You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions

16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions

Site Administrator
RE: 16/01/15 Downtime: Your suggestions
Last night, we decided to close the forum so that we could work on splitting the threads by month (as a temporary measure) to get rid of large threads which were causing issues with the server load and hence making the forum run at a slower speed than usual.

When trying to achieve this, the entire website went down completely. We have discovered that the bulk of our issues are a wider issue relating to our web host, and we are trying to resolve this issue with our web host now. Whilst we do have some issues with making new threads and quoting which is a NEB-related issue, our main issues stem from the web host having problems.

We are going to split the main "Latest" threads at some point next week using a script in the database. Liam can't do this until he has laptop access, which he thinks will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. This should resolve our issues with quoting etc, but the site going offline altogether cannot be resolved by us. You can check Bihira's server status for 'Mahal' by clicking here - if there are any 'No Entry' signs, this means that the website will not be working. You can also check the UK-Buses website, which runs off the same web host, to verify that it is not just a NEB-related issue.
I have a window open that is trying to upload a reply to the GNE rare and odd thread - it is just 'cycling'.

It has gone through now, but this reply is doing the same.
Marxista Fozzski
I cant reply on my browser...

Some kind of timeout message and tapatalk takes at least 2 minutes to reply to a post...

Just wondering will the forum be completely overhauled with a new look or will improvements just be splitting/archive old posts?
@MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

The delay in pulling up a new thread or posting to an existing thread are what we're expecting users to have the biggest issue with too. It's a pain in the backside, but we hope the thread splitting activity will resolve the issue completely.

It won't be necessary to overhaul the forum with a new look, as the design (how the forum looks) is completely separate as to what is going on in the background.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Marxista Fozzski
(18 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm)aureolin wrote @MrFozz - We're aware of MyBB time out messages, which we believe are related to the database issue.

The delay in pulling up a new thread or posting to an existing thread are what we're expecting users to have the biggest issue with too. It's a pain in the backside, but we hope the thread splitting activity will resolve the issue completely.

It won't be necessary to overhaul the forum with a new look, as the design (how the forum looks) is completely separate as to what is going on in the background.

Thanks for the explanation mate...

Certainly is a pain in the derrière, It is peeing me off now, but at least I am able to access albeit very slow...keep up the good work fellas
"MyBB SQL Error
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1040 - Too many connections
Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server
Please contact the MyBB Group for technical support."

Also had an Internal Server Error and 404 Not Found as well.
Site Administrator
Server load shot up to the mid-50s again, which was why the website has just gone down for the second time within the hour.

I've sent an e-mail to Bihira, and I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.
Site Administrator
Bihira have replied, and they have told me that they were working on the servers to prevent high server loads.

The site itself does seem to be running a bit faster this morning, although we're still not completely happy with it. Liam and I intend to split the main operator topics by month as a temporary measure to see if this helps things. It's definitely the easiest way for us to get rid of the massive 18,000 post thread at the moment. We'll sort it similar to how Andreos suggested on Page 1 of this thread. If you guys like it, we can keep it. If you don't, we'll work on splitting it by topic.

If you notice the main operator threads disappearing from the board today - it's just us restricting access so that we can split them.
Site Administrator
We've now split all of the 'Go North East - Latest' threads by month, and they're in a special part of the forum only accessible by forum mod/admins.

Despite doing all of this, quoting still poses a challenge... Back to the drawing board - as it doesn't seem to be a NEB-related issue at all!
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm)Dan wrote Thoughts and opinions on the Go North East section of the forum?
Looking good Mr G...

Im future will postings go in the relevant sub boards, or are they there just as yhe archive???
Site Administrator
(20 Jan 2015, 3:29 pm)MrFozz wrote Looking good Mr G...

Im future will postings go in the relevant sub boards, or are they there just as yhe archive???
I should note that we are going to split the Rare and Odd Workings threads for each of the big three, too.

Basically, as soon as the calendar month ends, the 'January 2015' thread will be unstickied and closed, and a 'February 2015' thread will be created and stickied so it appears at the top and sectioned off a little. So the 'normal' threads are achived to a degree.

This is assuming that everyone is fine with what we've done, of course. We had to split the threads as a number one priority to fix any possible issues on our side, and it was far easier to split them monthly rather than by topics at that point. There is no reason why they can't be split manually into topics now, but if everyone is fine with what we've achieved already, then we needn't go any further.
Marxista Fozzski
It is looking good fella...

The forum also seems to be a bit quicker today, I am having no problem quoting atm and threads seem to open relatively quick
Site Administrator
(20 Jan 2015, 3:43 pm)MrFozz wrote It is looking good fella...

The forum also seems to be a bit quicker today, I am having no problem quoting atm and threads seem to open relatively quick
Thanks... Liam did most of the work via the forum database, so I can't take credit for it all!

What's odd is that Tapatalk is quoting fine, but the desktop version of the forum still won't work properly.
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Jan 2015, 3:47 pm)Dan wrote Thanks... Liam did most of the work via the forum database, so I can't take credit for it all!

What's odd is that Tapatalk is quoting fine, but the desktop version of the forum still won't work properly.

I almost always use tapatalk, very rarely use the desktop version, so can only comment on Tapatalk...

Big hand to Liam as well
Site Administrator
Still a substantial amount of users who do post via the desktop version, so we need to stamp out these quoting issues! 'Quick Reply' is great and all, but not ideal as anything other than a workaround.

I've gone begging for help on the myBB Community Forums again... Tongue
Site Administrator
(20 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm)Dan wrote Still a substantial amount of users who do post via the desktop version, so we need to stamp out these quoting issues! 'Quick Reply' is great and all, but not ideal as anything other than a workaround.

I've gone begging for help on the myBB Community Forums again... Tongue

Quoting and editing appears to be working fine this morning! Taking a few seconds to load, but I can tolerate that...
Marxista Fozzski
(21 Jan 2015, 7:45 am)Dan wrote Quoting and editing appears to be working fine this morning! Taking a few seconds to load, but I can tolerate that...
Being a bit slow doesn't bother me anymore...I have that much shite on my phone and tablet I have become accustomed to things going slow Big Grin
(20 Jan 2015, 3:39 pm)Dan wrote I should note that we are going to split the Rare and Odd Workings threads for each of the big three, too.

Basically, as soon as the calendar month ends, the 'January 2015' thread will be unstickied and closed, and a 'February 2015' thread will be created and stickied so it appears at the top and sectioned off a little. So the 'normal' threads are achived to a degree.

This is assuming that everyone is fine with what we've done, of course. We had to split the threads as a number one priority to fix any possible issues on our side, and it was far easier to split them monthly rather than by topics at that point. There is no reason why they can't be split manually into topics now, but if everyone is fine with what we've achieved already, then we needn't go any further.

Just wondering if the glue has come off, as the GNE latest January thread seems not to be 'stickied' anymore?
Site Administrator
(22 Jan 2015, 8:23 pm)citaro5284 wrote Just wondering if the glue has come off, as the GNE latest January thread seems not to be 'stickied' anymore?

I'm not sure about this, citaro5284!

I certainly didn't unsticky it and didn't intend on doing so until February 1st. Will put more glue on now, and hopefully it'll not come off again this time until it's due to do so!