You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(19 Dec 2014, 4:51 pm)Dan wrote First we see Go North East take over two services from Stanley Travel in January (which would have otherwise been withdrawn due to low passenger numbers), and now we see the company operating the QuayLink commercially from July due to Newcastle/Gateshead Council funding cuts.

Quite a commercial risk to operate both of those services - so it's quite an impressive and commendable move indeed.

Is it really a risk? There's obviously money in it or they wouldn't be doing it.
(19 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm)citaro5284 wrote More about Quaylink in Bus and Coach Professional

http://www.busandcoach.com/news/articles...contracts/

It's a shame they've used what is a great thing for Go North East to shout about, to incorrectly push an opinion on Quality Contracts. Quaylink, to my understanding, was jointly funded by Newcastle and Gateshead councils - not by Nexus. This being important, as it came from council tax budgets, rather than the separate ITA levy.

In essence, it's a bit like saying QCS is doomed, because Sunderland Council had to close Crowtree Leisure centre...
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(19 Dec 2014, 7:45 pm)aureolin wrote It's a shame they've used what is a great thing for Go North East to shout about, to incorrectly push an opinion on Quality Contracts. Quaylink, to my understanding, was jointly funded by Newcastle and Gateshead councils - not by Nexus. This being important, as it came from council tax budgets, rather than the separate ITA levy.

In essence, it's a bit like saying QCS is doomed, because Sunderland Council had to close Crowtree Leisure centre...

It was always going to become a political hot potato blame game and you can't blame GNE for spinning this.

It'll come out in the press as council funded service saved by local bus firm. It's rather brilliant spin actually. I sort of applaud them for it.

Though admit it...we all had hopes of a Sprinter Van from GCT running Q1 *cough*
What makes the dig at QCS even more annoying, is the fact Nexus are supporting it via di minimus rules.

The Department for Transport's "Guidance on New De Minimis Rules for Busy Subsidy Contracts" (2004) notes that "The 1985 Transport Act (as amended by the 2000 Transport Act) introduced the provisions which govern the duties of local passenger transport authorities to secure local bus services where these would not otherwise be met. In the majority of cases these services have to be secured through competitive tender. The Service Subsidy Agreements (Tendering) Regulations provided local authorities with the scope to let any individual bus subsidy contract in any one year up to a certain maximum value without the need to competitively tender (the de minimis limits). There was also a maximum value that de minimis contracts could be let with any one operator in any one year."
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(19 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm)gtom wrote Is it really a risk?  There's obviously money in it or they wouldn't be doing it.

Is running the QuayLink commercially a risk? Yes...

Go North East is more-or-less guaranteed to make a profit at the moment, as they based their tender back in 2010 on making a profit. Obviously non-compliant workings will vary each month, but as we discussed for Gateshead Central Taxis/Compass Community Transport a while back, these workings (however frequent they are) should not mean that they are running the contract at a loss.
Obviously Go North East would have identified the current passenger trends and took action based on their research (as is the case with Stanley Travel 706/707), but the revenue they generate from the QuayLink will not be guaranteed...

It's a commercial risk because Go North East doesn't know if passenger trends will change or not. If the frequency of service Q2 is altered to become every 20 minutes instead of every 15, will passenger numbers decrease as walking becomes a more attractive alternative? We don't know. There are a lot of questions that cannot be answered and only predicted...

(19 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote What makes the dig at QCS even more annoying, is the fact Nexus are supporting it via di minimus rules.

Although this is set to reduce gradually so that it is not as much of a commercial risk to Go North East initially? After three years, the QuayLink will be fully commercially operated.

I don't think we know the extent to which Nexus is supporting the QuayLink, do we? This could be anything from a few runs a night to funding POP card use on-board the QuayLink to allow passengers to travel for free?
(19 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm)Dan wrote Is running the QuayLink commercially a risk? Yes...

Go North East is more-or-less guaranteed to make a profit at the moment, as they based their tender back in 2010 on making a profit. Obviously non-compliant workings will vary each month, but as we discussed for Gateshead Central Taxis/Compass Community Transport a while back, these workings (however frequent they are) should not mean that they are running the contract at a loss.

