doxford on Sundays. On Bank Holidays when a Sunday is used it struggled to keep to the timetable when I used it with 2 service 20s arriving and departing Park Lane together. I don't know if it is always like this but the timetable looks tight.
(14 Dec 2014, 11:11 am)Tom wrote When the Sunderland changes come into effect, I wonder if the two Solos could go onto the 238?

Could do but i doubt it, i think it will be the same as the 38, i don't think they would cope at certain times of the day.

I think the 38/238 will get better buses when changes occur, however i think these will be Cadet or Versa. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Dec 2014, 1:06 pm)Michael wrote Could do but i doubt it, i think it will be the same as the 38, i don't think they would cope at certain times of the day.

I think the 38/238 will get better buses when changes occur, however i think these will be Cadet or Versa. 

The 238 doesn't have great loadings between Houghton and Seaham from when I've seen it, but possibly Cadets would go on?
Not sure whether is justifies bigger buses to be honest though. 
(14 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm)Tom wrote The 238 doesn't have great loadings between Houghton and Seaham from when I've seen it, but possibly Cadets would go on?

I never use the 238, but i think the busiest part of it, at a guess would be between Sunderland and Asda but using anything than the current MPD's could mean its dropped from the East Durham brand.

I do hope we see the 38 branded, with the 238 included in it.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
RE: Paint Shop/Branding
Not a fan of route branding at all.

However... Livery wise, quite like the old Go ahead Gateshead one, with the bluey diagonal line.
It is possible to see on the restored Metrobus, sporting 58/59 route branding.

Also liked the old ExpressLink branding.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm)Tom wrote The 238 doesn't have great loadings between Houghton and Seaham from when I've seen it, but possibly Cadets would go on?

Isn't there an estate in Seaham that requires a minibus?

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(14 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm)gneasy91 wrote ANY ONE KNOW WHICH BUS IT WAS BACK IN 2004 THAT TOP GEAR JAMES AND RICHARD WAS  ON I KNOW IT WAS A SCANIA

It was a Solar. 4964 rings a bell but i dont know why. 
(14 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm)tyresmoke wrote Isn't there an estate in Seaham that requires a minibus?

Yeah I think so - Northlea? 
Site Administrator
Although larger buses have been allocated to service 238 in the past, still serving Northlea...

I'd imagine it's more so a preference to ensure that none of the toute is potentially missed out rather than a requirement. It will be interesting to see what happens with Avenue Vivian when the 35 replaces the 71...
I think the the 35 will follow the 4 route and omit avenue vivian. My experience of running the 71 not many passengers board or alight on avenue vivian although some do board at the stop on sedgeletch road.
Noticed a few offers on the back of tickets recently.

There is/was an offer for Greggs in Gateshead (or Metrocentre - cant remember which one) and on my ticket this morning, there is an offer for free SAFC tickets*

*Must book a Christmas Party at SOS. You also receive a free half bottle of wine per person.
(15 Dec 2014, 7:21 am)nk55 wrote I think the the 35 will follow the 4 route and omit avenue vivian. My experience of running the 71 not many passengers board or alight on avenue vivian although some do board at the stop on sedgeletch road.

Yeah, the stops on Sedgeletch Road and the stops on Lambton Lane, see more use than Avenue Vivian - in both directions.

However, despite issues with parked cars, I think would be a bit of an own goal, if the service was axed around the estate. Unless it is replaced in some way or another.
(15 Dec 2014, 5:53 am)Dan wrote Although larger buses have been allocated to service 238 in the past, still serving Northlea...

I'd imagine it's more so a preference to ensure that none of the toute is potentially missed out rather than a requirement. It will be interesting to see what happens with Avenue Vivian when the 35 replaces the 71...

No, if a larger bus is allocated then it doesn't serve Northlea, or didn't used to. There was a discussion some time ago about why a 8319 (when in centenary livery) on the 238 was serving the whole of Station Road when it should be turning off to serve Northlea. Think it's was citaro5284 or BFK? who confirmed the small buses are needed due to a parked van on Parkland Terrace. Unless this has changed? 

71 is bit different still uses a cadet ATM, whereas Northlea a cadet or versa wouldn't be used. 
(15 Dec 2014, 10:45 am)Dan wrote Merc 5280 and B7TL 6008 in for repaint.

I would imagine these are last ones to be done till after the new year or do u think they can sneak 2 more in before start of next week?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Dec 2014, 11:14 am)Michael wrote I would imagine these are last ones to be done till after the new year or do u think they can sneak 2 more in before start of next week?
Probably still get two done a week, despite it being the Christmas week.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(15 Dec 2014, 11:14 am)Michael wrote I would imagine these are last ones to be done till after the new year or do u think they can sneak 2 more in before start of next week?
Probably still get two done a week, despite it being the Christmas week.
Silver arrows currently running late, driver of the 2C said he was 15mins late, knock on effected for the 2A.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

(15 Dec 2014, 2:22 pm)Dan wrote Probably still get two done a week, despite it being the Christmas week.

i was thinking the same but last year when the cobalt clipper geminis were due only about 4 or 5 left to be delivered but despite its Xmas week i think about 1 or 2 will be done then things will commence in the new year with repaints eg random example 6020
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out