You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
(13 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm)Dan wrote There's a reason why Go North East is operating the services now... Because the independents couldn't manage[Image: arrow-10x10.png]!

Exactly, so GNE should be able to manage[Image: arrow-10x10.png] perfectly. I know im kind of going back on a previous point about the Independents being able manage but in a way, Stanley Travel operated the service for at least 5 years. 5 years of free bus passes (going to integrate a question into this: Do the council pay for OAP's or any free bus pass holders fare? I should know the answer to this [yes because my free travel to school is funded for by the council] but i just want somebody elses thought on the subject) to realise that the service is no longer able to be operated well?Ā 
My suggestion for why Stanley Travel couldnt operate the services anymore is the fact that they were using OO03 STX which is essentially a high floor vehicle as the chances of them using the side ramp in the middle of a route being unlikely. Climbing up a step would put me off and probably put them passengers off aswell and this would probably lose custom to GNE anyway. Thats probably the only reason why this particular Independent struggled to manage the service for longer than they did. Hunters is probably the same, all they used was Mercedes Varios.
(13 Jan 2015, 5:37 pm)Robert wrote Exactly, so GNE should be able to manage[Image: arrow-10x10.png] perfectly. I know im kind of going back on a previous point about the Independents being able manage but in a way, Stanley Travel operated the service for at least 5 years. 5 years of free bus passes (going to integrate a question into this: Do the council pay for OAP's or any free bus pass holders fare? I should know the answer to this [yes because my free travel to school is funded for by the council] but i just want somebody elses thought on the subject) to realise that the service is no longer able to be operated well?Ā 
My suggestion for why Stanley Travel couldnt operate the services anymore is the fact that they were using OO03 STX which is essentially a high floor vehicle as the chances of them using the side ramp in the middle of a route being unlikely. Climbing up a step would put me off and probably put them passengers off aswell and this would probably lose custom to GNE anyway. Thats probably the only reason why this particular Independent struggled to manage the service for longer than they did. Hunters is probably the same, all they used was Mercedes Varios.

Not quite sure I understand the scope of your question, so I'll try and give both possible answers. Tongue

Yes. The council reimburse the operator for OAP's or anyone's fare in the ENCTS scheme, with a pass issued by Durham County Council. Its supposed to be on a no better off/worse off basis, but I'd guess operators are worse off than they would have been previously, looking at the decline in services over the year. The amount of reimbursement is worked out as an 'average' fare, which takes into account the range of tickets available, range of fares, etc. Quite a messy system really, and ill-thought out in my opinion.Ā 

For the other answer. If the service is not commercially viable for GNE, then unless there's some other incentive for running the service, then they'll withdraw it over time. It's then up to Durham County Council to decide whether it's vital that they fund a level of secured service for the route. It'll have to be good these days, as the only thing councils seem to be good at, is telling you how skint they are!

HTH
Forum ModeratorĀ |Ā Find NEB on facebook
(13 Jan 2015, 4:22 pm)Robert wrote I could understand it if Stanley Travel or Hunters needed to do this with those not earning anything near as much as a big operator such as Go North East, Arriva or Stagecoach. However, as Go North East have such a large income from other services, that would be more than enough to pay for the service and keep it going. If independents can manage, why cant a large company which is technically better off?Ā 

There will be margins that need taking into account too.

Whilst all of the operators may make a small profit, those smaller independents will be happy taking it.
A larger operator may feel that a small margin isn't worth the hassle.

If you have another large operator on the doorstep, then keeping a low margin service (even one making a loss) is important.
Give an inch and the other operator will take a mile.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Jan 2015, 11:13 am)gtom wrote Or get the faster rail replacement bus hahahaha

I presume that the rail replacement bus will only take passengers who have bought a ticket?

Will there be a 'conductor' selling tickets (as there is no ticket office at Corbridge) - or will the bus drivers sell tickets?

I further presume that passengers will only be allowed off at railway stations - not at places between?

• Corbridge
    Pick up / drop off at the bus stops at the end of Station Approach.

• Riding MillĀ  Pick up / drop off in the station car park.
    • Stocksfield Pick up / drop off in the station car park.
      Wylam Pick up / drop off in the station car park.
      • Prudhoe Pick up / drop off at the bus interchange.
      • Metro Centre Pick up / drop off at the bus stop at the front of the station.
        • Newcastle Pick up / drop off at the front of the station.

Weā€™re sorry but we can't carry dogs or non-folding prams, pushchairs, bikes and wheelchairs on the replacement buses.

