Menu

Pages (159)    158 59 60159   
Tom   05 Feb 2015, 8:43 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 8:38 pm)Michael wrote I'm not sure on how well it does between Asda and Jarrow... maybe citaro could give us an idea of how the 9 does overall?

Iv'e noticed some run quite late.

Not bad, but not good from my experience.

I think a 15 minute frequency could work between Sunderland and Boldon Asda, but 30 minutes between Boldon Asda and North Shields. Something needs to be done to improve reliability. I'll try and come up with a timetable.
Michael   05 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Not bad, but not good from my experience.

I think a 15 minute frequency could work between Sunderland and Boldon Asda, but 30 minutes between Boldon Asda and North Shields. Something needs to be done to improve reliability. I'll try and come up with a timetable.
Forgot to add that, i'm not sure how well it also does from Jarrow to North Shields also.
Maybe just change it back to every 30 minutes, full route?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Tom   05 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm)Michael wrote Forgot to add that, i'm not sure how well it also does from Jarrow to North Shields also.
Maybe just change it back to every 30 minutes, full route?

Jarrow to North Shields is terrible. Not many passengers at all.

Yeah possibly. 
Michael   05 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm)Tom wrote Jarrow to North Shields is terrible. Not many passengers at all.

Yeah possibly. 

Hmm that's not good Undecided, like i saod before maybe citaro could let us know how well it does.... only of course, if he wants to and hes aloud Smile

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   05 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)Michael wrote Hmm that's not good Undecided, like i saod before maybe citaro could let us know how well it does.... only of course, if he wants to and hes aloud Smile

It's secured by Nexus from Jarrow to North Shields, so that says a lot...
Michael   05 Feb 2015, 9:27 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)Tom wrote It's secured by Nexus from Jarrow to North Shields, so that says a lot...

Learn something new everyday... ye it does like, maybe they could re-route one of them somewhere else.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
omnicity4659   06 Feb 2015, 11:45 am
Did the 9 run hourly between Jarrow and North Shields before the January changes?

Just because I got a bit of a surprise when my 27 was running late (the 9 would be sat there when the 27 arrived before changes) and arrived at Jarrow to see a bus due in 10 minutes and half-hourly frequency Undecided
Dan   06 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 11:45 am)Tommy_1581 wrote Did the 9 run hourly between Jarrow and North Shields before the January changes?

Just because I got a bit of a surprise when my 27 was running late (the 9 would be sat there when the 27 arrived before changes) and arrived at Jarrow to see a bus due in 10 minutes and half-hourly frequency  Undecided

Service 9 was not affected by the recent service revisions in Sunderland.

The services between Sunderland and Boldon were revised as a result of the North Sunderland consultation held in October 2013. You can see full details here, but I'll also sum them up on this post for your benefit:
  • Service 9 was proposed to be increased in frequency from 30 minutes to 15 minutes, acting as a replacement for service X3 which was proposed to be withdrawn.
  • Service X36 was also proposed to be increased in frequency from 60 minutes to 30 minutes, again, acting as a replacement for service X3 which was proposed to be withdrawn, but also acting as a replacement for services 36/36A which were proposed to be withdrawn.
  • Service 26 was proposed to be increased in frequency from 30 minutes to 20 minutes, acting as a replacement for services 36/36A which were proposed to be withdrawn. Service 26 was also proposed to be extended to Doxford Park from Park Lane, additionally being re-numbered service 29, acting as a replacement for the short 39 services which were introduced between Sunderland and Doxford Park. This was so that Go North East could continue to provide a 10-minute frequency between Sunderland and Doxford Park.
Service X3 was not in fact withdrawn, but all of the above service changes commenced. Service X3 instead operated around scholars services and was allocated a double-decked vehicle as a result. It provided a limited number of express journeys between Monkwearmouth and Newcastle.

The Sunderland - North Shields runs are operated by Percy Main Depot and should be allocated four OmniCitys. The Sunderland - Jarrow runs are operated by Deptford Depot and should be allocated three Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents. The latter must be operated by double-decked vehicles on weekdays as it interworks with scholars services; hence, buses begin to drop out from 15:00 onwards upon arrival at Jarrow. 
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   06 Feb 2015, 6:46 pm
(05 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm)Tom wrote I wouldn't advise doing the whole 9 route, especially as it'll be a dual door renown more than likely.
The 310 route is quite rough around Meadowell too. 

