You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015
(24 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote No, I was told I could drive a bendy on my ordinary PCV licence. It's one unit, not vehicle and trailer.

That is correct, you can drive it on an ordinary licence., just any drivers had to have a days course at the driving school on how to handle them, like reversing for instance.  Artic drivers have always had higher rates of pay, and I think they did in London as well.

There was a reason why when we first got them back in 2001, but can the hell of me remember why. 
(24 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote No, I was told I could drive a bendy on my ordinary PCV licence. It's one unit, not vehicle and trailer.

Indeed true, seems you only need a category D to drive a bendy because its not a trailer.
Bendys can be driven on an ordinary PCV licence. Go North East staff had to do a course on bendy bus driving, but as an add-on rather than an upgrade of the licence.

Not even sure why they paid more, I just took the money Wink
(24 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm)jeffman wrote Bendys can be driven on an ordinary PCV licence. Go North East staff had to do a course on bendy bus driving, but as an add-on rather than an upgrade of the licence.

Not even sure why they paid more, I just took the money Wink

Do you still drive the bendys on the X66? - just wondering...
(24 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I've spotted this blind on 5276 - it's a bit odd and never seen it before.
ELD V5.01 (X1.06) #3 160x19 C:
Anyone know what it is?

its the mystery tour bus, only if you can solve the mystery code will you know where it is going Cool
(24 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote I've spotted this blind on 5276 - it's a bit odd and never seen it before.
ELD V5.01 (X1.06) #3 160x19 C:
Anyone know what it is?

It is in sign test mode.  the letters are as follows:

V5.01 - Version of software
X1.06 - Version of super x software
#3 - switch setting that the blind is set to
160x19 - The size of the blind - In this case, 160 LED's across by 19 LED's down
(24 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm)Nicholas Perry wrote its the mystery tour bus, only if you can solve the mystery code will you know where it is going Cool

I've cracked it... 49B to Winlaton Tongue
X66: What was on today?

5339 - X66 branded
5341 - X66 branded
5347 - X66 branded
5379 - CityLink branded
5389 - Corporate branded

Buses withdrawn
5348 - X66 branded
4950 - X40 branded
4952 - X40 branded
4953 - X40 branded
Site Administrator
(24 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote X66: What was on today?

5339 - X66 branded
5341 - X66 branded
5347 - X66 branded
5379 - CityLink branded
5389 - Corporate branded

Buses withdrawn
5348 - X66 branded
4950 - X40 branded
4952 - X40 branded
4953 - X40 branded

I'm not sure what you mean?

You'll find out tomorrow which buses have been withdrawn.
(24 Jan 2015, 5:04 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I've always thought of Chester as having the most female drivers for some reason haha, probably because I just like it so much! Tongue

I imagine there is double or triple that amount at Riverside though, I know I regularly see one woman always on the Q1/Q2.

one of my friends used to work at Chester-le-Street depot now she no longer works for GNE next time i will be visiting her will be early February how i met her was December 2012 since then she has helped me through a lot and as a reward I even get gifts for special occasions like Birthdays etc me and her always have a laugh when we see each other last time i saw her something really epic happned to me while on X21 6024 my cousin became a papa while i was heading for Newcastle to catch my 27 home

there is a lot of female drivers at Riverside and Saltmeadows i have had a few driving my beloved 27 or 27X a few times and i enjoyed the ride
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(24 Jan 2015, 10:35 am)citaro5284 wrote Are you sure?

Yes I'm sure... we lost mileage on a daily basis last week. And again today. 571, 572 and 6019 all broke down at Bishop today
(24 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)pdiddy wrote Yes I'm sure... we lost mileage on a daily basis last week. And again today. 571, 572 and 6019 all broke down at Bishop today

No, I meant are you sure GNE are getting 30 vehicles from London.
(24 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)Racer_Experience wrote one of my friends used to work at Chester-le-Street depot now she no longer works for GNE next time i will be visiting her will be early February how i met her was December 2012 since then she has helped me through a lot and as a reward I even get gifts for special occasions like Birthdays etc me and her always have a laugh when we see each other last time i saw her something really epic happned to me while on X21 6024 my cousin became a papa while i was heading for Newcastle to catch my 27 home

there is a lot of female drivers at Riverside and Saltmeadows i have had a few driving my beloved 27 or 27X a few times and i enjoyed the ride

I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.
Site Administrator
(24 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)pdiddy wrote Yes I'm sure... we lost mileage on a daily basis last week. And again today. 571, 572 and 6019 all broke down at Bishop today

I think the 'Are you sure?' was more so in relation to the thirty second-hand Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini vehicles from London, rather than the loss of mileage...