It's a commercial risk because Go North East doesn't know is passenger trends will change or not. If the frequency of service Q2 is altered to become every 20 minutes instead of every 15, will passenger numbers decrease as walking becomes a more attractive alternative? We don't know. There are a lot of questions that cannot be answered and only predicted...

Although this is set to reduce gradually so that it is not as much of a commercial risk to Go North East initially? After three years, the QuayLink will be fully commercially operated.

I don't think we know the extent to which Nexus is supporting the QuayLink, do we? This could be anything from a few runs a night to funding POP card use on-board the QuayLink to allow passengers to travel for free?

I thought both services ran every 10 mintues?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 Dec 2014, 8:28 pm)Michael wrote I thought both services ran every 10 mintues?

Ignore me - I had the number 15 in mind for a possible frequency for the Q1. Tongue 
(19 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm)Dan wrote Ignore me - I had the number 15 in mind for a possible frequency for the Q1. Tongue 

Haha Tongue

I think both would be better on a 15 min frequancy, i also think Sundays frequancy maybe dropped to.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
It obviously just depends how much money GNE are using, to support this commercial venture - on frequencies and Sunday services.

Quite ironic, the article states that Nexus are helping finance a commercial operation, that GNE are more than happy taking their money - whilst denigrating Nexus/QCS in their next breath.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
(20 Dec 2014, 10:08 am)Dan wrote Buses are being diverted in Newcastle from 13:00 today as a result of high traffic levels on normal routes. Might make for some nice photos!
http://www.simplygo.com/news/central-sta...ember-2014

Seems like a desperate token gesture. Not really much they can do about the issues around Central at the moment and taking into account the peak time of the year.

If services like 43/44 etc are affected (and judging by Facebook they are struggling up the route) then surely some short reserve runs (especially if there's no scholars PVR) would make sense. If your losing mileage why not stick in some short runs. We've seen Chester do it with the Angel from Birtley numerous times
GNE not running Quaylink commercially shocker. It's simply a case of it being funded from a different pot. And the three year thing is a red herring given the entire network will be publically run by then!
(20 Dec 2014, 8:07 pm)gtom wrote Seems like a desperate token gesture.  Not really much they can do about the issues around Central at the moment and taking into account the peak time of the year.

If services like 43/44 etc are affected (and judging by Facebook they are struggling up the route) then surely some short reserve runs (especially if there's no scholars PVR) would make sense.  If your losing mileage why not stick in some short runs.  We've seen Chester do it with the Angel from Birtley numerous times

I think it's been a lot busier this year, and the works around Central Station certainly don't help. As much as it seems a token gesture, I guess the actual changes that can be made are limited. I'd assume the rotas for the next week have been long since planned, and it'd be difficult to stick short runs in this late in the day. Though I do admit they serve a purpose.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(20 Dec 2014, 11:11 pm)markydh wrote GNE not running Quaylink commercially shocker. It's simply a case of it being funded from a different pot. And the three year thing is a red herring given the entire network will be publically run by then!
Go North East is running the main QuayLink service commercially. None of us know the extent to which Nexus is assisting the QuayLink, unless someone would like to speak up and clarify this now?

Even the most profitable services such as the Angel have assistance from the likes of Nexus and DCC for a couple of runs a day (primarily on a night time) - are you suggesting that the likes of the Angel aren't commercially operated, too?
The Q3, which is replacing the X40, will be wholly subsidised as it is funded through the Great Park association. The NEXUS funding works the same way it does for Stagecoach's peripheral services in Newcastle such as the 15/15A i.e. part of the route is commercial and part of it is sunsidised. And yes, ANY service which receives public money is not wholly commercial (not counting BSOG). It's an important distinction.
Site Administrator
(21 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm)markydh wrote The Q3, which is replacing the X40, will be wholly subsidised as it is funded through the Great Park association. The NEXUS funding works the same way it does for Stagecoach's peripheral services in Newcastle such as the 15/15A i.e. part of the route is commercial and part of it is sunsidised. And yes, ANY service which receives public money is not wholly commercial (not counting BSOG). It's an important distinction.