Go on Marcus....live life on the edge  Big Grin
R852 PRG   06 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:46 pm)citaro5284 wrote Go on Marcus....live life on the edge  Big Grin

I think I will. Wink
Tom   06 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I think I will. Wink

Instead of the 310 straight to Newcastle, maybe you should get a 17 to Whitley Bay and a 309 to Blyth, the one of the Arriva services back to Haymarket?
citaro5284   06 Feb 2015, 6:52 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm)Tom wrote Instead of the 310 straight to Newcastle, maybe you should get a 17 to Whitley Bay and a 309 to Blyth, the one of the Arriva services back to Haymarket?

By mind Tom, you are trying your hardest to get Marcus onto an Arriva bus, first the 306 and now from Blyth on a MAX  Tongue
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:52 pm)citaro5284 wrote By mind Tom, you are trying your hardest to get Marcus onto an Arriva bus, first the 306 and now from Blyth on a MAX  Tongue

The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink
Tom   06 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink

I doubt it?
There are about 10+ buses a hour from Blyth!
Dan   06 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink

W'hey, you've got power sockets on the 309 as well..!
R852 PRG   06 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm)Dan wrote W'hey, you've got power sockets on the 309 as well..!

Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   06 Feb 2015, 7:07 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided

Usually it's gtom crying when a B7 turns up instead of a Hybrid.
Tom   06 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided

Maybe something like this:

#36 - My House to Houghton
(09:50 --- 10:14)
#20A - Houghton to Sunderland
(10:16 --- 10:42)
#9 - Sunderland to North Shields
(10:49 --- 11:44)
#17 -  North Shields to Whitley Bay
(11:47 --- 12:10)
#309 - Whitley Bay to Blyth
(12:22 --- 12:44)
#X4 - Blyth to Newcastle
(12:50 --- 1345)
Dan   06 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm)Tom wrote Maybe something like this:

#36 - My House to Houghton
(09:50 --- 10:14)
#20A - Houghton to Sunderland
(10:16 --- 10:42)
#9 - Sunderland to North Shields
(10:49 --- 11:44)
#17 -  North Shields to Whitley Bay
(11:47 --- 12:10)
#309 - Whitley Bay to Blyth
(12:22 --- 12:44)
#X4 - Blyth to Newcastle
(12:50 --- 1345)

Connections are awfully tight.

Might it be worth staying on the 36 all the way to Town End Farm (if Marcus could actually endure such a long journey), hopping off, waiting for 15 minutes for the next 35 to Boldon (photographing any Stagecoach buses in the area), then getting on a 9 to North Shields from there? If it's a Jarrow short - even better - jump on that then have some time for photos at Jarrow.
R852 PRG   06 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan wrote Connections are awfully tight.

Might it be worth staying on the 36 all the way to Town End Farm (if Marcus could actually endure such a long journey), hopping off, waiting for 15 minutes for the next 35 to Boldon (photographing any Stagecoach buses in the area), then getting on a 9 to North Shields from there? If it's a Jarrow short - even better - jump on that then have some time for photos at Jarrow.

Members of the Green family are a lot stronger than you think, GRAHAM! Tongue Tongue

I don't think I could last that long on a Merc judging by 5306 and 5308, which I had previously on the 36 and couldn't stand. However, anything rare or odd and I could happily last an hour and a bit. Wink

Anyway, I normally plan my day and it never follows the exact thing. I'll plan a 10 from Newcastle to the MetroCentre and wind up using a Toon Link or Diamond or something lol. I'll see how things end up during the adventure.

Thanks all for your suggestions though! Big Grin
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom   06 Feb 2015, 8:10 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Members of rt ge the Green family are a lot stronger than you think, GRAHAM! Tongue Tongue

I don't think I could last that long on a Merc judging by 5306 and 5308, which I had previously on the 36 and couldn't stand. However, anything rare or odd and I could happily last an hour and a bit. Wink

Anyway, I normally plan my day and it never follows the exact thing. I'll plan a 10 from Newcastle to the MetroCentre and wind up using a Toon Link or Diamond or something lol. I'll see how things end up during the adventure.