Can I point out that this rumour has gone around each and every single year, since the arrival of the Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President and East Lancs Vyking vehicles?
(24 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm)Dan wrote I think the 'Are you sure?' was more so in relation to the thirty second-hand Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini vehicles from London, rather than the loss of mileage...

Can I point out that this rumour has gone around each and every single year, since the arrival of the Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President and East Lancs Vyking vehicles?

It's out and about every time London gets new buses..... 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Anything that's been in London probably hasn't been over 20mph! Tongue

That's why the Vyking's are terrible  Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Anything that's been in London probably hasn't been over 20mph! Tongue

And that is the problem, they come up here and they cannot cope!
(24 Jan 2015, 7:27 pm)Michael wrote That's why the Vyking's are terrible  Tongue

(24 Jan 2015, 7:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote And that is the problem, they come up here and they cannot cope!

@Michael - Vykings are alright for short hops, don't know if I could do Bishop-Newcastle on one on the X21 like.

@citaro5284 - I guess the Volvo Presidents aren't as bad as the Vykings, I've always been fond of them for some reason. Smile I didn't ride many Palatine 1s during my early days as a solo enthusiast, but I gather they managed okay. They were built to last forever, at the end of the day! Wink
(24 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote @Michael - Vykings are alright for short hops, don't know if I could do Bishop-Newcastle on one on the X21 like.

@citaro5284 - I guess the Volvo Presidents aren't as bad as the Vykings, I've always been fond of them for some reason. Smile I didn't ride many Palatine 1s during my early days as a solo enthusiast, but I gather they managed okay. They were built to last forever, at the end of the day! Wink

Last time I rode a Vyking on the X20 Sunderland - Durham it struggled up any slight hill.

Although I had 6020 on the X20 the other night and it has been the best President I've been on in a while, helped that it was late and there was time to make up.
(24 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm)Dan wrote I'm not sure what you mean?

You'll find out tomorrow which buses have been withdrawn.

Whoops, another confusing post from me.

The buses withdrawn part are the bendys that are parked at Riverside
And the X66 part is what was on today. Shouldn't have put both of them in the same post lol
(24 Jan 2015, 6:05 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Do you still drive the bendys on the X66? - just wondering...

No not for a long time, and looks like I never will again. Not the nicest things to drive, a lot more 'tail happy' than a rigid bus.
(24 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm)Racer_Experience wrote one of my friends used to work at Chester-le-Street depot now she no longer works for GNE next time i will be visiting her will be early February how i met her was December 2012 since then she has helped me through a lot and as a reward I even get gifts for special occasions like Birthdays etc me and her always have a laugh when we see each other last time i saw her something really epic happned to me while on X21 6024 my cousin became a papa while i was heading for Newcastle to catch my 27 home

GNE seem to have been recruiting a lot of female drivers over the past few years, and it's something they should be given a lot of credit for. It's not easy in what is traditionally a male dominated industry.

(24 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote @Michael - Vykings are alright for short hops, don't know if I could do Bishop-Newcastle on one on the X21 like.

The Vykings themselves can't manage Bishop-Newcastle. I remember when they were on the 21, and they'd practically scream the whole journey.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
I agree, even though i've not had a great deal of driving those dual door buses, they're not great. V reg B7s are alot better but showing their age.
Chesters B7s are erm....weathered

Saying that the non hybrid Geminis are tatty as hell and rather rough sounding too
Wonder how long it will take GNE to update its site and change the brands around... such as putting the 2/2A in to simplicity, removing the Silver Arrows tab etc

Edit: Laser brand has now being removed, rest should follow!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
The revised weekday allocations at Deptford Depot are given on this news article.

Similarly, the transfers and withdrawals as a result of the service changes which are operational from today are given in this news article. These movements are all now complete - a number of vehicles moved yesterday, and the remainder were done this morning.