Anyone know who is operating the service? I don't think it will be GNE.
(14 Jan 2015, 12:33 pm)G-CPTN wrote I presume that the rail replacement bus will only take passengers who have bought a ticket?

Will there be a 'conductor' selling tickets (as there is no ticket office at Corbridge) - or will the bus drivers sell tickets?

I further presume that passengers will only be allowed off at railway stations - not at places between?

Anyone know who is operating the service? I don't think it will be GNE.

Probably whoever has the National Rail contract. Imagine a local coach operator.

When I worked up there you could buy tickets at the station then board the bus/coach. Drop off depends on accessibility of station. There's a few direct Hexham-Newcastle runs for the football on Saturday night.

Tynedale Travel did one a few years ago, the coach was lovely compared to the Pacers!
(14 Jan 2015, 2:51 pm)gtom wrote There's a few direct Hexham-Newcastle runs for the football on Saturday night.

Yes, the X84/X85 doesn't run late Saturday (Newcastle arr 18:40/ dep 18:50) or all day Sunday (just a couple of positioning runs for the short 74A to Matfen).

They could use the TEN (or the 685).
Site Administrator
(14 Jan 2015, 11:13 am)gtom wrote Or get the faster rail replacement bus hahahaha

How is a journey time of 1 hour 30 minutes faster than the X85 which has a journey time of just 47 minutes? There are very few journeys which take less than that (shortest is the 0610 from Newcastle arriving Hexham at 0700).

Rail replacement bus timetable:Ā http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/trackwo...BR-CAR.pdf
Site Administrator
As reported in the 'Rare & Odd Workings' thread, former "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4954 (NL02 ZRX) has returned to service at Deptford following repaint into a purple base livery ahead of service changes later this month which will see the PVR of "Prince Bishops" services 20/20A increase by 8 vehicles. As shown below, it was allocated to service 61 today, sadly looking a bit scruffy after a day of going to and from Murton!

[Image: 16254411626_60b9c75e38.jpg]Go North East: 4954 / NL02ZRX by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
The hourly fast rail replacement bus takes 65 minutes which isn't too bad via Metrocentre and Prudhoe Station. But yes, the X85 is faster and cheaper. Speaking about X85 I cannot understand why it is the slower X84 which runs from Eldon Square just in front of Arriva/Stagecoach and not the X85. Daft timetabling.
Site Administrator
(14 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm)GregĀ inĀ Weardale wrote The hourly fast rail replacement bus takes 65 minutes which isn't too bad via Metrocentre and Prudhoe Station. But yes, the X85 is faster and cheaper. Speaking about X85 I cannot understand why it is the slower X84 which runs from Eldon Square just in front of Arriva/Stagecoach and not the X85. Daft timetabling.

The slower X84 still picks up the majority of the passengers, leaving the 85/685 with very few...
RE: Lime Replacements

Anyone know if and when Lime will be equipped with New buses (or is the Brand being deleted) - What equipment (if known) will be the replacement and will they still carry cycles.

Guessing the US practice of front mounted cycle carrier wouldn't pass pedestrian safety measures here!

Ā [Image: Picture-6-300x178.png]
Question - why aren't vinyls applied as soon as the vehicle is ready to go back on the road? I can understand if different teams paint and apply vinyls, but surely its better to apply to a dirt free vehicle, as it's still going to have a layer of residue on it, having been through the bus wash or not?
(14 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm)Venturego wrote
Anyone know if and when Lime will be equipped with New buses (or is the Brand being deleted) - What equipment (if known) will be the replacement and will they still carry cycles.Ā 

The Lime will receive new buses at some point this year. As for the cycles, i doubt they will keep that system, it hardly gets used (if it gets used at all). However, i do quite like the slogan 'The Cycle Friendly Bus'. Just has a certain ring to it that i love.
(14 Jan 2015, 6:56 pm)aureolin wrote Question - why aren't vinyls applied as soon as the vehicle is ready to go back on the road? I can understand if different teams paint and apply vinyls, but surely its better to apply to a dirt free vehicle, as it's still going to have a layer of residue on it, having been through the bus wash or not?

Vinyls are applied by an outsider contractor, so I guess they cannot just drop other jobs they have as we have a bus which has just came out of the paint shop. Ā You could argue that we know when a bus has gone into Saltmeadows, so the vinyl fitter can be booked in advance, but the vehicle could have panel damage or corrision which needs to be sorted before it goes for paint, so this can vary the time the bus is at Saltmeadows.