Thanks all for your suggestions though! Big Grin

Aye I wouldnt imagine the whole route would be nice.

Maybe you should just do it to Sunderland, get a X36 to Boldon, then a 9 to Shields?
MrFozz   06 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan wrote Connections are awfully tight.

I would not get off a bus in Town End Farm for a kings ransom, the whole of that Area (Downhill, Red House incl.) Looks rough
Dan   06 Feb 2015, 8:25 pm
(06 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm)MrFozz wrote I would not get off a bus in Town End Farm for a kings ransom, the whole of that Area (Downhill, Red House incl.) Looks rough

Haha.. fair point.

First and last time:
[Image: 9014239222_c99b81e4df.jpg]Exterior shot of Go North East's 8321, Optare Versa V1110/Optare Versa by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
Dan   07 Feb 2015, 8:21 am
Well, I'm going to have a big day today. Already at the Metro station heading to Newcastle - been quite a while since I've had a big one so time to make up for it!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   07 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm
(07 Feb 2015, 8:21 am)Dan wrote Well, I'm going to have a big day today. Already at the Metro station heading to Newcastle - been quite a while since I've had a big one so time to make up for it!

Did it arrive on time?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   07 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm
(07 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm)Michael wrote Did it arrive on time?
Aye - surprisingly!
Didn't get to Newcastle on-time. Not sure why but it stopped at almost every signal. Wasn't a freight train due in front of it or anything.
Michael   07 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm
(07 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm)Dan wrote Aye - surprisingly!
Didn't get to Newcastle on-time. Not sure why but it stopped at almost every signal. Wasn't a freight train due in front of it or anything.

=0, well that's just typical, its on time but you arrive late! haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
R852 PRG   07 Feb 2015, 4:11 pm
My outing from today on a Get Around day ticket;

#36 - Riverside Cricket Ground to Houghton-le-Spring Church - (09:51 --- 10:13) - GNE 5303 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
I put £4 on the tray, expecting a nice fresh Get Around ticket that looked perfect. I got something with barely any ink on it. As the driver handed me my change, I told him I could barely see the date on it. (This would never be a problem with a single journey, but I could be using this ticket on dozens of buses throughout the day). He sighed and just looked at me. God, I don't know what it is with these Deptford drivers but they've come to Chester-le-Street with an attitude I really don't like. They're in unfamiliar territory, in Park Lane I could understand, but it's really getting on my nerves. My 3rd journey on the 36 service, and it's twice I've gotten on feeling irritated at the attitude of the driver...nonetheless, with a terrible ticket in my hand I sat down and enjoyed the journey on 5303. Much better than 5306 or 5308. 

#20A - Houghton-le-Spring Church to Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange - (10:16 --- 10:43) - GNE 5212 - Scania L94UA/Wright Solar
I boarded this with my bad ticket. The driver had to look at it for about 5 seconds more than usual, as he could barely see the date. But he was a rather pleasant old guy, unlike the one in 5303...5212 was actually really nice between Houghton and then as we got within sight of Park Lane, it started to sound rough as anything. Engine screaming, the lot! I was glad to get off in the end, but overall it was a pleasant journey I had in this PB Scania.

#9 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to North Shields Town Centre - (10:49 --- 11:55) - GNE 5247 - Scania CN230UB/Scania OmniCity
Was pleasantly surprised by an OmniCity showing up on the 9, as they seem rather rare. Did see 5249 on too while we headed to North Shields, along with 6008 and 6039 on the shorts to Jarrow. The ride quality itself was absolutely brilliant, I couldn't fault it! I sank into my seat for the whole of the very quiet journey and not a complaint was made...in terms of comfort. But, we had the slowest goddamn driver alive!! He was terrible - surprised he wasn't pulled over for going too slow! We must have lost about 10 minutes of time because of his speed...

