You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2015

Site Administrator
RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - February 2015
Forgot to note yesterday - was quite surprised to see a training coach on Newcastle Road in Sunderland (coming from the Newcastle direction heading into the city). Not sure which depot it belonged to or was working on behalf of, but it had a working LED destination if that narrows it down!
(06 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm)Dan wrote Forgot to note yesterday - was quite surprised to see a training coach on Newcastle Road in Sunderland (coming from the Newcastle direction heading into the city). Not sure which depot it belonged to or was working on behalf of, but it had a working LED destination if that narrows it down!

All 4 Training Coaches have working LEDs
(06 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm)Dan wrote Forgot to note yesterday - was quite surprised to see a training coach on Newcastle Road in Sunderland (coming from the Newcastle direction heading into the city). Not sure which depot it belonged to or was working on behalf of, but it had a working LED destination if that narrows it down!

I'll help narrow it further down.  It was either 90 or 92 as I had 91 in East Cleveland and 93 was also plodding around the teesside East Cleveland area.  This might sound stupid but what did it have on the destination screen 
Site Administrator
(06 Feb 2015, 5:29 pm)Multi21 wrote I'll help narrow it further down.  It was either 90 or 92 as I had 93 in East Cleveland and 91 was VOR for the day due to faulty headlights..  This might sound stupid but what did it have on the destination screen 

It was from a distance, but appeared to be the "go on, get on" message.
(06 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm)Dan wrote It was from a distance, but appeared to be the "go on, get on" message.

It was Ashingtons (1207) 9990 as 92 has Arriva North East Training Department on for the last 2 weeks
Site Administrator
(06 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm)Multi21 wrote It was Ashingtons (1207) 9990 as 92 has Arriva North East Training Department on for the last 2 weeks

Well I'm surprised we managed to narrow it down! Tongue 

Cheers.
(06 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm)Dan wrote Well I'm surprised we managed to narrow it down! Tongue 

Cheers.

Helps when someone's in the driving school like :') 
(06 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm)Dan wrote It was from a distance, but appeared to be the "go on, get on" message.

I wouldn't bother trying!
I've given up on the X15 and X18 allocations now. Having a bus on the route its actually branded for is rarer than it being somewhere else. Or at least it feels like it.

On Thursday 7511 was on the X18 and 7520 was on the X15. God help them come 24th May when they're adding more bus(es) to the X18 for the summer, especially if they're going to try and manage with the buses they already have.
Site Administrator
1311 is on the next 46 (I think) into Haymarket, and a 52/53 branded Volvo B10BLE is on the 40-odd series too.
Site Administrator
Spare MAX 7609 is on X10/X11 today - currently at Regent Centre heading to Newcastle.
Site Administrator
(07 Feb 2015, 10:14 am)Dan wrote Quorum 1402 on 1
1773 likewise.
Site Administrator
Meanwhile MAX 7625 is on the Quorum Express.
Site Administrator
Hybrid 7803 also on the Quorum Express.

Commander 1401 also on the 1.
Site Administrator
Has now been replaced by 1502 which has come off the X13.
(07 Feb 2015, 4:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote ALX400 7474 (I think!) was on Whitley Bay 306s. Passed it coming into Newcastle on a GNE Cobalt at around 13:45ish.

It was 7474 I saw it while on 1311 on the 43.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(07 Feb 2015, 9:14 am)Dan wrote Spare MAX 7609 is on X10/X11 today - currently at Regent Centre heading to Newcastle.

Begs the question where the "usual" MAX is? Surely it's not "in for a service"? Big Grin
(07 Feb 2015, 12:16 pm)mb134 wrote X18 branded 7530 was on the X15.

Meanwhile, X15 branded 4653 was sat in Ashington on standby!