Also, it is quicker to get the bus back to the home depot, to get another one in for repaint, instead of keeping it for an extra day to put the vinyls on.
(14 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)citaro5284 wrote Vinyls are applied by an outsider contractor, so I guess they cannot just drop other jobs they have as we have a bus which has just came out of the paint shop. Ā You could argue that we know when a bus has gone into Saltmeadows, so the vinyl fitter can be booked in advance, but the vehicle could have panel damage or corrision which needs to be sorted before it goes for paint, so this can vary the time the bus is at Saltmeadows.

Also, it is quicker to get the bus back to the home depot, to get another one in for repaint, instead of keeping it for an extra day to put the vinyls on.

Makes sense - cheers SmileĀ I hadn't realised that they were applied by a 3rd party. Thought it was all done in house these days.Ā 
Eddie Stobart do theirs in house (one of the Trucks & Trailers episodes demonstrated how the process worked).
A lot of the smaller companies seem to hire in.
(14 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)citaro5284 wrote Vinyls are applied by an outsider contractor, so I guess they cannot just drop other jobs they have as we have a bus which has just came out of the paint shop. Ā You could argue that we know when a bus has gone into Saltmeadows, so the vinyl fitter can be booked in advance, but the vehicle could have panel damage or corrision which needs to be sorted before it goes for paint, so this can vary the time the bus is at Saltmeadows.

Just touching on the Panel Corrision side of things, could this be the reason for the Paint flaking up on the Citaros and the need to Repaint them 2 Years after they were previously repainted, as I dont recall in previous conversations in relation to the Citaros of this being a possibility until you mentioned it above citaro5284.
(14 Jan 2015, 7:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Eddie Stobart do theirs in house (one of the Trucks & Trailers episodes demonstrated how the process worked).
A lot of the smaller companies seem to hire in.

Stobart use Ast Signs and have done for about 10 years. http://www.astsigns.co.uk/
So it seems.
Certainly wasn't the impression the show gave.

Had a guy in Stobbart uniform, in a Stobbart depot if I remember correctly.
(14 Jan 2015, 8:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote So it seems.
Certainly wasn't the impression the show gave.

Had a guy in Stobbart uniform, in a Stobbart depot if I remember correctly.

Yes, they do it in a part of the maintenance depot at Carlisle, I presume its a full time job with Stobart given the amount of trucks they have and when I was shown how it was done in around 2006, they never did more than 1 truck at once.
(14 Jan 2015, 6:01 pm)Dan wrote As reported in the 'Rare & Odd Workings' thread, former "Fast Cats" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar 4954 (NL02 ZRX) has returned to service at Deptford following repaint into a purple base livery ahead of service changes later this month which will see the PVR of "Prince Bishops" services 20/20A increase by 8 vehicles. As shown below, it was allocated to service 61 today, sadly looking a bit scruffy after a day of going to and from Murton!

[Image: 16254411626_60b9c75e38.jpg]Go North East: 4954 / NL02ZRX by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
could you give me a list of Scanias and Citaros that have been done or are in the process of getting done including the complete ones thanks
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(14 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm)Racer_Experience wrote could you give me a list of Scanias and Citaros that have been done or are in the process of getting done including the complete ones thanks
Why dont you just take a look at the Fleet List by clicking on the link at the top of page, then youll find out for yourself.
(14 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm)Racer_Experience wrote could you give me a list of Scanias and Citaros that have been done or are in the process of getting done including the complete ones thanks

4945, 4946, 4954 painted into purple and 5325 painted into gold.

Another 2 citaro's to go in are 5326 and 5327 which will go into gold as well as the Laser Scania's which will go purple, along with another Scania from Deptford to make up the Prince Bishops fleet.

Dont think the fleet list on here has been updated with the recent repaints Adam.
NEXUS Branding (QCS) Effect on fleet
Has the Nexus branding for the beginning of QCS been finalised yet - I believe 3 designs were suggested in Appendix K of their proposal document?

How many GNE Brands & Which Brands will disappear when this comes into effect

How many buses will move into the Nexus Brand (Tyne & Wear Routes and majority cross border routes into County Durham & Northumberland) i.e. assuming current depots remainĀ 
(14 Jan 2015, 11:52 pm)gneasy91 wrote With the new 35 36 are they still keeping the laser brand are giving it a diffrent name

No it will be different according to Dan, New name hasn't being confirmed but i'm sure its being a few times that it won't keep the laser name.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.