#310 - North Shields Town Centre to Newcastle, Haymarket Bus Station - (12:04 --- 12:50) - GNE 6103 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2 
I had seen 6103 waiting to depart when I got off 5247, but it was 6116 and I wanted a proper Cobalt Wink. No sooner had 6116 departed at 11:56, 6103 rolled round the corner at 11:58. I stood at the stop for a minute after the loads had left, and I saw the driver sitting in his cab doing nothing. I assumed he was staying on. I get on - 'GET OFF!, WE'RE CHANGING DRIVERS!'. He hadn't looked like he had been getting off, and there was no other driver present, he was just sitting there doing nothing...absolute shithead. I just naturally said 'oh, sorry', like I had been raised to do - but I should have told him to do something. He pissed off to his van back to Percy Main (I assume!) and at 12:02 the next driver turned up. He was much nicer than the old twat I'd just seen, and I sat upstairs at the front. I can't fault the condition of these Cobalt B9s - granted, this is my first journey on one, and that may seem a bit cocky of me to say that, but unless 6103 is special - then these buses are fantastic. Not a rattle or squeak I could hear!

#45 - Newcastle, Eldon Square to MetroCentre Interchange - (12:56 --- 13:20) - GNE 3823 - Volvo Olympian/NC Palatine 2
This was what made my day! Saw an Olympian waiting on the 45 when I arrived into Haymarket on the 310, and went for it. Again, like on 5212, the driver couldn't read the ticket, and needed to take it off me to check the date...possibly because she was woman. Lol no just kidding, I like women drivers Tongue. I told her I had bought it this morning, and that the ticket was really messed up. We had a bit of a laugh about it and she genuinely lovely. I sat at the front upstairs for the whole of the rather short journey. It was most enjoyable.

#X66 - MetroCentre Interchange to Gateshead Interchange - (13:28 --- 13:38) - GNE 4918 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
After going over for some photos in the coach park, I hopped on 4918 to Gateshead. Again, the driver struggled to read the date on the ticket, and at first thought I was showing him a Buzzfare of some sort! That ticket machine on 5303 was starting to affect my day...but overall 4918 had all the great qualities and sounds of a Renown! Smile

#21 - Gateshead Interchange to Chester-le-Street - (13:42 --- 14:10) - GNE 6061 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
I had a driver I knew very well, Paul. A lovely chap. Always smiling and friendly, does a lot of overtime so I seem him more regularly than others. Not only is he a safe driver, he is absolutely great the controls and can make a 30-odd minute journey go easily. Maybe the fact that hardly anyone was getting on may have had an effect on how fast we got to Chester, but 6061 was lovely to ride on this occasion - and seeing Paul again managed to change the way driver's attitudes had been throughout the day and put me back in a good mood. If you ever need a good driver - come to Chester! Big Grin

#36 - Chester-le-Street to Riverside Cricket Ground - (14:14 --- 14:20) - GNE 5299 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Right, another Deptford bus and driver in Chester-le-Street - let's have a look. I get on and show him my Key card and my Get Around - and he can't even read the text at all! He was looking at me like I was showing him a blank ticket! Not a smile or a facial expression, he just got closer to it then nodded. At least he didn't sigh or anything...so I just took my seat on 5299. Now, this bus was just fantastic. Smoothest Merc I'd had on the 36 so far, my seat was lovely and warm and the bus didn't rattle whatsoever. When it got to my stop (now given a name rather than 'My House' Big Grin) I thanked the driver, and he didn't even look at me... Sad I know it's not in the driver's priorities, but surely at least looking at your customer should be a big point made by Customer Services. I'm just going to make it 2-2, I've had 2 rather rude or clumsy drivers and 2 who haven't really done anything. When I get an exceptional Deptford driver in CLS, I'll let you all know!

I did enjoy my day on the whole, and I hope you enjoyed reading!  Smile
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
omnicity4659   07 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm
(07 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm)Dan wrote Aye - surprisingly!

The NMT (43013, 43014) was prancing across the North East today, it arrived at Newcastle at about the same time as you
Tom   07 Feb 2015, 6:17 pm

Looks like a good day Marcus!
Your lucky it wasn't a B10BLE on the 9.
Pages (159)    158 59 60159