Key word in bold!

Very very few services in Tyne & Wear are wholly commercial, as Nexus often contributes funding towards evening/night journeys which wouldn't otherwise operate. Even as enthusiasts, we usually think of these services as commercially operated given that the majority is paid for by the bus operators and they receive the associated profits...
I'd imagine that it will be a similar story for local councils in other counties, and Nexus isn't the only party to do this in the region.

The current Q1/Q2 services, during the daytime, will be fully paid for by Go North East and operated commercially. Go North East therefore controls the frequency of the services during the daytime, and can choose to run these services around their already established network of commercially-operated services, should they choose to. The small amount of funding Nexus will contribute will decrease each year, making this less of an initial commercial risk to Go North East. You are right in suggesting that the new Q3 will not be commercial, although this was fairly obvious given that the X40 is not commercially operated at present.
Seemed to be some problems with the Diamond 43/44 today, possibly because of the footie.

Saw a Diamond enter Durham Bus Station and then went on the next 44 to Newcastle then another Diamond turned up with NOT IN SERVICE on the screen which dropped off the passengers then left the Bus Station.
MPD 524: NA52 AWG has been transferred from Riverside to Percy Main.
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
Two Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents have joined Riverside's Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5281 (NK07 KPR) at Saltmeadows for repaint. These are:
  • 6009 (V209 LGC)
  • 6016 (V816 KGF)
(22 Dec 2014, 11:13 am)Racer_Experience wrote MPD 524: NA52 AWG has been transferred from Riverside to Percy Main.

Really need to get a Photo of 524, and does anyone know what it has been Transferred to Percy Main for.
Sorry if this has been posted before. Boxing day, I'm wanting to get my first pics around GNE territory.
Does anyone know whether it'll be a repeat of last Boxing Day, and if so which services last year were operated by which depot's vehicles please?

I'm tempted to have a drive around the county as I'd expect the buses themselves to be pretty full! Park up in one spot and take some pics I think before moving on.

So far, from pics last year I have gathered:
10A/10B - Citylink Versas and TTX Gemini 2s
X1 - Prince Bishops Scania L94UAs
Blaydon Racers - Crusader Citaros
43/44 - 'Lime' Renowns (mostly Corporate now?)
47 Consett - Waggonway Scania L94UAs
4 - Fast Cats L94UAs?

Sean
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
(22 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm)northern156 wrote Sorry if this has been posted before. Boxing day, I'm wanting to get my first pics around GNE territory.
Does anyone know whether it'll be a repeat of last Boxing Day, and if so which services last year were operated by which depot's vehicles please?

I'm tempted to have a drive around the county as I'd expect the buses themselves to be pretty full! Park up in one spot and take some pics I think before moving on.

4 - Fast Cats L94UAs?

Sean

Service 47 also used the then recently-repainted 4926 and 4927, along with one or two more...? So yeah, Scanias. Smile
(22 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm)northern156 wrote Sorry if this has been posted before. Boxing day, I'm wanting to get my first pics around GNE territory.

4 - Fast Cats L94UAs?

Sean

They will use thier own Gemini's.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.

4 - Fast Cats L94UAs?

Sean

These should mainly be operated by B9TL's from Deptford
(22 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm)citaro5284 wrote These should mainly be operated by B9TL's from Deptford

Are Go North East Operating any Arriva NE Services on Boxing Day this year Citaro5284?
Baring in mind Riverside has opened, all branded routes such as 'TEN' will probably use their standard allocation.
Site Administrator
(22 Dec 2014, 9:40 pm)Malarkey wrote Are Go North East Operating any Arriva NE Services on Boxing Day this year Citaro5284?
No.
Phoenix Coaches are operating the 44/45 and 53, whilst Go North East has gained the 1 which was previously operated by Phoenix on Boxing Day.