I can't believe they can't get the bloody allocations right, it begs the question if they even read the list of Max-branded vehicles that I gave them. Dodgy
Site Administrator
(07 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Begs the question where the "usual" MAX is? Surely it's not "in for a service"?  Big Grin

It was on standby at Blyth to cover any late running buses! The only other bus in the depot appeared to be Commander 1402 - which was replaced by Pulsar 1502 after working service 1. Not sure whether it was just a case of buses not being visible or they did actually only have two buses spare out of their entire fleet...
I just can't understand why Arriva can't allocate the correct vehicles most of the time. Is it because:

- Some routes aren't timed correctly?
- Are suitable vehicles not being purchased for the according routes?
- Are Arriva not investing in replacing worn and torn vehicles (i.e 7501-7513 ex7510) on premium services that are constantly breaking down?
- Or can they simply not be bothered?
Site Administrator
(07 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I just can't understand why Arriva can't allocate the correct vehicles most of the time. Is it because:

- Some routes aren't timed correctly?
- Are suitable vehicles not being purchased for the according routes?
- Are Arriva not investing in replacing worn and torn vehicles (i.e 7501-7513 ex7510) on premium services that are constantly breaking down?
- Or can they simply not be bothered?

Think the reason in bold is the main reason for Blyth's allocations going wrong! Even at noon on a Saturday, there seemed to be some dreadful delays to services into and out of Blyth. They only had two spare buses (1402 and a MAX Gemini) and the latter was sat spare and ended up replacing a Volvo Hybrid on the 308 eventually.

I think there was two Pulsars on the Quorum Express alongside 7607 (in corporate livery - but the old Quorum Express branding on the windows was still visible) while Quorum Commander 1402 had been allocated to the 1 and a Quorum Gemini on the 308. There was a Volvo Hybrid and MAX Gemini on the Quorum Express today too.

Great that most services leave Blyth on-time, but that does nothing for the customers in Newcastle who are hit with a delay or those who are travelling into Blyth. Nor does it do anything for those on the X10/X11 who end up without their bus with leather seats and Wi-Fi..!
I think a big part of the reason why the 308 is constantly running late even off peak is beause it's not timed correctly and even more so because it gets too many passengers. It will even still run late Blyth bound from Newcastle Mon to Fri peak on the new timetable because Arriva still aren't taking into account the following factors Newcastle bound during Pm peaks:

- Schools
- Norham Road junction
- Silverlink Junction
- Between Station Road and Newcastle

I know GNE have issues due to the Cobalt causing some 309 / 310 buses from Newcastle to run late (which they'll hopefully solve in March) and that is mainly North Tyneside Council's fault for poor infrastructure planning but apart from normal levels of traffic at peak times, there are no real infrastructure issues affecting the 308. It's merely down to poor planning by Arriva and Arriva don't have two ways fitted either causing problems from the Newcastle end.
(07 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm)Dan wrote Think the reason in bold is the main reason for Blyth's allocations going wrong! Even at noon on a Saturday, there seemed to be some dreadful delays to services into and out of Blyth. They only had two spare buses (1402 and a MAX Gemini) and the latter was sat spare and ended up replacing a Volvo Hybrid on the 308 eventually.

I think there was two Pulsars on the Quorum Express alongside 7607 (in corporate livery - but the old Quorum Express branding on the windows was still visible) while Quorum Commander 1402 had been allocated to the 1 and a Quorum Gemini on the 308. There was a Volvo Hybrid and MAX Gemini on the Quorum Express today too.

Great that most services leave Blyth on-time, but that does nothing for the customers in Newcastle who are hit with a delay or those who are travelling into Blyth. Nor does it do anything for those on the X10/X11 who end up without their bus with leather seats and Wi-Fi..!

I say quite a variety of things on the 55 service while in Newcastle. Not sure if this is a Blyth route?

Saw a Solo, a couple of Pulsars and I think there was an ALX400, but it was leaving Haymarket when we were entering. Could have been on the 45, I really don't know.
Site Administrator
(07 Feb 2015, 9:03 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I say quite a variety of things on the 55 service while in Newcastle. Not sure if this is a Blyth route?

Saw a Solo, a couple of Pulsars and I think there was an ALX400, but it was leaving Haymarket when we were entering. Could have been on the 45, I really don't know.

Anything goes at Jesmond... Difference is - majority of their buses aren't branded!